PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for CCW to fit

Detective_D
08-21-08, 02:29
Ok, I need some help with this one.

I currently own a G22 and a G27. Neither of which work for me in a CCW role. The main reason for this is because of the style of clothing that I wear. I dont like wearing jeans. I wear shorts most of the year and they are usually Khaki shorts. When it is too cold, I wear Nylon wind pants or something similar.

Both of my guns are too heavy to wear with the style of clothes that I wear. I am thinking that I just need to break down and get a different handgun that will fit my application. I have read about a couple of them and am kinda thinking about the Ruger LCP .380. http://www.ruger.com/LCP/

I am kinda worried it is too small for my hands though. I dont have very large hands but they are not girl size either. Is there something else that I should be looking at instead? Or should I just change the style of clothes that I wear if I want to carry??

chadbag
08-21-08, 02:54
Maybe as a secondary CCW you can look into a SmartCarry system. Not necessariy as easy to draw from but should be usable with your Glock and shorts.

I am not affiliated with them but have used their system

http://www.smartcarry.com/

LDM
08-21-08, 06:48
SmartCarry is very effective RE: concealment. It is fairly comfortable standing and moving about, but not completely comfortable when sitting for me. Draw is slow.
The largest pistols I have carried in SmartCarry are a Smith J-frame and KelTec PF-9. Mine has two pouches, so I can carry a spare mag or folding knife.
I'd buy it again.

sl4mdaddy
08-21-08, 06:57
What about something like the 5.11 holster shirt. I haven't used them but have seen postings elsewhere:

http://www.511tactical.com/511-holster-shirt-vneck-40021.html

chadbag
08-21-08, 14:47
SmartCarry is very effective RE: concealment. It is fairly comfortable standing and moving about, but not completely comfortable when sitting for me. Draw is slow.
The largest pistols I have carried in SmartCarry are a Smith J-frame and KelTec PF-9. Mine has two pouches, so I can carry a spare mag or folding knife.
I'd buy it again.

Sitting is easier if you run it a little lower and kind of against one leg. Makes "fly" retrieval easier as well (is it a pistol or a gun?)

Chad

BAC
08-21-08, 15:05
I might suggest a change of attire. I'm not sure how hot Arkansas gets, but I wear cargo shorts/pants in Florida all the time and carry a heavier gun than yours (gov't 1911). If a G27 is pulling your pants down, the gun is honestly the last thing I'd blame, given the popularity of the G26 and G27 as concealed-carry guns.

There are a few shoulder/torso carry options, like this one (http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html), but they're going to be much slower to draw than traditional holsters just because of their location. I can't profess any experience with them or any other non-traditional holster because so far all I've carried is a full-sized 1911 in a leather IWB holster.

However, if you'd like to fund a new smaller gun and a couple holsters, I'd be more than happy to T&E them for you. :D

-B

hp35
08-21-08, 15:48
I run a G-19 in a Comp-tac Minotaur on a Wilderness Instructor belt with J Crew or Gap brand khaki shorts with no problem.

What kind of belt are you using for CCW when you wear the shorts?

The belt can often make the ordeal of carrying tolerable or intolerable.

RD62
08-21-08, 15:52
Keep the guns and get a gun belt!

I ccw a G17, G27, or 1911, in jeans, slacks, or shorts with no problems. When wearing windpants get a good ankle holster for you G27.

-RD62

markm
08-21-08, 15:52
.380 isn't the answer. The round is a pathetic joke. Penetration is unacceptable. Unless the bad guy will let you put the gun to his head and pull the trigger, forget it.

Detective_D
08-21-08, 16:07
What kind of belt are you using for CCW when you wear the shorts?

The belt can often make the ordeal of carrying tolerable or intolerable.

That right there is the problem. With the clothes that I wear, I dont wear a belt. Most of the pants and shorts that I wear have no belt loops.

