PDA

View Full Version : Yet another armor question, Spartan Armor

85cucvtom
03-19-16, 10:33
Hey guys, Ive been around for a while and haven't posted much so here goes. I'm looking to buy two sets of hard armor for me and my fiance. I am an avid shooter and big 2A guy as well as an aspiring photojournalist. She works as a full time photojournalist for a local paper. Needless to say we both cover a lot of raids, standoffs, political protests, sticky situations etc. It would also be nice to have as a worst case scenario thing.

I'm in Cleveland Ohio and I'll have to cover the RNC this summer and the way things look now, it could get interesting. So I figured now is as good of a time as ever to buy some armor. The armor plates and carriers will live in the trunk of a car for most of its life and mine will make it to our range a few times a month. I've been looking at the Spartan III+ Armaply 10x12 plates because they fit our budget nicely and don't seem too heavy.

https://www.spartanarmorsystems.com/armaply-10x12-set-of-two/

I figured the most we might ever encounter is handgun or shotgun rounds (hopefully never) but with the popularity of the AR platform having hard armor protection wouldn't hurt and could give piece of mind. Please help me out, thanks guys, have a great day.

Inkslinger
03-19-16, 11:12
I have a set. They're not light. They might be a little much for your GF. I would take a look at these.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

Same lvl of protection at half the weight. They are also comparable in price when you factor in the trauma pads for the Spartans, which I recommend because they will be more comfortable.

85cucvtom
03-19-16, 13:48
I have a set. They're not light. They might be a little much for your GF. I would take a look at these.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

Same lvl of protection at half the weight. They are also comparable in price when you factor in the trauma pads for the Spartans, which I recommend because they will be more comfortable.

Cool thanks for the input. I'll look into that.

herkle
03-24-16, 01:36
I have both the Armaply and the one Inkslinger suggested (well, the Infidel Armor branded version but same manufacturer). The Armaply has less coverage and is 2lbs heavier per plate. Its advantage is that it's thinner, half the cost, has far less back-face deformation, and you can shoulder a rifle as if you weren't wearing plates at all. But extra weight and less coverage, hmm for me it's a 'leave in the car' armor since it's steel not polyethylene. Also it requires a custom carrier from Beez combat to keep from shifting around.

The other one, the SAPI medium cut there is what 9.5x12.5 versus 10x12, so a bit easier to shoulder the rifle and half an inch extra length, and some plate carriers are designed for SAPI cut so that's the best option. Put some Ten Speed pouches on there if needed (obviously not during journalist/photographer duties) and you're good unless you need side coverage. I have a set of 10x12 in a Grey Ghost Minimalist and the whole thing weighs 10-11 lbs.

That said, the Armaply aren't too bad if wearing only them and the carrier and no mags / radios / hydration. Just that with the reduced coverage, I'd be concerned about the kinds of situations you envision yourself being in. For those I'd consider getting some IIIa armor since you get quite a bit more coverage and the whole vest weighs 5lbs or less, or Level II vests which are concealable enough that you could be in a crowd without freaking people out.