PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mag pouches and holster for Idpa/ipsc?

cody0341
08-21-08, 12:14
So I really want to start getting into idpa/ipsc shooting but I'm not really sure where to look for a good holster and mag pouches. i want it to be hard plastic or Kydex. If anyone knows let me know?

Robb Jensen
08-21-08, 12:16
I like Comp-Tac stuff. http://www.comp-tac.com/

LOKNLOD
08-21-08, 13:19
I like Comp-Tac stuff. http://www.comp-tac.com/

I hate to do this, but:

+1

usp45ss
08-21-08, 15:09
I bought Blade-Tech's IDPA pack for my M&P Pro and STI Eagle. It is a good setup escpecially to get started with. I believe it uses the SRB holster which has been good for me so far.

PRGGodfather
08-21-08, 15:33
Comp-Tac

RD62
08-21-08, 15:49
Comp-tac here too!

Plus you get candy in the box.... Yum!:D

-RD62

BB01
08-21-08, 18:57
+1 for Comptac

If you need one NOW Comptac, for speed and customer service, can't be beat. If you are willing to wait 2 months Fin Designs (for Glocks) or Kytac might have the slight edge, in my opinion....but honestly it isn't that important. The differences boil down to taste rather than substance.

rob_s
08-21-08, 19:04
I just got my first Comptac the other day. Used to be a Blade Tech fan, but I think they've slipped a bit in the last few years. Definitely happy with the Comptac I got. Not much of a fan of their twin mag pouches though. YMMV.

My favorite mag pouches are the Ready Tactical offered by SKD (http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=411).

I really wish that Blade Tech hadn't gone to a universal loop for their Stingray. I have a couple of older Stingrays where you ordered to fit the belt. Now they have a large loop and an adjustable bar that you tighten down to fit. I can't stand that setup. I'd rather buy the different backing plates and have the right size holes.

Sam
08-21-08, 19:42
My favorite mag pouches are the Ready Tactical

I knew sooner or later someone would drag THAT name in here. I will not recommend that product to anyone due to the lack of customer service. I've used his mag pouches for the 1911s, it's easy to slip on the belt but it doesn't really stay in one place on the belt. A friend of mine had the belt clip broken off his mag pouch and have not been able to real the owner of the company for over two years. I paid for an IWB holster that I took back to the company's owner (and maker himself) to have him make a small adjustment on the belt clips. That was two and a half years ago, I haven't received my holster back yet. Several emails were sent, but they all bounced back. Phone calls kept reaching voice mail, then later to a disconnected number. I know a small time dealer who paid for several holsters in advance over two years ago and have nothing to show for.

Sure he's making holsters and sell through a big distributor, but he's neglecting his former individual customers. Buy his stuff at your own risk, if they break, good luck.

Maybe the moderator will delete my post. I sure hope not.

As for mag pouches for IDPA, buy from Blade Tech, Comp Tac, Talon Tactical, Raven Concealment, Uncle Mike's, or Custom Carry Concepts. Those people stand behind their products.

RD62
08-21-08, 20:33
No experience with Comp-tacs double pouches, as I prefer single pouches anyway. But the singles are definately GTG!

-RD62

PRGGodfather
08-21-08, 20:35
Yup! Definitely!

No experience with Comp-tacs double pouches, as I prefer single pouches anyway. But the singles are definately GTG!

-RD62

ToddG
08-21-08, 21:23
I believe the negative experiences with Ready-Tac are well known and widely publicized. I had a similar issue with him. There is no way to meet the rule of "contact the manufacturer first" when the manufacturer fails to return emails, changes his phone number, and basically ignores everyone who paid him in advance via PayPal for his product.

Not that I'm bitter.

However, I will say that if you want Ready-Tac products, SKD Tactical (http://www.skdtac.com) is the place to go. You never have to deal with the manufacturer. Either SKD has it in stock, or they don't. SKD even went so far as to honor the "sale" I made at the Ready-Tac online store ... SKD gave me six mag pouches out of their inventory even though I'd paid Ready-Tac for them, not SKD, and SKD I'm sure never saw a penny of that money.

