PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an inexpensive but good 9mm

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 10:32
My girlfriend is bitten by the 9mm bug.

I've let her shoot my Glocks and she's hooked, but may not quite have the cash for a Glock.

Is there a "second tier" 9mm handgun that is good, and reliable, but may just miss Glock quality in the $300-400 range?

I know I may be dreaming on this, but I'm trying to help the girl out!

Jesse H
03-24-16, 10:37
Ruger P series. Heavy and ugly but I've got one that runs like a top.

So basically it's like a heavy Glock.

VIP3R 237
03-24-16, 10:39
Cannik TP9 is an excellent handgun

Tzook
03-24-16, 10:40
Cannik TP9 is an excellent handgun

That was going to be my suggestion. Hell of a pistol for the money. I'd still never pick one if I could pick Glock, but can't beat it on a budget.

brickboy240
03-24-16, 10:43
That Canik or maybe you could score a lightly used Steyr MA-1?

I say the Steyr, because my cousin just bought a really clean used 9mm Steyr from a gun shop and we ran several boxes through the thing last weekend. For 300 bucks cash OTD, he got a really sweet shooting 9mm that is very reliable and pretty accurate.

okie john
03-24-16, 10:46
The Smith SD9 VE is usually available for under $300 new.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_811049_-1_757962_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Okie John

Chiral
03-24-16, 10:47
You can pick up an M&P9 (compact or full) for about $379ish online. The shield sells for $349ish aFAIK .

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 10:48

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_811049_-1_757962_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Okie John

How's the reliability on that one? I remember reading gripes on the Shield and M&P that made me want to steer away from Smith.

Arik
03-24-16, 10:48
How about a USED Glock!?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Magsz
03-24-16, 10:53
Arik hit the nail on the head.

There are used gen 2 and 3 glocks that pop up from time to time in the mid 300 dollar range. I would wait for one of those.

The Ruger American is also a nice option at a good price point but there are no long term reports for that particular pistol yet.

Jacob1
03-24-16, 11:00
The ruger sr9 I have has never once failed. It feels like holding a board but it's reliable.

ramairthree
03-24-16, 11:01
How much longer would it take to just save the extra 150 and buy a Glock

okie john
03-24-16, 11:05
How's the reliability on that one? I remember reading gripes on the Shield and M&P that made me want to steer away from Smith.

Some folks on another forum have run the 2k Round Challenge and not had problems.

Okie John

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 11:06

Well, her birthday is in April. I may not have that much time left. I plan on paying for the pistol at the shop and having her do the 4473. Kind of like "got a surprise for you Honey. Come with me to the gun shop."

SomeOtherGuy
03-24-16, 11:11
Anything Ruger, used Glock, Canik TP9, Steyr M9 if you can find that sweet of a deal on one.

Well, her birthday is in April. I may not have that much time left. I plan on paying for the pistol at the shop and having her do the 4473. Kind of like "got a surprise for you Honey. Come with me to the gun shop."

Your intentions are good but this route might actually be iffy on the legal side, as it looks like a straw purchase even though I assume it's meant as a gift. Unless your state law requires handgun registration, you could legally buy the pistol yourself and give it to her as a gift. You pay for it and complete the 4473 in your name, and you are the real purchaser. There is ATF guidance confirming that this is correct and legal, in the ATF's view, when you are giving a gift.

NinjaLoader
03-24-16, 12:07
The ruger sr9 I have has never once failed. It feels like holding a board but it's reliable.

This..

NinjaLoader
03-24-16, 12:07

And this..

Auto-X Fil
03-24-16, 12:27
Walther PPS. I paid under $400 OTD for mine. Best deal in handguns right now. If you haven't shot one, you will be amazed how easy it is to shoot for how well it conceals.

We have had at least a dozen people try all our 9mm guns, and only the PPQ and VP9 reliably shoot well for as many people. Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, etc are all hit-or-miss.

