PDA

View Full Version : Crye Loft Jacket or Arc'teryx Naga

w3453l
03-16-16, 22:54
I'm looking for a jacket to use for some extended stays outdoors. Something to be used for shooting/camping/hiking trips.

Temperatures can get as low as about 35 - 40 degrees F.

Now the lowest temps would be in the night where I'd be either by a fire, or in a sleeping bag. So the jacket doesn't have to be extremely warm.

The two that I've narrowed down my decision to are the Naga from Arc'teryx and the Loft jacket from Crye Precision. I want something decently warm with the ability to break wind, but at the same time I'm looking for slim/low profile. The Crye Loft jacket looks to be more of a slim fit/tighter against the body, which is a plus for me. As far as the Naga goes, I see that the Gen II is a looser fit. Being that I will also be wearing this on hikes with gear I feel that a slimmer fit would be better. From what I see it looks like the Crye is meant to be worn under extra layers whereas the Arc'teryx is made looser for additional layers to be placed underneath.

They're both about the same price, but can anyone weigh in on the jacket from Crye? I see that Arc'teryx has a strong following, but it's hard to find anything on Crye Precision. I like that the Crye is made in the US; I'm not sure about the Arc'teryx Naga. I've heard some complaints about Arc'teryx's recent products being made oversees.

The cost of the jackets really isn't a problem as I really want quality. I know there's alternatives to the LEAF from Arc'teryx, but I really don't want any of the flashy colors commonly used on most civy hiking gear.

Thanks

TXBK
03-16-16, 23:56
What is the location of your outdoor activities?

The Naga Hoody is intended as a mid-layer, and that is how I use it so I cannot advise on using it as an outer layer. It has an athletic fit, but is generous enough in fit to allow a base layer to fit comfortably. It doesn't excel at repelling wind or water, so I would have a water/windproof shell to use with the Naga if needed. The Atom LT may be a better option, due to its lightweight insulation as well as better wind and water resistance than the Naga. The best option would be the Alpha LT, because it is water/windproof is keeps you quite warm for its weight. The gore-tex wicks moisture away very effectively, and the pit zips allow you to regulate your temperature more efficiently. All of the Arcteryx offerings work well outdoors with packs and/or harnesses, because they were designed to do so. Arcteryx is worth the cost to me.

I don't have any experience with the Crye jacket.

drtywk
03-17-16, 02:06
Of the two you have listed, they are in two different categories, as stated by TXBK. I would also recommend the Atom Lt, as it is most like the Crye Loft Jacket. The Naga is a layering garment, and does a great job in that role, but requires an over-garment for wind/rain protection. I have a Naga Hoody and an Atom SV, the warmer variant of the Atom series, and am getting ready to pick up an Atom LT for when the SV and Naga aren't feasible. Most Arc'teryx products are made overseas, as are the majority of other brands, it is what it is. I am not sure where the Crye Loft jacket is made, but would guess that it isn't the US, due to cost.

Of the two options that you list, I would select the Crye, however, the Arc'teryx Atom LT should be at the top of your list, based purely on your requirements. It is going to be almost identical in performance to the Crye and there are some good deals out there for the Arc'teryx products. Crye availability is very hit and miss.

w3453l
03-17-16, 02:30
Thanks I'll look at the Atom LT that was mentioned.

TXBX, the majority of the activities will be in the high desert. Mojave to be exact, as well as northern CA. While rain won't be extremely common, small scattered showers have happened. Although in the case that I saw rain coming I'd be dressing/preparing differently.

ggammell
03-17-16, 04:47
I have both the Naga and the Atom LT. The Naga is by far the warmest fleece I've ever used but it is definitely not windproof. The Atom LT is awesome and actually incorporates the same fleece as the Naga on side panels for mobility. That jacket is awesome. It's one of my top five favorite things of all time. Like putting on a warm air. The coreloft insulation seems a little ticker than its primal off equivalent and I think it makes a difference. My Atom is definitely warmer than another jacket I have with the same weight class primaloft.

themonk
03-17-16, 06:07
I would also recommend the Atom. Its a very lightweight jacket that can be used as a mid-layer or a stand alone piece. The Atom plus a shell you should be good to go down into the single digits. The Naga is just a mid-layer fleece with a hood. I think Arc'teryx makes better mid-layer solutions then the Naga, so if you wanted to go down this road I would recommend you look around at other options.

The Loft jacket is Crye's take on the Atom. It has a number of features that the Atom does not but you pay for them. The Atom was an Arc'teryx LEAF R&D project that turned out to be a hit. Out of that R&D project they came up with Coreloft which is Arc'teryx's synthetic insulation. It's actually the only piece of gear that has moved from the LEAF side house over to the commercial side and has now sparked a whole line of Coreloft insulated pieces.

Arc'teryx has since changed the name of the Atom on LEAF side to the COLD WX JACKET LT - http://leaf.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Cold_Weather_Insulation&model=Cold-WX-Jacket-LT

Here is the link for the Atom on the commercial side - http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&model=Atom-LT-Jacket

jstalford
03-17-16, 09:19
I have an atom lt and highly recommend it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledanek
03-17-16, 22:05
Introduced my wife on the Atom line and now she got two :mad: (gen 1 and gen 2=adjustment on the hood)
She couldn't believe how light the Atom was and if she sweat, it wicked away fairly quickly. Her Gen 2 to me (yes I steal it from her) is a little heavier, hence, I sweat wearing them indoors too long, but, awesome outdoor. Gen 1, I can stay wearing them both in and outdoors. Atom stay on your sweater size.

Gen1 Naga are awesome, just ashamed with my belly: prominent, but, not enough to rest my beer on top. Great for all around fall and spring weather minus wet conditions. Go up one size

Shell is a Arc'teryx Alpha LT, top and bottom. Great stopping wind and rain, a little noisy in the beginning. I stopped looking at any other combination jackets, just concentrating on mid layers from now on.

Outlet stores are your best on your beer-budget. :o

Up1911fan
03-17-16, 23:42
Go with the Atom LT, the Naga is a Hoody, not an outer layer.

TXBK
03-18-16, 11:18
Thanks I'll look at the Atom LT that was mentioned.

TXBX, the majority of the activities will be in the high desert. Mojave to be exact, as well as northern CA. While rain won't be extremely common, small scattered showers have happened. Although in the case that I saw rain coming I'd be dressing/preparing differently.

I think you will definitely be more satisfied with the Atom LT (http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/collections/arcteryx-leaf/products/arcteryx-atom-lt-hoody-gen-2?variant=1215493949) over the Naga, in that situation.

GJG
03-19-16, 13:24
I picked up the non-LEAF Atom LT and have been wearing in the tail end of a milder Michigan winter. I really like it, and I think it will fit your bill better than the Naga fabric.

I have had an Atom SV (now, I think the AR) for colder temps for a couple years, and it is the bomb. With a wool shirt and a pair of flannel lined Arborwear or Carhartt pants, I am usually good to go. The SV/AR is a looser fit compared to the LT (either that, or my wife is right and I have packed on a few lbs...).

w3453l
03-26-16, 09:53
Just wanted to give an update. I tried on the Atom LT finally, and yeah I think that will do it. It was on sale for $190, so I may just go back and grab it. Thanks everyone for the input.