PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Sights.. Opinions welcome

Cincinnatus15
03-22-16, 21:44
I've been carrying a Glock 19 with XS big dots for the past 6 months or so and really like them for the quick "flash" sight picture inside ~25 yards. Beyond that, for me they require a bit more focus to put rounds where you want them. That being said, I've ordered a set of Ameriglo Defoor sights and I also have a set of XS standard dots laying around that I've never used. I ordered the KD sights with the intention of putting them on the Glock however I recently found the XS standard dots and I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've never used the standard dots before so I'm not sure how much better they perform at distance over the big dots (which is my main reason for pulling the big dots); yet I'm also unsure of how well the KD sights fair in terms of speed. I'm sure the KD sights will allow better accuracy at distance than either of the XS sights. So - in terms of a carry pistol/sidearm, which would you prefer and why? Any personal experience, opinions, etc. are welcome.

MegademiC
03-22-16, 22:02
Ameriglo operator idots pro.

Quick enough for up close(peripherals pick the front sight up), accurate enough to make a headshot on demand at 25yds.

There is a slight learning curve to get used to the unotch imo, but once you get it, it's great imo. I like night sights, I like a bright front, subdued rear (but still night visible), and wide notch. Just my opinion, but the once you get practice with the large light bars, it's a non issue for accuracy.

titsonritz
03-22-16, 22:32
I prefer Trijicon HD sights for many of the same reasons MegademiC likes the Ameriglo, they also have a wide U-notch but instead of a two dot the i they use the 3 dot. The rear tritium vials are blacked out to blend well with the rear sight body helping focus to the bold orange (which I use) or yellow ring on the front sight where it should be. The rear sight body is back angled and serrated to reduce glare. They have a good shelf for one handed racking. They are plenty fast and offer good accuracy potential.

methical20
03-22-16, 22:38
I have Trijicon HDs and like you, prefer the big dot for inside of 25 yards. For me, they leave something to be desired at distance.

I'd opt for a Warren Tactical/Dawson Precision fiber optic front/blacked out rear sight combo. People who are well respected on this board have stated that a FO sight is durable enough for carry, and even if the fiber optic gets knocked out, you essentially have a black front sight to use.

ZGXtreme
03-22-16, 22:45
We qualify out to 50 yards and were issued Gen4 21's with Glock's Night Sights. They've worked fine for me.

MountainRaven
03-22-16, 23:07
Of the two, I would go with the Defoor sights. The only ding I might have against them, personally, is that the front sight appears to not be particularly high visibility (although it does have a tritium vial up front, if what Google is showing me is any indication).

The small dot XS sights aren't really much, if any, better than the big dot sights.

In any event, my preference is a high visibility front and a plain rear. Gold bead, brass bead, tritium in a white outline, tritium on fluorescent, fiber optic, whichever one gets your heart moving or has proven the best for you and your anticipated type(s) of shooting. Rear sight doesn't matter hugely, so long as it's plain. My preference is for something with a U-shaped notch, a profile that tapers toward the top, and a good, hard angle on the front of the sight to use as a cocking assist.

For the money, I'd get a set of Ameriglo Splaudings or Hackathorns if you need to have tritium. Otherwise, a set of Warren or 10-8 sights, plain rear, FO or a gold or brass bead front sight - or an Ameriglo HD-type, if you can find one. Wilson Combat sights are my current favorites, with either the fiber optic or gold bead front, but they're the more expensive option (I'm not fond of Wilson's tritium front sight, as it is simply a tritium vial set into a plain black blade. I would choose someone else's front sight, if you must have tritium).

tanktop
03-22-16, 23:37
I'm a very inexperienced shooter so take my opinion with a grain of salt. A three dot sight picture is great for bullseye shooting but seems to me to take an extra second to get a good sight picture, if that's all you train with great but if not for sd shooting I stay away. Classic GLOCK sights I can put a mag in a silhouette at 10 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger. That said a vertical or horizontal rear line with a big dot up front to me is the fastest most precise sight to me. Unfortunately I've never seen this setup outside my SIG but these sights are very fast and accurate.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160323/67fd9471bc9c765c24553916c04f19e3.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160323/752aacb71187875f4be5c1ff6a971c14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quackhead
03-23-16, 00:08
I have been a fan of heinie straight eights for some time now. The qwik/ wider notch helps pick the front sight up fast.

donlapalma
03-23-16, 00:27
I've used the Ameriglo Hack, Trijicon HDs, and Warren Tactical 2-Dot configuration sights on my Glocks. After trying them all, I've stuck with the Ameriglo Hack sights which have a tritium insert in the front sight surrounded by a bright orange outline, serrated plain black rear with a square rear notch. They are low profile, do not have sharp edges, have a good ledge for one handed manipulations, and are less expensive than other popular offerings. They work well for me at speed with the orange outline making it very easy to track the front sight and are reasonably accurate at greater distances.

