PDA

View Full Version : Knight's armament anodizing?

phaseshift
03-22-16, 19:10
I was wondering what type or how KAC does their anodizing on SR15 upper receivers? I have a Noveske lower and noveske is significantly more matte than that of the KAC SR15 upper I have. Both are anodized as well but I'm curious as to why the huge difference in finish.

P2000
03-22-16, 20:40
I believe Noveske does things differently than most other manufacturers. They apply cerakote over the anodizing.

WS6
03-22-16, 21:29
Each anodizer has their own special tweaks to the bath and time, is my opinion.

VIP3R 237
03-22-16, 21:38
Each anodizer has their own special tweaks to the bath and time, is my opinion.

Exactly, it's amazing the difference in color that we get from different Anodizers, and even from different batches of aluminum as content varies slightly from batch to batch.

WS6
03-22-16, 21:48
Exactly, it's amazing the difference in color that we get from different Anodizers, and even from different batches of aluminum as content varies slightly from batch to batch.

Yep, you can vary texture, color, and a slew of other things. Anodizing is like paint in that regard. Technique, time, surface, and chemical make-up can all vary how it turns out. Also, like painting something, ano is an ART.

Stickman
03-22-16, 22:29
I was wondering what type or how KAC does their anodizing on SR15 upper receivers? I have a Noveske lower and noveske is significantly more matte than that of the KAC SR15 upper I have. Both are anodized as well but I'm curious as to why the huge difference in finish.

Gen 3 Noveske stuff is anodized and then Cerrakoted matte black. You are not comparing anodizing to anodizing when you are looking at your KAC vs Noveske (if Gen 3).

quackhead
03-23-16, 00:02
It varies greatly from batch to batch. Remember old school Bushmaster purple? I had an olde LMT MRP upper that was purple as well.

phaseshift
03-23-16, 05:48
Gen 3 Noveske stuff is anodized and then Cerrakoted matte black. You are not comparing anodizing to anodizing when you are looking at your KAC vs Noveske (if Gen 3).

well thats the thing, i just had my local anodizer re-anodize the noveske lower and it still looks matte?

scooter22
03-23-16, 06:46
I've never come across a black anodized receiver that wasn't matte...

phaseshift
03-23-16, 06:49

the knight's are more of a satin/matte

Brahmzy
03-23-16, 07:07

Plenty of satin anodizing out there. MEGA is known for their stellar anodizing, among other things, and it's always a super black, satin, slick anodize.

phaseshift
03-23-16, 08:13
Plenty of satin anodizing out there. MEGA is known for their stellar anodizing, among other things, and it's always a super black, satin, slick anodize.

Is it close to what KAC does? Would I be able to replicate something like that with a local anodized given I give them instructions? If so, how would I go about that. Maybe my best bet is to just let Ayan cerakote my entire rifle FDE lol

mack7.62
03-23-16, 08:38
well thats the thing, i just had my local anodizer re-anodize the noveske lower and it still looks matte?

Why? I always considered anodizing a one and done type of thing, not something to do over and over.

VIP3R 237
03-23-16, 09:06
Why? I always considered anodizing a one and done type of thing, not something to do over and over.

Yes, you can **** up the dimensions if you strip and re-anodize your parts. Anodizing is almost impossible to match, especially parts from two different sources. I'd put money that KAC's and Noveske's surface prep are not the same and that alone will give you a different sheen, as well as KAC's forgings vs Noveske's billets will not anodize the same way even if they are in the same batch.

If you are worried about matching color then Cerakote is your answer.

MegademiC
03-23-16, 09:10
Yes, you can **** up the dimensions if you strip and re-anodize your parts. Anodizing is almost impossible to match, especially parts from two different sources. I'd put money that KAC's and Noveske's surface prep are not the same and that alone will give you a different sheen, as well as KAC's forgings vs Noveske's billets will not anodize the same way even if they are in the same batch.

This, if you NEED it to match cerekote it, imo.

Edit: ha, you must have added that between loading the page and quoting you.

_Stormin_
03-23-16, 10:43
Now that we know WHY they look different, the question becomes, does it NEED to match.

Is this a tool, or a toy for the fashion show? Don't get me wrong, I have a nickel plated 1911 that has no business being considered a hard use tool. I bought it because I could, not because I needed it. On my tools (carry guns) I really don't give much of a damn. Tools need to work. A KAC upper on a Noveske lower should be capable of always working. Color mismatch be damned.

djegators
03-23-16, 15:58

For sure. This is a rifle for my wife, that I had anodized pink...I knew the rail would be different, as that is a much different aluminum, but if you look close, even the upper and lower do not match (easier to see in person). All three pieces were done at the same time, same batch, same process, etc.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/DSCN0021_zps7e03e73a.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/DSCN0026_zpsdf94ff6e.jpg

VIP3R 237
03-23-16, 16:07
For sure. This is a rifle for my wife, that I had anodized pink...I knew the rail would be different, as that is a much different aluminum, but if you look close, even the upper and lower do not match (easier to see in person). All three pieces were done at the same time, same batch, same process, etc.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/DSCN0021_zps7e03e73a.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/djegators/DSCN0026_zpsdf94ff6e.jpg

Perfect example. I'm assuming your receivers are 7075 and your Hand Guard is 6061. 6061 is great at taking colors with ano, while 7075 doesn't as well.

GH41
03-23-16, 16:27
The rail is more than likely extruded and the receivers are forged. Alloy recipe is surely different but texture and density also has something to do with it. I have a BCM upper on a Mega lower. Both are reputable builders not known for cutting corners. The finish on the lower is noticeably smoother and lighter colored than the coarser darker finish on the upper. I am sure texture will affect color. Do I give a rats ass? NO

djegators
03-23-16, 18:22
Perfect example. I'm assuming your receivers are 7075 and your Hand Guard is 6061. 6061 is great at taking colors with ano, while 7075 doesn't as well.

Exactly. But even the upper and lower are slightly off, and they are both PSA.

MistWolf
03-23-16, 18:27
To clarify-

The color you see is not the actual anodizing. It's a dye that's applied during the anodizing process. Aluminum that's anodized without any dye applied will be a dull grey