PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Cleaning Kit

Butch
03-25-16, 08:51
Is there a better alternative to the cleaning kit that comes with a Colt rifle? What do you guys use? Is there any value to leaving the Colt cleaning kit new and unused? I'm referring to the barrel/chamber brushes and rods.

Ernst
03-25-16, 09:10
I generally do not use any "kit" that comes with any weapon, but just leave it as is just in case I decide to sell it later. I have better gear that comes issued with the firearm from the manufacturer, on the other hand, you could just toss it in your range bag as a "just in case" you need it, say, if you have a case separation and need the cleaning rod to get something out of the bore, etc.

I'd suggest you get yourself a short brass cleaning rod to use with specifically designed cleaning brushes for your lugs and chamber, and then some plastic pics to get cleaning materials down into places in the upper and lower receiver you can't reach otherwise.

Also, there are several ways to clean your BCG. I prefer to use a tool designed to help you scrape off the carbon. Pipe cleaners are also handy.

You'll also want to pick up some brass "toothbrush" type cleaners.

People can get quite obsessed by what cleaning solution to use, what lube to use, etc. but the really important thing is simply to clean and maintain your rifle regularly and well and don't skimp on lube for your BCG, etc.

A wet AR is a happy AR. Please ignore advice that would have you believe you do not have to clean it well or regularly and don't have to lube it well and regularly.

masakari
03-25-16, 10:22
Here's what you need to clean an AR15:
Old cotton shirt
Lubricant of choice
Toothbrush
Bore snake
Cleaning rod
Chamber brush
Compressed air

zackmars
03-25-16, 11:29
Here is all you need

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/20150918_045251_zpsuo3upzbe.jpg (http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150918_045251_zpsuo3upzbe.jpg.html)

Ernst
03-25-16, 12:04
Here is all you need

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah77/zackmarrs/Mobile%20Uploads/20150918_045251_zpsuo3upzbe.jpg (http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/zackmarrs/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150918_045251_zpsuo3upzbe.jpg.html)

Of course, this is not true.

wildcard600
03-25-16, 12:07
Of course, this is not true.

Yes, you should add a toothbrush and some q-tips to that.

quackhead
03-25-16, 14:00
Build your own using what you want as long as the basics are covered - clean it and lube it. Some people are OCD and some do the bare minimum . It's your rifle. The cleaning procedure is pretty much the same for any firearm. These rifles need lube to work properly

Going4Broke
03-25-16, 19:19
If you want to buy and not build, Otis makes a good AR cleaning kit.

26 Inf
03-25-16, 19:36
I like this:

https://www.holsterops.com/rogers-single-caliber-cleaning-kits
and this (small tube comes with kit
https://www.holsterops.com/rogers-advanced-bore-cleaning-solution-1oz
Rags, q-tips, Ballistol, Fireclean or Slip

Saw Bill Rogers clean one funky looking gun at one of his courses, they were shooting an infomercial about it, not sure it is the one shown because Ronnie Dodd was messing with him while he was doing it. All that magic stuff worked pretty dang good, I just decided to go with the rifle kit and bore cleaner - which works good. I buy extra .223 and .308 squeegees, but they last pretty good.

titsonritz
03-26-16, 01:03
Wait...you're suppose to clean these things? :suicide:

DireStraits
03-26-16, 21:13
Are you wanting a cleaning kit for home or a portable kit to take to the range, etc?

For a "home kit" I use Dewey coated rods, Mike Lucas bore guides and the Parker-Hale style Dewey jags. Add the solvent and lube of your choice and cotton patches and you're GTG.

For a portable kit, I've purchased a few OTIS I-Mod kits from Amazon ($24 shipped) and tailored them to service my 9mm and Aimpoint as well as the carbine it's originally designed for. The beauty of the I-Mod Kit is that it's equipped with a standard 3-piece rod that can be used as an obstruction remover as well as the pull-through cable.