OhioFinance
03-24-16, 12:48
The S&W SD9 is a pretty solid gun for $300. An Apex spring kit and its decent. That said, the PPS suggestion is really good. Its a $600 gun being sold for $365 right now. The quality on the PPS is head and shoulders above the other "budget" suggestions.

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 13:20
Your intentions are good but this route might actually be iffy on the legal side, as it looks like a straw purchase even though I assume it's meant as a gift. Unless your state law requires handgun registration, you could legally buy the pistol yourself and give it to her as a gift. You pay for it and complete the 4473 in your name, and you are the real purchaser. There is ATF guidance confirming that this is correct and legal, in the ATF's view, when you are giving a gift.

Rest assured, I'll make sure everything is on the up and up. I figured if I paid for it and she walked in to the dealer and filled out the 4473 in her name it would all be good to go, but I fully intend to make sure everything is legal before I proceed.

MegademiC
03-24-16, 16:07

It's good in my limited experience. Trigger is tough, but apex has a fix. M&p never had reliability issues from what I read, just accuracy issues with the 9.

That said, if she likes the glock, I'd get a used one.

jstalford
03-24-16, 16:16
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19Gen3&name=Glock+19+9mm+Pistol+Gen+3+w%2f+Night+Sights+Used+with+15rd+mag&search=glock

http://orig05.deviantart.net/7239/f/2015/181/f/9/arnold_schwarzenegger_do_it_now_meme_by_therealmdgaming-d8zfbn4.jpg

ColtSeavers
03-24-16, 16:17
Rest assured, I'll make sure everything is on the up and up. I figured if I paid for it and she walked in to the dealer and filled out the 4473 in her name it would all be good to go, but I fully intend to make sure everything is legal before I proceed.

I would definately suggest looking into this more. I do not mean to alarm, just would like to convey that when my wife wants another gun, we go to the store to get whatever she wants, she fills out the 4473, I pay (because I refuse to allow her to pay for firearms, ammo, bathing suits and lingerie), and we always get asked if we are married, which we gladly show our driver's licenses to prove.

I would suggest giving her the money as her birthday present, and if you both happen to be at the funstore, and she happens to buy her own gun with her money, then that's her all the way.

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 16:18
I would definately suggest looking into this more. I do not mean to alarm, just would like to convey that when my wife wants another gun, we go to the store to get whatever she wants, she fills out the 4473, I pay (because I refuse to allow her to pay for firearms, ammo, bathing suits and lingerie), and we always get asked if we are married, which we gladly show our driver's licenses to prove.

I would suggest giving her the money as her birthday present, and if you both happen to be at the funstore, and she happens to buy her own gun with her money, then that's her all the way.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the ATF doesn't care whose money is used as long as the actual new owner is the one filling out the form, since it's a form of registration.

ColtSeavers
03-24-16, 17:26
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the ATF doesn't care whose money is used as long as the actual new owner is the one filling out the form, since it's a form of registration.

You are probably right, just something that we've been asked and has stuck with me. Looking at 7743, it doesn't actually address this specific scenario at all.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/Screenshot_2016-03-24-15-23-43_zpssq2c6hbv.png

Apologies for the tangent.

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 17:33
You are probably right, just something that we've been asked and has stuck with me. Looking at 7743, it doesn't actually address this specific scenario at all.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/Screenshot_2016-03-24-15-23-43_zpssq2c6hbv.png

Apologies for the tangent.

So by that write-up, I'm good to go paying for it, filling out the form, and wrapping it up as a present. Or at least that's the way I see it.

WatchTheWorldBern
03-24-16, 17:46
So by that write-up, I'm good to go paying for it, filling out the form, and wrapping it up as a present. Or at least that's the way I see it.
As long as the recipient of the gift is a resident of your state and your state doesn't have any additional restrictions on transfers, yes.