Having said all that, though, I won't touch a mag pouch that uses a bendable kydex clip anymore. I've had too many of them break, seen too many other people break theirs, and just tonight saw a competent gun owner rip his whole mag pouch off his belt because the belt clip didn't do its job. Sorry, not for me. That's why this mag carrier (http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=11) was invented.

http://www.shop.customcarryconcepts.com/images/12064917942431804577972.jpeg

rob_s
08-21-08, 22:02
Guess I'm just not hard enough on my gear. They work great for me, and they're all I use for the Glock and the AR mag pouches. Never bothered with a holster form them as I've never had the need.

I've seen pouches come off of belts too. Not these, but others with a clip. IMHO every time I've seen it the guy wearing it had it on the wrong size belt or didn't have the belt tight enough.

Just my experience. Not begrudging anyone else theirs. People say they've been screwed and I'm sure they have. I know what it's like to be on the wrong end of a deal gone bad (Nelson who?).

ToddG
08-21-08, 22:13
Guess I'm just not hard enough on my gear. They work great for me ...

I felt the same way for a long time. Listened to my BTDT buddies tell tales of horror about mag pouches and holsters getting ripped up during bail outs, DT training, etc. But it never happened to me.

Then it started happening to me as my training got more focused on some of those same skills, and the lightbulb finally went off in my head. I've got the broken mag holders and holsters to prove that it's a real issue.

Basic rule about belt gear: the easier it is for you to put on, the easier it is for someone else to take it off you.

DZL HOG
08-21-08, 22:29
Another CompTac user here. Ive got a couple of their holsters, and another one the way. Great customer service. I had a little computer glitch during the ordering/billing process. I sent them an email, the next day they had it fixed no questions asked. Quick turn around too. They are advertising 2weeks production times, but with my experience its been half that long. They also send you an email to let you know when your order has been processed, completed, and shipped.

rob_s
08-21-08, 22:30
I'm not a BTDT guy, and I'm not a "hard use" guy. I'm just a guy that carries a gun when legally able. The ease of on/off is a necessity for me and I just have to live with it. My job takes me too many places that I can't carry, and there's not a way for me to be getting all undressed in the car.

I've actually had people suggest that I leave the mag pouches and holster on my belt and ditch the contents in the car. If even so much as a holster or mag pouch was seen on me while visiting an occupied school I'd be PHUCKED with a capital P. As it is I have to park off-site, remove all my gear and lock it in the car (all without being seen as "man with a gun" in the vicinity of a school) and then make my way onto the campus.

POF.Ops
08-22-08, 00:46
You're not going to believe this but I've had my Unlike Mike's Kydex belt holster for years for my single-stack 1911 that I just keep coming back to. It is legal for IDPA and it is such a simple holster. I probably bought it for $20. I used it tonight and marvelled once again at its simplicity and effectiveness. The closest design to my Uncle Mike's I have found is the Tucker Silent Thunder Champion and it is on my wish list. There is a big price difference between the two.

I have yet to find a decent Kydex dual mag carrier that isn't bulky so I keep using my trusty Wilson Combat leather double mag holster. I also have a Kramer leather double mag pouch that works pretty well. Recommendations on Kydex mag holsters appreciated!

ToddG
08-22-08, 08:30
The ease of on/off is a necessity for me and I just have to live with it. My job takes me too many places that I can't carry, and there's not a way for me to be getting all undressed in the car.

Everything in life involves compromises, and if your job situation requires you to make that particular compromise, who can blame you? When I go somewhere that doesn't allow loaded guns (mil base, etc.) I usually just throw everything in a fanny pack for the day. That's certainly no less of a compromise than what you're doing.

rob_s
08-22-08, 08:38
Dress code won't allow for things like fanny packs. I'm khakis and a polo most days (and often have to trade in the polo for a shirt with buttons all the way down the front! :eek: ), and the fanny pack would just lead to too many questions from everyone around me. I also often find myself having to visit schools or other similar facilities without notice. Just the other day I had to go back to a school that we finished 3+ years ago to look at some flooring problems. The trip was un-planned and I wound up having to park at the park across the street and risk getting a ticket so I could be otherwise legal.

cody0341
08-22-08, 10:04
ok so I just have to ask. Does anyone like the blackhawk CQC mag pouches?