I really wanted to like the HDs but I found the U notch a little weird for me. My brain just preferred the square notch over the U notch. I do prefer the plain black rear (less confusion for my eyes trying to line up 3 dots) but the subdued rear tritiums on the HDs worked well and I did not find them distracting in day light. However, I do think the tritium vials in the rear sight are beneficial in low / no light situations. If the HDs had a square rear notch I would go with these sights on all my Glocks without hesitation.

The Warren Tactical 2-Dot (i.e., align front sight dot on top of rear sight dot) sights had a U notch in the rear sight and both tritium vials were outlined in white. I couldn't warm up to the 2-Dot configuration and found these sights less accurate, anecdotally, than the Hack or HD sights. Plus, I had a much harder time tracking the front sight when shooting at speed. I learned at this point that the bright orange outline on the Hack or HDs were far better for me in this regard.

You'll likely have to experiment a bit until you find the set that suits you. I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck.

556BlackRifle
03-23-16, 02:04
My favorite are Trijicon HD yellow. The rear sight shelf is great for emergency cycling on a belt or boot heel. The serrations on the rear sight cuts down on glare and allows you to focus clearly on the front sight for super fast target acquisition.

whatthepuck
03-23-16, 03:49
I'm a fan of the Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights. They're very much like the Trijicon HDs, without the u-notch. Also, a set of the Ameriglos is typically $30-50 cheaper than the HDs and are lower profile. I've had a set of HDs and found the sharp edges on the rear sight snagged on my shirt more often than I'd like. All my g19s now wear the Ameriglos, part #GL-446.

Watrdawg
03-23-16, 07:36
I have the Trijicon HD's on all of my handguns. I like the yellow outlined front dot. I pick it up quicker than the orange.

Cincinnatus15
03-23-16, 07:40
You'll likely have to experiment a bit until you find the set that suits you. I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck.

Everyone, the responses have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated. I think this sentence (quoted) sums my situation up pretty well. I understand sights are a very personal thing, I'm just hoping I can find a sight that suits my needs before spending too much money. I'm going to throw the Ameriglo KD sights on and see how they perform in the daytime/low light. I've tried to like the big dot and DO like it for certain scenarios but it just doesn't cut it at distance. There's only so much accuracy that can be squeezed out of a pistol at distance when the front sight is that big. So here's to hoping the KD sights fit the bill.. Thanks again everyone and if anyone has any other opinions on the matter, or experiences with different sights please share..

brickboy240
03-23-16, 09:46
Sights are a very personal thing. What works well for one person feels awful to another.

FWIW, I have DeFoor sights on both my 9mm Glocks and really like them. They are very durable as well.

L-2
03-23-16, 10:59
I'm usually using Ameriglo.com steel sights with no tritium. I liked DeFoor's thoughts on keeping it simple. At one time, I had four guns all with night sights needing replacement. With the quality, size, and easy deployment of handheld or mounted weaponlights, I'm always carrying a flashlight, too.

I've often found my Glocks hit high with me and will usually buy a lower rear or higher front sight to compensate from the stock heights. Ameriglo's variety allows me to do this. I do have some Glocks where I used a Glock rear sight as I already had one in my parts. That big white "U" can distract a bit, however.

jackblack73
03-23-16, 13:31
I really like my 10-8 sights. But if I were to do it over, I'd get the 10-8 rear and an Ameriglo front with green outline.

jackblack73
03-23-16, 13:39
I'm a very inexperienced shooter so take my opinion with a grain of salt. A three dot sight picture is great for bullseye shooting but seems to me to take an extra second to get a good sight picture, if that's all you train with great but if not for sd shooting I stay away.
IMO, if you're "bullseye shooting," you shouldn't even be looking at the dots.

Beef15
03-23-16, 13:54
Warrens. http://i.imgur.com/pcGf25Z.jpg
Work well up close, FO not so obnoxious it distracts from precision at distance.

GUNSLINGER733
03-23-16, 14:00
10-8s (.115" Front or Wilson/ Vickers Combat Sights. Fiber Optic Front/ Serrated Rear.

Cincinnatus15
03-23-16, 16:23
The Defoor's are being put on tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. After
Shooting big dots for a while I'm not gonna know what to do with the sight picture lol.

Kdubya
03-23-16, 17:27
This discussion came along at the perfect time. I'm currently debating between the I-Dot Pros and the XS for my G30s. I was considering speed sights, but for $175 bucks, I just have to pass. For those with experience with the XS sights, do you feel the standard size dot gives markedly better accuracy over the big dot? Frankly, I'm not a bullseye shooter with pistols and this is going on an EDC, but I do like to shoot steel out past 25 Yards. For what the sight is, I'm thinking the Big Dot is the way to go, but haven't completely sold myself on it. I'd be interested to hear from those that have run both. Would also be open to someone talking me into the I-Dot pros. Thanks!

