PDA

View Full Version : IMI Defense holsters?

Slater
03-15-16, 17:38
Anyone have any positive/negative experiences with this particular brand?

http://www.imidefense.com/catalogue/IMI_Holsters.html

jck397
03-15-16, 22:56
I have no experience first-hand, but their designs look like combinations of SERPA for their retention holsters and Fobus for their non-retention holsters (even down to the "roto" click-adjustable cant. I believe that they're the factory supplier for SIG/Sauer's pistol kits that include holsters/mag pouches. Personally I'd go with a sweat sock zip-tied to my belt over anything Fobus-inspired. In all seriousness, for a $40 straight draw holster, I'd go with a Safariland 7377 ALS holster, which offers a far superior retention system and a far better holster build.

SilverCat
03-22-16, 17:35
Not to say that their aren't better options, but I have a p226 holster that I use regularly made by IMI, and it works well. It does not have an adjustable cant, but a fixed cant. (On my model at least)

HCM
03-25-16, 00:12
The IMI holsters are crap. They are sold under several brand names including SIG and i-tac. We have messed with a few during range and DT training and literally destroyed them.

1) Like the SERPA they use the trigger finger to release retention - this is a very bad idea from a human factors / safety standpoint.

2) Poor quality materials. The soft material, similar to FOBUS makes it easy to literally rip the gun out of the holster.

If you want decent Israeli / Israeli made holsters take a look at Front Line Holsters: http://frontline-holsters.com/

deleteyourselph
04-03-16, 18:36
Had one for my CZ 75B. It was just ok...

.46caliber
04-03-16, 20:38
The IMI holsters are crap. They are sold under several brand names including SIG and i-tac. We have messed with a few during range and DT training and literally destroyed them.

OK so no good as a duty holster or for training classes. What about for light use like piddling around the farm, going on a hike through the woods or riding a mild ATV trail?

SomeOtherGuy
04-03-16, 20:48

1) Like the SERPA they use the trigger finger to release retention - this is a very bad idea from a human factors / safety standpoint.

2) Poor quality materials. The soft material, similar to FOBUS makes it easy to literally rip the gun out of the holster.

I've had some of these holsters for years now as CDNN used to sell them dirt cheap. I broke one paddle with very little force. I haven't broken anything else but I am not a fan of them, mostly because of the SERPA-style mechanism.

OK so no good as a duty holster or for training classes. What about for light use like piddling around the farm, going on a hike through the woods or riding a mild ATV trail?

IMHO it's not money well spent. There are some very decent basic Safariland holsters in the $27-30 range for almost any western handgun. I would spend $30 on one of those even if the IWI holster was free. In fact, I have done so.

Take it from someone who's climbed multiple upgrade ladders and owns two dozen worthless holsters and maybe four good ones - never buy a cheap holster.

HCM
04-03-16, 23:50

They are crap. period. Losing a gun outdoors sucks. Putting a round in your leg like Tex Grebner outdoors with a SERPA knock off would suck worse.

Safariland ALS or GLS holsters are good to go and less than $50. There is also a pro fit (multi-fit) version of the GLS available in big box stores like Cabelas and Academy sports.

MegademiC
04-04-16, 07:57
Safariland holsters are like $10-$15 more, and compared to uncle Mikes and fobus... there is no comparison. The imi felt like the latter two. Even real serpas don't feel as solid as the safariland.

I also suggest the als design over the serpa design.

nova3930
04-04-16, 09:05
The one's I got with my P320s did the job till my JW Custom holsters came in but I wouldn't spend money on them. Not comfortable and didn't meet my standards for security, either pistol to holster or holster to person.

HCM
04-11-16, 14:47
Having a holster that doesn't suck is important for outdoor activities, not just tactical stuff :

http://www.kiro7.com/news/hiker-finds-loaded-gun-on-mount-si-trail/205299214

Hiker finds loaded gun on Mount Si trail

When Sean Murphy saw a loaded gun on Mount Si, he knew exactly what to do.

“[The gun was] lying in plain sight,” Murphy wrote to KIRO 7 in an email.

A bullet was in the chamber, he said.

“Any dozens of kids on the trail could have picked it up,” Murphy said. “Only the safety was preventing near tragedy.”

Murphy found the handgun on the Mount Si trail Friday. A woman accidentally dropped it at a rest stop while hiking with her boyfriend, the King County Sheriff's Office said.

With the help of a fellow hiker, Murphy secured the weapon and called 911.

“Together, we brought the gun down the mountain, where she turned it over to police,” Murphy said.

The woman reported the gun as missing later that night, the Sheriff's Office said.