PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Keep Your AR Ready?

Butch
03-27-16, 07:26
New guy with a couple billion questions. Please bear with me. The amount of attention this platform receives on the Web is overwhelming.

How do you keep your rifle ready?

1) Magazine inserted, round in chamber, on safe.

2) Magazine inserted, no round in chamber, weapon on fire.

Isn't number two referred to as "cruiser carry"?

Eurodriver
03-27-16, 07:50
0) Magazine inserted, round in chamber, on fire.

Just like my Glock

Ryno12
03-27-16, 07:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?166197-How-ready-is-your-HD-rifle

Eurodriver
03-27-16, 07:57
762NATO got banned?

Ryno12
03-27-16, 08:00
762NATO got banned?

Awhile ago. You didn't notice how "quiet" he's been?

Butch
03-27-16, 08:11
Dang! Not too sure about that one! LOL!

Just like my Glock

Butch
03-27-16, 08:13
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?166197-How-ready-is-your-HD-rifle

Great! More reading! Thanks for the link, which has more links... LOL! No such thing as an easy questions.

WaldoOneFive
03-27-16, 08:14
New guy with a couple billion questions. Please bear with me. The amount of attention this platform receives on the Web is overwhelming.

There are so many different variations depending on department as to what each ones calls it, however the majority and "well-known" definition of "Cruiser Ready" condition is: Magazine Inserted, NO round in Chamber, Safety ON (hammer cocked).

Departments then usually have a term for the "Magazine Inserted, Round in Chamber, Safety ON" as "Call Ready, Battle Ready.

Most SOP's regarding Patrol Rifle training, and Law Enforcement are focused around the whole "Safety ON" unless firing. Safety comes OFF to fire, back ON when complete.

Pat Rogers has explained how this muscle memory is good EXCEPT in "rushing to re-apply the safety" after an engagement. He points out that it is not wise to get the safety back ON when there still may be a threat and this needs to be taught better in training.

Ernst
03-27-16, 08:21

How do you keep your rifle ready?

1) Magazine inserted, round in chamber, on safe.

Can you describe the context for your question?

Are you carrying your AR in a law enforcement vehicle?
Military context?
Home defense/civilian? And if so, do you keep it in a safe? Or outside a gun safe?

Butch
03-27-16, 08:35
Home defense. Defense of my five acres. Both from intruders, people intent on doing me or my wife harm. The rifle will always be in the house unless I take it out to the yard for target practice. No kids. I want to have it at the ready as to use the rifle as my primary means of defense instead of a pistol. I have plenty of firearms and hunting experience, just new to the AR/semi-auto game.

ETA: Not law enforcement. Could not imagine a scenario in which I would want/need a rifle in the truck. I have spent years and a lot of money preparing my property so I can hunker down in a zombie apocalypse.

Can you describe the context for your question?

Are you carrying your AR in a law enforcement vehicle?
Military context?
Home defense/civilian? And if so, do you keep it in a safe? Or outside a gun safe?

Ernst
03-27-16, 08:49
Some people would advise you develop of never putting a magazine in a weapon without making it then ready to shoot. That way you will know immediately what condition your weapon is in without trying to guess.

See a mag in your weapon? It is ready to be taken off safe and shot.

No mag? Weapon clear and safe.

Butch
03-27-16, 09:04
Ug! More terminology. I was reading the links provided and lots of responses referring to condition 1 of some other. I quick Web search seemed to focus on the 1911. What are the condition levels for the AR?

So far I would be most comfortable muzzle up, magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt closed, safety on; whatever condition that is. I do not see any merit on having the bolt open. Frankly, that seems odd to me.

Mikill Drengr
03-27-16, 09:27
Home defense. Defense of my five acres. Both from intruders, people intent on doing me or my wife harm. The rifle will always be in the house unless I take it out to the yard for target practice. No kids. I want to have it at the ready as to use the rifle as my primary means of defense instead of a pistol. I have plenty of firearms and hunting experience, just new to the AR/semi-auto game.

ETA: Not law enforcement. Could not imagine a scenario in which I would want/need a rifle in the truck. I have spent years and a lot of money preparing my property so I can hunker down in a zombie apocalypse.
I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't want a carbine in my truck. Especially if I had a good size piece of land.

dbain99
03-27-16, 09:58
In my truck on the farm I have a mag loaded and inserted, chamber empty, dust cover closed, safety engaged.
If I had an AR as my go to inside the house with no kids, it would be with a loaded mag inserted, round chambered and safety engaged.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

quackhead
03-27-16, 10:09
How difficult is it to chamber a round when needed? Depending on how and where stored, I'd keep the chamber empty, bolt closed, and loaded mag in well

Eurodriver
03-27-16, 11:20
How difficult is it to chamber a round when needed? Depending on how and where stored, I'd keep the chamber empty, bolt closed, and loaded mag in well

Difficult? Define the context.