Also, OTIS is an American company and their customer service is top-notch. I cannot say enough good about the ladies in the office I've dealt with. If you are prior or current military, they will give you a 15% discount and waive the shipping costs. That being said, it's still cheaper to purchase the I-Mod from Amazon and buy your accessories from OTIS.

Berserkr556
03-26-16, 21:43
A boresnake, an old T-shirt or other rag and some CLP of your choice will work. A chamber brush isn't bad to have either. For home I have a one piece Dewey and a one piece Tipton rod. I use one of them maybe every 3,000 rounds or more. Most of the time I use an Otis pull through or a boresnake. I do keep a USGI M16 cleaning kit in my LBE. If you're ever in the field and get a stuck case that steel cleaning rod is a life saver. My ARs aren't Match guns, they're fighting/home defense carbines. The U.S. military teaches to over clean and that white glove clean crap is uncalled for and can harm your AR. If you're spending more than 10 minutes cleaning you're either taking your time or doing it wrong.

Iraqgunz
03-27-16, 00:05
A basic USGI styled kit is fine for almost all applications. I augment it with some additional toothbrushes, patches and rags. Q-Tips serve very little real purpose except for those that have been indoctrinated by the military and can't let go.

I also have a Dewey solid rod as well for home use.

Bodhisattva05X
03-27-16, 02:18
To piggy back off of IG, a USGI kit is really the most you need. Keep one in the tool box for home and one in the range bag. I've added one of those bolt scrapers and some picks. The USGI kit has served me well for many, many years.

Chuc
03-27-16, 04:41
I use this: http://www.amazon.com/IOSSO-Eliminator-AR-15-Complete-Cleaning/dp/B0032OPEVQ.

Butch
03-27-16, 06:31
Thanks. The last few posts was what I was looking for. New guy trying to get a feel for what you old-timers use. Not asking about cleaning frequency either. I certainly won't ask what oil to use!:no: Want to buy the right stuff the first time. In this day and age, I see no reason for trial and error for something like a cleaning kit. It is simply no more than wondering if there is resell value to not using the kit that came with the rifle and what, if any, is "better". Us new guys have to start somewhere.

theorangecat
03-27-16, 08:00
I used to keep a segmented GI rod in my portable cleaning kit, but last year I picked up a Pro-Shot kit (the no frills item R22-SCASE, not the larger kit) that has a more precisely made segmented rod with shorter individual lengths and an ingenious little handle that allows the rod to either rotate or lock in place. The main reason I bought it was to reduce the overall length of my kit by a small amount, but it also performs better (IMO).

toc

ETA: My portable kit is quite basic: a segmented rod, small bottle of CLP (kept inside a "ziploc" bag that also contains a piece of old t-shirt material), bore brush, jag, cotton patches (round bore size and a couple of "universal" squares, also in a small "ziploc" bag) and a double-ended "toothbrush."

Ernst
03-27-16, 08:28
To the OP:

You've seen two different categories of responses:

(1) What you might want to have at home when you are cleaning your AR at your leisure, with no worries about trying to fix malfunctions in the field.
(2) What you might want to have with you at all times you are shooting your AR to take care of problems in the field.

Two very different scenarios.

Most "kits" try to account for both scenarios, BUT only if those kids include some kind of a rod.

If, or should I say when?, you experience a case separation or some other kind of malfunction that leaves you with a spent casing shoved up into your chamber, or a squib round (very rare), you will need/want to have a rod to get your chamber and bore cleared.

Butch
03-27-16, 08:44
LOL! Yea, I didn't think of alternative scenarios. New guy=basic. I was wondering what everyone used to do basic cleaning. Now I know I need to include tools for malfunctions. I'm learnin'.

To the OP:

(1) What you might want to have at home when you are cleaning your AR at your leisure, with no worries about trying to fix malfunctions in the field.
(2) What you might want to have with you at all times you are shooting your AR to take care of problems in the field.

Most "kits" try to account for both scenarios, BUT only if those kids include some kind of a rod.