MadAngler1
03-23-16, 19:46
Trijicon HDs for me, because three dots at night are a big plus IMHO. The HDs keep the rears blacked out for daytime shooting but still allow three tritium dots at night. I am not sure why anyone would put plain black sights on a defensive pistol.

williejc
03-23-16, 23:06
I predict that you'll keep the XS sights because you already like them. I would think that the big front sight might make you shoot too low. Does it?

Tequila45
03-24-16, 05:17
Fiber optic front with a black rear. I've shot hundreds of rounds and have them on three of my guns and I haven't lost the tube out of any.

1911-A1
03-24-16, 08:56
Ameriglo Hackathorns are my favorite. I have them on all my Glawks.

Tritium/Day-glo front sight and solid black rear. They're very fast on target and precise for longer shots.

Contrary to the photo, both of mine have a flat face for racking the slide on belts, tables, eye sockets, etc.

WickedWillis
03-24-16, 10:22
I use Trijicon HD's on my EDC 19. My only knock on these sights is the rear has really sharp edges, and tend to stab me quite a bit when IWB carrying. The AMeriglo Spartan's are very similar, but have more rounded edges on the rear sight. I'd go HD's, or Ameriglo Spartans or Hacks if I was buying new Glock sights. I can no longer shoot well with standard three dot sights.

Tzook
03-24-16, 10:42
I am pretty fond of the Vickers sights from Wilson Combat. I have the tritium and blacked out rear. Only caveat is, I have had some trouble getting them really on at extreme distances. (More than 65-75 yards.)

Jesse H
03-24-16, 10:45
I've got 4 sets of Hackathorns from a 43 to 17. Like everyone I love how fast the front sight gets picked up. I still have young-ish eyes so head shots at 25 yards aren't an issue, smaller targets do get covered by the larger front sight.

Only reason I haven't put a set on my duty 22 is we're supposed to transition to 9mm soon.

trinydex
03-24-16, 12:38
i have dawson precision fixed charger tritium sights. they're expensive. they're tall. if you have the safariland 7ts series holsters, the "base" of the front sight (which adds the large height) will scrape the sides of the sight channel. you can shave the holster very easily, but this is an extra hassle that just isn't present in other holsters, for a benefit that isn't really pronounced over regular fixed sights.

Cincinnatus15
03-25-16, 09:43
I predict that you'll keep the XS sights because you already like them. I would think that the big front sight might make you shoot too low. Does it?

Nailed it. I honestly tried the Defoor's and because I've been shooting with express sights I guess I've gotten used to them. The notch and post are great for accuracy, but the express sights are more simple and the sight picture is fast and easy. I ordered the standard dot to try and squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them. The big dot at 25 yards, for me, did shoot low. Sight picture is hard to judge sometimes when shooting at distance. Standard express sights will be here today and after I install/shoot I'll give an update on them.

Here's a guys review on the standard dot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFabn8CFH4

munch520
03-25-16, 15:02
Hacks on everything (GL433). Not great for accuracy at distance but super quick to pick up and easy to track that front sight.

Kdubya
03-25-16, 15:38
I ordered the standard dot to try and squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them. The big dot at 25 yards, for me, did shoot low. Sight picture is hard to judge sometimes when shooting at distance. Standard express sights will be here today and after I install/shoot I'll give an update on them.

That makes two of us. I haven't tried the XS sights before, but ended up deciding to give the Standard version a shot. The box from Amazon was waiting patiently for me to get home. Gonna get these on and I'll try to add a review from a new user's perspective.

One question. Does anyone know how to tell how old the sights I received are in regards to the Trituim?

Kdubya
03-25-16, 15:51
One question. Does anyone know how to tell how old the sights I received are in regards to the Trituim?

That was easier than I thought to figure out. So, for those that don't know. There's a date code on the housing. When looking mine over I kind of assumed that's what the digits represented, but my fronts and rears were mismatched (ie one is '15' and one is '16'). Now I know!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9jo06mzk.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9jo06mzk.jpg.html)

Cincinnatus15
03-25-16, 21:09
That was easier than I thought to figure out. So, for those that don't know. There's a date code on the housing. When looking mine over I kind of assumed that's what the digits represented, but my fronts and rears were mismatched (ie one is '15' and one is '16'). Now I know!

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9jo06mzk.jpg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9jo06mzk.jpg.html)

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

antlad
03-25-16, 21:21
I haven't seen any mention of the proctor Y notch sights for the glock. I run them on my G20 G4 and am very happy with the precision they afford in really stretching the distance of the 10mm. I haven't done a whole lot of close in transition work with them but others I've talked to that run them on the 9's have been very satisfied. The cost is very reasonable as well.