You live in an urban ghetto hoodlum jungle and you see six BLM bros in your driveway forcing themselves into your home. You grab your AR and immediately go into condition red - totally forgetting to rack the slide. So you're sitting there with tunnel vision as they pile in through the door and you are pulling the trigger but nothing is happening.

Likely? No. Possible? Definitely, especially for those of us who don't live on 60 acres of land out west.

No reason to ever go condition 3 unless your agency demands it.

HKGuns
03-27-16, 11:20
I'll preface this by saying this applies to my home. I'm not a LEO, nor do I play one on TV.

I keep all of my firearms, for the most part, magazine inserted, safety off, chamber empty. Obvious exceptions are bolt rifles, Garands, etc....that are typically empty in the safe.

I'm pretty certain there is no single, correct answer, there are a lot of individual circumstances that come into play. Anyone who claims there is a single correct answer is pretty much an idiot.

I do think that whichever you choose, you should be consistent in its application. But by all means do what you need to do based on your individual preferences and circumstances.

ETA: I'm not singling anyone out in this thread so don't take it personally. (I haven't even read all of the responses)

squid8286
03-27-16, 11:26

This is the condition mine is kept in.

AM-15
03-27-16, 11:28
Verify no round in chamber, engage safety, fully seat loaded magazine, close dust cover and store.

Clarence

titsonritz
03-27-16, 12:03

Just like my Glock

Glocks have passive safeties, ARs do not. No thanks.

My Glocks are loaded with a round in the chamber and holstered. My ARs are unchambered with a loaded mag, hammer down therefore safety off, dust cover closed and Aimpoint on.

Gunnar da Wolf
03-27-16, 12:16
Mine sits in a corner of my bedroom with 30 round magazine of 64gr bonded softpoints inserted, chamber empty, safety on, dust cover closed. Muzzle up with the Vortex prism sight turned off but the lens covers off. When I go to work it goes in a backpack without the magazine since I go to our range a couple times a week and frequently shoot a bit when time and opportunity allow. For me it doesn't make sense to repeatedly chamber and unload it when it's second nature to work the CH prior to shooting.

YMMV

Jwknutson17
03-27-16, 12:23

My Glocks are loaded with a round in the chamber and holstered. My ARs are unchambered with a loaded mag, hammer down therefore safety off, dust cover closed and Aimpoint on.

Exactly this for me.

Hmac
03-27-16, 12:29
I have three ARs. For home defense I keep them unloaded in the same safe that I keep my home-defense pistols. I do keep a full AR magazine and a full pistol magazine next to them.

cbx
03-27-16, 12:35
I'll agree with the others that there isn't a one method fits all.

Use conmon sense.

For those that need or want a chamber flag that acts as a charging handle for a mag in chamber empty storage, this would be your ticket.

https://youtu.be/BKYkar2BgAM

Flankenstein
03-27-16, 12:43

Korgs130
03-27-16, 13:05

Use conmon sense.

For those that need or want a chamber flag that acts as a charging handle for a mag in chamber empty storage, this would be your ticket.

Seems like a great product. Anyone have hands on experience with it?

26 Inf
03-27-16, 13:14

Use conmon sense.

Hornady lists them at 12.98 retail and them links you to a dealer locator. No guarantee they carry them. An internet search revealed most places advertizing them were out of stock or you could buy from optics planet and wait for them to ship.

I got turned onto these a couple years ago - pricey, but in all of my AR's -

http://www.warriortech.us/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=51

This is a new development - I just ordered one:

http://www.warriortech.us/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=59

Flankenstein
03-27-16, 13:24

Just like my Glock

That makes zero sense. And I'd imagine you're aware of the 3 passive safeties the Glock has that the AR does not.

How long could it possibly take you to flip the selector?

JoshNC
03-27-16, 13:33
I will preface this by saying that I have a very active 4 year old son. This has changed the way I carry and keep firearms in the home.

Consistency is key. Firearms are stored with magazines in place only when the magazine is loaded. Empty mags are removed from firearms and stored separately.

