PDA

View Full Version : Coloring your NFA Engraving? (Black)

JulyAZ
03-19-16, 10:43
Just curious what some of you use to Blacken your NFA engraving on your lower so the bare aluminum isn't showing.

What stand up to the heat? I've tried a few different thing but by the time I'm done shooting or cleaning the rifle you can see the aluminum again.

Please note I'm not doing some colorfill spikes tactical bs, just don't want my NFA engraving bright and obvious contrasting to the rest of the rifle. Just black to match the anodizing.

Inkslinger
03-19-16, 10:44
I painted right over mine.

dbain99
03-19-16, 10:46
Birchwood Casey
AlumaBlack.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Inkslinger
03-19-16, 10:48
Birchwood Casey
AlumaBlack.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

I was just going to post a link to that.
https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Aluminum-Black-Touch-Up.aspx

Boba Fett v2
03-19-16, 10:57
Try using a black crayon or shoe polish. Wipe the excess.

Springfield
03-19-16, 13:11
Another vote for AlumaBlack here. Just make sure you clean/de-grease the area well before applying.

SteveL
03-19-16, 14:05
Birchwood Casey
AlumaBlack.

This.

Ryno12
03-19-16, 14:17
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/19/d0a4c136c82e43752c1666b43107bd4b.jpg

grantoga
03-19-16, 17:44
I've found that the Alumablack only works with freshly cut aluminum. If the engraving is a few days old or older, it doesn't darken as well.

ace4059
03-19-16, 22:16
I started useing the black pen when it was new but now I use spray paint. Gun cleaner removes the paint but I just respray it. That black pen dried out in about two years.

TXBK
03-19-16, 22:27
Do you get your engraving performed, cheaply? I have only used Ident, and they use a blacken agent after engraving the info.

JulyAZ
03-19-16, 22:46
Do you get your engraving performed, cheaply? I have only used Ident, and they use a blacken agent after engraving the info.

Cheaply? Not sure what you mean by cheaply. I went to a local company that mills their own lowers. Stood next to the gentleman who put it on the CNC, while I watched. Rather than mail my lower off, but if you define cheaply as in not using a blackening agent after the engraving, then I guess?

ace4059
03-19-16, 22:50
I have nothing but good things to say about ident marking services. They did have a long lead time but they have top notch quality. Their color has never washed off from cleaners. My first NFA engraving was don't locally and yes it was cheap. Looks like a trophy engraving. That's the one with the paint.

TXBK
03-19-16, 23:01
Cheaply? Not sure what you mean by cheaply. I went to local companies that mills their own lowers. Stood next to the gentleman who put it on the CNC, while I watched. Rather than mail my lower off, but if you define cheaply as in not using a blackening agent after the engraving, then I guess?

No, I was referring more to a company that isn't related to firearms and was doing the work for less money than a company known for engraving firearms. But, if they are doing the work cheaply, then that could be their reason for not completing the job. In the grand scheme of things, I think they should probably be performing that simple step for you at no extra charge.

MegademiC
03-19-16, 23:40
I've found that the Alumablack only works with freshly cut aluminum. If the engraving is a few days old or older, it doesn't darken as well.

I would guess this is because an inactive oxide layer forms, remove thst and it should stick fine. Acid will do it, I'd start weak, like vinegar and try it. If it doesn't stick, maybe work up to something a little stronger.

That said, when I was young, I colored my lower silver and it's still there, with crayon. So, to the op, rubbing some black crayon in there and melting it in with a blow dryer should work for you.

GarrettJ
03-20-16, 19:45

You could be right there. When I had my lower lasered, they shop I used applied Alumablack right away. It's been dark ever since, and that was probably 8 years ago.

screwedby
03-21-16, 00:46
I haven't colored mine at all. I think it looks fine.

Am i missing something here?

screwedbygoogle
original username modified by google

Big Bronze Rim
03-22-16, 17:09
Same here. Alumablack works perfectly.

Travis B
03-22-16, 21:14
The company who laser engraved mine used Alumablack

STF
04-08-16, 18:31
Alumablack +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jandbj
04-08-16, 20:14
Sharpie or ignore. Both work spectacularly of my uses. ��

Hmac
04-08-16, 20:44
Ident Marking returns it blackened. Mine hasn't worn off in the several years since I had it done.

tab0013
04-09-16, 15:40
I've used touch up paint from autozone with no ill effects.