PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on carbine rails

Evan_O
08-21-08, 01:01
I’ve been running a KAC RAS on a 14.5” Colt upper for patrol use. I use a Vickers sling, mounted to the rail, with a Daniel Defense rail attach sling mount. A Knights vert grip and a SureFire 951 weapon light.

My question is what if any benefit would I get by upgrading to a free float rail? I don’t have the option to strip the upper and add something like a LaRue rail. If I were to upgrade I would probably go with a Daniel Defense Omega.

My thinking is that this carbine is used for minute of man, not a sniper type set up. I run an Aimpoint ML2 on it and rarely in vision having to use it past 50 to 75 yards. That is probably a long shot (no pun intended). I recently was firing a weapon with a SureFire rail and was shocked when the lower half of the rail came completely off. It has two set screw that hold everything together and one became so loose that it worked its way out completely. Blue loc-tite had been applied to these screws on initial set up. It appears that the DD Omega is held together by several screws, which concerns me.

So what do you guys with a lot more experience and hands on use think. Is it worth the upgrade to go to the Omega or will I really see little to no difference for my type of application? I’d love to go with a LaRue free float rail but it is just not an option at this time.

Thanks for your thought and opinions.

Eye Spy
08-21-08, 08:51
Just my .02 cents ...

From what you have described, it would seem that a FF rail will not do anything more than what your KAC is doing right now. If anything, and depending on what brand you buy, the rail you choose will lighten your service rifle a bit. You are on the right track with that when choosing a DD.

Paladin4415
08-21-08, 10:09
Sounds like your set up with the KAC RAS is just fine. I wouldn't change a thing.

Stickman
08-21-08, 21:07
Evan_O,

I run a DD Lite rail on my duty weapon, and I am more than happy with it. The biggest complaint I've seen on a non-FF rail for duty use has been officers not liking that the lower rail can wobble a bit on some.

The DD Omega rail is good to go, but I don't think its something that would really show you a tangible benefit.

Boltgun
08-21-08, 21:29
I am in agreement with all of the above. Unless you are one of the following:

-LEO sniper
-shooting a sustained firing schedule with the need of minimal POI when the tube heats up.

Othewise, you will be well served with the KAC.....afterall servicemen on both sides of our boarders are using them very successfully.

I have fondled an Omega mounted rail and they are SOLID! DD did a great job on the engineering of that rail.

Boltgun

Eric
08-22-08, 00:55
The accuracy difference, if any, would be minuscule, and most likely only observable from the bench. You might notice a small weight reduction, if that matters.

Evan_O
08-22-08, 11:08
Thanks for all the replies gentleman.