Doc Safari
03-24-16, 17:48
That shop just happened to have a Glock 17 Gen 4, and it WOULD be good for us to be able to use the same magazines.... :dirol:

williejc
03-24-16, 18:19
I have a Canik 100 CZ 9mm clone that shoots better than my two CZs. Canik claims to be a NATO approved manufacturer. My CZs have abundant tool marks on the inside, but the Canik does not. Academy Sports carries this line under the TriStar name(importer), and Century Arms also brings in several. You can buy one for around $350. My pistol is not a decocker but has a regular safety allowing SA/DA carry. Canik is a Turkey brand.

Dionysusigma
03-24-16, 18:32
That shop just happened to have a Glock 17 Gen 4, and it WOULD be good for us to be able to use the same magazines.... :dirol:

Boom. There's your answer.

(... unless, of course, she likes the 19 better.)

nick84
03-24-16, 22:02
I hate to threadjack, but suppose I ask this same question as OP except excluding Glock?

I have a lady friend who's looking at her first 9mm for home defense. She really likes my P30 (she loves the grip), but doesn't care much for the price tag. Not a fan of the G19. I've pretty much laid out her options, but I'd be interested to see what the committee says.

Sorry, un-threadjack.

jstalford
03-24-16, 22:07
I hate to threadjack, but suppose I ask this same question as OP except excluding Glock?

I have a lady friend who's looking at her first 9mm for home defense. She really likes my P30 (she loves the grip), but doesn't care much for the price tag. Not a fan of the G19. I've pretty much laid out her options, but I'd be interested to see what the committee says.

Sorry, un-threadjack.

If shoe loves the P30, but wants a cheaper option, VP9/PPQ are obvious answers.

Straight Shooter
03-24-16, 22:22
My girl got a Walther PPX...we like it a lot.

Sikiguya
03-24-16, 22:37
Just spend the extra hundred....and get what she wants.

HCM
03-25-16, 00:37

From a federal law POV, the prior advice about your plan appearing to be a straw purchase is correct.

A 4473 is not a form of registration. You can buy a gun and decide to sell it or give it away immediately thereafter as long as you do not knowingly sell or give it to a prohibited person.

Please see: https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/how-does-person-register-firearm-or-remove-name-firearms-registration

If you are buying the gun with YOUR money to give as a gift you ARE the actual purchaser as long as you are not doing it to provide the gun to someone you know is a prohibited person

Please see the example on page 4 of the Form 4473 in the the instructions for Question 11a:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

See also:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Not sure what state you are in, so your state law may complicate things. In that case, a gift card/certificate for teh cost of the gun might be the way to go.

ohsheepdog
03-25-16, 00:38
FNH FNS9. Great ergonomics, good trigger, great sights, accurate, 100% reliable & 3 high cap mags included. With nights sights for around $400 & well under $400 with regular sights. Mine's my EDC

HCM
03-25-16, 00:44
Re the gun itself,

Buy once / cry once. Get her what she wants. Go used or PD trade in on the Glock if you need to.

The S&W SD 9 is not bad for the money, it takes M&P sights and there is an Apex trigger kit but that brings you back up to the price point of the Glock.

Not sure if you are are aware but GSSF members can be eligible for Glock Blue label pricing.

http://www.gssfonline.com/gssf_pistol_purchase_program_information.pdf

Hot Sauce
03-25-16, 01:02

How much are you paying for ammo? Just a few boxes worth and you're already at the difference between the Glock you already like and a budget gun. Do you have holsters for other guns? Get ready to drop some change on that.

That's to say nothing about the costs of a different set of magazines.

You'd quickly that you're not saving very much by getting a budget gun, even if it shoots well and is a quality instrument.

quackhead
03-25-16, 02:36
Get her the Glock- may be more money upfront. You'll be happy you did

K1tt3n5
03-25-16, 02:47
Buy her the glock she wants you schmuck!