MStarmer
03-26-16, 17:29
Hack's!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/20160131-DSC_2072-2.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/mstarmer/media/20160131-DSC_2072-2.jpg.html)

contax_shooter
03-26-16, 20:28
I pick up the Hackathorns quickest out of any of the other ones. Slightly off topic but is there something available that's similar to the Hackathorns for 1911's with Novak cuts?

JG007
03-26-16, 21:19
Anyone else think heine straight 8 ledge rule?

DireStraits
03-26-16, 21:24
Nailed it. I honestly tried the Defoor's and because I've been shooting with express sights I guess I've gotten used to them. The notch and post are great for accuracy, but the express sights are more simple and the sight picture is fast and easy. I ordered the standard dot to try and squeeze a bit more accuracy out of them. The big dot at 25 yards, for me, did shoot low. Sight picture is hard to judge sometimes when shooting at distance. Standard express sights will be here today and after I install/shoot I'll give an update on them.

Here's a guys review on the standard dot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFabn8CFH4

I'm looking forward to your update.

I'm in the same position as the OP, but I'm trying to hold off on purchasing a set of night sights until I can take my next handgun course and/or I complete my first low-light/night fire class.

Anyhow, I've considered most if not all of the aforementioned sights and I keep coming back to the XS standard dot with a tritium rear sight for my starting point. Glad to hear others are doing the same.

DireStraits
03-26-16, 21:52
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Yep, thanks for sharing.

Frailer
03-26-16, 22:11
Hard to go wrong with Ameriglo Hackathorns.

Cagemonkey
03-26-16, 22:22
I like the 10'8 with a Green Fiber Optic front sight.

tanktop
03-26-16, 22:31
I know sights are completely personal so I've got to say, fiber optics do absolutely nothing for me, zilch, zero, nada! Last thing I shot with them was my now non existent XDs, "oh great, a tiny red dot that would make bullseye shooting great with a better pistol... so long as there's no timer". Maybe I should have tried something other than red but it took me forever to pickup the front sight and I have better than 20/20 vision.

MStarmer
03-26-16, 23:16
Anyhow, I've considered most if not all of the aforementioned sights and I keep coming back to the XS standard dot with a tritium rear sight for my starting point. Glad to hear others are doing the same.

If the XS sights work for you then go for it, but make sure you set up all your guns the same. I like consistency, I have either the Ameriglo or HD front on just about all my guns. No matter what I pick up they look just about the same. As far as the Hack's go for the Glock's there's no better value out there. I paid $60.75 shipped to my door for my last set in December from Optics Planet. I have good luck with them all the way out to 25yds, even on my G26/G27.

Cincinnatus15
03-27-16, 08:22
I'm looking forward to your update.

I'm in the same position as the OP, but I'm trying to hold off on purchasing a set of night sights until I can take my next handgun course and/or I complete my first low-light/night fire class.

Happy Easter to you all, first of all. And yes, we are on the same page when it comes to sights. I know some people think the XS big dot sights are gimmicky but you can get work done with them. And up close (~25 yards), the big dot cannot be beat. I've got the standard dot installed now and I like it, I haven't shot it yet, but I like it. I can see in a stressful situation however that the standard dot isn't going to jump out at you like a big dot would. I'm going to shoot the standard dots and find out whether or not I can see an increase in accuracy at distance. If not, big dots may be going back on my pistol. I have my pistol for one reason only, self defense. I will say however that going from notch and post sights, to express sights, back to notch and post sights, the express sights are just so simple and fast. I REALLY like the philosophy behind them. I know there are critics, but express sights are often overlooked and I think they really are the best defensive pistol sights.

Jpoe88
03-27-16, 10:09
I had Ameriglo CAP on my XD-9 and really liked them. Kinda in a dilema with my new g19 though. I promised 500 rounds with factory sights. The 2nd range trip determines if i want aftermarket or steel Glock sights

MStarmer
03-27-16, 12:34
Sights are a very personal thing, if something works for you or looks right then go with it. I have more sets of sights in a toolbox drawer than I have pairs of socks. I really found that the Ameriglo fronts the best balance between value, speed, accuracy and availability. I do have a couple sets of Trijicon HD's but the price is prohibitive imho. For us guys creeping up on 50 the black / black just doesn't cut it anymore. I use to need nothing more than a set of black Heinie or 10-8's and see them in just about every situation, now I'm more like "What sights?".

Bottom line is anything that gets you good hits at the speed and distance YOU need should work. Run em' under stress whether a few matches or class and see how they perform. Some things work great static but not so much when put to a little more test.

GregP220
03-27-16, 13:40
Not much depth of field in this shot but here are 2 19s and a 17 with various Ameriglo sights. I greatly prefer a front sight that grabs my attention and a very plain rear sight.
The CAP sights on the left are interesting. Sort of like the old Sig Von Stavenhagen (sp?) sights.

