PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Flex Testing III - Full Disclosure

K.L. Davis
10-08-06, 00:47
I just came back from watching a really bad movie on SciFi, and read through the whole Flex Test thread again... It really bums me out that part two of this went where it did, but it gives me reason to stop and think about the testing, as well as clear up something that was said.

The original purpose of the test was simply to see if the upper receiver did flex under loads on the handguard -- prior to this, it was purely speculation one way or the other. With the conclusion of the test (which was all one test, only split into two parts here cause I am limited in how many pictures I can put in a post) that question was answered and I guess the reason for the testing was over.

The next part was going to be a look at the reinforced and "heavy" uppers that are available, but there is no reason, it is safe to assume that they are more rigid -- anything else would end up a comparison of brand X vs. brand Y and that is not what the original intent was about at all.

Therefore, as far as a "billet receiver comparo" goes, I am done...

Now, to put this matter to bed. There was an assertation that I may be in cahoots with Vltor; I consider the guys at Vltor great friends, and I have friends at other companies -- but I have never received a single compensatory dollar from any of them, ever. I have a few tshirts that were given to me here and there, but that is about it.

In 2004, I was invited to the SHOT Show by a friend who is a gun writer, he was trying to get me interested in writing. I road down with him and stayed with him in his hotel room, which was payed for by Vltor, in turn we helped out manning the booth so that the sole Vltor employee there could get out and see the show -- that is all there was too it, I have not been to a SHOT Show since.

Now, I am about to request that my retirement from Uncle Sam's service be approved... I have a few open offers and may well end up working "in the industry" -- Not having a crystal ball, it is hard to say: if, when or where. Therefore, I believe it best to take a step back until I know. I will try to answer questions and make posts that are as generic as can be, addressing theory and fundimentals, but will not engage any dialogue that has anything to do with any manufacutures items or pratices -- this should eliminate any future supposition, accusations or conjecture.

Thanks for your understanding... fair winds and following seas.

Boom
10-08-06, 01:07
Thx for letting us know the back ground. Hopefully this will be a start on clearing the air between you and Mark.

Good luck with your future job choice. I don't think you'll have any problems finding one. :)

POF-USA
10-12-06, 00:59
It Is Sad To See That The Flex Testing Of The flat top Upper Receiver
That K.L. Davis was doing, Has Been locked.

His Testing Was Of Value, And could Help Improve Product Designs. The original Weapon Design Had A Carry Handle Upper With Bridge Support Of The Upper Receiver, And The Flat Top Upper Receiver Eliminated This Critical Bridge Support Of The Upper Receiver.

The Original Design Also Had Plastic Guards And Not A Rail System Attached To The Upper Receiver, Nor did it have a Vertical Grip That Could Introduce Leverage When Pulled Back By The Operator.

His Testing Was Discussed In The Technical Discussion Forum.
If We Are Unable To Discuss This Here, Then I Would Ask Where Would The Moderators Suggest We Discuss This And Other Issues Like This On This Forum? Please Advise.
Best Regards,

Frank
Patriot Ordnance Factory

SinnFéinM1911
10-12-06, 07:52
K,

Dude you dont owe anyone a explaination here!! You words and integrity stand on their own merits bro !

We need to catch up, give me a shout on my office phoen when you get time today !

B

STAFF
10-12-06, 09:35
It Is Sad To See That The Flex Testing Of The flat top Upper Receiver
That K.L. Davis was doing, Has Been locked.

His Testing Was Of Value, And could Help Improve Product Designs. The original Weapon Design Had A Carry Handle Upper With Bridge Support Of The Upper Receiver, And The Flat Top Upper Receiver Eliminated This Critical Bridge Support Of The Upper Receiver.

The Original Design Also Had Plastic Guards And Not A Rail System Attached To The Upper Receiver, Nor did it have a Vertical Grip That Could Introduce Leverage When Pulled Back By The Operator.

His Testing Was Discussed In The Technical Discussion Forum.
If We Are Unable To Discuss This Here, Then I Would Ask Where Would The Moderators Suggest We Discuss This And Other Issues Like This On This Forum? Please Advise.
Best Regards,

Frank
Patriot Ordnance Factory

Frank,

K.L. requested that the thread be locked. The mods and staff of M4C are 100% in favor of testing and sharing information that would improve weapons and gear.

POF-USA
10-12-06, 23:38
Frank,

K.L. requested that the thread be locked. The mods and staff of M4C are 100% in favor of testing and sharing information that would improve weapons and gear.

Staff, you are correct.

I will email K.L. Davies and ask him to continue his testing and share his results. Hopefully we can keep the discussion focused on testing what may cause receiver flex, and determine if it is a issue or not. If found to be a issue try to determine, how can it be resolved.
Best regards,

Frank
Patriot Ordnance Factory

Stickman
10-17-06, 22:59
K,

Dude you dont owe anyone a explaination here!! You words and integrity stand on their own merits bro !

B

Indeed.

Voodoochild
10-18-06, 09:54
Ok so what am I missing here? did this turn into one of those K.L. has a low post count so what he is saying is total BS things. Or is it something else K.L I dont know much about you but from what alot of the higher ups here have said is that you are a profesional and are GTG.

Stickman
10-18-06, 17:58
Ok so what am I missing here? did this turn into one of those K.L. has a low post count so what he is saying is total BS things. Or is it something else

No, if anything, he is too credible.

Voodoochild
10-18-06, 20:01
No, if anything, he is too credible.

Wow never thought I would hear that..:confused: :confused:

KevinB
10-18-06, 20:28
Some conflicting ego's and alliances

Two Good men can dislike each other...