Doc Safari
03-25-16, 09:10
If you are buying the gun with YOUR money to give as a gift you ARE the actual purchaser as long as you are not doing it to provide the gun to someone you know is a prohibited person

Please see the example on page 4 of the Form 4473 in the the instructions for Question 11a:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

Gift it is, then.

Doc Safari
03-25-16, 09:55

Okie John

I looked at one of these and it seems like a nice pistol. What turned me off was when the dealer told me spare mags are around $40 each.

MegademiC
03-25-16, 10:33
I looked at one of these and it seems like a nice pistol. What turned me off was when the dealer told me spare mags are around $40 each.

Ouch. Sounds like glock.

SIGguy229
03-25-16, 10:49

This is the correct answer.

WillBrink
03-25-16, 11:28
My girlfriend is bitten by the 9mm bug.

I've let her shoot my Glocks and she's hooked, but may not quite have the cash for a Glock.

Is there a "second tier" 9mm handgun that is good, and reliable, but may just miss Glock quality in the $300-400 range?

I know I may be dreaming on this, but I'm trying to help the girl out!

What about a used Glock? PDs and such often dump a ton of them on the market. Local store I go to is full of used Glocks usually with very low rnd counts on them. If she likes them and you do, would seem a good logical option no?

Firefly
03-25-16, 11:34
There are literally oodles of second hand Glocks out there and Glock stands by their product.

That or join GSSF. You can(or could unless they changed it) get Blue Label Glocks for being a member plus they send you a yearly copy of Glock Pravda, some stickers, etc.

I'd just wait until I got something decent instead of something she'll dislike or won't acclimate to.

Rogue556
03-25-16, 11:38
I say save up and get her the Glock if she seems to really like it. If she's open to others I'd have her shoot an M&P Shield and see if she likes it. Grant has them for $350 last I checked. Add in the FFL fee and tax and thats right at the price point of $400 out the door. With the extra $150-$200 that you saved you could buy extra mags, a holster, and ammo. Also gives her a gun that's easy to conceal should she ever want to carry.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

JC5188
03-25-16, 14:51

I don't think that's right. I believe it comes down to who actually buys it.

Found this....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-upholds-federal-ban-on-straw-purchases-of-guns-1402932979

I'd go for the PPS or the Smith with that budget.

ETA...

Straw purchase was already definitively answered. I'll leave the link as info.

09fatbob
03-25-16, 15:29
Used glock

GNXII
03-25-16, 16:02
Cruise the LGS and your bound to find used Glocks in any generation. Again, shop around online and you can find OEM Glock mags for $19 -25. Its the same thing with S&W M&Ps, there around you just have to look.I found a LNIB G22 Gen 4 that a guy traded in for his first 1911, picked up some mags online and I'm GTG. I'd avoid obscure or no longer in production models. They might have low resale value, no aftermarket support and perhaps unknown in longevity/ long term usage.No one wants an orphan gun.The big players ( Glock, S&W, Ruger, etc.) are always around and the logistical and aftermarket support is there too even for some of there discontinued models. Try and standardize but its whatever caliber / size that SHES comfortable with. Try to not lose focus on that. Good luck & enjoy!

ohsheepdog
03-25-16, 16:04
Don't know where you're located, but I guarantee there is a Glock armorer or two within a reasonable distance from you that is on this forum. If you were near me I would take the gun that you bought, go over every single part, replace the parts for you and have it back to you as good as new.

m4brian
03-25-16, 16:58
If you look hard, you might nail a SIG SP 2022 for less than $450. Quality of build, total reliability, tack driving accuracy, lighter than a SIG P series, and if you can get LEO, under $430 with 3 mags and Siglites. Not the prettiest gun, but rock solid.

Turnkey11
03-26-16, 00:09
Watch Aim Surplus, they usually have police trade in Glock 17s and 19s in your price range. There is nothing above or below your price range that I would recommend over those two firearms.