The 17 has the Ameriglo Protector sights which are basically Hacks with a yellow front dot. For the 19 on the right I just ordered a la carte from the Ameriglo catalog and purchased a plain black rear with an orange front.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sLJmDfP6zk4/VvgnZ1DDgeI/AAAAAAAADDE/AjOQ9cjnuoULDLUO1c033bQu4AWR1Vd5gCCo/s1152-Ic42/DSC_0193.JPG

Jpoe88
03-27-16, 13:49
The reason I liked the CAP is #1, 3 dot sights no matter the color are very distractingn low light or not feom my target. I end up seeing 6 dotsn and spend more time focusing on the sights than actual acquisition. The CAP, is enough for night bc i can see my front dot and align with the rear photoluminescent bar. Not too distracting from the target as a whole if that makes sense.

I just talked myself into another set. Damn

Dienekes
03-29-16, 21:04
I finally went with a G19 gen 4 because I want a tool for SD. Put the XS big dot on as it practically sights itself at speed. I have sufficient other guns for play that I like better, but this thing is the equivalent of a set of vise grips. If the big golf ball is anywhere in the middle of the target (and it always is, at close range) we're gonna go bang.

Accuracy is more a matter of trigger control than the sights anyway--front sight, press.

Cincinnatus15
03-30-16, 07:21
I finally went with a G19 gen 4 because I want a tool for SD. Put the XS big dot on as it practically sights itself at speed. I have sufficient other guns for play that I like better, but this thing is the equivalent of a set of vise grips. If the big golf ball is anywhere in the middle of the target (and it always is, at close range) we're gonna go bang.

Accuracy is more a matter of trigger control than the sights anyway--front sight, press.

Agreed. They're definitely designed with self defense in mind. Out to ~30 yards it's like you said, cover with dot, press. They're great for what they are. I know I've said it before but I love the general concept of them and the history behind them.

Kdubya
03-30-16, 19:01
I've got the standard dot installed now and I like it, I haven't shot it yet, but I like it. I can see in a stressful situation however that the standard dot isn't going to jump out at you like a big dot would.

I'm eager to hear your report. I haven't shot my Standard XS sights yet either, but I'm really loving the sight picture. I was a little nervous that I should have maybe gone with the Big dot, but the Standard already seems like it will be a LOT quicker than the Stock Glock Sights. I know we're all different. So that is my personal first impression as an average pistol shooter. I'm sure the Big dot could be better for defensive purposes but, fortunately, I haven't been spoiled by it. The whole set up is new to me, and I have nothing but good things to say about this Standard dot's initial sight picture.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqyvvcux4.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqyvvcux4.jpeg.html)

Tritium sights are new to me as well, and I absolutely love it. Excellent in all types of transitional light sources. On the XS they are easy to both pick up and line up.

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/kmwood06/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxual4l99.jpeg (http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/kmwood06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsxual4l99.jpeg.html)

Overall, I feel for me, dotting the "i" is much easier than lining up a 3 dot. I really like that I don't have to think as much about where the front sight post is in terms of elevation, as all you need to do is dot the "i". Most sights I've run require processing both vertical and horizontal orientation. For me, it seems the XS sights consolidate the two into only one item to focus on. Maybe that is why so many like them. Because for some shooters it seems to cut the process of getting a good sight picture in half.

Again, I may be singing a different tune after a couple of range sessions. But, I'm optimistic. A favorable impression and a feeling of confidence in a given sighting system goes a long ways, and I feel like I'm getting that with the Standard XS. If nothing else, these were probably the EASIEST pistol sights I've ever installed.

DireStraits
03-31-16, 07:33
From my research, most preferred the standard dot over the big dot. My reading indicated that the big dot was "too much of a good thing."

Right or wrong, your last two paragraphs sum-up my sentiments as well.

chiefkeff
03-31-16, 08:47
the original sight does the job, whats all the fuss?

Jesse H
03-31-16, 09:01
For a gun you're only plinking with in a well lit range, they're ok.

The lower portion of the front dot is partially covered by the rears. Lining up the actual sights yeilds will allow POA/POI but it's still distracting. Not to mention plastic sights being well, plastic.

Cincinnatus15
03-31-16, 11:32
I've heard more people say the big dot is the way to go due to the benefits of speed up close etc. even XS recommends their big dot over the standard. That being said, I am liking the sight picture and feel confident I'll be able to make better hits at distance with them. I'll report back once I shoot. If they don't provide any benefit then I'll be throwing big dots back on.

Kdubya
03-31-16, 12:49
I've heard more people say the big dot is the way to go due to the benefits of speed up close etc. even XS recommends their big dot over the standard. That being said, I am liking the sight picture and feel confident I'll be able to make better hits at distance with them. I'll report back once I shoot. If they don't provide any benefit then I'll be throwing big dots back on.

