PDA

View Full Version : Is Remington Express 00 Buckshot OK to Shoot in my Full Choke Classic 1967 12 Gauge?

zippygaloo
08-20-08, 13:09
I have a classic 1967 Full Choke 2-3/4" Chamber J.C. Higgins (Sears) Model 20 12-Gauge Shotgun.

I bought some 2-3/4" Remington Express 00 Buckshot (9 Pellet Count). Will this shotgun shoot this load without any problems? (i.e. Danger or Damage)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/2653748062_b6e36d5b3d.jpg

ErikL
08-20-08, 14:06
You shouldn't have any problems with the pressure if thats what you are worried about, the gun is made with modern metals. I played around with different choke tubes and a friends Remington 1100 comp gun and I noticed that the full choke patterned worse than the more open chokes. I was told it was because the pellets were getting crushed together and deformed causing them to be less stable at further distances. so you might want to pattern it at what ever distances you think you will be shooting to make sure it is acceptable to you.

Buck
08-20-08, 14:43
Sounds fun... Take a light weight shotgun with a old hard rubber recoil pad and a full choke barrel.. Just add some full house 00 buck and go to town... Better hold on tight... My shoulder aches just thinking about it...

B

chuckles
08-20-08, 20:17
Your shotgun is a very nice one. All the previous poster meant was that full power buckshot loads, even 2 3/4", pack a pretty hard recoil. Without a good modern recoil pad, you will likely sport a nice bruise after 10 or so rounds. 12 gauge buck loads pack a wallop on both ends of the shotgun. Enjoy that beautiful shotgun.

Buck
08-21-08, 12:57
I don't understand. Why is this bad? Does the choke affect recoil? Does the 00 Buckshot add recoil?

Not bad, just painful... Yes & yes...

Why is my shotgun considered "light weight"?

Most pumps are lighter than autos, and a lot of older pumps are lighter than newer ones...

My recoil pad is old and hard like you said. Should I replace it? If so, what should I replace it with and what model/size etc.?

I would take it to a pro... Try to find a smith in your area who works on bird guns... They should be able to replace the pad so it looks like a factory job for around $75...

Did I make a poor choice with the 00 Buckshot?

I dont think so... You may want to find a second barrel for your shotgun for home defense (20 inch IC)...

B

P.S. Your shotgun was made by High Standard as a model 200...

Medicine Calf
11-14-08, 07:07
sheesh. :confused:

Medicine Calf
11-14-08, 07:08
Nice weapon. Just shoot it. Low recoil ammo is modern and practical, but the traditional load is not going to hurt you. It may give you a little spanking you if you let it, but...

Look for barrels on Gunbroker.