GregP220
03-26-16, 09:52

Sorry, un-threadjack.

FN FNX-9, Sig SP 2022 or CZ P-07 or P-09.

RHINOWSO
03-26-16, 16:17
Skip Starbucks and fastfood, eat ramin noodles for a month then get a used Glock 19.

Outside of Glock, I'd look at SIG P320 Compact and SP2022. If it has to carried by a petite woman, look at the Walther PPS 9MM. At $400, it's a heck of a handgun.

bear13
03-26-16, 18:03
Just bought a new p07 with night sights. 460$ out the door. Shoot it better then I did my Glock/fns/xd/vp9. Very impressed with it.

Joelski
03-26-16, 18:24
If possible, let her try a M&P Shield. The bigness of even a mid-size G19 will wear down the shine in a short time unless she really gets the shooting bug. You want her to carry it and shoot it, or shoot it and leave it at home?

Bimmer
03-27-16, 06:33
How much are you paying for ammo? Just a few boxes worth and you're already at the difference between the Glock you already like and a budget gun.

Do you have holsters for other guns? Get ready to drop some change on that.

That's to say nothing about the costs of a different set of magazines...

Isn't this obvious?!

You're not buying her a gun, you're buying her a system. If you're a Glock fan (safe to assume, given your pseudonym here), then be happy she likes Glocks and just get her one.

It would cost you a lot MORE to buy different magazines, spare parts, sights, holsters, etc. etc. etc. for a different gun, and then you'll have the headache of parts/mags/accessories not being interchangeable. Why in the world would you do that to yourselves?!

treecop
03-27-16, 08:38
Buy once cry once. If you end up married, she'll take your g19 anyhow.
GLOCK 9's are probably going to get scarce and more expensive the closer we get to election time.
Be glad she didn't take a liking to a Sig classic or HK.

Bimmer
03-27-16, 08:40
If you end up married, she'll take your g19 anyhow.

Alternatively, if you break up, and the gun is registered in your name (see above), then you could demand that she give it back...

S. Kelly
03-27-16, 12:14
Just go and get a used Glock 19.

Jpoe88
03-27-16, 13:54
I am at the Glock or nothing point in my handgun career. Of all the guns, I have sold them off and bought a new G19. If I had to pick a full size based off of money alone, it would be an SD9VE. Similar takedown to a glock. They do have aftermarket support as well.

mkmckinley
03-27-16, 14:11
I found the M&P compact to be a good size for someone who'd only have one gun that they carry and occasionally go to the range. My wife thinks a G19 is way too big to CC but the G43 sized guns aren't as fun/confidence-building as something like an M&P9C.

Jpoe88
03-27-16, 15:26
My friends M&P 9 had an OBD which was nearly catastrophic. In short, he called S&W for the ejector, roll pin and spring and they gladly sent it free to him. One piece at a time. Probaly 12 bucks shipping each package. Took 4 weeks total. That alone would send me to the moon. Sorry for the rant but I know I said a SD9VE, but id say a used LE trade in Glock.

tplee05
03-27-16, 19:13
I have the full-size M&P. 40 and the 9mm Shield. Love them both. The Shield can be had at my local Exchange for $325 OTD (most of the M&P line have a military and LE discount). Having said that, my wife hates shooting the Shield. Being a subcompact, the slide is harder to pull and lock open, and just all-around harder to handle than a full frame. Unless she's a serious shooter, I'd stay away from the subcompacts in general.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

maestromsv
03-27-16, 19:35
I've got a Glock 17 (g3), the wife is getting a Glock 26 (g4) on Mothers day....with a rose in the barrel......minus ammo, until the new wear off!

deleteyourselph
04-03-16, 18:34
CZ or used Glock

thetonk
05-05-16, 16:58
Ruger sr9e.

