PDA

View Full Version : Complete Rifles

ncshooter18
03-24-16, 07:26
Decided I want to buy a complete rifle for my next AR. Leaning towards the Spikes midlength for $799 at AIM. Anything else you guys would recommend? I don't really want a 6920 because of the M4 profile and 16" carbine gas.

Tzook
03-24-16, 07:35
Do your research on here. It is probably wise to steer clear of spikes. Anything from BCM, DD, Colt, or LMT would serve you better. Hell, you'd probably be better off grabbing premium parts from PSA lol.

Renegade04
03-24-16, 07:49
Do your research on here. It is probably wise to steer clear of spikes. Anything from BCM, DD, Colt, or LMT would serve you better. Hell, you'd probably be better off grabbing premium parts from PSA lol.

Nothing wrong with Spikes Tactical ARs. That said, The PSA Freedom and Premium mid-length upper assemblies are very valid choices. DO NOT buy the PTAC brand. They also have an assortment of complete lower assemblies. You can very well snap a PSA together for less that the Spikes.

Chiral
03-24-16, 10:42
BCM blem lower for ~$300ish or a Sionics A5 lower receiver for the same amount and then shop around for a quality upper online or EE (BCM, sionics, etc). You will be in for about 800-900ish for a midlength gas AR.

Complete rifles I'd look at Sionics for a Patrol Rifle 0.

Ryno12
03-24-16, 10:47
Save up a little longer and get this.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-16-MOD0

TheNegativeOne
03-24-16, 10:53
Theres nothing wrong with Spikes, S&W, DD, Windham, Colt, Aero, PSA, BCM, Bushmaster, Dpms, Kac.......on and on. Just pick whatever you like, they all operate on the same system. Gas bleeds off, throws the bolt back and it strips a round from the mag. The design has been around for like 60yrs.

Wake27
03-24-16, 11:00
Theres nothing wrong with Spikes, S&W, DD, Windham, Colt, Aero, PSA, BCM, Bushmaster, Dpms, Kac.......on and on. Just pick whatever you like, they all operate on the same system. Gas bleeds off, throws the bolt back and it strips a round from the mag. The design has been around for like 60yrs.

False.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

masenomics
03-24-16, 11:01
I would definitely consider the Sionics or save a little more money for a BCM or Daniel Defense.

Tzook
03-24-16, 11:02

I think you're in the wrong place. Where you looking for AR15.com perhaps?

odugrad
03-24-16, 11:03

Yeah, I'm going to second Wake27 on this one. Not every rifle is created equal.

antlad
03-24-16, 11:08
I see no reason these days not to go with a complete rifle from Sionics. I've not personally bought one but have recommended friends who are 1st time ar buyers to Sionics. I'm very impressed with the quality and have personally shot each one I've recommended. Also check out what g&r has to offer. Their website is kind of janky but sell good shit for good prices:)
Or you could always buy a piece of shit dpms for $699 from a mart-store and shoot it twice a year from a bench and be happy.

bruin
03-24-16, 11:43
The Sionics Patrol Rifle Zero is almost identical to what I would assemble with any choice of parts, for a starter AR. Get the lightweight barrel, ask for a round handguard cap (to let you use Magpul SL), and pay a bit more for an A5 upgrade on the lower.

TheNegativeOne
03-24-16, 11:58
I see no reason these days not to go with a complete rifle from Sionics. I've not personally bought one but have recommended friends who are 1st time ar buyers to Sionics. I'm very impressed with the quality and have personally shot each one I've recommended. Also check out what g&r has to offer. Their website is kind of janky but sell good shit for good prices:)
Or you could always buy a piece of shit dpms for $699 from a mart-store and shoot it twice a year from a bench and be happy.

Dpms uses the di system like 99% of the other makers.

Tzook
03-24-16, 12:20

Not to be rude, but you have a pretty glaring lack of knowledge on the subject. Nobody is debating the pros or cons of DI vs piston or any other system. We're talking about brands of rifles, and yes, DPMS makes DI rifles, DI rifles that happen to be total pieces of shit.

