PDA

View Full Version : Order form ready, but which DD?

Clay34
03-20-16, 10:44
I'm sitting here at the computer with an order form for a new Daniel Defense rifle. I want one sooner than latter, but am having a terrible time making a real decision. For the longest time, I thought that I wanted a V11 Pro. It's still on the short list, but in reality, I don't shoot three gun. There just aren't very many places to shoot within an hour of me. I still want to try some three gun stuff, but the truth is this purchase isn't really a dedicated 3 gun rifle. Not sure that I will like the SD3G trigger and while the gun will shoot flat, I won't like (or rather the people next to me on the line at classes won't like) the brake on this thing. I'm also not sure that the Key Mod forend is what I want.

Then I have been looking at the MK12. The thing will shoot and it's actually a little lighter than the V11 Pro. While I was questioning the rail on the Pro, I would much prefer the slim Key Mod over this quad rail.

The new V7 with M-Lok looks great to me, but I will want to change out the trigger for a SSA right away.

Then the whole standard weight, LW or SLW gets thrown into the mix.

I have made a couple of decisions.
1.) I am buying a DD rifle.
2.) I want at least a full 16" barrel because I want to be able to change the flash hider / brake if I so choose and do it easier than having one pinned.

For background info, I only have a single carbine at this point. Nothing to brag about, it was what was available readily the last time that I bought at a price that fit my budget at that time. I own a Sig M400 enhanced. I have paid for two more carbine classes this year already in addition to my own training regime.

I'm all over the place. Need a shove in the right direction. Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

SteveL
03-20-16, 11:50
To me it sounds like you're looking for something that's more of a general purpose gun that you can also use to shoot in 3 gun competitions. If that's the case then I would just stick with a gun with a 16" barrel, and maybe even a lightweight barrel. That rules out the Mk12 and V11 Pro. Personally, I would be looking the hardest at the V11 and V7, standard and lightweight variants. If you plan to run a RDS and want it light, go with a lightweight model. If you plan to run a magnified optic and want smaller groups, go with a standard model.

Another thing to consider is that DD's keymod rail only has keymod on three sides whereas their site states their M-Lok rail has M-Lok on six sides. It also looks like the V7 rail may be a little more comfortable to hold onto.

What type of optic do you plan to run?

jackblack73
03-20-16, 13:29
Personally I'd go with the V7 because I like MLok and that looks like a nice rail. I'd also go with the LW because the website says the standard is government profile. There's just little reason to ever use government profile.

Scrubber3
03-20-16, 14:17
V7 Mlok standard barrel. 16 inches. Or get one with a rail that matches the rifle you already own if logistics matter.

Clay34
03-20-16, 16:15
To me it sounds like you're looking for something that's more of a general purpose gun that you can also use to shoot in 3 gun competitions. If that's the case then I would just stick with a gun with a 16" barrel, and maybe even a lightweight barrel. That rules out the Mk12 and V11 Pro. Personally, I would be looking the hardest at the V11 and V7, standard and lightweight variants. If you plan to run a RDS and want it light, go with a lightweight model. If you plan to run a magnified optic and want smaller groups, go with a standard model.

Another thing to consider is that DD's keymod rail only has keymod on three sides whereas their site states their M-Lok rail has M-Lok on six sides. It also looks like the V7 rail may be a little more comfortable to hold onto.

What type of optic do you plan to run?

The last carbine class that I took, I used a RDS for targets out to 300 and I was very happy with the results. One of the classes that I have paid for already this year is a carbine class called Intermediate Scoped Rifle and we will engage targets to 600 yards. While I think that it can still be done with a RDS, a LPV will do better in the class.

While not being a 3 gun competitor, I just renewed my membership today at one of my local gun clubs. I found out that they will be running some multi-gun type matches this year. I look forward to competing close to home. So while not a true 3 gun competitor, I have been eyeing popular 3 gun style LPVs including the Leupold VX6 Multigun FireDot 1-6, Burris XTR 1-8 (true one power to be released soon), Trijicon Accupoint, Bushnell 1-6.5 and others. The Swarovski and Vortex HD are too rich for my blood. Everyone has to make a cut off somewhere and I am looking at street prices around a grand. The Leupold leads today, but with more research that might change. I came to buying a Burris XTR II 1-6 for a great price, but I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger on an optic yet.