09fatbob
05-05-16, 17:17
Hi point ain't pretty but runs, also can be used as a tire block, brick, hammer, etc

Doc Safari
05-05-16, 17:20
Hi point ain't pretty but runs, also can be used as a tire block, brick, hammer, etc

"Ain't pretty"? I would describe it as someone ate some plastic and metal and shit it out.

My dad had one. He hated it. When he died I found it tossed into a five-gallon bucket in the garage. It was so rusted you'd swear it must have been a discarded child's toy.

Good suggestions, everybody (except the Hi Point--you must be joking :D).

09fatbob
05-05-16, 17:24
U must've missed the "cheap" part of his question lol I don't own one but they do work !! I've seen that

KTR03
05-05-16, 17:53
So you are looking to buy a second rate piece of emergency equipment for a woman that you love? Here's a thought give her your Glock and then save up for a new one for yourself. You re lucky that your girlfriend wants a Glock and wants to shoot it. Don't cheap out and get her substandard gear.

Doc Safari
05-05-16, 17:58
So you are looking to buy a second rate piece of emergency equipment for a woman that you love? Here's a thought give her your Glock and then save up for a new one for yourself. You re lucky that your girlfriend wants a Glock and wants to shoot it. Don't cheap out and get her substandard gear.

LOL. Buddy take a chill pill. I just don't want to spend a couple grand on something.

KTR03
05-05-16, 18:01
Who said anything about a couple of grand? I thought you didn't want to get a 499 dollar GLOCK because it was too much money. If I misunderstood , I apologize.

09fatbob
05-05-16, 18:16
Find a police trade, avoid the up tight. Glock 23, 260$ some places yeah its a .40 go to lone wolf conversion barrel 100ish$ your good to go

thetonk
05-05-16, 18:39

I'm actually using one as a boat anchor this year

WillBrink
05-05-16, 19:07
I'm actually using one as a boat anchor this year

My condolences. They make chit boat anchors too. Paper weights are ok though.

Doc Safari
05-06-16, 09:20
Who said anything about a couple of grand? I thought you didn't want to get a 499 dollar GLOCK because it was too much money. If I misunderstood , I apologize.

No, I wanted to preclude the inevitable posts where people suggest the three-thousand-dollar BCM 9mm or something else high dollar. As a matter of fact, I got her a Glock 17.

Qwikrex
05-06-16, 09:56
Really can't go wrong with a glock.

HeruMew
05-06-16, 09:58
My condolences. They make chit boat anchors too. Paper weights are ok though.

He must be using one of the larger framed hipoints. The JCP or JHP should suffice for up to a 12 footer. ;)

Congrats on the choice of a G17 as well. :)

tplee05
05-06-16, 12:45
No, I wanted to preclude the inevitable posts where people suggest the three-thousand-dollar BCM 9mm or something else high dollar. As a matter of fact, I got her a Glock 17.
That BCM 1911 tho...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

maestromsv
05-20-16, 19:57
Can't go wrong with a Glock 17

tacticaldesire
05-20-16, 22:40
The Canik TP9 is a great budget 9mm if you're not one of those people that refuse to buy anything from Turkey.

M4Eagle
05-21-16, 18:33
If she wants excellent conceal carry 9 at a very good price... The S&W Shield is hard to beat. They can be found new for $350-$380 with a little searching... Great great accurate easy to conceal firearm , selling a million other as more n more people find out about this fantastic Glock alternative

Kdubya
05-21-16, 22:24
If she wants excellent conceal carry 9 at a very good price... The S&W Shield is hard to beat. They can be found new for $350-$380 with a little searching... Great great accurate easy to conceal firearm , selling a million other as more n more people find out about this fantastic Glock alternative

I agree. In fact, PSA had them for $329 this past week. Second time I've seen that particular sale over the past few months. Normal price is $349 which is still a great deal.