If, or should I say when?, you experience a case separation or some other kind of malfunction that leaves you with a spent casing shoved up into your chamber, or a squib round (very rare), you will need/want to have a rod to get your chamber and bore cleared.

WillBrink
03-27-16, 09:31
LOL! Yea, I didn't think of alternative scenarios. New guy=basic. I was wondering what everyone used to do basic cleaning. Now I know I need to include tools for malfunctions. I'm learnin'.

You have come to the right place to learn about all things AR and other firearms. There's a lot of forums populated by wanna be armchair mall ninja idiots. This is not one of them.

dbain99
03-27-16, 09:51
Here's what you need to clean an AR15:
Old cotton shirt
Lubricant of choice
Toothbrush
Bore snake
Cleaning rod
Chamber brush
Compressed air

This and a bottle of Hoppes #9

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

DireStraits
03-27-16, 13:33
To the OP:

I'm glad you brought up the issue of a case separation/torn head; I forgot to. In each one of my I-MOD kits I have a broken shell extractor to remedy just such an occurrence.

26 Inf
03-27-16, 13:41
Another thing I would like to add -

I also have Dewey one-piece rods for my rifles and pistols (at home) and carry a GI kit in my range bag. I haven't cleaned a rifle or pistol in the field since I retired.

I almost exclusively use 'cables' because I only pull/push one way, and I got tired of unscrewing bore brushes to pull the rod back through. Prior to the cables I used old military pistol rods and cut the looped end off for pistols - put the brushes and jags in loose so they can follow the rifling - either screwing in or screwing out. For the rifles I just used the good Dewey rods and removed the brush - there is a certain relaxation component to that ritual, but not when you are breaking in barrels.

NinjaLoader
03-27-16, 14:48

I also have Dewey one-piece rods for my rifles and pistols (at home) and carry a GI kit in my range bag. I haven't cleaned a rifle or pistol in the field since I retired.

I almost exclusively use 'cables' because I only pull/push one way, and I got tired of unscrewing bore brushes to pull the rod back through. Prior to the cables I used old military pistol rods and cut the looped end off for pistols - put the brushes and jags in loose so they can follow the rifling - either screwing in or screwing out. For the rifles I just used the good Dewey rods and removed the brush - there is a certain relaxation component to that ritual, but not when you are breaking in barrels.

I use Dewey rods and also just bought the nylon cables for field use. I don't know how much Otis cables cost but these seem KISS-simple and high quality --- for $9.

They additionally also sell "field kits" for AR's. I think thy have the cables and some other accessories.

Their lug recess cleaning stuff is very handy IMO, just cleaned my AR today..

ABNAK
03-27-16, 14:57
A boresnake, an old T-shirt or other rag and some CLP of your choice will work. A chamber brush isn't bad to have either. For home I have a one piece Dewey and a one piece Tipton rod. I use one of them maybe every 3,000 rounds or more. Most of the time I use an Otis pull through or a boresnake. I do keep a USGI M16 cleaning kit in my LBE. If you're ever in the field and get a stuck case that steel cleaning rod is a life saver. My ARs aren't Match guns, they're fighting/home defense carbines. The U.S. military teaches to over clean and that white glove clean crap is uncalled for and can harm your AR. If you're spending more than 10 minutes cleaning you're either taking your time or doing it wrong.

I'm throwing the BS flag on both those sentences. Only if you clean like a Cretan idiot will you damage the weapon. Convincing yourself otherwise is justifying laziness. That is why I will NEVER buy a used AR off of someone.

OP, your weapon is an investment your life could depend on one dark day. Treat it as such.

ABNAK
03-27-16, 15:02

If you have a rotating rod like the Dewey pulling the brush back through the bore shouldn't be an issue. It'll simply follow the lands and grooves. Especially with a chrome-lined bore there shouldn't be any problems; a true "match" barrel? Might do it your way just to be on the safe side.

NinjaLoader
03-27-16, 15:45
If you have a rotating rod like the Dewey pulling the brush back through the bore shouldn't be an issue. It'll simply follow the lands and grooves. Especially with a chrome-lined bore there shouldn't be any problems; a true "match" barrel? Might do it your way just to be on the safe side.

