PDA

View Full Version : 22LR handgun host for woods/plinking

Auto-X Fil
03-26-16, 16:15
I'm getting a Spectre II, mostly for my 17HMR bolt gun and my 10/22. But, I might as well get a 22LR handgun now, since I don't own one. I carry a 17HMR Single Six around the woods a lot, and a silent 22 would be awesome for when woodchucks aren't the main object.

I want major accuracy - this is a squirrel gun, not a defensive practice piece. My bother has a PPQ-22 and SR-22 for my suppressed range use.

Is there anything even close to as good as a MkIII 22/45 with RMR for this application?

RHINOWSO
03-26-16, 16:23
Ruger is going to be hard to beat, for accuracy and price point. I prefer MKIIs over IIIs but they often don't come with threaded barrels standard. I shoot one with a Vortex Venom for bullseye and it's more accurate than I am.

223to45
03-27-16, 14:38
Is there anything even close to as good as a MkIII 22/45 with RMR for this application?

Not sure if anything else really compares.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brahmzy
03-27-16, 15:49
I'm enjoying my Walther PPQ M2. Great trigger, accurate. Kinda apples n oranges from the above mentioned.

lunchbox
03-27-16, 19:07
Ruger mkIII 22/45 can be gotten at an affordable price with factory threaded barrel. I use one (not lite version) with my Spectre II with very good results.

dmd08
03-27-16, 19:14
Ruger mkIII 22/45 can be gotten at an affordable price with factory threaded barrel. I use one (not lite version) with my Spectre II with very good results.
I use this exact setup and I love it. Accurate and quiet. My friend has the Lite version which is really nice. I've thought about choking up the extra dollars for a 22/45 lite to go with my Dead Air Mask that's in jail.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

cougar_guy04
03-27-16, 19:58
22/45 would be my suggestion as well. Have an Element 2 on order and a 22/45 Lite is soon to find its way to the safe as a host.

t15
03-28-16, 08:02
the 22/45 is nice being a fixed barrel. i use an octane 9 and dont have a dedicated 22 can and it works great. have had some hiccups with fully loaded mags, but it's hardly broken in yet and i may have damaged the mags during transport using the provided soft bag. youre can is so light though that you have lots of options. if i had a 22 can i think id have to buy a walther ppk 22!

theres 3 versions of the 22/45, lite, target, and threaded barrel. the lite and threaded barrel options are both 1/2x28. differences are lite has iron sights and a top mounted optic rail and weight cuts in the receiver. the threaded barrel version has no iron sights, but 2 rails. 1 on top and bottom for mounting a light or laser. the threaded version is cheaper than the lite and backyard plinking at zero dark thirty is a riot!

dmd08
03-28-16, 08:16
There is a 22/45 threaded barrel with irons and no rails. This is the version I have.

Briarjumper12
03-28-16, 20:33
I have a Browning Buckmark with a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel. Waiting for Mask thats in jail.

nimdabew
03-28-16, 20:56
This suppressor and a 22/45 are exactly what I am going to buy. If you buy the 22/45 lite, you can take the top rail off. I don't like the two color choices they have right now so I will probably strip the anodizing off the green version after I get the can in my hands.

Auto-X Fil
03-29-16, 04:27
Has anyone gotten to shoot a S&W Victory? It looks pretty good from the little I've seen. There is a 5.5" model with threaded barrel, which comes with sights and a rail.

Springfield
03-29-16, 11:08
I have had a Buckmark for over 10 years now and enjoy the pistol but if I was buying a .22 pistol for the purpose of mounting a suppressor I would likely go Ruger.

gunnut284
03-29-16, 12:03
The Ruger is a great choice and the only other option I would consider for that role is the Buckmark. I have both and, subjectively, the Ruger sounds a little quieter suppressed to me. The Buckmark has a better stock trigger and a little better "feel". The Ruger is a tank and has a much larger aftermarket part selection.

Eurodriver
03-29-16, 13:18
This thread has my interest...

I've really been considering a Ruger 22/45 with a Surefire X400V on the rail underneath the barrel and an aimpoint T1 on top. I just didn't want to do it before I knew how accurate those guns were.

So, how accurate are they?

JPB
03-29-16, 16:40
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac91/beggej/335%20sans%20serial2_zpsiwoaa4g0.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/beggej/media/335%20sans%20serial2_zpsiwoaa4g0.jpg.html)

Rugers have done me right. This combo is awesome. Actually the Element 2 on the 22/45 is my preference, but the Spectre II is pretty cool too.

Ranger86
03-29-16, 17:01
I've had both Ruger mk2 and different Buckmarks through the years. I just sold my buckmark 5.5 contour and ordered the Buckmark Field Target Suppressor Ready. Apparently released at the last SHOT show. It looks like I'll have to wait until July to get it, but both my .22 cans are in form 4 jail. Yhe suppressor ready Browning looks intriguing, can't wait to get it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
03-29-16, 19:33
Has anyone gotten to shoot a S&W Victory? It looks pretty good from the little I've seen. There is a 5.5" model with threaded barrel, which comes with sights and a rail.