8.8Flak
03-24-16, 12:27

The majority of automobiles on the road today use piston driven gasoline fueled engines. Using your logic their is no difference between the engine of a Skoda or F1 Ferrari. I realize the troll like nature of your posts forces you to take a contrarian view but you embarrass yourself and lose any credibility by making such sweeping, wrong, generalizations.

TheNegativeOne
03-24-16, 12:28
Not to be rude, but you have a pretty glaring lack of knowledge on the subject. Nobody is debating the pros or cons of DI vs piston or any other system. We're talking about brands of rifles, and yes, DPMS makes DI rifles, DI rifles that happen to be total pieces of shit.
The di system has been a proven system for decades.

TheChunkNorris
03-24-16, 12:34

Red herring much?

MistWolf
03-24-16, 14:05

No one has ever made a DI AR. Do your research.

I'm hearing rumors that Colt will soon be releasing a 16 inch middy

SteveL
03-24-16, 14:52
No one has ever made a DI AR. Do your research.

I'm hearing rumors that Colt will soon be releasing a 16 inch middy

Pictures of it have been popping up on Facebook for a while now. IIRC Mike Pannone has been running one. I believe it also has an ambi lower.

ETA: here's the pic and specs. According to the FB post this one is Daryl Holland's.
Daryl Holland - Colt 16" Light-Weight Mid-length Carbine

- Colt 16" LW Mid-Length Upper
- Colt prototype ambidextrous lower receiver
- Centurion Arms M-LOK rail
- Aimpoint T-2 optic
- Magpul MOE SL Carbine Stock
- Magpul M-LOK MVG Vertical Grip
- Magpul MBUS Pro Sight sights
- Magpul PMAG magazines
- Geissele SSA-E Trigger
- Arisaka Defense Light & M-LOK mount
- Arisaka Defense M-LOK Sling Mount
- Blue Force Gear Vickers Sling

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/FB_IMG_1458849316123_zpslhngkdf0.jpg

Uprange41
03-24-16, 15:01
Decided I want to buy a complete rifle for my next AR. Leaning towards the Spikes midlength for $799 at AIM. Anything else you guys would recommend? I don't really want a 6920 because of the M4 profile and 16" carbine gas.

What is your aversion to the carbine?

Renegade04
03-24-16, 15:22
False.

What is false about it other than the platform (in its current form) having been around for nearly 57 years? Every one of the AR companies he mentioned all have ARs that use the DI system. Nothing false about that.

Renegade04
03-24-16, 15:25
Yeah, I'm going to second Wake27 on this one. Not every rifle is created equal.

He said nothing about every AR being created equal. He referred only to the gas operating system as being in common between all of them.

jstalford
03-24-16, 15:26
Theres nothing wrong with Spikes, S&W, DD, Windham, Colt, Aero, PSA, BCM, Bushmaster, Dpms, Kac.......

False.

What is false about it other than the platform (in its current form) having been around for nearly 57 years? Every one of the AR companies he mentioned all have ARs that use the DI system. Nothing false about that.

Bold is what he's talking about.

Iraqgunz
03-24-16, 15:27
Please stop spreading nonsense like this. Not all AR's are made the same. This has been beat to death thousands of times.

Iraqgunz
03-24-16, 15:30
Please go back and re-read his comment. The way he formulates the response would lead people to believe that all of those brands are the same. When more than a few people read it and draw the same conclusion, it's called a clue.

He said nothing about every AR being created equal. He referred only to the gas operating system as being in common between all of them.

Renegade04
03-24-16, 15:38
Bold is what he's talking about.

It is all subjective.

jstalford
03-24-16, 15:40
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. Merely pointing out what he is talking about.

Renegade04
03-24-16, 15:42
Please go back and re-read his comment. The way he formulates the response would lead people to believe that all of those brands are the same. When more than a few people read it and draw the same conclusion, it's called a clue.

It does nothing of the sort. It is how someone interprets it in their own mind. We have so many biased people on this forum that would think as you mentioned. They try to read into something that is not there.