I've heard similar things about XS recommending the Big over the Standard. It makes sense, as they bill this as a true speed, QC, sight at its core. Not that it can't provide accuracy, but it's primary intent is for quicker target engagement.

One question. Did you have to buy a whole new sighting system, or just the Front? I also wonder if the Front that goes on the 19 is the same that would go on the 30s, or if it is dependent upon the specific Glock model one owns.

MStarmer
03-31-16, 15:43
All Glock front sights go on the same way, with the screw.

Kdubya
03-31-16, 16:38
All Glock front sights go on the same way, with the screw.

I understand they go on the same. But not all are the same height. Some make a front or rear sight in one height for a G19 and another height for a G30.

Cincinnatus15
04-01-16, 11:02
I've heard similar things about XS recommending the Big over the Standard. It makes sense, as they bill this as a true speed, QC, sight at its core. Not that it can't provide accuracy, but it's primary intent is for quicker target engagement.

One question. Did you have to buy a whole new sighting system, or just the Front? I also wonder if the Front that goes on the 19 is the same that would go on the 30s, or if it is dependent upon the specific Glock model one owns.

XS has specific manufacturers listed on their website and allows you to choose your model. The 19 and 30 are different sights from what I understand. But, if you had a Glock 19 and had a big dot, but wanted to switch to the standard dot, you could just swap the front sight. The difference I believe between the 19 and 30 is the height of the rear and front sight, but I could be wrong.

Cincinnatus15
04-01-16, 11:06
I understand they go on the same. But not all are the same height. Some make a front or rear sight in one height for a G19 and another height for a G30.

Well you answered your own question and worded it better than I did lol.

Kdubya
04-01-16, 13:06
Well you answered your own question and worded it better than I did lol.

Lol. Thanks. Although I'm not sure I answered it. I was just rephrasing as another Member thought I was referring to how the sights were installed when I said "goes on a Glock 19 vs goes on a Glock 30..." By "goes on" I intended it to mean "designed for". But, I think you understand my intent. I also think you are correct in your other post about the Rears being different heights based upon the Model of Glock. I think the Front sight probably stays the same regardless of the Glock Model.

Thanks!

MStarmer
04-01-16, 17:46
Lol. Thanks. Although I'm not sure I answered it. I was just rephrasing as another Member thought I was referring to how the sights were installed when I said "goes on a Glock 19 vs goes on a Glock 30..." By "goes on" I intended it to mean "designed for". But, I think you understand my intent. I also think you are correct in your other post about the Rears being different heights based upon the Model of Glock. I think the Front sight probably stays the same regardless of the Glock Model.

Thanks!

Yep for Glock factory sights the poi is adjusted with the rear, for most aftermarket adjustments are made mostly via front sight height (or a combination of both).

deleteyourselph
04-03-16, 18:32
Warren Tactical

ICEMAN550
04-06-16, 17:34
I have the Henning battlehook with fiber optic front sight on my glock 21 and they are perfect for me. I like the Trijicon HD, but find they shoot about 3" -5' high on a glock 17. I have only tried them a few times and while easy to pickup for fast target sighting, the front sight may not be ideal for shooting at 25 yards. For many people that may not be a problem, but for others who have to qualify at 25 yards, they may not work well. The battlehooks have blackout rear(option of subdued tritium 2 dot rear like the HD, but it is the rear sight cut combined with a slightly higher front sight that works best for me. It is easy to have fairly tight groups at 25 yards and still able to pick up targets fast with the fiberoptic front.I also like the Wilson Combat/Vickers sights with the gold bead front. I have tru glo TFO on a glock 19 and was off at first because I was leveling the posts instead of the dots in the sights which require the front sight post to be just below level with rear sight. Once I got used to them they work fine, but still find the rear sights to be distracting when shooting outdoors. A lot of sight preference is individual and it seems that as we get older, the blackout rear with a red/green/yellow orange front sight may be worth considering.

Cincinnatus15
04-07-16, 10:53
So just to give my experience.. I decided after playing with the standard dot the "increase" in accuracy at distance (for me) isn't worth the loss of speed when it comes to picking up the front sight for defensive use up close. While there may situations where shots further than ~40-50 yards may present themselves, it's highly unlikely. I've switched back to the Big Dots, nothing beats them for speed. And making shots on a silhouette target at 50 yards isn't too hard for me and I'm probably an average pistol shot (below possibly). Before I'm chastised, I understand W. Earp (?) said fast is fine but accuracy is final. This is true, but you've gotta beat the other guy to the punch. More than likely if ever forced to use my pistol for defense I will have been surprised and will be playing catch up.