I am seriously considering one of them.

Some additional reading:

http://www.shootingsportsretailer.com/2016/01/15/smith-wessons-new-sw22-an-add-on-sales-victory/

bulldozer3
03-29-16, 23:54
I picked up a victory last month and have put around 700 rds through it. Great gun, just bring the Allen wrench to the range with you... the takedown screw will come loose after 100-200 rds (if you don't locktight it). The upper assembly will rattle if it does, but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy.

This is my first target style .22, so I don't have much to compare it to... just know that it shoots dead on for me and has been 100% reliable with CCI, Aguila super extra, American Eagle, and federal semiautomatic match.

Carbon fiber wraped/threaded barrels are suppose to be out shortly.

Eurodriver
03-30-16, 06:22
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac91/beggej/335%20sans%20serial2_zpsiwoaa4g0.jpg (http://s889.photobucket.com/user/beggej/media/335%20sans%20serial2_zpsiwoaa4g0.jpg.html)

Rugers have done me right. This combo is awesome. Actually the Element 2 on the 22/45 is my preference, but the Spectre II is pretty cool too.

That looks incredible, and exactly what I want.

How is the accuracy? What kind of POA changes do you have to make for distance changes? (I.e. is POI still relatively close to POA at 5 yards, 10 yards, 20 yards?)

czgunner
03-30-16, 08:44
I've got a buck mark with a mini bull barrel I had threaded, used with my sparrow. It's fantastic. I run CCI standard velocity and gem tech. Never a problem.

usmcvet
03-30-16, 08:55

How is the accuracy? What kind of POA changes do you have to make for distance changes? (I.e. is POI still relatively close to POA at 5 yards, 10 yards, 20 yards?)

Is there a Ruger with sights and top and bottom rails? I'd like the option of a RDS but don't have the extra money now.

This might be an option.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/2245-and-mk-series-upgrades/pac-lite-45-threaded-barrel

I've wanted one for years.

utahjeepr
03-30-16, 09:40
The Ruger is hands down the better choice, but that little Browning 1911/22 just appeals to the 1911 guy in me. I know threaded barrels are available, but mounting a mini red dot like the RMR would cost some coin. Just think it would be cool.

JPB
03-30-16, 11:49

It is incredible. The most fun thing to shoot that I own.

You're probably a better shot than I, but at the distances you're interested in there is negligible POI shift. Obviously at the the shorter ranges you've got the height over bore contribution (hits low) and at the longer distances you get the trajectory contribution (hits low), but the magnitudes of the shift are so slight that within 25 yds, everything is pretty much POA. The error contribution due to my ability quickly swamps any mechanical zero shifts associated with moving between 5 to 25 yds. I even take it to 50 and 100 yds. You start seeing some drop at 50 (not much, but some) yds that is easily accommodated for. Keep in mind that I don't typically shoot from a rest. Shooting from a rest, you could probably measure some finite differences in POI within 25 yds, but at least for me, all of that is lost from a practical standpoint when ringing steel or bustin' clay pigeons from a standing postion.

I typically shoot Remington Thunderbolt (stays subsonic in pistols, not so in rifles) out of the pistols and CCI Standard Velocity out of rifles. I've shot a bunch of the CCI SV out of the pistols too, but I like the added juice of the higher velocity Thunderbolts out of the pistols while staying subsonic.

JPB
03-30-16, 11:59
Is there a Ruger with sights and top and bottom rails? I'd like the option of a RDS but don't have the extra money now.

This might be an option.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/2245-and-mk-series-upgrades/pac-lite-45-threaded-barrel

The TacSol products are great. I've got one of their 10/22 TD barrels, and it works wonderfully. I think Ruger really took a lot of wind out of TacSol's sails when they introduced the Lite series.

I'm not sure if TacSol makes an upper with a top and bottom rail. Ruger makes a model with sights and a top rail, but I'm not sure that I've seen a Ruger with sights, top rail, and bottom rail.

Nytcrawler93
03-30-16, 13:45
I'll let you know how my Nelson Custom works when it comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KalashniKEV
03-30-16, 16:06
Off the shelf, Ruger MKIII or Buckmark are going to be the only viable options that meet your criteria for accuracy and threaded.

I love the hell out of my Kadet, and shoot it often- they just need to come out with factory threaded options. Same for the "Beretta 92 Practice Kit" or whatever they call it.

I'd love to Beretta release an M87 factory threaded, or an Armscorp XT22 threaded without the optics rail.

The market is ripe to be stolen from Umarex by anyone who can release a high quality, suppressor ready .22 pistol.

joshua_capitolarmory
04-05-16, 09:42
22/45 Lite, VQ sear, VQ hammer bushing, vortex razor red dot, Dead Air Mask. Very, very fun little 22 pistol.