MegademiC
03-24-16, 15:55
It does nothing of the sort. It is how someone interprets it in their own mind. We have so many biased people on this forum that would think as you mentioned. They try to read into something that is not there.

I would argue what is "wrong" with them is that they are similar to identical in price, but some have much less qc or use sub-par materials.

He may not have said it, but by quaoting, it insinuates a response. At face value, his "response " was irrelevant unless insinuating more. It's a troll-style post.

Iraqgunz
03-24-16, 15:59
Not really subjective at all. The issues and failures are very well known unless you ignore the patterns.

It is all subjective.

HKGuns
03-24-16, 16:55

Deleted. You aren't going to drag me into this one. His intentions were clear.

ncshooter18
03-24-16, 17:34
Save up a little longer and get this.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-16-MOD0

I already have a 16" LW BCM middy upper on an Aero lower, and I'm looking to keep this rifle under around $900.

What is wrong with Spikes? I know DPMS/Bushmaster etc are shit but all the specs and stuff I've read about the Spikes look GTG.

Dionysusigma
03-24-16, 18:28
If you want a midlength that's all one company, I'd suggest an Aero Precision AC-15 Midlength (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ac-15-5-56mm-16-mid-length-rifle-prod82606.aspx) ($600, and the route I'd personally take if I wanted another midlength) or a PSA Kit (http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html) on a blem lower (http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-blemished-safe-fire-lower.html) ($670, and half an hour).

Spikes has a lot of issues with materials, QC, and customer support, and their image seems to be the "TapOut" or "Affliction" of the AR industry. These and other reasons are why everyone's so against your inclination. I'm with you on why you don't want a 6920, though - carbine gas on a 16" barrel is obsolete.

peashooter76
03-24-16, 19:01
Pictures of it have been popping up on Facebook for a while now. IIRC Mike Pannone has been running one. I believe it also has an ambi lower.

ETA: here's the pic and specs. According to the FB post this one is Daryl Holland's.
Daryl Holland - Colt 16" Light-Weight Mid-length Carbine

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo98/fireman325/FB_IMG_1458849316123_zpslhngkdf0.jpg
Is there an eta on this, or any updates?

SteveL
03-24-16, 19:31
Is there an eta on this, or any updates?

I've seen no mention of a release date so far. Just the occasional post on FB.

Tigereye
03-24-16, 20:05
Based on my reading, I don't have a Spikes. But, I do have this http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/patrol/11-patrol-rifle-zero-upper.html
The patrol zero upper with a Sionics lower is a great setup and well within your budget. Ordering the upper and lower separately saves some taxes. I've been very pleased with this rifle.

titsonritz
03-24-16, 20:26
Based on my reading, I don't have a Spikes. But, I do have this http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/patrol/11-patrol-rifle-zero-upper.html
The patrol zero upper with a Sionics lower is a great setup and well within your budget. Ordering the upper and lower separately saves some taxes. I've been very pleased with this rifle.
^^^$490 + $320 SIONICS A5 Lower Receiver Assembly (http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/sionics-a5-lower-receiver-assembly/72-patrol-rifle-zero.html) = $810
add a Magpul SL M-LOK hand guard and stock of choice +/- $90
for a total cost of about $900 would be vastly superior to the Spikes mention in the OP.

MegademiC
03-25-16, 10:26
^^^$490 + $320 SIONICS A5 Lower Receiver Assembly (http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/sionics-a5-lower-receiver-assembly/72-patrol-rifle-zero.html) = $810
add a Magpul SL M-LOK hand guard and stock of choice +/- $90
for a total cost of about $900 would be vastly superior to the Spikes mention in the OP.

That looks like an awesome value.

peashooter76
03-25-16, 10:48
Is the A5 lower compatible with any mil-spec stock?

masenomics
03-25-16, 10:51

Diameter yes, length not necessarily.

SteveL
03-25-16, 12:15

Any mil-spec stock will work on it, but the shorter ones won't collapse down to the shortest position. You can run them from the second position out. It's generally not recommended to run your stock that short anyway so IMO it's a non-issue.