Jeff Cooper (Principles of Personal Defense, 1989, pg. 25):

"Speed is the absolute essence of any form of combat,
from a fencing match to the Six-Day War. (Absence of
speed is what history will probably decide caused us to lose
in Vietnam.) Napoleon said, "I may lose a battle but I will
never lose a minute." Personal defense speeds this up. We
must say, "I may lose this fight, but I will not lose this
second!" Apparently overwhelming strength is of no importance
if it is not brought to bear before it is preempted.
In our Old West it was said, "Do unto others as they would
do unto you, but do it first." Amen."

For those interested in the book here is a link, it's a great read: http://www.twistedwiretactical.com/Twistedwire/Book_Club_files/Principles_of_Self_Defense.pdf

PaLEOjd
04-07-16, 11:42
I have always used Glock night sights on all of my Glocks. They just seem to work best for me and they are inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

Edmo
04-07-16, 13:48
Like others have posted, I'm a big fan of the Ameriglo I-Dot Pro on my carry guns...

Edmo

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l223/Edmo_03/gun%20stuff/IdotPro_zps843d78b9.png

Kdubya
04-07-16, 13:57
So just to give my experience.. I decided after playing with the standard dot the "increase" in accuracy at distance (for me) isn't worth the loss of speed when it comes to picking up the front sight for defensive use up close. While there may situations where shots further than ~40-50 yards may present themselves, it's highly unlikely. I've switched back to the Big Dots, nothing beats them for speed. And making shots on a silhouette target at 50 yards isn't too hard for me and I'm probably an average pistol shot (below possibly).

Thanks for the follow up! Since I only have the Standard, I'll give them a fair shake. But, I'll keep the Big in mind and maybe order just the Front Big Dot and give it a run.

Kdubya
04-18-16, 19:45
I wanted to post a quick follow up. I finally got out to the range and ran about 150 rounds with my XS Standard Dots. I have to say, they're excellent sights. Very quick on target and not that hard to squeeze some nice accuracy out of. I'm sure the Big Dot is faster, but having not been spoiled by the larger version, I don't feel like I'm longing for more.

Maybe I'm just one of those people that doesn't do well with Glock sights, but I can't believe how much easier it is to pick up and focus on the front sight. With the stock sights, I always seemed to have trouble focusing at some point during a range session. The sight picture for these XS sights just sets up really well for me.

One note on the install. They include some "red" thread locker, which I am assuming is Red Loctite. I skipped that and went with some Blue that I had laying around. From my experience, it is much easier to work with when wanting to remove whatever I've got screwed together. I only put it on the front for now, as I may want to drift my rear just a smidge to the right. Neither of the sights budged during the session. Not surprising for the front, but I was a little surprised with the rear. The two tension screws really work well. And I even filed it down a touch to get it into the dovetail in the first place.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these XS Standard Dot Sights. Compared to most of the other tritium sights out there, the price is much better, and they do exactly what I ask of them.

Cincinnatus15
05-04-16, 12:57
So I ended up switching back to the Defoor sights. Reason one being that I think the Big Dots are great for ~20 yards accuracy wise, even further if I take my time. But they just take up too much of the target. As I want to become a better shot, I'm going to have to work on my trigger control and keeping my sights from moving and be able to call my shots. The big dots don't really allow any reference point beyond 10-15 yards. Anyway, I think they handicap my ability to improve my technique/skill level. Gotta bite the bullet and learn how to be as accurate as I can be with the Defoor's.

09fatbob
05-04-16, 14:20
Tru glo fiber optics awesome

Mustang31
05-04-16, 14:27
I'm very curious about the Proctor Y notch sights.

M4Guru
05-04-16, 15:59
I had some. They're very well made, I like the size of the notch and post, nothing to complain about...

That Y notch, however, must be an acquired taste. It was confusing as hell to me when establishing a sight picture. Off they went.

Uprange41
05-04-16, 17:06
I use 10-8's on my Glocks. .100" Fiber Optic front, .156" black rear (I wouldn't really care if it was the .140" either, though).

They're very quick in day light, I like how much of a silhouette I get of the front within the rear during low light, I've never felt they were a hinderance for accuracy (which isn't to say I can make the same group with them as I could with a tighter set of sights, but I've never missed and said "damn these sights!") and they've proven to be durable for me over a few years of using them.

If I ever go back to tritium, I would go with a Heinie Ledge rear and a front like an Ameriglo Pro-Glow with the luminous ring around the tritium. I find that I'm much more consistent with vertical tritium alignment vs. a 3-dot. Plus, I prefer a black rear sight with a catchy front sight over anything else for day time use.