Eurodriver
04-05-16, 10:14
It is incredible. The most fun thing to shoot that I own.

You're probably a better shot than I, but at the distances you're interested in there is negligible POI shift. Obviously at the the shorter ranges you've got the height over bore contribution (hits low) and at the longer distances you get the trajectory contribution (hits low), but the magnitudes of the shift are so slight that within 25 yds, everything is pretty much POA. The error contribution due to my ability quickly swamps any mechanical zero shifts associated with moving between 5 to 25 yds. I even take it to 50 and 100 yds. You start seeing some drop at 50 (not much, but some) yds that is easily accommodated for. Keep in mind that I don't typically shoot from a rest. Shooting from a rest, you could probably measure some finite differences in POI within 25 yds, but at least for me, all of that is lost from a practical standpoint when ringing steel or bustin' clay pigeons from a standing postion.

I typically shoot Remington Thunderbolt (stays subsonic in pistols, not so in rifles) out of the pistols and CCI Standard Velocity out of rifles. I've shot a bunch of the CCI SV out of the pistols too, but I like the added juice of the higher velocity Thunderbolts out of the pistols while staying subsonic.

Thanks so much for the reply. I've got a T1 laying around and love "fun" guns like this - I will be buying one today. I'll get pics up once I get the X400V setup.

This might be an option.

I wish there was. Just the top and bottom rails with no sights unfortunately. I am looking for a coon gun (My G19 is just too "much") and this is perfect.

Rayrevolver
04-05-16, 11:54
Great thread (and timing, I am buying a Dead Air Mask).

I had a Ruger 22/45 in the past and will probably get either a Lite or the black threaded model. THAT SAID, I don't currently own any 1911s so maybe this is an opportunity to pick one up in 22.

Which 1911 clone is the one to get? ATI/Chiappa/GSG/Browning

EDIT: This looks nice but at $600...
http://www.browning.com/content/dam/browning/product/firearms/pistols/1911-22/1911-22-pre2016/Browning-1911-22-Black-Label-Suppressor-Ready-with-Rail-051820-3205.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

punkey71
04-05-16, 13:47
22/45 Lite, VQ sear, VQ hammer bushing, vortex razor red dot, Dead Air Mask. Very, very fun little 22 pistol.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/7a040e76a02d0266fa3829703a6bde58.jpg

Indeed it is.

Currently sporting a Spectre II but a Mask 22 and the new TBAC 22 Takedown are on the way.

Everyone who shoots it smiles. 8 to 80 - doesn't matter.

ETA - Volqaurtsen trigger, polished OEM sear and hammer. TandemKross kit as well. Sub 2lb trigger with VERY slight pre travel and basically nonexistent over-travel.

Auto-X Fil
04-08-16, 15:58
So my brother-in-law just surprised me with a Victory and VQ Carbon-wrapped barrel for my birthday! I was set on the Ruger, but this looks awesome! I'll mount up a Vortex dot and report back... So far so good. Trigger is real nice and it points well.

Jesse H
04-08-16, 21:16
I've got a buck mark with a mini bull barrel I had threaded, used with my sparrow.

My 22/45 has a bull barrel and always wanted it to be a host, never knew bull barrels can be threaded. Please tell me more.

czgunner
04-08-16, 21:17
My 22/45 has a bull barrel and always wanted it to be a host, never knew bull barrels can be threaded. Please tell me more.

I sent it out and had it threaded by Mr pixley at jpgrips.com. It turned out fantastic.

horseman234
04-10-16, 17:29
I would also take a look at the S&W 422. A suppressor will not interfere with the factory sites due to the low barrel orientation, and is easily modified. They are not made anymore, but can be found on Gunbroker. You will need to remove the barrel nut with a spanner wrench and screw on an adapter also sold on gunbroker. Here is one example:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551182950

And here is the adapter:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=552073152

Turnkey11
04-10-16, 19:36
There is a 22/45 threaded barrel with irons and no rails. This is the version I have.

This is what I have as well. I shouldve ordered the AAC Pilot 2 yesterday when it was $245, just placed the order and its $270 today...

Eurodriver
04-13-16, 14:27
JPB - you cost me a lot of money man.

I just got my 22/45 Mk III in today and put the T1 on it. Love this thing!

Will get pics up tomorrow

JPB
04-13-16, 21:41
JPB - you cost me a lot of money man.

I just got my 22/45 Mk III in today and put the T1 on it. Love this thing!

Will get pics up tomorrow

Lol. By the time you put the sight, the suppressor, and the light on it, the gun will be the cheapest part. Whatever you do don't go to the Volquartsen web site! That'll help bring the price of the gun up to relative equilibrium with the accessories.

My stock 22/45 will likely be getting a TacSol Paclite upper. Have a DA Mask in jail for it. What can are you going to put on yours?

Eurodriver
04-14-16, 10:57
I know, I already almost got sucked into buying the accurizing "kit" or whatever it is they sell. Sear, mag release, mag safety removal bushing, etc. But I thought for $125 I better shoot the gun first.

