PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament Alpha Suppressor

VIP3R 237
03-17-16, 16:15
I saw this posted on Wevo and wanted to repost it here.

Griffin has been coming out with some pretty innovative products lately. The Alpha is a user serviceable centerfire can that is magnum and full auto rated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQD1jU7O9Vw

Ryno12
03-17-16, 17:50
SilencerShop has them in stock too.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-alpha.html

freddiemorales
05-13-16, 04:29
For sure they are available for sale but price is just scary!

Military students have discount at http://cheapessaywriter.net/ as we know how important back up is!

TheChunkNorris
05-13-16, 09:24
For sure they are available for sale but price is just scary!

Military students have discount at http://cheapessaywriter.net/ as we know how important back up is!

The price isn't that bad at all.

Eurodriver
05-13-16, 11:38
Why would anyone need a user serviceable centerfire rifle can?

Ryno12
05-13-16, 11:40

Why not??

TheChunkNorris
05-13-16, 11:49

It's really a multi caliber can and that's what's selling now... don't understand why this is even a question as if it's a bad thing to have a serviceable can.

Eurodriver
05-13-16, 14:03
Why not??

In that case, I want a suppressor that gets me 38DD titties rubbed in my face whenever I use it. Because why not, right?

It's really a multi caliber can and that's what's selling now... don't understand why this is even a question as if it's a bad thing to have a serviceable can.

It is a bad thing when it adds complexity, creates a higher cost, and is generally unnecessary. It's widely accepted that centerfire rifle cans never need to be serviced, and it should be widely understood that a fully welded can will be inherently stronger than something that is serviceable.

But I suppose folks like wasting their money and drooling over the latest and greatest stuff on Instagram. In a market where skull shaped lower receivers sell out I don't even begin to understand why anymore.

VIP3R 237
05-13-16, 14:09
User serviceable is nice so you can shoot rimfire out of the same can you throw on your 5.56 without f*in it up.

TheChunkNorris
05-13-16, 15:30
User serviceable is nice when you can shoot rimfire out of the same can you throw on your 5.56 without f*in it up.

+1.... you're right.

KalashniKEV
05-13-16, 16:12
User serviceable is nice so you can shoot rimfire out of the same can you throw on your 5.56 without f*in it up.

That's what I was going to say- because dudes are going to shoot .22 out of it.

Also as unnecessary as it is, it allows you to inspect the condition of your stack.

Also I guess it would make it super easy for Griffin to replace a worn or damaged stack when some joker screws it on the end of his home threaded MAK-90.

It is a bad thing when it adds complexity, creates a higher cost, and is generally unnecessary. It's widely accepted that centerfire rifle cans never need to be serviced, and it should be widely understood that a fully welded can will be inherently stronger than something that is serviceable.

1) It's not that expensive.

2) Play the vid. They screw it on a 240 and blaze.

tb-av
05-13-16, 17:35
But I suppose folks like wasting their money and drooling over the latest and greatest stuff on Instagram. In a market where skull shaped lower receivers sell out I don't even begin to understand why anymore.

.22lr $400+$200
.45 $650+$200
Rifle $850+$200

Or.. .one can for the user that is a casual shooter $1,200 w/Stamp.

If it is sufficiently strong and guaranteed AND does a decent job, it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

It's like you are saying everyone needs a specific car or truck for whatever they do on any given day. Some people just need their daily driver and a nice trailer. Not everyone is slinging lead down range at a $100 a minute.

I talked to a guy the other day that casts .300blk bullets. A sealed can may be the 'Best' but 'Good' and 'Better' may be all a lot of people need.

$1200 vs $2600 ... that's a lot of ammo.

Eurodriver
05-14-16, 08:05

+1.... you're right.

I understand the benefits of user serviceable for rimfire. That's why I......bought a user serviceable rimfire can. It's also shorter and weighs 10oz less than the Griffin.

I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat and be content that I earn enough money so as to make this product useless.

TheChunkNorris
05-14-16, 08:14
I understand the benefits of user serviceable for rimfire. That's why I......bought a user serviceable rimfire can. It's also shorter and weighs 10oz less than the Griffin.

I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat and be content that I earn enough money so as to make this product useless.

I didn't realize this a competition to be won? Some people like the Hybrid/Multi can set ups. I for one have dedicated cans but there's a very obvious reason that someone would buy these. What you earn is irrelevant.

