PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor for AR?

lrdchaos
03-20-16, 07:06
I'm getting ready to purchase a suppressor for my AR. I've found a couple of good deals on a Thunderbeast 223p-1(discontinued model) and a sas sentinel. Both are TI units, that recommend cool down time after 40 rapid rounds, which shouldn't be a problem at all. My couple of questions......do you all recommend a full auto rated suppressor? What seems to be the favorite around here? And finally, silencer shop recommended the SIG srd556-Ti, anyone run this particular can?

Thanks in advance.

223to45
03-20-16, 14:45
If I spent money on a suppressor for a AR I would want it to be full auto rated.

Surefire and Silencer Co seem to be the big favorites. But Griffin offers some nice options.
Someone else will have to chime in on the Sig.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A5scott
03-20-16, 18:05
Personally, I would want only full auto rated, and as light weight as possible without going titanium. That said, those sig titanium cans look very nice, though I have never used one. Is there a chance you will use it on a 308? or a short barrel rifle? I would love the sig direct thread TI can at 9.8 ounces. Are you going to share it among other rifles? maybe a QD is the way to go. I have a Griffin Armament recce 7 and it works very well, and am waiting on a bunch of others.
I would make a list of parameters you want in a can, and prioritize them, that will help you eliminate options.

scott

Auto-X Fil
03-20-16, 19:05
Yeah, prioritize these:

Weight
Size
Cost
Durability
Versatility (FA, .30-cal,
Mount system (or direct thread)
Quietness

lrdchaos
03-22-16, 05:55
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking for durability and price at this point. I'm looking hard at the AAC m4-2000 or the Specwar 556. Trying to keep the price under 700 before the stamp.

domestique
03-22-16, 07:14
Durability: Specwar K, Saker 556, Omega for the wild card (able to use on 308).

Auto-X Fil
03-22-16, 07:17
SpecWar would be at the top of my list. Maybe the K if you want to trade a little noise for size and weight. The ASR mount system is excellent!

ToeTagger6552
03-22-16, 08:17
For $700, I'd take a serious look at the Griffin Recce 7.

SC-Texas
03-26-16, 18:00
Surefire SOCOM556RC
Sig SRD556qd
Aac m4-2000

RedRallyeZ
03-27-16, 09:01
i put my money in the specwar K. its in form 4 jail now, so i don't have hands on logic for you. but i decided on that can for a few reasons....

-ASR mount- solid and works with some other great cans for cross compatibility. life you're going to be locked into a lineup because of mount systems, sico is a good one to choose
-durability:steel cased, and full auto rated
-mass-i could have gone with the full size spectra, but i figured for an already supersonic round, theres not much use trying to push it as quiet as possible. I just wanted to take the edge off the round. This will be going on a 14.5" and a 10.5" gun, so small and lightweight was key.

Jwknutson17
03-27-16, 14:08
If this is for a 5.56 AR only, this is pretty much a no brainer. Surefire SOCOM 5.56 RC or Mini pending your barrel length. No extra mounts, end caps, or parts and pieces to mess with. Tried and true with the best, no issues, mounting system. 3 solid muzzle device choices in the Brake, FH, and Warcomp. It's hard to form an argument against the surefire. If sound suppression is the number one on your list, you need to choose a different caliber. Speaking from experience with Surefire, SiCo, TB, AAC, and KAC suppressors. If your budget gets a little bigger, consider the KAC QDC also... Just my .02

TheChunkNorris
03-27-16, 14:34
I have a SiCo Saker and love it but surprised no one has said Gemtech. I have a Gemtech Halo GMT in jail now and just love the fact I don't need to use any special mounting devices and it's light.

domestique
03-27-16, 14:57
I have a SiCo Saker and love it but surprised no one has said Gemtech. I have a Gemtech Halo GMT in jail now and just love the fact I don't need to use any special mounting devices and it's light.

Verify that all your A2 mounts are good to go. Not all of them are created equally. Double check, but the crush washer may need to be removed as well.

TheChunkNorris
03-27-16, 15:00
Verify that all your A2 mounts are good to go. Not all of them are created equally. Double check, but the crush washer may need to be removed as well.

Yes you're correct on the washer, it'll need to be shimmed. Right now I'm getting some clarification if it'll work with a H&K A2 hider which doesn't need to be timed.

MJN1957
03-27-16, 21:39
I'm looking hard at the AAC m4-2000...

If you are looking at the M42K, don't overlook the 762-SDN-6.

Not much longer, not much heavier, just as quiet to my ear, a little less blow-back on a 5.56, and a good multi-caliber option (6.5, 6.8, .300 BLK, .308, etc...)

MikeN

steppenwolf
03-28-16, 17:57
If you are looking at the M42K, don't overlook the 762-SDN-6.

Depends. On an SBR that's a 100-yd range toy, the M42K is fine and suppression is great. But the can's shake and wobble on the 51-t mount creates shifting accuracy issues past 200yds, unless you machine the mount to fit your particular can.

For a 5.56 or 30-cal can for precision work, I'd look at something in Ron Allen's AE line, which is nearly identical to the now defunct OPS line.

THEOZZ
03-28-16, 18:30
I bought an AEM 5 from Allen Engineering for my SPR Mark 12 Mod 1. The way I understand it was they made the suppressors and mounts for OPS INC. Probably an excellent choice for the price range your looking at. I think I paid 649.00 for mine.

SC-Texas
03-28-16, 18:36
Ron Allen, Allen engineering did make the ops Inc line for ops inc

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OIPactual
03-28-16, 19:18
Silencerco Hybrid. One can, all platforms and calibers up to .46 Cal. Per Silencerco, it's basically a 46cal Omega. I have one ( I'm a dealer) and it's very quiet. In about 30 seconds I can go from any of my rifles to my handguns. It's a lot of capability in a package very similar in size and suppression to the Omega.

MJN1957
03-28-16, 19:41
Depends. On an SBR that's a 100-yd range toy, the M42K is fine and suppression is great. But the can's shake and wobble on the 51-t mount creates shifting accuracy issues past 200yds, unless you machine the mount to fit your particular can.

That has not been my experience at all. The only thing I've seen is a slight but repeatable zero change over thousands of rounds on a few of 10-12 different rifles from SBR to 26", using 5.56 (M42K & SDN-6), .300 Blk, and .308 (both .30 cal with the SDN-6).

This has also been discussed in this recent thread: Objectively discussing AAC 51T cans and accuracy issues (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180708-Objectively-discussing-AAC-51T-cans-and-accuracy-issues). Poster 'Mongo' offered some pretty interesting input there.

This idea, that somehow the 51T AAC mount universally and materially affects accuracy seems to be about as plausible as 'over stabilized' bullets being universally inaccurate.

MikeN.

VIP3R 237
03-28-16, 19:59
For $700, I'd take a serious look at the Griffin Recce 7.

That's an excellent can at any price.

yellowfin
03-30-16, 13:41
Specwar has been very nice for me so far, 2 years and counting.