I've got a T1 and an X300V-B with an AAC Pilot 2 can.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/FullSizeRender%202_zpsqty1elte.jpg

Gonna shoot it this weekend and see how it does. Hopefully I don't have to spend anymore money.

July4th
04-14-16, 22:31
Those T1s work great on 22/45 Lites. Another option for those who can't justify the price of a T1 on a 22/45 is a Holosun HS503c, they run around $250.

I've already installed a HiViz FO front sight on my 2013 Lite and that made a big difference. Still can't decide on the can though. A company called PTP Tactical makes a .22WMR full auto rated can for around $250. A little over 5ozs with a 41db reduction. I've only mounted one at the LGS and not fired one so I can't attest to their quality.

JPB
04-14-16, 22:57
I know, I already almost got sucked into buying the accurizing "kit" or whatever it is they sell. Sear, mag release, mag safety removal bushing, etc. But I thought for $125 I better shoot the gun first.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/FullSizeRender%202_zpsqty1elte.jpg

Gonna shoot it this weekend and see how it does. Hopefully I don't have to spend anymore money.

Dude, you're gonna be so stoked with that set up that you're not gonna worry about upgrades for a while. I'm just at the point that I might chase a better trigger. I simply can't consume the .22LR fast enough...;)

Auto-X Fil
04-15-16, 05:09
I posted this in the Handguns section since it turned into a gun review more than a host discussion. This was totally not where I was planning on going with it, but the gun is just awesome. It shoots far better than I do.

http://ptmaynard.com/guns/IMG_6795.JPG

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182725-S-amp-W-SW22-Victory-Review

Rayrevolver
04-15-16, 07:00
If you are Glock guys, any reason to buy a whole new platform vice a 22LR upper like a threaded TacSol? Cost is about the same.

I am leaning heavily towards the Lite so the kids can have an easier time but then for me, it would be nice to shoot my G34 frame with a 22LR upper.

BuzzinSATX
04-15-16, 08:05

I like everything about that setup but scratching my head on the light...why a light on that rig? Curious...

plinkerr
04-15-16, 08:17
I like everything about that setup but scratching my head on the light...why a light on that rig? Curious...

Not sure why he has a light on his, but I have a very similar setup as my middle of the night critter getter and the light is a must. Makes it so that I can take care of pests around the house without waking the family.

Eurodriver
04-15-16, 13:00
I took it to the range today. My most favorite gun - EVER. What a freaking blast. I have pics I'll upload later, but I shot a quarter sized group at 12 yards firing almost as fast as I could. I zeroed for 25 yards and could hit a 2" circle all day long.

What bugged me was the rail my optic was mounted on came loose after about 150 rounds and ended my session. I came home and took it off and saw it was loctited from the factory, but I guess whatever Ruger uses as a torque spec isn't enough so I added more loctite and cranked it on there. Hopefully it stays put.

Because night vision is pretty bogus in a dark patch woods without IR illum.

punkey71
04-15-16, 13:09
If you are Glock guys, any reason to buy a whole new platform vice a 22LR upper like a threaded TacSol? Cost is about the same.

I am leaning heavily towards the Lite so the kids can have an easier time but then for me, it would be nice to shoot my G34 frame with a 22LR upper.
I had an Advantage Arms 22 upper for my G3, G17 and I couldn't get it to run reliably no matter what ammo I fed it.

I also didn't have the threaded barrel AA kit and I wanted to suppress it. Instead of chasing a threaded barrel and worrying about more eliability problems, I just dumped the upper and bought a 22/45 Lite.

I couldn't be happier with 22/45 Lite, dovetail mounted Vortex Venom and suppressor.

I did do some volquartsen trigger mods and some reliability mods recommended by folks that are all into 22/45s.

No regrets except for the fact that I have a ~$1,400 22 pistol!

As Euro said, its a riot so that $1,400 is just the cost of doing business, I guess.

BuzzinSATX
04-15-16, 13:11
Got it. Sounds like a great shooter. I have basically the same gun, but stock with fiber front sight. Just a fun gun to shoot.

Take Care,

Buzz

themonk
04-15-16, 13:35
I have had both the Ruger and a Buckmark, the Buckmark is by far the better gun. You can make the Ruger a nice gun but you will be dumping money into it and it was not as reliable as my Buckmark (sold the Ruger). The buckmark starts off as a great gun and its reliability is amazing. If you can get the one with a threaded barrel you are good to go out of the box - http://grabagun.com/browning-buckmark-mic-bull-sr-urx-22lr.html

Eurodriver
04-15-16, 15:11
I simply can't consume the .22LR fast enough...;)

Are there higher capacity magazines for these guns?

10 rounds goes by very fast and no matter how quickly I shoot I still hit what I'm aiming at...

...and that isn't a testament to my skill. The gun does everything for you!