Eurodriver
05-14-16, 08:27
I didn't realize this a competition to be won? Some people like the Hybrid/Multi can set ups. I for one have dedicated cans but there's a very obvious reason that someone would buy these. What you earn is irrelevant.

Not a competition, but the back and forth isn't really getting us anywhere. I guess I bring a different need to the thread, which is why I don't see the point. Some people buy shit because its cool. Some people like to have "one" thing, as was stated, that can fill multiple roles in order to save money.

I don't collect guns; each gun I own does "something". That job either requires a suppressor (Shooting at 3am with NV, for example) or it doesn't. If it doesn't require a can, it doesn't get a can. If it does, then it's going to get a can best suited for that gun and live on that host. I.E. My Glock 19 wears an Octane 9. My 22/45 wears a Pilot 2. If a gun is setup for suppressed use, it's never shot unsuppressed. So what purpose does having a 30 caliber can that can be used as a 22 can serve me?

Ryno12
05-14-16, 08:48
If you can't understand it, then it's not for you. Nobody's gonna convince you & you're not gonna convince the proponents.

I can see I'm not going to win this, so I'll retreat...
For real this time? [emoji6]

A5scott
05-14-16, 15:29
I have dedicated suppressors coming for many firearms I own, including a few more from Griffin Armament. I currently have a Recce 5 and 7, and they work really well. The Alpha looks like a great can, the next step after the Recce 7. 14.5 ounces for a full auto rated 308 can? Yeah, I would like one.

scott

sandsunsurf
05-14-16, 16:57
Why not??

All welded design is stronger.

The threads are not as likely to hold. Think about the intense pressure that occurs as the gun discharges. Rifle rounds have much higher pressures than rimfire and pistols. The tube expands, the end cap or mount doesn't. This can lead to parts unscrewing or just outright failing. I've seen the results of exactly this on a Gemtech G-5 on a too short rifle (not bashing the Gemtech, I own two). The mount is threaded into the tube and that's a weak spot. The can separated. The company took care of it for my friend, despite it likely being used outside the guidelines.

I can't see any benefit to having a weaker design that allows me to clean something that doesn't need to be cleaned.

With all that said, this is a nice looking suppressor and they sure shot the heck out of it. Maybe if I could only have one can....

Ryno12
05-14-16, 17:27

The threads are not as likely to hold. Think about the intense pressure that occurs as the gun discharges. Rifle rounds have much higher pressures than rimfire and pistols. The tube expands, the end cap or mount doesn't. This can lead to parts unscrewing or just outright failing. I've seen the results of exactly this on a Gemtech G-5 on a too short rifle (not bashing the Gemtech, I own two). The mount is threaded into the tube and that's a weak spot. The can separated. The company took care of it for my friend, despite it likely being used outside the guidelines.

I can't see any benefit to having a weaker design that allows me to clean something that doesn't need to be cleaned.

With all that said, this is a nice looking suppressor and they sure shot the heck out of it. Maybe if I could only have one can....

...and yet the threads held.

Ironman8
05-14-16, 21:24
I'm deciding between the Alpha and Recce 7 right now and was considering the Alpha mainly because I figured it would be easier to replace an end cap or baffle stack in the event of a round striking it as opposed to only being able to repair it through the manufacturer (yes I'm aware GA won't sell individual baffles, unfortunately). I wasn't planning on using it for .22 LR and the weight reduction, while nice, isn't a deal breaker for me. Also, if the can does gain a couple ounces even from centerfire ammo, it wouldn't be the worst thing to be able to clean it.

The only thing that has me still looking at the R7 is the fact it is welded and "should" be more robust.

nml
05-14-16, 23:42
It looks like they've taken precautions to keep the end cap on. I've seen them come off on 5.56 platforms before. If they are close enough and the bullet doesn't kill them they still might get a face full of baffles.

TheChunkNorris
05-15-16, 05:03

You're pointing out a failure in one system and using that as logic for something that's designed differently.