Dionysusigma
05-04-16, 17:08
Has anyone tried the Mepro R4E? (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002157533/meprolight-r4e-sight-set-glock-17-19-22-23-34-35-steel-tritium-front-and-rear)

Not sure if it'd be amazing, or way too busy.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/578/578038.jpg
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/alt1/578/578038.jpg

AKDoug
05-04-16, 17:49
I like the RedBack One and Proctor method of black rear sight and single dot up front. Jason likes the tritium, Frank likes the fiber optic. I'm not a fan of the Y notch either, but the Proctor sights are available in square notch as well. I found that the tritium on my RB1 sights got dirty and wasn't all that bright. I use a weapon light, so on my second G19 I went with the Proctor sights. I like them much better overall.

tanktop
05-04-16, 18:28
It seems the majority is some type of a two dot, dot and a vertical/horizontal line. Simpler is better

Cincinnatus15
05-04-16, 18:41
Just went and ran the Defoor sights and I've gotta say, for the first time out I'm happy. Fist sized groups out to 10 yards (indoor range), and hand sized groups at 15 yards. 90% of my shots at 25 were all in the upper chest area. I had a few flyers (a few in the head and a couple in the shoulder, some off the torso but on paper). due to my shitty trigger control, still working on it and was unable to get a great sight picture because the range is so dimly lit making the serrations on the front post impossible to see. I just had to use the light coming in around the sights. Overall I think as defensive sights they'll do their job as well as the Big Dots yet will allow me to work my fundamentals better than the Big Dots. I really want to become proficient as a pistol shooter and as I said before I'd like to be able to call my shots. I know it'll take time, money, and experience to get where I want to be but it's something I really want to work at. If anyone has any tips regarding accuracy they'd like to share I'm all ears lol.

MegademiC
05-04-16, 21:00
Search trigger control, there are a lot of good threads with tons of info. Sounds like your off to a solid start.

rauchman
05-05-16, 06:10
I'm a fan of the Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights. They're very much like the Trijicon HDs, without the u-notch. Also, a set of the Ameriglos is typically $30-50 cheaper than the HDs and are lower profile. I've had a set of HDs and found the sharp edges on the rear sight snagged on my shirt more often than I'd like. All my g19s now wear the Ameriglos, part #GL-446.

+1

These are my current fav's as well for the same reasons.

Fordtough25
05-05-16, 09:40
I'm still rocking the factory glock night sights on my 19! I've been tempted to try the xs sights before but I like the more traditional sight picture of a "hackathorn."

Qwikrex
05-06-16, 09:59
I prefer Trijicon HD's. The Wilson Combat Vickers sights work pretty well too.

jnr4817
05-06-16, 12:01
I've got trijicon HD and Ameriglo Spartans on several of my glocks. I really can't tell a difference when shooting, but the wallet likes the ameriglos better.

grizzlyblake
05-06-16, 12:44
Another fan of the Defoor sights here. I don't have any real issues on a dimly lit range, only in true night time darkness, but you should be lighting up your target with a flashlight anyway at that point.

I find that any sights with a dot on the front let me point shoot the gun like a shotgun focusing only on the target. The sharp black sights allow true precision alignment, and the extra airspace around the front post get me on target very quickly.

Other than the obvious difference of a rear peep sight, the Defoor sights allow me to align the target right on the top edge of the front post just like the irons on my AR.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7367/11676247886_fc7913447a_o.jpg

bluedog
05-06-16, 13:51
Been using Ameriglo Pro Operator rears w/stock G19 .160 fronts. The Mitutoyo digital reads .175 for the rear.

Any rec for a rear extended tritium, at around .200?

http://i.imgur.com/wPpRHe3l.jpg (http://imgur.com/wPpRHe3)

MStarmer
05-06-16, 16:40
.200 wide? I think you got the widest notch out there, the Ameriglo is advertised at .180 for most of them. Any wider you might have to have someone open them up or grab a file. Either that or pick a thinner front. There's a limit to how thin the tritium fronts are but fiber or plain you can get down to .100 or even .090 I think.

bluedog
05-06-16, 18:38
.200 wide? I think you got the widest notch out there, the Ameriglo is advertised at .180 for most of them. Any wider you might have to have someone open them up or grab a file. Either that or pick a thinner front. There's a limit to how thin the tritium fronts are but fiber or plain you can get down to .100 or even .090 I think.

Thanks. These old eyes prefer the .160 front, but a bit more daylight in the rear would help a bit. Might break out the file and magic marker on one of 'em.

Cincinnatus15
05-08-16, 21:36
Defoor's worked great today. From three yards out to 25. At 25 I shot 4 rounds in rather rapid succession at a circle target (maybe 8 inches in diameter? About the size of a human head maybe a hair bigger) just to see if the sights were close to zero. I had two in the black, one almost dead center and one a bit high and left of center, one off the black but just right of the circle, and one I pulled high and missed completely (I felt the pull). I know that's a small test of accuracy but with big dots they would have covered the entire target making the shot much more difficult if not impossible. I'm gonna keep working, practicing to try and become as proficient as I can be.