Autoloading rifles have hammers cocked, safety on, chamber empty, mag inserted.

Handguns stored with chamber loaded.

All firearms are stored in safes. Carry gun is stored in a Gunvault once I get home from work, allowing for quick access but away from my son's ability to get ahold of it.

By my own convention, if I grab a firearm with a magazine in place it is ready for use. By this convention, the pistol is immediately ready, the rifle needs to be charged and the safety disengaged. I don't deviate from this convention, which is the key to it working.

quackhead
03-27-16, 13:39
Difficult? Define the context.

You live in an urban ghetto hoodlum jungle and you see six BLM bros in your driveway forcing themselves into your home. You grab your AR and immediately go into condition red - totally forgetting to rack the slide. So you're sitting there with tunnel vision as they pile in through the door and you are pulling the trigger but nothing is happening.

Likely? No. Possible? Definitely, especially for those of us who don't live on 60 acres of land out west.

No reason to ever go condition 3 unless your agency demands it.

That is a training thing as well upon the "click". I have carried this platform in one form or another for work for the past 20 years. If it is in the trunk, back of truck- the camber is empty and loaded mag fully seated on closed bolt- this is a safety issue. If it with me for immediate use, it's fully loaded and safety on

I keep one at home- chamber empty, bolt closed, loaded mag seated. I do have loaded pistols stashed for immediate use. The passive safeties aren't there in the M4/AR rifle platform

If I have enough to time to grab my rifle, I have the 1.5 seconds it takes to chamber a round

Caduceus
03-27-16, 13:45

Glad this was asked/answered.

I have 2 kids, 3 and almost 1.

Magazine in, chamber empty, safety on. It WAS up on a shelf in the closet, way in the back. It's currently in the safe, unloaded.

Pistol is in a wall-mounted safe, empty mag/chamber, with the mag on the aforementioned shelf. It usually comes out at night onto the night stand. Mag in, chamber empty. At this age, even if they can get the gun, they're too weak to chamber the round (and too short to reach the top of the dresser).

My wife is pretty skittish about the "gun out" idea, though she isn't totally opposed to ownership.

It's really up to you. However, there was a post made a while ago saying that repeated chambering of the same round should be avoided. In other words, don't insert a round, eject it, re-insert. The floating firing pin apparently can compress the primer with repeated taps and make it fail to fire.

Mrgunsngear
03-27-16, 13:48
Round in the chamber, safety and Aimpoint on.

Vandal
03-27-16, 14:02
Full 30 round mag, one in the chamber, safety on and Aimpoint on. I have no kids so the AR stays out and ready at all times.

jackblack73
03-27-16, 14:13

Use conmon sense.

That's a clever idea. I don't personally have a need for it because I don't need a chamber flag at home and it's easy to just use the charging handle, but for where a chamber flag is beneficial it's a nice solution.

Scorpion
03-27-16, 15:38
Ug! More terminology. I was reading the links provided and lots of responses referring to condition 1 of some other. I quick Web search seemed to focus on the 1911. What are the condition levels for the AR?

So far I would be most comfortable muzzle up, magazine inserted, round in chamber, bolt closed, safety on; whatever condition that is. I do not see any merit on having the bolt open. Frankly, that seems odd to me.

You have Conditions 1, 2, 3, and 4.

1. Round in chamber, magazine inserted, weapon on safe, hammer cocked.
2. Round in chamber, magazine inserted, weapon on safe, hammer down.
3. No round in chamber, magazine inserted, weapon on safe.
4. No round in chamber, no magazine inserted, weapon on safe.

Condition 2 does not apply to an AR; it is impossible to drop the hammer on a round in the chamber without firing the AR, if it is functioning properly.

Butch
03-27-16, 15:43
Thank you Scorpion. Simple answer to a simple question. Got to keep it simple people! KISS always applies.

Mysteryman
03-27-16, 16:39
If you're not running with a round in the chamber it's because you're not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle. Kids in the home is a bit different, however having a rifle in condition three is no guarantee a child can't work the charge handle. Something like the wall safes or the sneaky shelf safe are good options for keeping the rifle condition one and out of reach of children, especially if they don't know it's even there.

MM

rcoodyar15
03-27-16, 18:31

well most of them are in the gun cabinet unloaded with the mags in the top drawer under them

the one in my du-ha gun rack under the back seat of my truck has no mag inserted but there are about 8 full mags sitting right beside it in the tray

my 45 is beside the bed when I am sleeping mag inserted no round in the chamber.