A5scott
05-15-16, 15:02
The tube of the Alpha looks to be stronger around the end cap. The bend in the tube makes it more rigid, and the larger pressure bearing surface at the end cap may spread the pressure force against that larger end cap and reduce the force on the threads.

scott

Benito
05-15-16, 19:23
I was under the impression that 17-4<Inconel<Stellite. I am surprised to see not only just -7-4 in a premium suppressor, but the claim that 17-4 is the most durable choice. Not saying that's wrong, just saying that I am confused about this.

vereceleritas
05-16-16, 22:50
Annealed 17-4 is quite similar to aged 718 Inconel in hardness and strength. Not all stainless steels are created equal and I think the idea of stainless being inferior to Inconel has to do with the use of 316L stainless in older suppressor designs. 316L is not even on the same level as 17-4. They're literally measured on different hardness scales. Stellite should be harder than both 17-4 and 718 Inconel though, at least on paper. Marketing probably has a lot to do with our perception of Inconel as well.

JoshNC
05-16-16, 23:19

FWIW I completely agree with you.

Chuck TX
05-21-16, 19:35
Not a competition, but the back and forth isn't really getting us anywhere. I guess I bring a different need to the thread, which is why I don't see the point. Some people buy shit because its cool. Some people like to have "one" thing, as was stated, that can fill multiple roles in order to save money.

I don't collect guns; each gun I own does "something". That job either requires a suppressor (Shooting at 3am with NV, for example) or it doesn't. If it doesn't require a can, it doesn't get a can. If it does, then it's going to get a can best suited for that gun and live on that host. I.E. My Glock 19 wears an Octane 9. My 22/45 wears a Pilot 2. If a gun is setup for suppressed use, it's never shot unsuppressed. So what purpose does having a 30 caliber can that can be used as a 22 can serve me?

For you, none. For people that want one can to interchange on different firearms it serves their purpose. If a person already has multiple suppressors the modular cans may not do much for them. For someone looking at getting their first suppressor, who may not believe they want more than one, a multi-use can that is user serviceable has a lot of appeal. Different strokes, different needs. Pretty simple.

Eurodriver
05-21-16, 19:52
Annealed 17-4 is quite similar to aged 718 Inconel in hardness and strength. Not all stainless steels are created equal and I think the idea of stainless being inferior to Inconel has to do with the use of 316L stainless in older suppressor designs. 316L is not even on the same level as 17-4. They're literally measured on different hardness scales. Stellite should be harder than both 17-4 and 718 Inconel though, at least on paper. Marketing probably has a lot to do with our perception of Inconel as well.

Thanks for the information. I had the same concerns as Benito.

For you, none. For people that want one can to interchange on different firearms it serves their purpose. If a person already has multiple suppressors the modular cans may not do much for them. For someone looking at getting their first suppressor, who may not believe they want more than one, a multi-use can that is user serviceable has a lot of appeal. Different strokes, different needs. Pretty simple.

Seems legit. After looking more into this can its grown on me - it still doesn't fill a need but it's weight is pretty low for a full auto rated 308 can and the post above quelled any concerns I was having about it being SS.

Chuck TX
05-22-16, 04:24
Thanks for the information. I had the same concerns as Benito.

Seems legit. After looking more into this can its grown on me - it still doesn't fill a need but it's weight is pretty low for a full auto rated 308 can and the post above quelled any concerns I was having about it being SS.

Another good thing about modular style suppressors, they might get some more folks "into the game" so to speak. For many getting 3 dedicated suppressors and dropping $600 on stamps might be kind of daunting no matter how much green they're rolling in. Or even spending $200 on a stamp for one when they find out it's a bad idea to shoot 22LR through it could be a turn off. A person sees that they can cover the bases starting with one, theyll be more inclined to go for it. That's a good thing.

1911-A1
10-31-16, 10:46
Anyone have sound tests on this can? I can't find any info on the levels.

TheChunkNorris
11-01-16, 04:14
Anyone have sound tests on this can? I can't find any info on the levels.

I believe NFA Review did one but don't know if they did the full spectrum of calibers. I've heard one in person on a .308 (Armalite AR10) and it was quiet... I know that doesn't help you though.

Joelski
11-01-16, 05:38
In that case, I want a suppressor that gets me 38DD titties rubbed in my face whenever I use it. Because why not, right?

ERATHR3 is in the suppressor game now?

1911-A1
11-03-16, 22:53
I believe NFA Review did one but don't know if they did the full spectrum of calibers. I've heard one in person on a .308 (Armalite AR10) and it was quiet... I know that doesn't help you though.

Do you have a link to it? I searched his channel and it doesn't appear he's done any Griffin product reviews.

TheChunkNorris
11-03-16, 23:25
Do you have a link to it? I searched his channel and it doesn't appear he's done any Griffin product reviews.

I can't find it for the life me! This is going to drive me insane.