PDA

View Full Version : Chest rig comparison shopping

tacoops
03-24-16, 11:12
I'm looking to get a chest rig that I can use with my Mayflower APC. My three choices right now are

LBX Tactical Assaulters Panel: pros, seems to be low profile, like the modularity of the taco pouches, and lower price
cons, not sure if it integrates with the APC, the tacos can sometimes be a pain to get stuff into in a hurry or on the move

Mayflower UW: pros, integrates with the APC, confident in the quality
cons, seems to be bulky with a lot of stuff I really wouldn't need, price

Haley D3CR: pros, integrates with the APC, seems to be well thought out with out too much bulk
cons, price

These are just my opinions if you have experience with these I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Also, I'm just a civi and will be using this for training classes and range work.

Thanks

rfairman
03-24-16, 11:26
I'm looking to do the same thing I'll be following this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellybean
03-24-16, 22:50
First, have you perused this thread? It may help give you some ideas;
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?155209-Chest-Rig-101-Introduction-to-the-Art-of-the-Chest-Rig

Second- you mention price, but I'm not sure spending $140 for a dedicated panel like the LBX is as good as value as dishing out a little more and getting a chest rig you can run BOTH ways...
Further;

IMHO, the setup on the LBX panel is somewhat...generic.
However, since you've got three different options listed, what exactly do you want to carry on the panel/rig?
Just a plus-up of ammo to augment a belt line?
A fast "basic kit" with rifle/pistol mags and IFAK?
Or a "little of everything" with GP space as well as mags and medical?

On the flip side of the "multi-mode" option of a D3/UW type chest rig, a dedicated panel can give you the same QD option without any extra straps attached to the cummberbund of your PC...
Have you considered possibly building your own to your personal requirements? It won't be cheaper, but depending on your personal requirements, it may be worth the extra $$.
Some good base ideas are Velocity's MOLLE panel, and an interesting new panel from Ferro, among others.
http://www.velsyst.com/store/253/54/Molle-SwiftClip%E2%84%A2-Placard.html
http://ferroconcepts.com/collections/the-slickster/products/slickster-front-flap
I'm pretty sure there are a few 4-mag-across sized MOLLE panels out there as well, I just can't recall them off the top of my head.

Plus, if you don't like Tacos you can use whatever mag pouches you like- although even though I'm not a huge Taco fan either, I can't think of too many other mag pouches that would be much quicker to use....

Of course, since you've already got an APC, why not just skip the QD chest rig, save a little money (and put the rest into pouches for the APC... :p ) and simply run your ammo and accessories on the PC?
I don't see this adding any more weight/bulk then attaching another layer in the form of a chest rig to the PC- especially since you can use your side cummberbunds with the PC to spread the pouches around so the entire load isn't all on the front?
It's not like you're going to save any time getting the APC on or off running a QD placard/rig anyway (unless you have a removable front flap like the SCARAB, then it may save a *little* effort in the form of simply not having to rip a front flap open every time).

Which brings up a final question- aside from it being a *thing* right now, do you *need* the QD feature for the bulk of your loadout?

bruin
03-25-16, 00:43
I think Jellybean brings up some good points. Your APC should be able to handle any load for classes and range time. Are you looking for a standalone CR that can quickly attach? How many mags and extras do you need to carry? What level of bulk up front are you comfortable with? (Single/double mag, blowout kit, etc.)

trinydex
03-25-16, 10:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?155209-Chest-Rig-101-Introduction-to-the-Art-of-the-Chest-Rig

Second- you mention price, but I'm not sure spending $140 for a dedicated panel like the LBX is as good as value as dishing out a little more and getting a chest rig you can run BOTH ways...
Further;

However, since you've got three different options listed, what exactly do you want to carry on the panel/rig?

On the flip side of the "multi-mode" option of a D3/UW type chest rig, a dedicated panel can give you the same QD option without any extra straps attached to the cummberbund of your PC...
Have you considered possibly building your own to your personal requirements? It won't be cheaper, but depending on your personal requirements, it may be worth the extra $$.
Some good base ideas are Velocity's MOLLE panel, and an interesting new panel from Ferro, among others.
http://ferroconcepts.com/collections/the-slickster/products/slickster-front-flap
I'm pretty sure there are a few 4-mag-across sized MOLLE panels out there as well, I just can't recall them off the top of my head.

Plus, if you don't like Tacos you can use whatever mag pouches you like- although even though I'm not a huge Taco fan either, I can't think of too many other mag pouches that would be much quicker to use....

Of course, since you've already got an APC, why not just skip the QD chest rig, save a little money (and put the rest into pouches for the APC... :p ) and simply run your ammo and accessories on the PC?
I don't see this adding any more weight/bulk then attaching another layer in the form of a chest rig to the PC- especially since you can use your side cummberbunds with the PC to spread the pouches around so the entire load isn't all on the front?
It's not like you're going to save any time getting the APC on or off running a QD placard/rig anyway (unless you have a removable front flap like the SCARAB, then it may save a *little* effort in the form of simply not having to rip a front flap open every time).

Which brings up a final question- aside from it being a *thing* right now, do you *need* the QD feature for the bulk of your loadout?

ferro concepts seems to always be out of stock. i wish more companies would make front flaps.

Wake27
03-25-16, 13:19
Have you considered a Mayflower placard? I have their Pusher rig and it comes with all kinds of pouches that you probably don't need, but the bulk is very minimal. It's kind of impressive how well it can be compressed.

trinydex
03-25-16, 13:28
Have you considered a Mayflower placard? I have their Pusher rig and it comes with all kinds of pouches that you probably don't need, but the bulk is very minimal. It's kind of impressive how well it can be compressed.

mayflower / velocity systems has their stuff worked out, they seem to be available all the time. I wanted a slick, laser cut hypalon style flap, but I'm about to just go mayflower because the wait is stupid.

tacoops
03-27-16, 10:10

Further;

You bring up some good points. I'm thinking the Haley probably would be the best value. I mainly just want to carry extra mags to supplement my belt load out and a first aid kit. Having the bulk up front is a concern so I am trying to keep it slim as possible. So I definitely wouldn't want double stacked m4 mags plus more gear. That is why I wanted the ability to remove it from the apc with out having to take the whole rig off. Thanks for the input guys.