I really am not too worried about having to defend my property. But if someone is dumb enough to wake me up......

Ernst
03-27-16, 18:34
If you're not running with a round in the chamber it's because you're not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle.

That's quite an overstatement. Many of us choose not to keep our AR's chambered and on safe for a lot of different reasons, none of which have anything to do with a lack of confidence in our abilities or lack of understanding of the rifle's design.

rcoodyar15
03-27-16, 18:35
If you're not running with a round in the chamber it's because you're not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle. Kids in the home is a bit different, however having a rifle in condition three is no guarantee a child can't work the charge handle. Something like the wall safes or the sneaky shelf safe are good options for keeping the rifle condition one and out of reach of children, especially if they don't know it's even there.

MM

Mechanical systems can fail. I see no sense in taking unnecessary chances. that is why the cowboys only put 5 rounds in their six shooter.

an accident is much more likely than ever having to use that weapon to protect you and yours

well I guess it depends on where you live.

BuzzinSATX
03-27-16, 18:49

I'm also in this camp. I have two AR's and a Mossy 500, all have loaded magazines (yeah, the 12 gauge has a tube magazine...) with empty chambers, firing pins are forward, the safeties are off. All we need to go is rack in a round and go to work if needed.

Pilot1
03-27-16, 18:53
I've been keeping a G.I. M1 Carbine as an HD weapon along with my pistol. Round chambered, mag inserted, safety on. My AR is unloaded but full mags are close by, but not inserted.

Eurodriver
03-27-16, 18:57
That's quite an overstatement. Many of us choose not to keep our AR's chambered and on safe for a lot of different reasons, none of which have anything to do with a lack of confidence in our abilities or lack of understanding of the rifle's design.

Then what reasons do you give?

Because I wouldn't bother having an AR at the ready if a round wasn't in the chamber.

Airhasz
03-27-16, 19:39

Because I wouldn't bother having an AR at the ready if a round wasn't in the chamber.

To put fear into the heart of the perpetrator hearing the bolt drive a round into the chamber of course.;)

JulyAZ
03-27-16, 19:44
Mag load, hammer down, safety on, empty chamber.

26 Inf
03-27-16, 20:01

Well, as airhasz said, there is that old hairy dog 'rack a round into the chamber, it'll freeze them in their tracks.'

Realistically, for me it is because of carrying weapons in vehicle racks. I'm a big advocate of the ejectable safe chamber indicators for patrol use. Saves a lot of time, allows for a quick glance to check chamber status.

At home, well it is a matter of continuity. I use the ejectable safe chamber indicators so I know for sure. I move guns from ready to the safe all the time - if I leave home for the day the weapon goes in the safe, I am not going to be clearing chambers every time I do that, I am not going to put myself in the position of even inadvertantly looking down the muzzle of a loaded AR while I'm putting it in the safe - I get enough loaded guns aimed at me while I'm at work, not going to do it at home.

I have a lot more confidence in most mechanical objects than I have in the people that operate them, including myself.

HaydenB
03-27-16, 20:02
Round in the chamber, loaded mag, on safe, aimpoint on (if applicable). Unless I'm dry fire training or doing maintenance/cleaning.

Koshinn
03-27-16, 20:24
Why do some people store their ARs hammer down and on fire? Kind of removes the point of a safety?

trauma
03-27-16, 20:26
If I lived on property in the middle of nowhere my chamber would be full of go juice and my GSD has been trained to bite testicles off.

Uprange41
03-27-16, 20:30
Round chambered, safety on, muzzle-down.

Glocks are also regularly used in positions where they could be dropped, which would very likely cause them to fire if they didn't have those passive safeties.

HD AR's are not. If you drop your HD rifle and cause it to fire, you have no one to blame but yourself.

There's plenty of argument to be made for storing a patrol rifle or other generally-mobile rifle without a round in the chamber, but we're talking about guns whose primary role is to sit against a wall or in a safe until they're used.

BuzzinSATX
03-27-16, 20:34

For me, it's a couple reasons/conditions. First, my long guns are stored in a safe butt stock down, vertical grip facing out. Just too easy to slip up trying to grab in the heat of the minute trying to put it into action. Also, I'm not alone in the house, and my wife prefers them stored this way, pretty much for the same reason.

May not work for everyone....heck, it might not work for me if it comes down to ending it, but it is what it is, and the Glocks are always loaded...

