PDA

View Full Version : Retiring from the Army, moving to Costa Rica. Mil contract jobs question.

Todd00000
03-16-16, 17:23
Here's my Costa Rica transportation. Plan on doing contracts in the ME and Africa for walking around money.

Besides Linkedin and Watchdog Jobs, where else should I be looking for military contract work?

Boba Fett v2
03-16-16, 20:37
shooterjobs.com
civiliancontractorjobs.com
indeed.com
clearancejobs.com
Also check out web forums like Shadow Spear and Small Wars Council. There are several others I came across, but can't remember them all at the top of my head. Lots of companies out there you can submit your resume to direct like AT Solutions, Wexford Group, Triple Canopy.... blah blah blah...

Todd00000
03-17-16, 00:16
shooterjobs.com
civiliancontractorjobs.com
indeed.com
clearancejobs.com
Also check out web forums like Shadow Spear and Small Wars Council. There are several others I came across, but can't remember them all at the top of my head. Lots of companies out there you can submit your resume to direct like AT Solutions, Wexford Group, Triple Canopy.... blah blah blah...

Thank you.

SteyrAUG
03-17-16, 00:24
Here's my Costa Rica transportation. Plan on doing contracts in the ME and Africa for walking around money.

Besides Linkedin and Watchdog Jobs, where else should I be looking for military contract work?

Before you take a job in Africa, talk to some people who have worked there first.

I know guys who did multiples in Afghanistan and Iraq and saw really bad shit, who then went on to work in part of Africa and decided they were done for good and didn't want to do anything like this anymore.

Todd00000
03-17-16, 00:53
Before you take a job in Africa, talk to some people who have worked there first.

I know guys who did multiples in Afghanistan and Iraq and saw really bad shit, who then went on to work in part of Africa and decided they were done for good and didn't want to do anything like this anymore.
I currently work for US Army Africa and have no doubt they saw some bad shit. The chances of me taking a high risk security job are low. There is good money for someone with my resume in program management and training jobs.

SteyrAUG
03-17-16, 01:53
I currently work for US Army Africa and have no doubt they saw some bad shit. The chances of me taking a high risk security job are low. There is good money for someone with my resume in program management and training jobs.

Sounds like you already know, just wanted to make sure you did.

eodinert
03-17-16, 09:41
I'm in Africa right now (Mali). As the Brits would say, it's a bit shit. There is a lot happening here, depending on your skill set. Most of the companies here seem to be British, or heavily Brit influenced.

The last company I worked for here was horrid, this one isn't so bad... other than being hoplophobes. If you send me a PM I'll tell you what I know.

Ryno12
03-17-16, 10:07
Let me know if you need someone to look after your 308 while you're over there. ;)

ramairthree
03-17-16, 10:26
Make sure you have totally sorted out the time in country, visits home, etc. cycle.

Tons of money to be saved on taxes in you get that down right.

After almost 30 years in, I retired and am totally conus based.

I make way more than when I was in.

Paying taxes in amounts that make me want to head for the nearest harbour and start tossing sacks of tea.

Eurodriver
03-17-16, 10:40
Paying taxes in amounts that make me want to head for the nearest harbour and start tossing sacks of tea.

Is this foreign taxes or American taxes?

Boba Fett v2
03-17-16, 11:56

Amen.

Although I know overseas is where all the big money is, I'm quite content working as an independent contractor for a company that provides training and consulting services primarily for DoD civilians, and most of my work is all within CONUS. Yeah, there's still a lot of traveling involved, but I'm not stuck in some third world shit hole and I'm no longer getting shot or blown up. Life's good.

TheChunkNorris
03-17-16, 12:01
Is this foreign taxes or American taxes?

American taxes... I'm a contractor now. We have a couple guys who live abroad and like it but come Security Clearance renewal time, I can almost guarantee you're going to need a face to face. What type of work are you looking for?

ramairthree
03-17-16, 14:28
For me, I am all US.

I get paid far more than I did in the military.
I no longer have combat zone time offsetting some taxable income.
I am now a resident of the state I retired in, so no more home of record zero state income tax.

I don't except extra work all the time now.

Once you pay 120k in federal taxes,
You are now making about 50 cents on the dollar thanks to state and federal taxes.

And if you add in property, fuel, sales taxes etc. how much are we actually getting of each dollar we earn?

Anyways, a system skimming 50% off the top is more than I can take. Maybe if we were trying to reach and terraform planets to save the human race, or fighting a war that would mean game over to the US, but not for fire and police and rescue services disproportionately going to those that don't pay for them, section 8, EBTs, medical care for scumbags, education for those that proudly stay illiterate, etc. and all the country wants to do is hit me up for more because I am not doing my fair share.

I came from a family of high school drop out manual laborers and enlisted as an E1. I made decisions, sought paths, controlled impulses, worked long and hard and got where I am. As soon as the kids are out of college,
I am not saying I am going Galt. But I will take my ball and go home except for maybe two days a week.

And the news is all a buzz with the love for Bernie.
Who will fund things from pools of money that are not big enough to fund them from.
Which would destroy the pools.
And nobody will make any effort to make another pool.

