PDA

View Full Version : BCM Enhanced Lightweight Hammer Forged

user
03-21-16, 14:32
I see the enhanced lightweight tapered profile is now in service. Was this new at SHOT or am I slow? Looks like 2 OZ heavier than fluted enhanced non bfh.

Anyone have this barrel? If so, how do you like it.

Thank you.

awdxtc
03-21-16, 15:23
It has been out for a while, I own the standard lightweight barrel, the enhanced was not available at the time of my purchase so I have no actual experience with it but I hear great things. My next vcmm upper will have this barrel. There was, at one time talk about a BFH lightweight fluted barrel but I believe those plans have been dismissed.

wildcard600
03-21-16, 15:36
I really like my ELW standard barrel. I've never noticed a difference between my bcm CHF barrels and my standard ones, other than the lighter wallet.

Should be an excellent barrel as bcm is not known for putting out substandard product.

Zirk208
03-21-16, 15:51
Looking to buy one of these myself (like everyone else). Can someone point me to a factual based break down of the benefits of CHF vs Standard rifling om accuracy alone? Everything I find just breaks down into name calling and "It's better because the top guy said so."

I'm looking at the accuracy side of things, as the rifle I'm building may not ever see 10/k rounds, at least not for years to come. For accuracy, what are the pros and cons, BCM vs BCM, which barrel wins?

awdxtc
03-21-16, 17:27
If you are building a DMR I would go stainless or nitride both vhf chrome lined.

titsonritz
03-21-16, 19:00
If you are building a DMR I would go stainless or nitride both vhf chrome lined.

Probably wouldn't be using a ELW barrel in the that case.

MWAG19919
03-21-16, 19:23
I have an ELW BFH 16" upper and I'm very happy with it. This past weekend I was able to get the following 5 shot group with 64 gr GDLE at 50 yards (open sights). This is my first AR15 and I've only been shooting it for a few months, so it's capable of much better I imagine.

buckshot1220
03-21-16, 19:30
I'm liking my ELW 16" very much. If you are not going to use a standard FSB I don't see any reason to buy the LW over the ELW.

As for HF v. standard I have owned, and still own, several of each from both BCM and DD. I have not seen any appreciable difference in accuracy and therefore I no longer spring for the HF. It is really up to you. If were building a gun for accuracy it would be SS and a med-heavy contour.