My biggest concern right now is the rifle. I have to find out more about the V7 vs the V11. I know that everyone likes the 16" barrels, but is 2" more really that big of a deal? I would think that the rifle length gas system would be very smooth indeed. I really don't think that velocities are that much greater by any means. I wish that I could shoot a rilfe length system and a middy next to each other. I also see that the difference in weight between the SLW and the LW is mere ounces and the SLW rifles have pinned brakes, so for me the SLW are out.

I would like to place an order tomorrow, just not sure that I can come to some consensus by tomorrow. Need more research because once you buy it - it's yours.

crosseyedshooter
03-20-16, 16:35
The modularity of the AR15 design means you can get different uppers set up for different purposes. DD sells their uppers and you can easily start with a 16" V7 or V11 (LW or standard) and RDS for most classes and uses. Then add a magnified optic with QR mount and decide later if a rifle-length upper will be beneficial to you with the increased velocity and weight.

gunrunner505
03-20-16, 16:58
I have a V7 with the old modular float rail and a V11. Both are standard barrel profile and both are excellent as far as I'm concerned. The float rail is ok but will probably get swapped out.

Bottom line both are great rifles that will serve you well. No right or wrong answer to that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernst
03-20-16, 18:08
Also wanted to mention to be sure to check GUNWATCHER for prices on the DD you want. May find a great deal.

Tigereye
03-20-16, 19:38
I have a V7 with the old modular float rail and a V11. Both are standard barrel profile and both are excellent as far as I'm concerned. The float rail is ok but will probably get swapped out.

Bottom line both are great rifles that will serve you well. No right or wrong answer to that question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would choose V7 or V11 based on the preferred rail. I have a V1, V5, and V7. The V7 had the MFR and I replaced it with a Centurion CMR. The good news is that you will be pleased with either choice.

di11igaf
03-21-16, 01:19
The last carbine class that I took, I used a RDS for targets out to 300 and I was very happy with the results. One of the classes that I have paid for already this year is a carbine class called Intermediate Scoped Rifle and we will engage targets to 600 yards. While I think that it can still be done with a RDS, a LPV will do better in the class.

While not being a 3 gun competitor, I just renewed my membership today at one of my local gun clubs. I found out that they will be running some multi-gun type matches this year. I look forward to competing close to home. So while not a true 3 gun competitor, I have been eyeing popular 3 gun style LPVs including the Leupold VX6 Multigun FireDot 1-6, Burris XTR 1-8 (true one power to be released soon), Trijicon Accupoint, Bushnell 1-6.5 and others. The Swarovski and Vortex HD are too rich for my blood. Everyone has to make a cut off somewhere and I am looking at street prices around a grand. The Leupold leads today, but with more research that might change. I came to buying a Burris XTR II 1-6 for a great price, but I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger on an optic yet.

My biggest concern right now is the rifle. I have to find out more about the V7 vs the V11. I know that everyone likes the 16" barrels, but is 2" more really that big of a deal? I would think that the rifle length gas system would be very smooth indeed. I really don't think that velocities are that much greater by any means. I wish that I could shoot a rilfe length system and a middy next to each other. I also see that the difference in weight between the SLW and the LW is mere ounces and the SLW rifles have pinned brakes, so for me the SLW are out.

I would like to place an order tomorrow, just not sure that I can come to some consensus by tomorrow. Need more research because once you buy it - it's yours.

You can find the razor HD 1-6 usually for around 1200, sometimes cheaper. I got mine as a NIB return, paid right around 1000$. It's an excellent scope for the money, amazing glass. That said, for the money, the accupoint is also really good. Not so much at 500+ yards due to limited reticles, but inside of that it's fast.

Clay34
03-21-16, 07:16
V7 Mlok standard barrel. 16 inches. Or get one with a rail that matches the rifle you already own if logistics matter.

Not that I am married to it, but the current carbine has Magpul furniture with M-Lok connections. Not a bad idea to stay consistent.

Clay34
03-21-16, 07:31
Been pouring over the differences between the V7 and V11.

One thing that I noticed is that on the V7, in regard to the barrel, it says: "BARREL: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ Government Profile, Mid-length Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated."

The description for the V11 barrel does not mention MP tested. Is that just a simple omission or are the V7 barrels tested and the V11 barrels are not?

