PDA

View Full Version : MI G3 Lightweight ML or SLR Ion Ultra Lite M-LOK?

cdmiller
03-25-16, 01:23
I am looking at one of these two rails to adorn my next AR. If you have any experience with either (or both), I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide. The upper (and lower) will be the UIC receiver from ADM if that has any bearing on the feedback.

Thanks to all in advance.

NOTE: I have researched all of the other factors in which I am interested, so unless you can suggest an M-LOK rail with 7 sides M-LOK, weight under 12oz (with barrel nut), and a length to cover most of a 14.5" barrel behind a pinned Trifecta mount, please do not recommend a different rail.

6920_enthusiast
03-25-16, 06:37
I just purchased the 12 inch Midwest Industries mlok. So far I'm pleased. Just keep in mind that even though you purchase a low pro gas block (gb) you may not be able to attach an mlok section under the portion where the gb is. At least using Midwest Industries lpgb. It's just the design when the rail is 1 1/2 inches in diameter. When I get off work I'll post better pics of my 6920 converted from a ffsb.

cdmiller
03-25-16, 10:00
Interested in seeing the pictures. Don't think I'll have a problem with the GB based on what I intend to attach. What's your impression of the way it mounts to the rifle?

6920_enthusiast
03-25-16, 18:09
I dint see a problem with it for its intended use (having a place for your hands, and bolting on accessories). It seems seems very solid with the 12 inch length, installation was really easy.

cdmiller
03-25-16, 20:26
Could you possibly post some pictures of how it interfaces with the upper receiver? I can't seem to find anyone who can definitively tell me if it will work with the ADM UIC upper but some pictures might let me be able to tell.

6920_enthusiast
03-25-16, 20:50
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/6e13986485f818608020dec37ddce589.jpghere is a view from the mag well

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/09c97329c5962ea127724bdd9bf69914.jpgA view from the left

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/d32abb5e88bc119cf3f5a9578372af5d.jpg From the right

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/4a33ab31d751ea699c2cb290e42a004e.jpgThe only flaw I have with my rifle is the top picatinny rail doesn't line up perfectly (the rail is slightly shorter by 1/32 of an inch than my upper receiver).

6920_enthusiast
03-25-16, 20:54
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160326/b4cc84468324e47e1bb4295297c72ba8.jpg Sorry for the phone pics, it's dark outside and these were just taken from my basement. This is what it would look like with a 16 inch barrel

El Cid
03-25-16, 22:24
I have the gen 2 M-lok 15" from MI and am very pleased. Still a low round count gun but I don't baby my gear. I also love that it has 5 built in QD (limited swivel) sockets. If you add QD attachments to a KMR the MI is lighter.

Pics are here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?176850-New-Build-CMT-Tactical-Project-Dark-Earth

OrbitalE
03-25-16, 23:20
I don't particularly like the way the SLR Solo/Ion rails index on the gas tube, but I like the rails a lot. The ultra lite models really are light and I like the way they retain on the barrel nut more than the MI rails. That said, the last MI rail I played with was a G2 mlok and not the current model.

Press Check
03-25-16, 23:52
The only flaw I have with my rifle is the top picatinny rail doesn't line up perfectly (the rail is slightly shorter by 1/32 of an inch than my upper receiver).

Yikes, but why am I not surprised?

6920_enthusiast
03-26-16, 09:03
Eh, you can't mount anything on that spot anyway and is not very noticeable. But I thought I'd share.

cdmiller
03-26-16, 09:03
I'm not too concerned about the gas tube index. The front of the optic mount should extend just enough to bridge the upper and rail. Between 7075AL and a nitrided stainless steel gas tube, I think they would prevent any twisting with the SLR. What I am concerned about are 2 other issues:
1) The height differential between the top of the MI rail and upper receiver. That will not fly in my application as it looks like it would cause issues with the optic mount based on 6920's photos. Hoping someone from MI might see this thread and chime in on this.
2) The way the nuts for the SLR's bolts are exposed. I can see banging them against something that breaks the thread locker loose and having the bolts work their way out. Unlikely I know, but I've seen weirder things happen. Also, they just look a little kludgey.

6920_enthusiast
03-26-16, 09:19
Your optic should be mounted to your upper. In which the relation of the barrel to the upper never changes. The rail is for having something to hold on to and mounting a flip up sight, which once the sight is zeroed it makes no difference.

jackblack73
03-26-16, 11:32
I have the MI G3 SSM M-Lok (3 sides of M-Lok instead of 7). Like the pic posted above, the rail isn't perfectly level with my BCM upper receiver. i also have a Centurion CMR on another BCM and it doesn't line up perfectly either, although it's not off as much as the MI rail. Neither bothers me too much since I don't bridge the gap with the optic. Although I did bridge the gap with a Larue mount when installing both, and I don't think it would be a problem.

cdmiller
03-26-16, 12:03
Thanks. The optic and mount combo I intend to use locks to the upper at both throw levers but the front end extends about 1/2" past the upper and locks around the top rear of the rail when I set eye relief and stock length where I want them. I was just a little worried that the difference might cause mount issues.