With overseas contracting, you can time your visits to the US, vacation time in other countries, etc. and significantly reduce your US tax burden. Which is all you are responsible for with everyone I know that has done it.

Todd00000
03-17-16, 15:02
With overseas contracting, you can time your visits to the US, vacation time in other countries, etc. and significantly reduce your US tax burden. Which is all you are responsible for with everyone I know that has done it.That's the plan.

Todd00000
03-17-16, 15:06
Let me know if you need someone to look after your 308 while you're over there. ;)

The 308 is ok, but the Testarossa needs some company.38382
I used to have money, but I traded it for Ferraris.

WillBrink
03-17-16, 15:28

How did you pick Costa Rica? I have a place in Panama and go regularly. I know a fair number or ret mill in Panama who take contracts for a few months to pay their bills then back to Panama. A few have gotten work regionally but it's tough. Good luck with the job searches.

Eurodriver
03-17-16, 16:34
Once you pay 120k in federal taxes,
You are now making about 50 cents on the dollar thanks to state and federal taxes.

And if you add in property, fuel, sales taxes etc. how much are we actually getting of each dollar we earn?

Anyways, a system skimming 50% off the top is more than I can take. Maybe if we were trying to reach and terraform planets to save the human race, or fighting a war that would mean game over to the US, but not for fire and police and rescue services disproportionately going to those that don't pay for them, section 8, EBTs, medical care for scumbags, education for those that proudly stay illiterate, etc. and all the country wants to do is hit me up for more because I am not doing my fair share.

I came from a family of high school drop out manual laborers and enlisted as an E1. I made decisions, sought paths, controlled impulses, worked long and hard and got where I am. As soon as the kids are out of college,
I am not saying I am going Galt. But I will take my ball and go home except for maybe two days a week.

And the news is all a buzz with the love for Bernie.
Who will fund things from pools of money that are not big enough to fund them from.
Which would destroy the pools.
And nobody will make any effort to make another pool.

There is some real brilliance in this post.

Ryno12
03-17-16, 17:45
The 308 is ok, but the Testarossa needs some company.38382
I used to have money, but I traded it for Ferraris.

I guess I could make room for it. :)

alvincullumyork
03-17-16, 19:11

Nice XR! And that sounds like an awesome retirement.

My brother took an XR from Oregon to the tip of South America and back when he was done with the Marines. I don't know anything about contractor jobs but I know the XR like the back of my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boba Fett v2
03-17-16, 20:00
How did you pick Costa Rica? I have a place in Panama and go regularly. I know a fair number or ret mill in Panama who take contracts for a few months to pay their bills then back to Panama. A few have gotten work regionally but it's tough. Good luck with the job searches.
You got me seriously thinking about packing up shop and relocating to Panama. Any other gun friendly non-third world shit holes worth considering?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Todd00000
03-18-16, 00:38

We've talked about this before. I have visited CR many times and have friends there, friends that own hotels and rental property. I will explore Panama once I'm down there.

WillBrink
03-18-16, 07:52
You got me seriously thinking about packing up shop and relocating to Panama. Any other gun friendly non-third world shit holes worth considering?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't know the others like I know Panama, but Peru, Colombia, and Equador are getting attention these days and I do some to have moved to those countries from Panama. Panama is the most gun friendly and if a resident, a license not terribly difficult to get but choices limited and costs high.

A lot of ex mil choose Panama for various reasons.

SteyrAUG
03-18-16, 13:41
I don't know the others like I know Panama, but Peru, Colombia, and Equador are getting attention these days and I do some to have moved to those countries from Panama. Panama is the most gun friendly and if a resident, a license not terribly difficult to get but choices limited and costs high.

A lot of ex mil choose Panama for various reasons.

Is is possible to have something like a MP5 or M16/M4?

WillBrink
03-18-16, 16:42
We've talked about this before. I have visited CR many times and have friends there, friends that own hotels and rental property. I will explore Panama once I'm down there.

I don't recall the conversation but I don't recall what I ate for lunch, so all good.

WillBrink
03-18-16, 16:45

Not sure on the former, I believe a no on the latter. Handguns, hunting rifles, shot guns I believe. Oddly, many of the police have ARs converted to 9mm. How/why I don't l know, but LOL worthy when I see it.

Boba Fett v2
03-18-16, 17:13

I don't think there are any restrictions on semi-auto rifles. Full-auto and suppressors are a no-go. Found this during my search for answers last night.

http://www.panamalaw.org/panama_gun_laws.html#

Introduction – This article is written for the Ex-Pat who has legally become a resident of the Republic of Panama and wishes to acquire a firearm. We will walk you through the process. Tourists can not acquire firearms in Panama. You must have a residency or be a Pensionado. You do not need to retain a lawyer to purchase a gun. If you have permission to buy the firearm you can carry it concealed on your person, in your pocket or purse, in your vehicle etc. Certain buildings have a firearms prohibited sign on the entrance and of course you should obey these signs. Banks, airports, government offices have such signs. So there are no concealed carry permits in Panama, if you can buy the gun lawfully you can carry it concealed. Exposed carry of the firearm is not allowed and will cause police attention fast.