Nylon brush no problem, but a copper brush? I personally wouldn't do that as I've read from experienced bench shooters (I know..) that have seen damage in the barrel from doing exactly that. Could be just an old wives tale but since I don't have the need to do that, I just don't. I remove the copper brush (which I rarely need to use) before drawing the rod back to the breach after it has exited the muzzle.

ABNAK
03-27-16, 16:00
Nylon brush no problem, but a copper brush? I personally wouldn't do that as I've read from experienced bench shooters (I know..) that have seen damage in the barrel from doing exactly that. Could be just an old wives tale but since I don't have the need to do that, I just don't. I remove the copper brush (which I rarely need to use) before drawing the rod back to the breach after it has exited the muzzle.

Yeah but those guys ain't rocking chrome lined barrels. Chrome lining is MUCH harder than the copper/bronze cleaning brush. Been cleaning that way for years, as long as the brush rotates I'm comfortable with it. Like I said though, some uber-premium Krieger air-gauged barrel? Probably not.

NinjaLoader
03-27-16, 16:25
Yeah but those guys ain't rocking chrome lined barrels. Chrome lining is MUCH harder than the copper/bronze cleaning brush. Been cleaning that way for years, as long as the brush rotates I'm comfortable with it. Like I said though, some uber-premium Krieger air-gauged barrel? Probably not.

I have a chrome lined barrel and I've noticed it cleans faster than my other non-chrome rifle barrels. Have you ever tried to reverse a copper brush (still in the barrel) with a Dewey rod? I've done it before (probably over 10 years ago because I remember doing it in my old house) and it requires a lot more force than you'd think.

If someone did this in a chrome lined barrel, I suspect (but can't prove) you are unnecessarily shortening the life of the copper brush (even though there only a few bucks a piece). If we're convinced it's not damaging the lining, reverse away.. The bristles have to actually flip from pointing toward the breech, to pointing towards the muzzle as you draw the brush back to the breach - the fact that one may be using a free rotating rod is somewhat irrelevant at the point of reversal IMO.

Just don't reverse a copper brush after its exited the muzzle, protect the crown at all costs.

26 Inf
03-27-16, 18:03

I'm a wee bit anal about pulling/pushing from the muzzle end. I realize I'm PROBABLY not going to damage the crown......plus you can drag crap back into the barrel you just pushed out.

Coal Dragger
03-28-16, 02:08
Not that it needs repeating at this point, but at home I run Dewey coated rods for all my rifles, and a Boretech coated rod for my pistols (Dewey knock off). Along with every cleaning tool I can remotely justify to make cleaning easier. I even use an ultrasonic cleaner on a lot of steel parts, excellent for cleaning AR bolts and bolt carriers while you clean the the bore/chamber.

My most recent addition is an Otis B.O.N.E. tool, very handy for removing caked on carbon from bolt tails, and inside the bolt carrier not to mention the front shoulder of the firing pin. Plus it has a tapped hole to act as a cleaning rod T handle for the GI kit. I realize carbon fouling doesn't have to be totally removed for the rifle to function just fine, but this tool makes complete removal a 30 second job..... if you go slow.

My range/field kit will include a bore snake, GI tooth brush, lube, GI cleaning kit, and the aforementioned Otis tool since it has multiple functions. The GI cleaning kit is really for emergency range rodding of the barrel or chamber to remove obstructions. I should probably add a broken shell extractor as well. I also try to take any small tools or wrenches associated with making optics adjustments, tightening rings/mounts or other screws etc. All this can be carried taking up a small amount of space and can be the difference between a wasted range session, or a small speed bump quickly dealt with.

Bodhisattva05X
03-28-16, 04:59
This was the cleaning tool I picked up. Works pretty well. I'm actually impressed with how well it works.

