PDA

View Full Version : MK262 vs. SSA/Nosler 77gr.

Lamented
03-18-16, 10:35
I was wondering about the SSA 77gr loaded with the Nosler 77gr. OTM Custom Competition loaded in 5.56
cannelured and crimped

I read somewhere that the Nosler Has a thinner jacket than the Black Hills resulting in better fragmentation.

Just wondering if any one has any experience with this round and why it isn't talked about as a self defense round.

Molon
03-18-16, 18:42
I read somewhere that the Nosler Has a thinner jacket than the Black Hills resulting in better fragmentation.

Nosler 77 Grain Custom Competition

http://www.box.net/shared/static/86klxvot6n.jpg

In 2003, Nosler introduced their .224" 77 grain Custom Competition HPBT bullet as an obvious competitor to the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing. The shape and ballistic coefficient of the Nosler bullet is very similar to that of the Sierra MatchKing. The Nosler bullet does have one major difference from the Sierra MatchKing; it is constructed using the thinner J4 copper jacket.

I recall an early Nosler advertisement for their Custom Competition bullet that included a phrase saying the bullet was “ideal for military and law enforcement,” hinting at the possibilities of improved fragmentation due to the thinner J4 jacket. Thanks to the works of Dr. G.K. Roberts and B&T Ammo Labs, we know that the 77 grain Nosler bullet loaded to 5.56mm velocities has superior terminal ballistic properties to that of the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing loaded in MK262. The terminal ballistic properties of the 77 grain Nosler bullet loaded to 5.56mm velocities rival that of the Hornady 75 grain 5.56mm TAP load.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/7o1m91jglj.jpg
Courtesy of Dr. G.K. Roberts

http://www.box.net/shared/static/2dd2z0yyxn.jpg
Courtesy of B&T Ammo Labs

Sensei
04-02-16, 22:58
Unfortunately, it does not appear that Nosler is going to continue the SSA 556 load with this bullet. The only factory load will be in 223. :(

That's too bad. I always used the SSA load as a back-up to feed my Mk12 builds when my TAP T2 supplies were running low. I found very little POI shift between the 2 loads and decent accuracy and consistency with SSA. The T2 was my favorite due to crimped / sealed primers and bullets.

Lamented
04-02-16, 23:27
Unfortunately, it does not appear that Nosler is going to continue the SSA 556 load with this bullet. The only factory load will be in 223. :(

That's too bad. I always used the SSA load as a back-up to feed my Mk12 builds when my TAP T2 supplies were running low. I found very little POI shift between the 2 loads and decent accuracy and consistency with SSA. The T2 was my favorite due to crimped / sealed primers and bullets.

Are you sure about them discontinuing this round?

Sensei
04-03-16, 00:16
Are you sure about them discontinuing this round?

It's no longer listed on the Nosler/SSA website and Midway has it listed as "discontinued." I'll call Nosler on Monday, but things are not looking good as of today.

You can of course still buy the Nosler bullet and roll your own...