Ernst
03-27-16, 21:26

I keep my AR "ready" by having it well maintained, well lubricated and ready to pull out the gun safe and use by grabbing a loaded mag (28 rounds in 30 round magazine). I insert the mag, charge it, safe it and sling it over my body. And it is ready to go.

Others may choose to use their AR rifles however they wish.

To suggest that anyone who does not have the AR chambered and on safe is "not confidence" or "does not understand" the rifle is simply put, ridiculous.

Zane1844
03-27-16, 21:34
Mag inserted, round in chamber, on safe. I train to always disengage the safety when bringing the gun up.

For those who shoot their HD often- like I do- what do you do with that chambered round? If you use OTM's or bonded soft points, it gets expensive to be using a new round after a couple chamberings.

ZGXtreme
03-27-16, 21:52
If I were in the position where my rifle was stored for defensive purposes I'd have it Condition 1.

I keep it on Condition 3 however due to muscle memory given that's how it's carried at work and what I've trained to work with.

SavageBrew84
03-27-16, 22:43
Why do some people store their ARs hammer down and on fire? Kind of removes the point of a safety?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can physically actuate the safety when the hammer is down, at least in the AR platform. Which makes me think that there are some typos in this thread for the ones that said they store them as such. As for me, I prefer the weapons I'll potentially have to use with a loaded chamber and the safety on.

Scrubber3
03-27-16, 22:46
Obviously, it's best to keep it as ready as you and your circumstances dictate. You'll never get a solid agreement from everyone as a whole, but I'll bet my nose they'll all agree to keeping it as ready as you see fit. Only you can decide that.

Benito
03-27-16, 22:51
I keep my AR disassembled down to the last spring, pin and screw, trigger locked (well, the trigger area of the lower, that is, as the trigger is disassembled) in a safe, with the combination (that I do not know) in a safety deposit box at a bank . It's for the safety of the chilrun.

Livefreeordie92
03-27-16, 22:55
Round in the chamber selector on safe. Comp M4 on buis flipped down. Loaded with 75 gr TAP.

SavageBrew84
03-27-16, 23:25
That's correct, you can't actuate the safety with the hammer down.

But if the point is to have a safe weapon, isn't it counter intuitive to have your weapon on fire?

I agree, once you charge the rifle in that condition, it's hot w/o the safety on immediately as opposed to loading with the hammer already cocked with the safety on. I know where MY preference lies but to each their own I suppose.

williejc
03-27-16, 23:28
I keep home defense shotguns loaded but chamber empty. Action has been dry fired, and safety is on. My AR has a loaded 20 rd mag with empty chamber, action dry-fired. I'm comfortable with this arrangement. Condition 1 Glocks are always in a holster. If in a pouch, the chamber is empty. Why? Condition 1 Glocks scare me if not holstered, and it's got zero to do with self confidence. If you or the next guy keeps his Glock out around me in condition 1, you or he scares me too, and I'll leave the premises.

Iraqgunz
03-27-16, 23:46
This thread is why we can't have nice things. The topic has been covered multiple times, in multiple ways. I keep all of my AR's stored the same way all the time. Including the one in the bathroom and livingroom. I also do not have kids running around or rampant people popping in unannounced.

Empty chamber, hammer forward, loaded magazine, weapon on fire. If I need to use it, I grab it, loaded a round and stand by. It has nothing to do with competence, confidence or anything else. I don't use cheap ammo in my guns. They are usually loaded with Hornady TAP T2 or 77gr. OTM. Those rounds are expensive. Repeatedly chambering a round over and over is bad for the primer and for the cartridge rim.

jackblack73
03-28-16, 00:19
I'm single and live alone, so I'm constantly fiddling with guns. Since I don't want to constantly be chambering and ejecting rounds, and I want to keep the chance of an accidental discharge low, I keep my guns unloaded. However, I have mags for several different guns stashed in my nightstand and other locations. I also use a door brace on my front door and my bedroom door at night since a door can be kicked-in in a second or two. It won't keep someone out, but they're pretty effective and it will significantly slow someone down. I just need to buy some time.

Butch
03-28-16, 05:04
From a new guy perspective, this has been a good read. The final answer to the question, "How do you keep your AR ready" is both personal and specific as we all have different expectations and realities. There is no right or wrong. It's been interesting for me to read all of the different ways everyone keeps their rifle at the ready and why. For me, I'll keep mine muzzle up, magazine in, round chambered, safety on, dust cover closed. No optics as of yet.