Clay34
03-21-16, 07:34
I would choose V7 or V11 based on the preferred rail. I have a V1, V5, and V7. The V7 had the MFR and I replaced it with a Centurion CMR. The good news is that you will be pleased with either choice.

Isn't the MFR the new rail that will be released in May? If you owned the m-Lok rail and traded it out, what didn't you like about it?

Sorry, everyone for the multiple posts this morning. Had to get some questions out before work.

Thanks for the help.

SteveL
03-21-16, 07:43
Been pouring over the differences between the V7 and V11.

One thing that I noticed is that on the V7, in regard to the barrel, it says: "BARREL: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 twist, 16″ Government Profile, Mid-length Gas System, Chrome Lined, MP tested, and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated."

The description for the V11 barrel does not mention MP tested. Is that just a simple omission or are the V7 barrels tested and the V11 barrels are not?

My guess would be omission, but give them a call and ask. They also do online chat.

odugrad
03-21-16, 08:33
DD MP tests all their barrels.

Have you looked at the V5? If you're not 100% sure on the V7 or V11 you might take a look. The V5 comes with a lw barrel.

Clay34
03-21-16, 11:14
DD MP tests all their barrels.

Have you looked at the V5? If you're not 100% sure on the V7 or V11 you might take a look. The V5 comes with a lw barrel.
Trying to figure out the differences between these models and it seems like many of the changes are just the type of rail. I'm interested in a smaller diameter, thinner rail. Their slim rail w key mod looks good but the M-Lok is probably at the top. Don't think the V5 comes in either keymod or M-Lok. I could be wrong, I'll check it out. Thanks

Uprange41
03-21-16, 11:39
Trying to figure out the differences between these models and it seems like many of the changes are just the type of rail. I'm interested in a smaller diameter, thinner rail. Their slim rail w key mod looks good but the M-Lok is probably at the top. Don't think the V5 comes in either keymod or M-Lok. I could be wrong, I'll check it out. Thanks

The only differences are the rails.

The V5, new V7, V9, and V11 are all the same, they all come with either standard or lightweight barrels, the only difference is;
V5 - 12" DDM4 rail (quad)
V7 - 15" MFR 15.0 rail (M-LOK)
V9 - 15" DDM4 rail (quad)
V11 - 15" SLIM rail (KeyMod)

The MFR 15.0 looks slimmer all the way around than the SLIM, but that's just a guess... Either one will be slimmer than their quad rails. BCM's KMR, the Noveske NSR, KAC URX4, MI Gen 3 M-LOK/KeyMod rails, Century CMR (and future M-LOK/KeyMod versions), etc are all slimmer than the DD SLIM. The new MFR 15.0 is probably right in the same ballpark, but like I said, that's a guess... it's still not in the wild. If you want the slimmer M-LOK rail, the V7 is the one.

awdxtc
03-21-16, 12:00
I own a V5 and a bcm upper with the kmr hand guard. I think if you want keymod the bcm is the best one out there. That being said my next rifle will be the new V7 because I do not own mlok yet. You can not go wrong with either DD or BCM. You just have to decide on what rail system you want. I just looked at a dd V11 lw the other day and their keymod rail is nice but I really do like the KMR better. My V5 is a gov. profile but the V7 will have a LW barrel, my bcm has their lightweight barrel and after seeing how well it handles I wont own anything but lightweight barrels.

Clay34
03-21-16, 13:31
The only differences are the rails.

The V5, new V7, V9, and V11 are all the same, they all come with either standard or lightweight barrels, the only difference is;
V5 - 12" DDM4 rail (quad)

V7 - 15" MFR 15.0 rail (M-LOK)
V9 - 15" DDM4 rail (quad)
V11 - 15" SLIM rail (KeyMod)

The MFR 15.0 looks slimmer all the way around than the SLIM, but that's just a guess... Either one will be slimmer than their quad rails. BCM's KMR, the Noveske NSR, KAC URX4, MI Gen 3 M-LOK/KeyMod rails, Century CMR (and future M-LOK/KeyMod versions), etc are all slimmer than the DD SLIM. The new MFR 15.0 is probably right in the same ballpark, but like I said, that's a guess... it's still not in the wild. If you want the slimmer M-LOK rail, the V7 is the one.