Sidewinder6
08-22-08, 13:54
I went through several holsters and have been really pleased with G-Code. I was looking for mag pouches that had a v configuration but still IDPA legal and bought a holster and mag pouch package from these guys:

http://www.gunnersalley.com/category/holstersbymanufacturer.gcodeholsters/

Just thought I would toss that out.

DANGER CLOSE
08-23-08, 13:32
i am looking into getting the blade tech idpa pak. its got what i need in a single package. depending on how it rides, i may use it for concealment. other than that i will just be using it for idpa matches. now where can i get one at a good price?

DANGER CLOSE
08-29-08, 16:38
can anyone help a brother out?

Steve
09-07-08, 07:54
I use to use comptac alot key word used too, to many issues of late and a pile of busted holsters..

I switched to Raven this past year been very happy every day carry and class use and match rigs,

I was running comp tac for close to 5 years.:mad:

CarlosDJackal
10-27-08, 20:16
ok so I just have to ask. Does anyone like the blackhawk CQC mag pouches?

I have two and I'm not impressed. The damned things are bulkier than they have to be because of the retention system. I nevr used either one and I'm not too sure where they are at the moment.

I use Raven Concealment IWB kydex pouch pretty much everyday. I have both single and double. YMMV.

vaspence
10-28-08, 15:07
I'm really digging the Raven line. Great customer service also. I use their Phantom G17 holster for all of my Glocks, mostly IWB with the 26. Nice to be able to use it with all of them. I really like the Threat Solutions UCR also but be prepared to wait a few months for one.

ErnieB
10-29-08, 09:46
I use to use comptac alot key word used too, to many issues of late and a pile of busted holsters..

I switched to Raven this past year been very happy every day carry and class use and match rigs,

I was running comp tac for close to 5 years.:mad:

I used to run a Comp-Tac holster as well. I wore it everyday at work and I ended up breaking the belt loop. Ironically, I bought it because it had a relatively thick belt loop and it was IDPA legal. I was a bit surprised that the holster didn't last that long. I still think Comp-Tac makes the best mag pouches. I have looked at some Raven stuff but the thickness of the kydex makes me hesitate. They just don't look that durable. For guys that are wearing Raven stuff daily, how are the holsters holding up?

Dozer
10-29-08, 22:06
Raven Concealment is top-notch. I have a Phantom 1911 holster and a Phantom double magazine carrier. I have carried it for the last 5 months and have not had a single problem. I use it on my weekly range trips and it has never failed. The thing that I like the most about it is that it is built to keep the weapon extremely close to your body. The kydex may seem thin but it is extremely rugged, plus their warranty is unbeatable.

S/F

ErnieB
10-30-08, 02:07
How is the riveting holding up?

Dozer
10-30-08, 08:36
Riveting is just as tight as it was when I first started using it. http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=54298&an=0&page=0#54298 This link has a lot of helpful information.

S/F

ErnieB
10-30-08, 22:01
Thanks for the link.

jht3
11-08-08, 18:09
those of you with Comp-tacs, are you using the belt or paddle holster?

ErnieB
11-08-08, 21:44
Belt.

Hersh
11-09-08, 09:37
i am looking into getting the blade tech idpa pak. its got what i need in a single package. depending on how it rides, i may use it for concealment. other than that i will just be using it for idpa matches. now where can i get one at a good price?

I have a BT combo package like you mentioned for a 1911 and another for my M&P. 'Not sure about pricing, but I bought both direct from BT. Personally I'd want something that rides a little higher for CCW, but ymmv.

snakedoctor
11-10-08, 07:44
what about 3gungear.com ? its really great kit and the quality outstanding. A+

DANGER CLOSE
11-13-08, 04:26
thanks for the info, just a bit late. i bought the bt idpa pak from brownells. 75 bucks for the kit and even less for le/mil.:) they have the 1911 and glock ones in stock. the rest are special order and they said to give it 3 weeks if i remember right. a really sweet deal if anybody else is interested.

Hersh
11-13-08, 09:03
thanks for the info, just a bit late. i bought the bt idpa pak from brownells. 75 bucks for the kit and even less for le/mil.:).

Yeah that's a heckuva deal! Does you rig have the adjustable belt loop system? How do you like the rig so far?