PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an ultrasonic cleaner, please...

Bimmer
03-24-16, 14:45
Hi all,

My wife wants an ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry, eyeglasses, wristwatches, etc...

Of course, I see this as a great chance to buy one to clean gun parts, nickel-plated brass, etc.

(NB: I have a Frankford wet tumbler, and I'll be using that for brass.)

There are a zillion threads on what cleaning solution to use, but not much on what machine to buy.

I want something big enough to clean gun parts (BCGs, pistol slides, etc.), and I don't want to spend more than $100 or $150.

Should I just get the 2.5 liter from Harbor Freight? The Lyman looks like a clone of the HF machine.

I wouldn't mind paying more for something better (Hornady? RCBS?), but I don't want to pay more if they all work about the same.

markm
03-24-16, 16:27
I think that all the US cleaners in that price range are made by the same chinese company. I use mine for almost nothing anymore. I have a blotched finish on a Colt Bolt Carrier from it.

HKGuns
03-24-16, 16:35
I use this one, it works well for small gun parts and jewelry. It has a heater and is quite flexible. I wouldn't want to go back after using it on my small gun parts.

I-Sonic (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/120678-isonic-professional-ultrasonic-cleaner.html)

ace4059
03-24-16, 22:01
Find a used one at a medical/dental supply. I have a "Quala" brand medical ultrasonic cleaner. It's about $1000 new but you can get them used for a few hundred. Mines probably 20 years old and works like new. It's commercial duty and I let it run several hours at a time between batches of brass and gun parts. It doesn't have a water heater in it but after about 60 minutes of running the water is streaming. It heats that water up hot and fast.

Bimmer
03-25-16, 04:34
I use this one, it works well for small gun parts and jewelry. It has a heater and is quite flexible. I wouldn't want to go back after using it on my small gun parts.

I-Sonic (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/120678-isonic-professional-ultrasonic-cleaner.html)

The iSonic looks a lot like the one from HF, and one of their other models is apparently sold as "Joy4Less." Is there something about this machine that made it seem better than the others, or are you just happy to have an ultrasonic cleaner, period?

Anyway, yes, I plan to be really careful about putting gun parts in it. I have a Glock slide that I'm trying to strip the finish off, and this might be just the ticket. Also, I have a lot of nickel-plated brass that can't go in the wet tumbler...

HKGuns
03-25-16, 07:41
The iSonic looks a lot like the one from HF, and one of their other models is apparently sold as "Joy4Less." Is there something about this machine that made it seem better than the others, or are you just happy to have an ultrasonic cleaner, period?

Anyway, yes, I plan to be really careful about putting gun parts in it. I have a Glock slide that I'm trying to strip the finish off, and this might be just the ticket. Also, I have a lot of nickel-plated brass that can't go in the wet tumbler...

My criteria were as follows.

- Large enough to hold a reasonable amount of pistol and rifle parts
- Heater (This one has several temp settings
- Stainless tub for easy cleanup and long life
- It was available at the local BB&B
- Price was reasonable if not bottom dollar
- Removable basket
- Easily portable
- Drain plug for easy change of liquid / cleaner
- The transducer in this one is pretty powerful but I don't remember the specs that made this stand out

I don't use mine for brass so I can't speak to how it will do on brass. I'm happy to have an ultrasonic period, this one works very well.

antlad
03-25-16, 08:04
I am not impressed with the hf model. It has a tray rather than a basket and no degas feature. The hornady, although likely made in the same factory, has a full basket and the degas feature. There are a couple other desirable features on the hornady that make it more desirable for gun dewd use. I got mine through the bargain cave at cabelas for $60.

Bimmer
03-26-16, 05:36
I am not impressed with the hf model. It has a tray rather than a basket and no degas feature. The hornady, although likely made in the same factory, has a full basket and the degas feature. There are a couple other desirable features on the hornady that make it more desirable for gun dewd use. I got mine through the bargain cave at cabelas for $60.

OK, school me, please... I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner.

What's a degas feature?

What else about the Hornady is especially desireable?

Again, I don't mind paying a bit more for something better...

p7fl
03-26-16, 06:40
http://www.iultrasonic.com/
Purchased mine for cleaning HK P7s about 12 years ago. The cleaner has been totally reliable. One of the things I like is being able to call the company over the years and always get a decent intelligent person on the phone to answer questions.
It is heated and fits a 1911. Looking back I wish I had bought one for a rifle upper but they were very expensive.

antlad
03-26-16, 09:19
OK, school me, please... I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner.

What's a degas feature?

What else about the Hornady is especially desireable?

Again, I don't mind paying a bit more for something better...

The degas feature allows the trapped air bubbles to escape by simply shutting the unit off and on every second or so for a prescribed duration. Apparently the air bubbles decrease the cleaning efficiency dramatically. I'm pretty sure the hf does not do this. I think the hornady is higher wattage as well and probably more effective overall.

Ernst
03-26-16, 09:25
Hi all,

My wife wants an ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry, eyeglasses, wristwatches, etc...

Of course, I see this as a great chance to buy one to clean gun parts, nickel-plated brass, etc.

Win/win...but maybe not.

If you buy a large cleaner your wife may suggest she needs a lot more jewelry to fill it up with.

:)