PDA

View Full Version : Compensator for 14.5" (2A, V Seven, etc...)

MeanCarbine
03-26-16, 09:12
I need a compensator for a 14.5" Faxon mid-length pencil barrel. I'm an average Joe building a lightweight range rifle and although I prefer a lightweight device, I'm not married to it. A comp having a balance between low noise and concussion, muzzle flip reduction, some flash suppression, is preferred.

What are your thoughts on the 2A Armament Ti T3 and V Seven Ti Extended A2 Style compensators,...and/or any other compensator that you suggest I should consider?

slowlowmiata
03-26-16, 10:07
The v7s most definitely a flash hider so be wary depending on what state you are in. That said it's awesome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

GH41
03-26-16, 10:19
I need a compensator for a 14.5" Faxon mid-length pencil barrel. I'm an average Joe building a lightweight range rifle and although I prefer a lightweight device, I'm not married to it. A comp having a balance between low noise and concussion, muzzle flip reduction, some flash suppression, is preferred.

What are your thoughts on the 2A Armament Ti T3 and V Seven Ti Extended A2 Style compensators,...and/or any other compensator that you suggest I should consider?

The 2A looks loud and the V7A2 will do nothing to reduce flip. One of the Precision Armament hybrid devices will do what you want but they are not Ti or light. Speaking of titanium... Have you thought about where you will get the Ti device pinned or the expense of doing it? Not trying to piss in your cereal but an expensive Ti muzzle device would be the last thing I would put on a 14.5" barrel if I had to pin it. I'd probably accept the slight weight penalty and put an extended A2 on it.

MeanCarbine
03-26-16, 11:13
The 2A looks loud and the V7A2 will do nothing to reduce flip. One of the Precision Armament hybrid devices will do what you want but they are not Ti or light. Speaking of titanium... Have you thought about where you will get the Ti device pinned or the expense of doing it? Not trying to piss in your cereal but an expensive Ti muzzle device would be the last thing I would put on a 14.5" barrel if I had to pin it. I'd probably accept the slight weight penalty and put an extended A2 on it.

Do you have a preference? AFAB or EFAB?

How do the BCM Compensator MOD 1 and Griffin Armament M4SD II Flash Comp compare to the PA hybrids?

There is a local class 3 dealer/builder that can do the pinning but I do not know the expense of the service.

Brahmzy
03-26-16, 12:18
The VG6 Epsilon is very effective at both, more so on the brake side.

SteveL
03-26-16, 12:33
These might be of use to you.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/06/jeremy-s/ar-15-flash-hider-shootout/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-muzzle-brake-shootout-2/

FWIW I have an AFAB on a 16" gun. I opted for it over the EFAB because it's a little smaller and about $60 cheaper.

GH41
03-26-16, 14:22
Do you have a preference? AFAB or EFAB?

How do the BCM Compensator MOD 1 and Griffin Armament M4SD II Flash Comp compare to the PA hybrids?

There is a local class 3 dealer/builder that can do the pinning but I do not know the expense of the service.

I have only had the AFAB mini. The original one. There is a guy on here that has used both. He'l probably chime in. I also have a BCM Mod0. The shorter one for 16" barrels. It is better than an A2 but in my opinion not worth the cost. It feels better but you get used to it in a hurry. Anything with exposed/open baffles like the Epsilon mentioned above will shoot flatter but loud. I don't know anything about the GA device. Welding... Did you ask your guy if he pins Ti. There is a lot more to it than kissing the pin with a TIG. Being a class III dealer doesn't mean he is a welder. Google welding titanium.

sbrown3
03-26-16, 16:14
I've also been considering a BCM Comp or the Griffin Armament M4SD II. I want somewhat of a hybrid muzzle device, but want a brake more than flash hider. I'm interested to know if anyone has compared these two against the PA AFAB.

bruin
03-26-16, 16:32
I've used the BCM on 14.5", Flash Comp on 16", AFAB Mini on 16", and EFAB on 11.5". I also have an AFAB on 16" that I haven't shot yet. I can't comment on flash reducing effectiveness, but TTAG has that covered. BCM has the most lateral movement. Flash Comp is better, and AFAB mini is more stable still. These will add some backpressure compared to a straight flash hider. EFAB on a short barrel is remarkable, possibly better than the Flash Comp on a 16". For a 14.5" AFAB is nearly as good as it gets I think. EFAB doesn't provide much more of an advantage here in stability or flash reduction, plus it's heavier and more expensive. MAMS may be the best but produces quite a bit more flash in the TTAG test, not to mention the price.

Iraqgunz
03-26-16, 21:37
I strongly do not not recommend a pin and welded muzzle device 14.5" unless you are 100% sure you know what you want and can live with it.

MeanCarbine
03-26-16, 21:40
I strongly do not not recommend a pin and welded muzzle device 14.5" unless you are 100% sure you know what you want and can live with it.

Agreed. I would probably try out the device on my 16" rifle first before a permanent install on my 14.5". I suppose I could get a stamp for my lower and not worry about it. :)

wanderson
03-28-16, 15:38

My advice as well. I have a BCM LW 14.5" midlength w/an A2 birdcage and it absolutely needs nothing in the way of any comp or brake, it's such a soft shooter. At the time I could have ordered it with a PWS comp and almost did. Later I built another AR w/16" carbine system and added a PWS FSC and while it's very effective, the concussion is rough indoors. And overall the BCM middy still has less felt recoil & muzzle jump than the carbine. I'd have wound up paying someone to pull that PWS off my BCM upper.