PDA

View Full Version : Horrible HP experience

rero360
03-23-16, 10:41
Good morning everyone, as I promised/warned HP, I am sharing my experience with everyone I have contact with about my ongoing dealings with them.

March 9th, I purchase a ProBook 655 G1 directly from HP as I needed to customize it, maxed out RAM, CPU, and made a few other tweaks, was told it would take some time as it would be custom built for me in China, no biggie. Total value of computer, right around $1,900.

March 21st, I finally receive the Laptop, upon turning it on and attempting to conduct the setup, I discover the 8, i, and k keys do not work. I immediately call Technical Support, the individual I spoke with was obviously in an overseas call center, I told him that I needed it repaired as soon as possible as my current HP is on it's last leg. He tells me that there is a company near me that is an authorized repair shop and gives me their contact info. I call them and discover that they are a print shop and do not do anything close to repairs. I call back to Technical Support, and while I am put on hold while being transferred from one Dept to another, the connection is broken. I also spent time on their online technical support chat with no avail.

March 22nd, I call back, again I am given the run around by individuals who are most likely in India. I get back on the online chat as I can't handle trying to talk with the technical support people and get a resolution. Keep in mind, at every stage of communication I have informed them that it is brand new, I still have all the packaging and I just need a return shipping label. This individual tells me that he is shipping a box to me with the labels in it, I request that it be emailed to me and I can have it in FedEx/UPS/USPS's hands within 10 minutes of the email hitting my inbox, tells me he cannot email the shipping label to me. I call corporate and complain, transferred once again, I get the woman I'm speaking with up to speed with everything that has gone on thus far, and I request that an overnight shipping label be emailed to me, and that my computer be put at the front of the line to be repaired, and overnight shipped back to me. I tell her, along with everyone else, the computer is boxed up and ready to go, that I took the battery out so it can travel via air, she said she can't do anything better for me.

March 23rd, I get an email from FedEx saying that the box they sent me will be delivered on the 24th. Even if I get it out that day, the repair facility won't receive it until Monday the 28th because FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends and the repair shop is likely closed that day as well. I was told five to seven business days to repair it, which puts us at April 4th through the 6th, two day shipping back to me, I won't see my computer until a month after I initially ordered it.

I have voiced my displeasure on their Facebook page, my Facebook page, Instagram page, Calguns, and now here.

CrazyFingers
03-23-16, 10:53
Sounds like a pretty normal retail support process for home users to me. Did you pay extra for any enhanced warranty service, "gold support", etc?

rero360
03-23-16, 11:02
Sounds like a pretty normal retail support process for home users to me. Did you pay extra for any enhanced warranty service, "gold support", etc?

I got the best warranty option that was available, I figure for the money I'm spending and the number of years I expect to get out of the computer that it would be worth it.

They offered to send me a replacement keyboard so I could do the repairs myself, I told them absolutely no, it's a brand new computer, they ****ed up and I'm not going to fix their mistake, plus I can't even see how I would crack this think open without damaging something.

If I had purchased a cheap 200 buck chromebook and or was not dealing with a laptop that is about to die any time now, I wouldn't care, the current solution would be acceptable, but given the circumstances and everything, it is not good enough for me.

Ryno12
03-23-16, 11:02
Always a bummer to receive a newly purchased item that is defective. That said, it sounds like HP is taking care of it. This isn't the first time, nor is it the last time that something similar to this has happened.

Not sure they deserve a public lynching though.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-23-16, 11:18
Uhm, $1900 for a laptop. Buy a Mac.

rero360
03-23-16, 11:24

I would, my wife has one, and an Ipad, we both have Iphones and Ipods, but the Macs don't play well with Solidworks and other Engineering software.

Always a bummer to receive a newly purchased item that is defective. That said, it sounds like HP is taking care of it. This isn't the first time, nor is it the last time that something similar to this has happened.

Not sure they deserve a public lynching though.

The five to six hours it took to get a resolution, being lied to and hung up on, that deserves the public lynching. The inflexibility on their part to resolve this, deserves it. If they had simply emailed me a shipping label on Monday when I first asked for one, even with two day shipping, it would not have been a problem and I wouldn't be bad mouthing them across the internet.

SomeOtherGuy
03-23-16, 12:06
Based on personal experiences with HP and a friend's employment there, I'm guessing you are giving only the highlights, and it was probably even less fun than you're reporting.

IMHO, HP is known for mediocre to bad service, but unfortunately there are few if any good options left for quality computers with good service. I was a fan of Dell at one time but they seem to have slid. Lenovo has been fine for me twice, but I don't enjoy giving my money to a Chinese company, and I'm not sure you wouldn't have a similar experience with their customer service anyway.

MegademiC
03-23-16, 12:57
My hp experience has been terrible as well. The computer is ok, now. Their cs sucks. My next will be a mac.

chuckman
03-23-16, 13:14
We get HPs. Not because they are particularly good, but because they are cheap. I go into buying them eyes wide open, knowing their CS is utterly and disgustingly horrible. Next computer probably going Mac.

eodinert
03-23-16, 15:16

Then you'd be trading crap hardware for for crap software.

Honu
03-23-16, 16:13
HUH
most programs people use are universal ?
one is not better than the other both have pros cons depending on the user and reality is really high end stuff are often closed systems anyways

Then you'd be trading crap hardware for for crap software.

rero360
03-23-16, 18:38
Well, my complaining seems to have paid off, I received an email this morning from a Wendy B regarding the computer, I told her the whole story and asked for the overnight shipping label and rushed repairs, didn't hear back from her for a few hours so I sent her another email asking her if she would be my hero in all this and save HP's image a bit. an hour ago I received an email from her with the shipping label and the computer is at FedEx on its way to get fixed. We shall see how long it takes to get back to me.

SeriousStudent
03-23-16, 18:38
This does not really belong here, it's not a firearm-related issue.

You'd likely get more results posting on a computer technical forum.