Real Avid The AR15 Scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPKZ1MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_gbq-wbTWG629P

NinjaLoader
03-28-16, 06:24
This was the cleaning tool I picked up. Works pretty well. I'm actually impressed with how well it works.

Real Avid The AR15 Scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPKZ1MO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_gbq-wbTWG629P

+1. I have this tool as well, it's very good. I like being able to stick a patch around the rectangular end and cleaning the bolt area "recess" (under the gas key). Cleaning the inside of the actual bolt is also a very nice feature as well. Only thing I'd change would to make it more of a "Swiss army knife", where both ends of the tool can be folded into the handle instead of one.

daniel87
03-28-16, 18:14
If you have a military base near you you may find the ottis kits cheap. I got my all guns kit (5.56 22 lr 9mm 45acp .40 and 12 ga for 25. I asked if i could complete the kit i was told sure i also grabbed a ottis optic brush

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

malstew123
03-28-16, 20:57
Otis kit or a legacy GI cleaning kit are viable options. Personally, I am not a fan of the Ottis kit, I find the little pieces get lost and its tools to be not ideal. I take the issued otis kit and keep it in the garage with the expensive stuff I dont want to pay to replace when I check out whatever unit I am in.

I have a multitool on my belt and the following items water proofed and wrapped up in a sock in my assault pack.
1 oz. Fireclean (or clp/your cleaner of choice)
1 bore snake 9 mil/ 1 bore snake 5.56
1 Legacy cleaning kit punch rod, cotton swabs, and chamber brush.
1 1/2 torn up shirt
1 bundle q tips
1 AP brush

This set up is simple and adequate for functional cleaning. If you want to drop money on a more comprehensive kit (Otis)/rods/brushes/picks....by all means go ahead.. However, if you are going for the white glove cleanliness every time you clean your weapon then Id say you should look into a gerber cleaning tool that has little hooks/pics for those awkward nooks and crannies in the bolt carrier/chamber.

HeruMew
03-30-16, 10:35
Hopefully I can get a couple pictures of my setup later at home, I plan on doing a little session and that requires a breakdown after.

I am a bit of a "Wheeler" buff. I invested in their equipment and it seems to last me well.

Using a $25 dollar harbor freight table-clamp vise:

I can rotate and swing my rifle any which way on a NO-M.A.R. magwell block. Using the NO-MAR cleaning link, I can get it propped in an "open" position.

I use a Dewey single piece rod.

I use the "Staggered-Brushes" from "BoreSmith". I think this is a bit overkill, and not really necessary. While they do work very well, I don't feel like it gives me an advantage over a regular brush and patches seperately being used. Amazon Link to Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Cleaner-Patented-Brushes-Patches-BoreSmith/dp/B00Q669C1A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

For Chamber Cleaning, I use the Nylon kit from Wheeler with their plastic brush. It works well for my needs: Amazon Link to Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-AR-15-Complete-Brush-Set/dp/B00AUEHRAC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01)

And, my most favorite of all Wheeler tools, and I felt it was worth every penny (as I do the cleaning of my ARs, my Family's ARs, and I have a few friends who inherently fail at keeping theirs even moderately clean) but it's their Brass Guide. Amazon Link to Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-156-213-Delta-Series-AR-15/dp/B0081IPB3Y?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01)38655

Last, and this can be controversial, so I am only stating what I PERSONALLY USE:
I clean with CLP/Hoppes/and used Hoppe's Elite Foaming Bore Cleaner for the barrel.

Lube everything (following the lubrication guidelines on this forum that is stickied) with Slip2000 EWL (also directed that way from these forum boards).

Hopefully once I get home, I can get a screenshot of my mini-pop-up-workshop that I have and use.

Great thread, folks!

ETA: I want to clarify that I use that little vise for a TON. I have my break open Rossi Wizard barrels. I can clamp those in lightly and give it a scrub. It's great for upper work and I use it for countless applications.

Split66
03-30-16, 11:46
I keep that segmented Colt rod handy anytime I go shooting. I've punched a number of stuck cases with it in various firearms.