When looking at the V7 with M-Lok, it says the M-Lok connections are on 6 sides. Anyone know exactly what the 6 sides are? Looks like 7, 9, 11, 1, 3, 5 would equal 6 sides, but I would think you would want something at 6 o'clock too, but that's more than 6 sides now. I can't tell from the pictures.

Uprange41
03-21-16, 13:57
When looking at the V7 with M-Lok, it says the M-Lok connections are on 6 sides. Anyone know exactly what the 6 sides are? Looks like 7, 9, 11, 1, 3, 5 would equal 6 sides, but I would think you would want something at 6 o'clock too, but that's more than 6 sides now. I can't tell from the pictures.

Gotta be a typo. There are obviously M-LOK slots at the 90° and 45° positions, just looking at the photos on the site, and from the SHOT videos I've seen, there are also M-LOK slots at 6:00.

awdxtc
03-21-16, 14:01
should be 7 spots including 6 o'clock, just like the kmr only in m lok.

Clay34
03-21-16, 15:39
Gotta be a typo. There are obviously M-LOK slots at the 90° and 45° positions, just looking at the photos on the site, and from the SHOT videos I've seen, there are also M-LOK slots at 6:00.
Maybe they are at 9, 11, 1, 3, 6 which would be 5 M-Lok positions and the 6th is the 1913 rail at 12???

MOhunter92
03-25-16, 09:26
How do you have an order form for DD? Their website says they aren't taking any orders and the V7 isn't even available until May?

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

Clay34
03-25-16, 12:55
How do you have an order form for DD? Their website says they aren't taking any orders and the V7 isn't even available until May?

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

The point is considering a rilfe and which rifle to choose.

On that note, I just came from a local gun store and it was the first time that I held a DD with the newer furniture. As a Glock shooter I hold the handgun with a high tang grip. While the grip itself is slim enough, I have come to the conclusion that the grip was designed for people with sausage fingers. When I grab that pistol grip with a high style grip, my middle finger hits that finger grove point right in the middle of my finger. I will have to Dremel that off or just change out the grip completely. That was a big disappointment for me. The only DD they had was a DDM4 V5 and the normal quad rail wasn't as large as I thought it was going to be. Still would prefer the KeyMod or M-Lok but it was nice to put one in my hand before placing an order.

MOhunter92
03-25-16, 12:58
On that note, I just came from a local gun store and it was the first time that I held a DD with the newer furniture. As a Glock shooter I hold the handgun with a high tang grip. While the grip itself is slim enough, I have come to the conclusion that the grip was designed for people with sausage fingers. When I grab that pistol grip with a high style grip, my middle finger hits that finger grove point right in the middle of my finger. I will have to Dremel that off or just change out the grip completely. That was a big disappointment for me. The only DD they had was a DDM4 V5 and the normal quad rail wasn't as large as I thought it was going to be. Still would prefer the KeyMod or M-Lok but it was nice to put one in my hand before placing an order.[/QUOTE]

I gotcha. I'm a Glock shooter myself but was brought up shooting 1911s, so the grip works for me. I don't have super large hands, wear a large glove but my fingers I would say are on the narrow side. I've held a V11 and the keymod rail was very slim, it surprised me quite a bit but I loved it. I prefer m lok over keymod so I'm waiting on that one

gunrunner505
03-25-16, 16:47
The point is considering a rilfe and which rifle to choose.

On that note, I just came from a local gun store and it was the first time that I held a DD with the newer furniture. As a Glock shooter I hold the handgun with a high tang grip. While the grip itself is slim enough, I have come to the conclusion that the grip was designed for people with sausage fingers. When I grab that pistol grip with a high style grip, my middle finger hits that finger grove point right in the middle of my finger. I will have to Dremel that off or just change out the grip completely. That was a big disappointment for me. The only DD they had was a DDM4 V5 and the normal quad rail wasn't as large as I thought it was going to be. Still would prefer the KeyMod or M-Lok but it was nice to put one in my hand before placing an order.

I don't really care for the new DD furniture. The grip on my V11 is gone in favor of a BCM. I prefer the grips with the tail that goes up the lower receiver. Also keep in mind the trigger guard is integrated into the grip on the DD stuff so if you swap it out you'll need a guard.

I'm living with the stock for now.