I am going to look into the smart carry holsters, but in the mean time I guess I need to think about chunking my clothes all out and buy a whole new wardrobe so that I can carry. :(

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
~D

markm
08-21-08, 16:09
Get some 5.11, some Tad gear, a touch of Carhardts, and a sprinkle of Woolrich elite! You'll look so hot this season, Pookie!! :p

Master_of_Sparks
08-21-08, 16:20
Get some 5.11, some Tad gear, a touch of Carhardts, and a sprinkle of Woolrich elite! You'll look so hot this season, Pookie!! :p
He'll need a CCW badge too.

Detective_D, look at the S&W J-frames and Kahr PM series. Both will fit in your pocket and mine have been utterly reliable.

LOKNLOD
08-21-08, 16:26
That right there is the problem. With the clothes that I wear, I dont wear a belt. Most of the pants and shorts that I wear have no belt loops.

I am going to look into the smart carry holsters, but in the mean time I guess I need to think about chunking my clothes all out and buy a whole new wardrobe so that I can carry. :(

~D

They make pants without belt loops? You're just asking to get "combat pants'd", dude!

markm
08-21-08, 16:26
Seriously though. I can't live without cargo pants anymore.... or Cargo shorts.

I have to get the wallet and phone down in the side pockets so I can deal with the gun and mag(s) up on the waist.

coltm4223
08-21-08, 17:16
I've been spoiled this summer, when it started getting hot I switched from my G-30 in a Sparks SSII to my S&W 442 in a Kramer pocket holster. I've gotten so used to it that my G-30 or any belt gun for that matter, was killing me the other day.(Gonna have to train myself all over again, but that 442 in a Kramer PH is so damn cormfortable). But when the pants I'm wearing won't support a gun I go to a belly band then I could go up to a 1911 and not have to worry about the pants or belt. I've worn this combo with my G-30 and wind pants with no problem.

BAC
08-21-08, 17:28
They make pants without belt loops? You're just asking to get "combat pants'd", dude!

And imagine the look on people's faces when they see a Smart Carry. :p

-B

ST911
08-21-08, 21:37
Or should I just change the style of clothes that I wear if I want to carry??

Yes.

Comfortably fitting cargo pants will wear as easily as your running/wind pants, without the additional problems of the latter. (They also provide some protection against environment, light traumas, fire, etc.) Check out the Woolrich Elite Series. If you want light weight, check out the lightweight version. They are very comfortable, and rip-stop as well.

Your G27 is as much downsizing of a gun as I'd do.

Commit to carrying and make the adjustments necessary.

As always, if carrying one is good, carrying 2 (a BUG) is probably better.

hyrepower
08-22-08, 01:33
I would get a smith and wesson model 340 PD.

MX5
08-22-08, 07:02
Dude, seriously look at your wardrobe. Women have had this problem all along & continue to do so. Clothing & fashion for females is a huge industry in & of itself. Therefore their choices are very limited compared to what's available for males. Those who are serious about carrying, adapt. This often requires compromise & changes be made. Just be certain your reasoning, changes & choices make sense.

Ladies have adapted, yet their clothing & body build presents the hardest problems to overcome. The fashion industry primarily makes clothes for them that don't adapt well to CCW. The female form has distinct differences compared to the male (thank you God!) & holsters generally don't work very well because they're typically designed for the male physique. Yet, in spite of insurmountable challenges, they prevail. You have it much easier regardless of your body build.

Off-body carry is an option, but generally a poor one at best. There are holsters to fit numerous places on the body, but by far the best location is generally on the hip on the strong side. Ability to carry effectively, access, presentation & retention are reasons this location works so well. Carrying an effective sidearm in this location, even a relatively small one requires a good belt & holster. Find someone that will sew belt loops on your trousers. Many people carry a steel framed 5" 1911 on their strong side daily.