Doc Safari
12-20-16, 10:35
Bumping to the top for droolage:

Kimber Micro 9

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/micro-9

I just saw a segment on this featured on one of the gun-related shows. I don't know anything about it other than the fact it hasn't been out long. I tried looking for a street price but Davidsons doesn't have it.

This site gives an MSRP of around $650.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shot-show-2016/new-kimber-products-for-2016/

I owned a Kimber 45 once. The feed ramp looked like drunk monkeys machined it, but it shot reliably with ball ammo for IDPA matches. I sort of followed the rollercoaster of Kimber quality over the years. Not sure if they're in the GTG category or " a must to avoid" now.

Anyway, it's a smallish pistol, and it IS a 9mm, which I require.

I'm going to keep reading reviews on this.

Arik
12-20-16, 10:58
No personal experience with one but I see a lot of them being returned at the LGS. They usually have one or two in trade. People have problems, send them in, when returned they trade em

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pilot1
12-20-16, 11:04
She's better than plastic. A Canik/Tristar CZ-75 clone, or better yet a used CZ-75.

Doc Safari
12-20-16, 12:39
So my LGS has a black Ruger LC9S Pro (for me?) and an aqua blue one for her (2017 birthday)?

Anyway, I'll go look at them this afternoon....

I already have Glocks, and I got her a Glock for 2016.

One factor is I'd kind of like my carry 9 to be "expendable", i.e. didn't spend the price of a Les Baer custom for it. My LGS has the LC9S Pro for $50 off his regular price (Christmas sale).

Unless you guys tell me it's a piece of junk in the next half hour, I may have one the next time I post here (heading to town in about 30 minutes).

Buckaroo
12-20-16, 12:44
I'd find a way to try some options before you buy. Shield gets my recommendation. Have 3 in our family...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
12-20-16, 12:49
I'd find a way to try some options before you buy. Shield gets my recommendation. Have 3 in our family...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Believe me, I have:

Shield
Glock 26
Glock 43
Ruger LC9S Pro
Kimber Micro 9mm
Buy my GF's Glock 42

Etc.....

ralph
12-20-16, 15:57
While I have'nt read all 10 pages, how about a CZ P-10? The suggested MSRP is $500 so the street price should be around $425-450, and she'll get a top tier pistol, that should require nothing but possibly better sights. And, since they use g19 holsters, getting a holster for it should'nt be a problem.

Slater
12-20-16, 16:14
I'll second the Canik. Hell, it takes down Russian ambassadors like nobody's business.

jbdesigns
12-20-16, 21:25
Go to your good lgs and look at the used pistols. Nothing wrong buying used. Better value and she will never shoot it enough to wear it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
12-20-16, 23:29
So, I traveled to my LGS and my buddy had sold the Ruger already.

Later, my girlfriend and I drove to Sportsman's Warehouse just because they have a lot of handguns, and we looked at several.

I kind of decided against the Ruger: the slim grip just doesn't appeal to me although it's hand-filling.

I REALLY liked the small size of the Kimber Micro 9 stainless. I probably would use it with finger-extension mags if I buy it, but I liked the all-metal frame, single action trigger, and the fact that it actually had a half-cock notch on the hammer. Some 1911's I handled years ago had done away with an actual half-cock option on the hammer (Springfield?).

I also liked the Glock 43 better than the Glock 26 for grip.

For those that don't know: I have pretty stubby fingers and carpal tunnel in both wrists. If I can't wrap my hand pretty securely I will have some trouble controlling the gun.

Hence, I tend to like full-sized grips like the Glock 17. But I will say that I liked the grip of the Kimber and the Glock 43. I might warm up to the Ruger at some point, but it just didn't impress me in the gun shop.

556BlackRifle
12-21-16, 01:30
This is an old photo of my S&W 3913 single stack 9mm. It's a great pistol for the money. They can be found in the low to mid $200 range and are a steal at that price. My wife loves it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/IMG_3919_1.jpg

And once mastered, it's a damn good shooter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/Shots-Fired.jpg