PDA

View Full Version : Geissele rail, mk4 or mk8?

Pappabear
03-24-16, 09:56
What's the diff of MK4 vs MK8 rail? I'm going to grab one of these to keep my upgrade simple.
Thanks
PB

SteveL
03-24-16, 10:03
The Mk4 has short picatinny sections at the end of the rail at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. The Mk8 does not.

Lopro619
03-24-16, 10:04
I would go with the mk8 and ditch the built in rail sections.

556BlackRifle
03-24-16, 10:13
I would go with the mk8 and ditch the built in rail sections.

Agreed. This would be my choice as well.

BH321
03-24-16, 10:35
I agree with LoPro and 556, the MK8 would be my choice as well. I believe it is also slightly lighter as well.

Chuc
03-25-16, 17:20
I really like the Mk4 due to the 3 small rail sections. I have a bipod on the bottom section. The other two would be ideal for lights.

Pappabear
03-25-16, 17:41
I bought the desert dirt mk4 from primary arms sale. I do often run a bipod and light, so the rails appeal to me.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

TXBK
03-25-16, 19:38
I bought the desert dirt mk4 from primary arms sale. I do often run a bipod and light, so the rails appeal to me.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

You probably made a wise choice if you run a bipod, often. Running a bipod, is where the built in pic rails really make a difference. Most people run a light, but there are some good lights out there for M-Lok. A WML doesn't have the affect on a mount like a bipod does.

titsonritz
03-25-16, 21:08
I agree with LoPro and 556, the MK8 would be my choice as well. I believe it is also slightly lighter as well.

I like the MK8 for the 7" and 9.5" but...

I really like the Mk4 due to the 3 small rail sections. I have a bipod on the bottom section. The other two would be ideal for lights.

but I prefer the MK4 for the 13" and especially the 15", much to do with bipod use.

JG007
03-26-16, 00:49
First I'd try to get an mk1 used, their best rail ever.

But I like the mk4 (since the mk3s don't seem available as a backup), kind of a URX3 design

But may be worth waiting, Bill geissele said they were releasing the mk9 after shot show and that "it will even be cooler than the mk1"

Pappabear
03-26-16, 05:30
First I'd try to get an mk1 used, their best rail ever.

But I like the mk4 (since the mk3s don't seem available as a backup), kind of a URX3 design

But may be worth waiting, Bill geissele said they were releasing the mk9 after shot show and that "it will even be cooler than the mk1"

I think have all their first rails they made. Why do you like the mk1? I was interested n shaving a bit of weight.

JG007
03-26-16, 05:57
I think have all their first rails they made. Why do you like the mk1? I was interested n shaving a bit of weight.

The 1 (and 3 if I recall) have the 3d contouring so it should feel better, the 1 has the internal steel inserts to mount rail sections (then again I don't have anything mounted) but they said they were too much labor to produce, mainly the steel inserts, and stopped making them except for the hk. I have been waiting to see the mk9 since the announcement

JG007
03-26-16, 10:02
Both are 20%off in DDC at primary arms

Jwknutson17
03-26-16, 10:08
I'll second the Mk1 and Mk3 rails. By far my favorite Geissele rails. Little bit slimmer then the the others and feel much better in my hand. Have run all of the past and current Geissele offerings. Still, by far, my favorites are the MK1 and 3s. They are hard to find. And when they come up, they usually demand a premium.

titsonritz
03-26-16, 14:08
I'll second the Mk1 and Mk3 rails. By far my favorite Geissele rails. Little bit slimmer then the the others and feel much better in my hand. Have run all of the past and current Geissele offerings. Still, by far, my favorites are the MK1 and 3s. They are hard to find. And when they come up, they usually demand a premium.

Actually they are all over the place, they're just not cheap.

nj0ywatch1np0rn
03-29-16, 11:27
Use mainly MK8 for the slim profile and just use magpul mlok rail sections for bipods and such.

Randyjangles
03-29-16, 11:53
Both are 20%off in DDC at primary arms

Thanks a lot bought a 13" mk8 ddc

Pappabear
03-29-16, 13:22
I just got mine in. The 3-6-9 pic rails are done perfectly. They are blended into the rail system with such finesse they don't bother you or stick out at all. So, if you do not use them, you don't notice them. After getting the rail, I would strongly suggest the mk4 over the 8. I was doubtful but after seeing and holding it, I am very happy Iraqgunz hit me up and said go MK4.

Its not like the earlier gen rails where the pic stands on top of the rail, perfect blend mi amigos. But to each his own. thanks guys.

PB

STF
04-17-16, 18:32
Glad go hear you like yours. These Geissele rails are looking sweet and might tempt me away from the RIS II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novak
04-17-16, 23:17
I run a Harris bipod, and I'd rather go with the Magpul M-LOK Bipod Mount than a picatinny adapter. That, and the fact that Arisaka makes bad*ss M-LOK light mounts, means that I've been considering the MK8 instead of the MK4. My problem is that I'm not sold on its ergonomics. I've been tempted to buy one, but I've been holding out hope that the "MK9" (...of which I've heard nothing official. Was there an announcement or is all of the MK9 talk speculation?) will be profiled like a MK1 or MK3. I have been tempted to buy a MK1 or MK3, but I'd rather have M-LOK attachments than bolt-on rail sections...

556BlackRifle
04-18-16, 00:29
I run a Harris bipod, and I'd rather go with the Magpul M-LOK Bipod Mount than a picatinny adapter. That, and the fact that Arisaka makes bad*ss M-LOK light mounts, means that I've been considering the MK8 instead of the MK4. My problem is that I'm not sold on its ergonomics. I've been tempted to buy one, but I've been holding out hope that the "MK9" (...of which I've heard nothing official. Was there an announcement or is all of the MK9 talk speculation?) will be profiled like a MK1 or MK3. I have been tempted to buy a MK1 or MK3, but I'd rather have M-LOK attachments than bolt-on rail sections...

I've been using Picatinny mounts for some of my bipods but just got my first M-Lok so I picked up a Magpul bipod mount. Holy crap, that thing is ROCK SOLID. I have an MK8 on it's way to me and will get another for that one as well. I'm also a huge fan of Arisaka mounts and plan to go with their hand stop and light mounts.

Pappabear
04-18-16, 09:17
I just ordered a m lok arisaka finger stop to put in front of my atlas. Very happy with look and feel of mrk 4 with built in pic rails. Sighted in my ACOG yesterday. Nice rig.

PB

JohnnyRambo
05-05-16, 22:39
You can't go wrong with either one. One has built on 3/6/9 rails and the other has auxillary and can accept aftermarket as well.