This is 12 yards firing as fast as I could over 2 magazines. It is zeroed at 25 yards. I may do a 50yard zero to eliminate the hold over required at shorter distances.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5660_zpshwjviqde.jpg

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5662_zpszkpsuj50.jpg

And a neat little video I made

https://youtu.be/QMVshNbuqxA

punkey71
04-15-16, 15:30
Are there higher capacity magazines for these guns?

10 rounds goes by very fast and no matter how quickly I shoot I still hit what I'm aiming at...

...and that isn't a testament to my skill. The gun does everything for you!

This is 12 yards firing as fast as I could over 2 magazines. It is zeroed at 25 yards. I may do a 50yard zero to eliminate the hold over required at shorter distances.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5660_zpshwjviqde.jpg

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_5662_zpszkpsuj50.jpg

And a neat little video I made

https://youtu.be/QMVshNbuqxA

$9 to add 1 round. https://www.tandemkross.com/Plus1-PRO-Magazine-Bumper_p_12.html

I think the real advantage of it is the extended bumper makes magazine seating and removal easier.

This can give 12 or 13 rounds in conjunction with the above follower with the caveat to 13 being no last round lock back. http://www.makershot.com/ruger-advanced-kit

The video in the second link has decent info.

It's a fair amount of money for a 10-30% increase in capacity. Is buying more 10 round mags better? That's up to you.

punkey71
04-15-16, 15:33
FYI, if you want to see a bunch of good vids on Ruger 22/45s, search Lawson11B on YouTube. Pretty damn good vids in quality and content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nytcrawler93
04-16-16, 22:41
I finally shot my Nelson Custom conversion today. I let my 11 yr old shoot it at around 21ft. His target is on the left. His first time shooting more than one round. Mine are on the right from a little further out. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/451be2937b7a66f9398b827b318c7bbb.jpg

Nytcrawler93
04-16-16, 22:43
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/aa6aae8901c6dae2d5bb58dac8c2a677.jpg

themonk
04-17-16, 15:07
I would highly recomend picking up one of these as you can load a mag in 2 sec - http://amzn.to/1QgfvtZ

https://youtu.be/6wFM9YFbKak

Nytcrawler93
04-17-16, 15:50
I wonder if that works for the Nelson/Marvel mags....

SonOfAGunn
04-17-16, 17:00
For my 1st I picked up a S&W M&P 22 Compact. I liked that it's very reliable, easy to break down, and clean. Should have my Mask in a month or so, and have been checking out the Ruger 22/45's and the new S&W Victory. I'll probably breakdown and get one of them.

JPB
04-17-16, 18:35
I would highly recomend picking up one of these as you can load a mag in 2 sec - http://amzn.to/1QgfvtZ

Wow, that's curin' what's ailin' me... I had a similar deal from Butler Creek to load the Hot Lip mags, but it was a crank of sorts. The operation of that thing looks too clean. I'm gonna have to buy in...

JPB
04-17-16, 18:38
For my 1st I picked up a S&W M&P 22 Compact. I liked that it's very reliable, easy to break down, and clean. Should have my Mask in a month or so, and have been checking out the Ruger 22/45's and the new S&W Victory. I'll probably breakdown and get one of them.

I wouldn't mind trying some of the "clone" .22s, I'm just afraid of running into reliability issues. Browning makes a reduced scale 1911 that would be all kinds of fun, but it's kinda pricey and I know it wouldn't work as well as the Rugers.

Nytcrawler93
04-17-16, 18:46
If you already have a 1911, the Nelson is tough to beat.

SonOfAGunn
04-17-16, 21:43
I wouldn't mind trying some of the "clone" .22s, I'm just afraid of running into reliability issues. Browning makes a reduced scale 1911 that would be all kinds of fun, but it's kinda pricey and I know it wouldn't work as well as the Rugers.

I'd heard about reliability problems with the M&P .22, but was told by one of the guys at QRF that he had no problems with his .22 compact. That's one of the reasons I picked mine up. The M&P .22 Compact is made by Smith and Wesson and the M&P .22 is made by another company, not sure who it is. I found my M&P .22 Compact for $279 at gunbuyer.com and jumped on the deal. I've run Remington (bulk), Federal (bulk), CCI (Standard Velocity, and Mini Mag), and Winchester (Bulk) with no problems at all. I was impressed with it, I just wish it had a trigger like my Colt Huntsman.

JPB
04-17-16, 21:51
How much does it cost, and how many rounds do you got through yours? Also, how much do the mags cost? Is yours threaded, and have you run a can on it? I'm just nervous as most "conversion kits" seem to have spotty reliability.

JPB
04-17-16, 21:53
I'd heard about reliability problems with the M&P .22, but was told by one of the guys at QRF that he had no problems with his .22 compact. That's one of the reasons I picked mine up. The M&P .22 Compact is made by Smith and Wesson and the M&P .22 is made by another company, not sure who it is. I found my M&P .22 Compact for $279 at gunbuyer.com and jumped on the deal. I've run Remington (bulk), Federal (bulk), CCI (Standard Velocity, and Mini Mag), and Winchester (Bulk) with no problems at all. I was impressed with it, I just wish it had a trigger like my Colt Huntsman.