Press Check
03-26-16, 13:16
Your optic should be mounted to your upper. In which the relation of the barrel to the upper never changes. The rail is for having something to hold on to and mounting a flip up sight, which once the sight is zeroed it makes no difference.

If you are ok with it, to each his own, but the rail system is also there to support and align the front BUIS with the rear BUIS.

It could be the angle of the picture, but not only is the rail not level, it looks crooked and canted upward, which I'm measuring by how many ridges on the barrel nut I can see.

Like the pic posted above, the rail isn't perfectly level with my BCM upper receiver. i also have a Centurion CMR on another BCM and it doesn't line up perfectly either, although it's not off as much as the MI rail.

So, if the rail doesn't level with Colt or BCM uppers, which are industry standards, what receiver does it level with?

vivi00
03-26-16, 13:21
I have 2 of these rails.

On my BCM receiver the MI rail is below the receiver slightly as others have mentioned and what's shown in 6920's photos.

On my Noveske receiver, the MI rail and receiver align perfectly.

jackblack73
03-26-16, 13:28
I had no issue zeroing MBUS Pros, FWIW.

6920_enthusiast
03-26-16, 13:35
Yeah, the pictures do look funny, and made me check. But with the exception of that slight ridge the rail is straight. Could be the result of the rail being that small outer diameter wise. But right out of the box my mbus pro zeroed at 50 yards with little adjustment.

cdmiller
03-26-16, 19:58
Is there no one out there with personal experience with the SLR Ion?

jackblack73
03-26-16, 22:37

I believe that's a very new line.

OrbitalE
03-27-16, 00:04
I run an Ion Ultra Lite. Different shape/ligthening cuts than the SLR Solo; same retention system. I like it, but I haven't run it very hard yet. Not running a backup sight on the rail so movement of the initial index doesn't concern me. I will say it's heinously light. Rail height seems to match the receiver, but I wasn't able to slide my pic mounted optic off the from the front, seems there's a slight misalignment when indexed it with a different pic mount during assembly.

rainman
03-27-16, 05:05

I have a SLR Ion Lite 13.7" Mlok.

Not a lot of time on it (installed on my 300 BO, which doesn't get nearly as much range time as my other toys).

Pros so far are nice fit/finish, super easy installation (aligns nicely with the UR rail), and it's very slim.

No cons so far.

-Rainman

klawson
03-27-16, 17:40
Is there no one out there with personal experience with the SLR Ion? I have the ION 10" on my 10.5 gun. I like it, it seems to be a solid rail, and the machining is nice. It seems like it will hold up to whatever I throw at it.

My only con is I think it's a bit pricey.

cdmiller
03-27-16, 20:33
rainman/klawson: Could one of you possibly post some close up pictures of the area around the mounting bolts and the interface to the upper receiver?

cdmiller
04-03-16, 00:57
Found a great deal on the MI rail in FDE. Guess I will find out how it fits.

nedceifus
04-08-16, 08:02
Built a lightweight hunting rifle for the wife. I am stoked with the rail. Light & feels great. Makes all of my rifles feel like tanks.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/0aa4ff4d7d061c4b64f6f71b0b81ac81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FamilyMan
04-08-16, 09:30
Does anyone know if the MI Gen3 rails will work with an A2 front sight? Meaning will the 'midlength' version fit a middy with an A2 sight?

jackblack73
04-08-16, 10:31
Does anyone know if the MI Gen3 rails will work with an A2 front sight? Meaning will the 'midlength' version fit a middy with an A2 sight?

They call the 9.25" version midlength, so I imagine it would work. But they're on this site, so you should be able to ask them.

cdmiller
04-08-16, 21:14
Just got the "rifle" length (12.625") version I ordered today. Test fit shows the height of the top of the rail appears about as close to perfect to the height of the upper rail on the receiver as any other quality rail I have used previously. And it feels great in hand. I love the little facets. They seem to lock my hand in place on the rail.

Also, MI says to contact the upper receiver manufacturer to check fit for billet uppers. When I ordered my ADM UIC billet upper receiver at the beginning of this process, ADM said the MI rail "should fit fine" but they couldn't tell me for sure. For anyone who is interested, the rail seems to mount to an ADM UIC billet upper receiver perfectly. However, I can't be 100% sure until everything is torqued together instead of barely hand right. Unfortunately, that has to wait until after I get the Saker mount pinned to the barrel.