Types of Guns in Panama – You can buy handguns (semi-auto handguns, revolvers), rifles and shotguns. You can have hi-capacity magazines in any type gun, no restrictions. You can not have full-auto firearms. You can have semi-auto rifles and handguns. You can not have a silencer. Guns are costly in Panama, figure 50% higher than North America on name brand guns like Ruger, Sig Sauer, Smith, Remington, etc. Gun dealers generally do not have a large inventory in Panama. Expect to see 10 or so rifles and shotguns in stock and perhaps as many handguns. Many of the guns will be cheapies from Argentina and Russia. The dealer can order you what you want but expect a wait of 2-3 months or more then add in the time for the permission to buy the gun to go through.

The Gun Buying Process in Panama – First you go to the gun store and prove to them you are eligible to buy a firearm by way of Residency, Pensionado, etc. Next you select a gun and pay for it. Then the gun store will have you go to the bathroom and pee in a cup which is a medical sample cup. Then you will be given a form to take to a government health office for a finger prick blood test – DNA sample. Plan on a wait to get your blood sample. Next the gun store sends the paperwork through the police system. It goes to three departments and can take 6-10 weeks to clear. When it is complete you get the gun. More than one gun can be bought at the same time. You also get a gun permit which is a folded piece of green cardboard paper which a photo on it. You can enter up to 10 guns on the permit. Panama does not limit amount of guns so if you earn more than 10 guns an additional listing page will be provided for the permit. The police will take ballistic sample of a fired round.

Sawed off Shotguns and Short Barreled Rifles – These are legal in Panama. They are not sold that way but can be modified by a gunsmith to suit. Pistol grip shotguns with no shoulder stock are generally available in the stores with an 18” barrel and a large magazine underneath. Double barrel shotguns are available and of course can easily be shortened by a gunsmith; you could even add a choke so the short barrel groups tight. Short barrel rifles can also be created by a gunsmith but the purpose of this is hard to determine other than slightly reducing the barrel length on an assault rifle but in any event it is lawful. I guess some want to do it because they could not do so in their home country?

Ammo- No armor piercing ammo allowed. Hollow points, high speed light weight defensive rounds etc. are fine.

Firearm Importation into Panama – This is possible. Generally this appeals to Americans since they seem to have lots of firearms. You go to a gun store and get their assistance. You apply for an importation permit which is something like the same process for a purchase if you do not already have a permit. It is easier if you have a permit. Then you get permission to import the weapon into Panama. There can be problems and restrictions shipping a firearm from other countries like the USA which require the services of a licensed gun dealer able to export. You would Fed Ex the unloaded gun with paperwork from USA and Panama to Panama. Then you would hope for the best and that things sort themselves out before the gun rusts out in some non-climate controlled government warehouse somewhere. You will be required to pay an import duty which can be steep. A customs broker would be best source for costs on this, we do not know but a guess would be 50% of the value – is it new or used, etc. We are a law firm not a customs broker. If you have a question about bringing in some rare special gun like a Browning Safari Grade Rifle or a Heckler and Koch squeeze cocker handgun we really have no idea what the taxes will be. First become eligible for buy a gun and then retain a customs broker. Suggestion: Skip the importation process, buy a gun in Panama.

Ranges – There are an ample amount of indoor handgun ranges and outdoor ranges. No worries.

Knives – You can carry concealed knives. Do not carry an exposed sheath knife in the city – asking for trouble from the police. There are no blade size restrictions. You can carry butterfly knives, automatic knifes, gravity or flick knives, out the front knives, double edge folders (carry Band-Aids) whatever kind of knife. Most of the available knives are the cheapos, sometime you see a medium grade product like a Smith and Wesson knife. Bring your good knives with you, not in carry on. Do not take knives into government buildings, airports, banks and other restricted places. It will come up on the metal detector.

Pepper Spray – Readily available small canisters. No permits needed. Decent quality, not gourmet pepper spray but effective enough.

Swords, Tonfas, Batons, Billy Clubs, Staffs, Nunchukas – All readily available and not restricted.

Panama is a very safe country and you probably will never need to use your firearm to defend yourself.

Legal Disclaimer – Nothing in this website including this page is to be construed as legal advice. For legal advice go see a lawyer. When we say a weapon is readily available and so forth we mean it can be purchased and possessed. Usage is an entirely other matter with complex legal implications – go see a lawyer for legal advice. Carrying weapons into government buildings, airports, embassies, consulates and other restricted places can cause immediate legal problems of a serious nature – ask a lawyer for legal advice.

Also found this list of 10 best countries for gun owners. I haven't ruled out any of the European options, but I'm in favor of a more tropical climate.

10 Best Countries for Gun Owners (http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-countries-gun-owners/)

My wife and I were talking about this last night and she's open to the idea. Considering we both work for the same company and work from home for the most part, where we reside isn't that big a deal.

Todd00000
03-19-16, 05:25
I don't recall the conversation but I don't recall what I ate for lunch, so all good.

LOL. Right now Costa Rica is the easy choice. I have friends to rent from and leave the bike with when I take a contract.