I do like that M&P Compact. Maye I'll give it a try. You shoot it with a can?

SonOfAGunn
04-17-16, 23:21
How much does it cost, and how many rounds do you got through yours? Also, how much do the mags cost? Is yours threaded, and have you run a can on it? I'm just nervous as most "conversion kits" seem to have spotty reliability.

This isn't a conversion kit, it's a gun built by smith and Wesson. It's bigger than the centerfire M&P Shield (sub-compacts), but slightly smaller than the center fire M&P compact.

They've got them in-stock at gunbuyer.com for $289. This is the "Threaded Barrel" version, same as what I bought. The barrel IS threaded, but will need an adapter and can be had for 20-25 bucks (I bought an EWK designed one). Smith and Wesson make one with a factory adaptor and that one's $335 at gunbuyer.com. The gun comes with 2 mags and I've found them for about 35 shipped (kinda pricey). I've yet to shoot it suppressed since I'm still waiting for my form 4 to go through, but it shouldn't be much longer if the wait time is consistent with my last 2. One of the guys at QRF uses the compact as a host and suggested it to me when I was shopping for a suppressor host. He told me that his is reliable, accurate, easy to breakdown to clean, and fun to shoot... That was enough for me. I've run about 400 rounds through it. I've cleaned it twice, the first time when I brought it home and the second about a 100 rounds ago.

I do like that M&P Compact. Maye I'll give it a try. You shoot it with a can?

I like it also and every time I go to the range since I've bought it I've shot it.

Nytcrawler93
04-18-16, 09:00
If you were asking about the Nelson, it is solid. I had one failure to lock back, one fail to feed, and a dud primer. The only issues I have ever heard of with them is 9mm Springfields need some tweaking.

Nytcrawler93
04-18-16, 09:02
Mags are 25 bucks, mine is threaded. Have a few hundred rounds out it but it is built extremely well. http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/store/index.php?pg=2&l=product_list&c=1

Nytcrawler93
04-18-16, 09:04
Also, the fiber optic site is NICE.

Shooterman017
04-18-16, 15:49
This thread came up and bit my wallet pretty hard today. Seemingly out of nowhere...

Thought about going for a setup like Euro has, but with a TLR4 and a T1 clone of some flavor. Then realized I'd rather have irons and a laser instead just because it'd be fun or whatever. Might take a whack at drilling and tapping the bottom of the barrel, and sticking a rail section on there to mount said TLR4. The model which I found in stock locally (10150) has provisions for a mount up top but isn't capable of mounting a light as the other (10149) is.

I think my stash of CCI Quiet is going to need to grow.

http://i.imgur.com/zib9ga8.jpg

Rayrevolver
04-18-16, 17:23
This thread came up and bit my wallet pretty hard today. Seemingly out of nowhere...

Might take a whack at drilling and tapping the bottom of the barrel, and sticking a rail section on there to mount said TLR4. The model which I found in stock locally (10150) has provisions for a mount up top but isn't capable of mounting a light as the other (10149) is.

I think my stash of CCI Quiet is going to need to grow.

This company was linked earlier with the magazine capacity parts. A cheap option but obviously less robust than the drill/tap.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Front-Rail-for-the-Ruger-MKII-MKIII-and-MKIII-2245_p_214.html

Technically you can shoot normal velocity ammo in these short barrel pistols and its still subsonic, no? I plan to shoot golden bullets in the pistols and subs in the FV-SR.

ICEMAN550
04-18-16, 17:38
This isn't a conversion kit, it's a gun built by smith and Wesson. It's bigger than the centerfire M&P Shield (sub-compacts), but slightly smaller than the center fire M&P compact.

They've got them in-stock at gunbuyer.com for $289. This is the "Threaded Barrel" version, same as what I bought. The barrel IS threaded, but will need an adapter and can be had for 20-25 bucks (I bought an EWK designed one). Smith and Wesson make one with a factory adaptor and that one's $335 at gunbuyer.com. The gun comes with 2 mags and I've found them for about 35 shipped (kinda pricey). I've yet to shoot it suppressed since I'm still waiting for my form 4 to go through, but it shouldn't be much longer if the wait time is consistent with my last 2. One of the guys at QRF uses the compact as a host and suggested it to me when I was shopping for a suppressor host. He told me that his is reliable, accurate, easy to breakdown to clean, and fun to shoot... That was enough for me. I've run about 400 rounds through it. I've cleaned it twice, the first time when I brought it home and the second about a 100 rounds ago.

I like it also and every time I go to the range since I've bought it I've shot it.