If you are serious about CCW you need to reconsider your clothing choices for many reasons. Clothing & how you present yourself sends a very powerful message to those that would do you harm. Good luck

trio
08-22-08, 12:43
i hardly ever...EVER...wear pants with belt loops...I am a stay at home dad...my uniform of the day is gym shorts and a t-shirt...hell most of my shorts don't even have pockets

i carry one of these everywhere i go

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=31&idproduct=6

in it are my G17, spare mag, surefire, leatherman, wallet, cellphone, benchmade, spare pacifiers, diapers, ipod shuffle (for the gym) and anything else I can think to carry...

when i wear pants with pockets (cargo shorts, 5.11, etc.) i still almost always carry the versipak....i was one of those people that hated stuff in my pockets anyway...so the versipak is perfect for me....

plus, not many people will tell someone who is 6'6, 300lbs he is carrying a "murse" to his face :D

DarrinD
08-22-08, 14:43

~D

I carry a G26 CCW and a G17 and have no problem wearing them with shorts all the time, unless work requires a suit, because we all wear shorts in AZ. I carry primarily with shorts combined with a quality gun belt, using a Milt Sparks Versa Max (that would fit your G27 very comfortably as well). I can also carry either in a Blakchawk Serpa paddle holster, which will even stay reasonably put with shorts without a belt (as long as you can cinch em tight with a drawstring). If you want some great, comfortable, tactical shorts, LAPG had some 5.11's on clearance the last time I looked for like $9.99 a piece (I bought two):

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tashcl.html

Then buy a good gun belt and you can have it all at a price that won't break the bank.

RogerinTPA
08-22-08, 14:51
Get some shorts with some belt loops and ditch the parachute pants!:p

ToddG
08-22-08, 16:27
I'd have to concur with the consensus. "I want to carry concealed but not wear a belt" is like saying "I want to drive but without tires on my car."

Carrying a concealed gun day-in day-out as a private citizen is an exercise in compromise. Either compromise on your dress code, or compromise on your preparedness. To each his own. Me, I can live with wearing a belt.

Detective_D
08-22-08, 17:38
Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. I have decided to change up the wardrobe a bit to be more condusive to carrying. I went shopping today and got a few pairs of cargo shorts and a 5.11 tdu belt.

I have to get some more stuff, but that is what I am starting with. Now I have to find a better holster for my G27. I know I want an OWB holster, but just need to go look at a few and do some research on here on some of the other threads.

Thanks again for your help guys.
~D

ST911
08-22-08, 17:42
I know I want an OWB holster, but just need to go look at a few and do some research on here on some of the other threads.

Let me save you some time. Order one of these, pay what they cost, and don't look back.

http://www.holstersplus.com/products.asp?class=lawenforcement&cat=1

Detective_D
09-06-08, 20:15
First of all, Thank all of you guys for your suggestions and such. I have really changed some things and changed my attire.

I bought quite a few pairs of cargo shorts, a 5.11 tactical belt, several longer shirts and such.

I also got a new holster...
http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=5187

This combo works so much better and I have been carrying ever since when leaving the house.

Again, Thank you guys for your help. I am much happier and feel much safer now.
~D

DarrinD
09-07-08, 17:09
This combo works so much better and I have been carrying ever since when leaving the house.

And that is one of the most important and overlooked factors: that you are comfortable enough with your gear that it eventually is no more intrusive than the wallet you put in your pocket every day. Safariland makes top quality duty and concealment holsters, and personally, when I went to a paddle holster I was able to carry far more often in far more places around town than a belt holster. Good Luck and Safe.

DarrinD
09-07-08, 17:14
DELETED

ST911
09-08-08, 11:16
First of all, Thank all of you guys for your suggestions and such. I have really changed some things and changed my attire...This combo works so much better and I have been carrying ever since when leaving the house...Again, Thank you guys for your help. I am much happier and feel much safer now. D

Great news. Now add a BUG.

Carry diligently.

Be a practitioner of the craft, rather a mere participant.