PDA

View Full Version : Always wanted a 20" barrel

XD40Colorado
03-20-16, 20:15
Yet I never bought one, due to the excessive weight they added.
However, now I see that Faxon Firearms is offering a "Gunner" profile 20" barrel, that's only 3 ounces heavier than my BCM ELW 16".

My question to you all is, has anyone heard of Faxon? Do they make a decent barrel?
Please let me know your experiences or what you've heard/seen.

Thanks Gents!

Renegade04
03-20-16, 20:19
However, now I see that Faxon Firearms is offering a "Gunner" profile 20" barrel, that's only 3 ounces heavier than my BCM ELW 16".

My question to you all is, has anyone heard of Faxon? Do they make a decent barrel?

Thanks Gents!

What twist rate are you looking for? There are pencil barrels available in 1/9 and 1/12 and Gov't profile barrels in 1/7 and 1/9.

XD40Colorado
03-20-16, 20:22
1/7 or 1/8

_Stormin_
03-20-16, 20:35
A 20 inch barrel is five ounces heavier than a 16 inch barrel. Less than a third of a pound... The "Gunner" barrel is saving two ounces. A stack of twenty pennies.

Not to tell you how to build your firearms, but have you used a 20" rifle before? My 14.5" and my 20" rifles really do not feel that much different. The length in swinging the longer guns point to point is more noticeable than the weight.

C-grunt
03-20-16, 23:49
Just sighted in my A4 build this week. I forgot how much smoother and less recoil they have. I'm a fan of the 20 inch.

556BlackRifle
03-20-16, 23:51

Thanks Gents!

Faxon makes great barrels for the money and in fact, Nathan from Faxon is a member. He has a thread running over on the AR Technical Discussions forum. You can ask Faxon anything (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?165508-Ask-Us-Anything-Faxon-Firearms).

FaxonNathan
03-22-16, 08:23

Thanks Gents!

Please let us know if we can help. As mentioned in the thread, you can ask us anything!

A 20 inch barrel is five ounces heavier than a 16 inch barrel. Less than a third of a pound... The "Gunner" barrel is saving two ounces. A stack of twenty pennies.

Not to tell you how to build your firearms, but have you used a 20" rifle before? My 14.5" and my 20" rifles really do not feel that much different. The length in swinging the longer guns point to point is more noticeable than the weight.

They key is HOW the weight is distributed. The 3 ounces of the Gov't profile places a weight right at the end of the barrel. While only a few ounces heavier in terms of total mass, it FEELS significantly more due to the weight being so far to the front of the rifle.

XD40Colorado
03-22-16, 09:15
Agree with that.
I actually read an article about gov't profile barrels. USMC armorers in 'Nam were noticing "bent" barrels, as their bore gauges weren't passing straight through the barrel, getting stuck under/near the FSB. The conventional wisdom at the time suggested that the barrels were "bending" from heavy use/bayoneting/etc. So the A2 gov't profile was invented and accepted by the military. Some armorers decided to see what the actual problem was and sectioned a "bent" barrel...what they found was a mess of lead and carbon under the gas port, which was causing the bore gauge to get stuck. So the barrels weren't actually bending, but the gov't profile was accepted by the gov't. Dumb.

Anyway, I'm excited to try the gunner profile 20". Will probably pair it with a TR24.

BrigandTwoFour
03-22-16, 15:08
Anyway, I'm excited to try the gunner profile 20". Will probably pair it with a TR24.

Sounds like a great combo! I've been running a BCM 20" govt with a TR24, it makes a fantastic general purpose rifle.

XD40Colorado
03-22-16, 15:20
oooohhhh. BCM. Nice.

Currently I have a DD upper and lower, Geiselle SSA-E, BCM KMR 13" rail, and a BFH ELW 16" barrel; I just think the platform was designed around a 20" barrel, so that's what my rifle should have.

majohnson
03-27-16, 21:42
My LMT has a 20" barrel and I think it balances out a large frame AR rather well. What about the stiffness of the barrel. I would rather have a little heavier barrel knowing that it is going to be more accurate. There is a good piece on Lilja website that is pretty detail about what happens to a barrel at the moment the primer ignites the powder. Their barrels are popular with the benchrest guys because of their accuracy. I shoot HV#17 profile barrels from Bartlein, Chanlynn, and Kreiger they are accurate.

Brahmzy
03-28-16, 09:40
Faxon and the Gunners are awesome. Go for it!