I also have an M&P 22 compact. I added a crimson trace rail laser that I had, but didn't know where I wanted to use it. I haven"t tried distance, but the laser was dead o at 50 feet. I was able to hit the bullseye over and over and even rapid fire put 10 rounds in a 2" group standing. I have about 1000 rounds through it and the only issue was a few rem thunderbolts that were 20 years old. CCI Mini mags, stingers, fed auto match , cci standard velocity and winchester super x have all been flawless. The first 600 rounds I just used the standard adjustable sights and was impressed by how accurate it is, but with the laser , I was having fun. I am sure it is accurate for much further, but my eyes are not as good as they were 10 years ago when shooting at 25 yards on a small target.

punkey71
04-18-16, 17:59
This company was linked earlier with the magazine capacity parts. A cheap option but obviously less robust than the drill/tap.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Front-Rail-for-the-Ruger-MKII-MKIII-and-MKIII-2245_p_214.html

Technically you can shoot normal velocity ammo in these short barrel pistols and its still subsonic, no? I plan to shoot golden bullets in the pistols and subs in the FV-SR.

Yes to the ammo.

All the ~1250fps "supersonic" ammo used in my 22/45 stays subsonic. Shooting alternating super sonic (Win M-22 1255 fps) VS subsonic (CCI Std VEL 1050fps) shows a slight volume increase but not unpleasant at all. Still very hearing safe with the can.

Save your subs for suppressed rifles, imo.

Shooterman017
04-18-16, 20:15
All the ~1250fps "supersonic" ammo used in my 22/45 stays subsonic. Shooting alternating super sonic (Win M-22 1255 fps) VS subsonic (CCI Std VEL 1050fps) shows a slight volume increase but not unpleasant at all. Still very hearing safe with the can.

This is what I've seen posted before elsewhere. I happened across another brick of Gemtech .22LR a month ago at the same shop I just got this MKIII from...it's listed at 1050fps I believe. In my Sig 522 depending on the surroundings it can have a little crack to it, but I'd be more concerned with the sound traveling and being a nuisance noise to neighbors than to my ears. I'll be playing around with a few varieties later this week when I get time to see what they all sound like.

xwray
04-19-16, 11:08
Thought I'd post a picture of mine. This one also came with a bottom rail which I removed 'cause I didn't see a real need for it at the time. I loathe plastic so I replaced the complete lower with a Voltquartsen aluminum unit with all the upgraded goodies already installed. The grip scales are take-offs from one of my other pistols on which I had installed a custom set. I haven't had an opportunity to get to the range yet but hope to rectify that soon...

Auto-X Fil
04-19-16, 12:02
Yes to the ammo.

My 6.5" barrel will crack with Federal bulk (spec 1260fps) on warm days. I am right around 1200fps 5' from the muzzle. CCI std velocity is about 960fps in my gun.

The CCI is a decent bit quieter and more accurate, so I stick with it unless hunting.

Eurodriver
04-19-16, 12:25
I concur with Autoxfil

The CCI SVs are noticably quieter than the Rem Thunderbolt and Minimags I have used.

punkey71
04-19-16, 14:29
My 6.5" barrel will crack with Federal bulk (spec 1260fps) on warm days. I am right around 1200fps 5' from the muzzle. CCI std velocity is about 960fps in my gun.

The CCI is a decent bit quieter and more accurate, so I stick with it unless hunting.

That 6.5" barrel really gets it moving - it's about 45% longer than the 22/45 so that obviously makes sense.

My 4.5" lite loses a lot more fps. M22 chronos ~1050 and CCI SV at ~875.

If your cracking once in a while using supers it certainly makes 100% sense to use SV.

If CCI SV was more readily available (and cheaper) I'd use it for everything but until it is I'm using whatever cheap supers I can find and saving SV for rifles.

The beauty of the 22/45 is that so far it eats everything.

Euro, get some CCI Quiet and hold the bolt closed. THAT is quiet. I think someone (TK maybe) is working on a bolt/spring kit so that a 22/45 will cycle CCI Quiet. Most certainly not an accurate load like the SVs but if your dispatching pests it's pretty impressive.

Eurodriver
04-19-16, 15:39
I have CCI quiets and I've used it with this pistol once just to test it, but I think the bolt still cycled a bit. Do you just hold it forward with your support hand or something? Getting rid of that bolt noise would certainly reduce the noise level...

punkey71
04-19-16, 15:53
I have CCI quiets and I've used it with this pistol once just to test it, but I think the bolt still cycled a bit. Do you just hold it forward with your support hand or something? Getting rid of that bolt noise would certainly reduce the noise level...

I just hold it with my thumb.

Not terribly practical for volume shooting but for a quick shot as quiet as possible, it works.

Shooterman017
05-06-16, 16:15
So pretty much everything I have shot through this gun (Gemtech, Remington Subsonics, CCI SV) sounds the same. It's splitting hairs to me trying to find a difference.

Drilled, tapped and affixed a Magpul MOE polymer rail section. TLR4 mounted and wearing some Magpul swag with about 5 minutes worth of dremel magic applied right behind the slide/bolt release. Shot it some more today and at first thought I was having mag issues, because it wasn't locking to the rear. Realized about halfway through that my thumb was riding the release and preventing it from locking back. Extractor seemed to be kind of weak at first but I'll give it another hundred rounds or so before I think about replacing it.

