PDA

View Full Version : 59,000 kids per year sent to the ER

WillBrink
03-21-16, 08:57
Compare this to the number of kids sent to ER or killed by accidental gun related deaths, and one can only conclude all drugs need to be banned. "If it saves just one life" and all that...Sadly, people leave their meds and other easy to ingest stuff within easy reach of small children all the time, but do doctors ask people if they keep their meds, vitamins, etc locked up? Would seem far more children might not end up in the ER getting their stomach pumped or worse if they did. By the most anti gun stat I could find:

"By the end of 2015, about 265 children under 18 picked up a firearm and shot someone by accident, and 83 of those shootings were fatal, according to research compiled by the gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety. Some 41 of those deaths involved the shooters themselves, and most of the shootings involved toddlers or teens who were playing recklessly with the guns."

83! That's even lower than I expected and that's the worst estimate I could find via Everytown for Gun Safety web site. Is one avoidable death one too many? Absolutely, but the responsibility falls with those who leave guns, meds, etc within easy reach of small children...

59,000 kids end up in ER each year for this one reason

Parents and grandparents should think twice about where they stash medications. A new report shows how dangerous it is when children get ahold of them.

The Safe Kids Worldwide report reveals 59,000 children in the U.S. each year end up in the emergency room after accidental poisonings that involve taking medicine.

"The danger is if it is within reach and within their access and it's in something they can open. Trust me, child resistant is not childproof," Kate Carr, president and CEO of Safe Kids Worldwide, told CBS News.

Kids under age 3 make up the majority of ER visits for medicine poisoning after ingesting drugs such as pain relievers, vitamins, even diaper cream.

In 48 percent of cases, kids got into their grandparents' medicines.

Top tips for storing medicines:

-Keep medicine in a cabinet high up and away from children.

-Use the dosing device that comes with medications. Pouring medicine into a kitchen spoon can lead to accidental overdoses.

-Keep the Poison Helpline in your cellphone for emergencies: 1-800-222-1222

With Americans now filling four billion prescriptions a year, parents need to be more vigilant than ever, experts say.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/accidental-medicine-poisonings-send-59000-kids-to-er/

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-21-16, 09:16
My fifth grader just got the OTC/prescription drug talk at school. It must have been a good one, because he was a PIA when he was sick a week ago and we had to give him the 'Tussin and some other stuff.

Makes you wonder why medicine cabinets aren't required to come with a lock box in them.

WillBrink
03-21-16, 09:28
My fifth grader just got the OTC/prescription drug talk at school. It must have been a good one, because he was a PIA when he was sick a week ago and we had to give him the 'Tussin and some other stuff.

Makes you wonder why medicine cabinets aren't required to come with a lock box in them.

If they legally required people to lock up their meds, they'd freak out as an impingement on their freedom of choice to raise their kids as they see fit, yada yada yada. It's a perfect comparison however unlike say bikes, pools, etc.

Bulletdog
03-21-16, 09:59
These are good stats for discussion points with people who've been lied to by the media and the politicians, and have no way of knowing any better.

Thanks for posting Will.

Firefly
03-21-16, 11:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQDyZiPADXU

My feelings on the modern ER scene in general

_Stormin_
03-21-16, 15:07
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... "I'm genuinely near death, may I go in front of you?" "No! My elbow feels funny..."

_Stormin_
03-21-16, 18:22
As an aside, my wife had to take someone to the ER and actually heard a very large lady shout at the nurse checking people in, "I DON'T NEED AN INSURANCE CARD. I GOT OBAMACARE!"

I have no doubt that she was probably there for a cold or a stubbed toe...

.46caliber
03-21-16, 18:40
I have no doubt that she was probably there for a cold or a stubbed toe...
I don't understand this phenomena.

If I had good insurance, that was 100% free to me, including 0 co-pay or deductible, I still wouldn't go to the Dr. any more than I do now.

I like Dr.s and nurses, but I don't want to see them any more than necessary. I Just don't get it.

_Stormin_
03-21-16, 18:44
E-N-T-I-T-L-E-M-E-N-T

You don't worry about making yourself feel better. You've got coverage. That's a doctors job.

.46caliber
03-21-16, 18:58
E-N-T-I-T-L-E-M-E-N-T

You don't worry about making yourself feel better. You've got coverage. That's a doctors job.

Still not clicking. Maybe I'm too dumb.

I just can't fathom spending time in an ER for a stubbed toe. I get that's what a good chunk of people do, but I'd rather shake it off then hang out with sickies for 3 hours in an ER waiting room to be handed a couple free Advil.

Is ER Advil that awesome?

_Stormin_
03-21-16, 19:13
Why buy Advil? That shit's like $12 for a big bottle. Go to the ER... Its all FREE!!!! It's the all you can feel better buffet!

They're not busy at work or something. They have the three hours free...

SteveS
03-21-16, 19:43
Lets not forget the new word order people really don't care about saving the little peoples lives they care about disarming the public.

.46caliber
03-21-16, 20:32
Why buy Advil? That shit's like $12 for a big bottle. Go to the ER... Its all FREE!!!! It's the all you can feel better buffet!

They're not busy at work or something. They have the three hours free...

Even if I had no job, and wanted free Advil, it's not worth 3 hours. That's an epic nap.

I guess I'll never get it.

_Stormin_
03-21-16, 20:58
And that sir, makes you a wonderful member of society...

chuckman
03-22-16, 08:52
Is ER Advil that awesome?

Yes...yes it is. At $25 a pop.

And generally it's not the prescription meds that get kids, it's the OTC stuff.