Definitely a fun gun.

http://i.imgur.com/XXX65JK.jpg

punkey71
05-06-16, 17:01
If you decide to drop some upgraded parts in, TandemKross sells a kit with a bunch of the most beneficial/popular.

https://www.tandemkross.com/High-Performance-Kit-for-Ruger-2245_p_185.html

The above kit and a VQ trigger give some nice features to an already nice pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rayrevolver
05-06-16, 18:07
Nice Ruger Shooterman.

Found a local deal on an almost new M&P22C (with a G26 for size):
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0504162049_zpsypmysomr.jpg

Found this Neumount solution as an affordable "ALG 6 Second Mount" but without a rail for a flashlight. I wanted to be able to mount directly like the ALG. We'll see how it fits on the 22C.
http://www.neumount.com/img/work/1/BarettaPX4.jpg

http://www.neumount.com/img/work/fwslider/Mount.Profiles.jpg

johnson
05-07-16, 07:18
I've got a CZ 75B SA with the Kadet conversion and it's tits. I also had a 22/45 LITE before and it was great if you wanted to add optics or a light. I'd get one again if they get rid of the stupid side cuts and came out with a plain 1" bull barrel version like the Pac-Lite uppers so it would match my 1" TBAC 22S-1.

http://i.imgur.com/CqHOKWF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vYRcYrU.jpg

JohnnyRambo
05-08-16, 12:04
Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory is a great new option. I have the new threaded barrel model and it's like a perfect mix between my two favorites the browning buckmark and the ruger 22/56 but is easier to take down than both of them (just one screw allows you to take it apart).

It comes with 2 10rd mags and a polymer picatinny rail with built in rear notch sight.

It's been very reliable so far (appx 600 rounds down the pipe) and cycles everything I have fed it.

And it also has factory fiber optic sight with adjustable rear for windage and elevation.

SonOfAGunn
05-09-16, 18:43
I was considering one of those CZ Kadet conversions for my P-01. I ended up with a S&W. I didn't know Kadets had such a good rep, down the road I'll probably breakdown and buy one.

I just got my Stamp for my Mask and I'm looking forward to shooting it this weekend!!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn22/gafatback/20160509_150827_zpsge0ush0c.jpg

HMM
05-09-16, 20:36

Mine has been 100% reliable with CCIs and even 20+ year old federal bulk. I love it, just wish I would have waited until the threaded barrel model was available before I bought mine. Hopefully I'll be able to find a drop in threaded barrel one day.

Rayrevolver
06-02-16, 20:52
I was considering one of those CZ Kadet conversions for my P-01. I ended up with a S&W. I didn't know Kadets had such a good rep, down the road I'll probably breakdown and buy one.

I just got my Stamp for my Mask and I'm looking forward to shooting it this weekend!!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn22/gafatback/20160509_150827_zpsge0ush0c.jpg

Any updates? I should have a Mask in hand in another 4 months.

Got the Neumount, fits great on 9mm Glocks and the M&P22 Compact, $80 shipped. No function checks yet. Just waiting for the FF3 to show up. The owner said you can order a custom version that direct mounts a T-1 for maybe $25 more.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0512162100_zpsacyleqoh.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0512162057_zpsvxoehqka.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0512162058_zps4bcdj89x.jpg

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/0512162101_zpsrttts6wc.jpg

SonOfAGunn
06-02-16, 22:07
Any updates? I should have a Mask in hand in another 4 months.

That mount looks pretty good on your M&P! You're gonna have it all tricked out.

The S&W M&P 22 compact worked flawlessly. I used 3 types of ammo, CCI Standard Velocity, American Eagle Suppressor .22LR, and Winchester Super X. The S&W liked the AE suppressor ammo the best, it had the tightest groups at 7-15 yards followed by CCI SV, and the Winchester was last. As far as sound goes, they all sounded pretty similar. I don't think I'll be using any subsonic ammo for my S&W anymore, I'll just save it for my rifle.

Blowback was an issue with the Winchester. It's supersonic (1435 FPS shown on the box) so I figured that was why. The gas wasn't an issue, it was the powder that hit me in the face. It surprised me when it first happened. Wasn't painful, just kind of annoying. Some you guys with Ruger 22/45's let me know if this is an issue with those when shooting suppressed. The other ammo didn't seem as bad at all.

The Mask did a fantastic job suppressing the sound. It shot so quietly I wasn't sure if the sub ammo was really loud in the first place. I removed the mask and squeezed off a round of AE sub. That wasn't the best idea but now there is no doubt that the Mask works, money well spent. It was quiet enough that I didn't think about shooting it wet till I was on my way home.

The Mask and 22 Compact are a really good combination. You're going to be happy Ray.

Craig_PHX
10-19-16, 16:31