If I have to unload the round in the chamber, I'll do what I do with my pistols, throw it in a box and shoot it as range fodder. I always found this to be a good way to rotate my carry ammo.

Thanks for all the responses.

Springfield
03-28-16, 05:37
I keep my primary AR with a loaded mag inserted, selector on safe, chamber empty. Pistols are kept with a loaded mag, round chambered (safety on if 1911). Spare mags for both, paddle holster and flashlight nearby. I train to smack the mag to ensure it is seated, chamber a round, double check safety, and sling up.

My patrol rifle, duty pistol, and BUG are kept in the same condition while working and it is only logical to be consistent. I don't feel the need to keep a round chambered in my rifle at all times as there is always a loaded pistol at hand if I need something right that second. It is a personal choice and there are a lot of options out there. I don't have kids so what works for me may not work for you.

henschman
03-28-16, 06:03
I keep mine mag and chamber loaded with safety on, muzzle down so as to be easier to grab in the dark, Aimpoint on. I don't like the idea of having to rack the charging handle in the event of an intrusion because I don't want to make noise and give away my position.

26 Inf
03-28-16, 13:08

The safety won't go 'on' with the hammer down. Some folks used to advocate storing shotguns with the hammer down/fired to reduce wear on the hammer spring and get it into action quicker.

Pretty sure it is easier, although not noticeably so, to cycle an AR with the hammer cocked.

rcoodyar15
03-28-16, 13:49
I keep mine mag and chamber loaded with safety on, muzzle down so as to be easier to grab in the dark, Aimpoint on. I don't like the idea of having to rack the charging handle in the event of an intrusion because I don't want to make noise and give away my position.

that snick snick sound of a round going into the chamber just might save you from having to kill someone and the aftermath that soon follows.

Hmac
03-28-16, 13:53
that snick snick sound of a round going into the chamber just might save you from having to kill someone and the aftermath that soon follows.

Or might cause you to give up your advantage and get killed?

crusader377
03-28-16, 14:08
Rifle is locked in safe, no magazine, bolt forward, weapon on safe, but I have access to a magazine in the safe on top shelf. Have two kids so I error on safety.

fhk96
03-28-16, 14:18
AKM: Loaded mag, empty chamber, safety off.

Ernst
03-28-16, 15:03
Including the one in the bathroom...

Wowzers, a bathroom AR??

Any special water-proofing?

:)

Koshinn
03-28-16, 15:15
Wowzers, a bathroom AR??

It's a rubber ducky for when he takes a bath.

SteveL
03-28-16, 15:26
Loaded magazine, empty chamber, bolt forward, safety on.

Ernst
03-28-16, 16:21
where did you receive training that said this was the proper way to store an AR for SD/HD use?

Paul

I second that question...inquiring minds want to know.

Iraqgunz
03-28-16, 16:23
If you want to contribute in a smart way please feel free. If you want to act like a child do so elsewhere.

Wowzers, a bathroom AR??

Ernst
03-28-16, 16:39
I apologize if my attempt at a bit of humor offended you. It was not my intention.

JC5188
03-28-16, 17:55

+1.

If the AR is "on duty", it's Full mag, one in the pipe, muzzle down. This is so I can get her "safe and hangin" if it's called for. In this manner, I don't have to worry about excess oil running down into the RE, it stays on the parts that get hot.

Typically however, I rely on the M&P in the nightstand for HD. Just what I'm used to.

scootrocka51
03-28-16, 18:34
I made a special vault that goes under the rear seat of my Silverado for transport. Sling and suppressor attached, 3 mags stored inside of clip on belt pouches in there too.

titsonritz
03-28-16, 21:32
If you're not running with a round in the chamber it's because you're not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle.

That is an asinine statement. Read the quote below and get back to us.

This thread is why we can't have nice things. The topic has been covered multiple times, in multiple ways. I keep all of my AR's stored the same way all the time. Including the one in the bathroom and livingroom. I also do not have kids running around or rampant people popping in unannounced.

Empty chamber, hammer forward, loaded magazine, weapon on fire. If I need to use it, I grab it, loaded a round and stand by. It has nothing to do with competence, confidence or anything else. I don't use cheap ammo in my guns. They are usually loaded with Hornady TAP T2 or 77gr. OTM. Those rounds are expensive. Repeatedly chambering a round over and over is bad for the primer and for the cartridge rim.

Glocks are also regularly used in positions where they could be dropped, which would very likely cause them to fire if they didn't have those passive safeties.

HD AR's are not. If you drop your HD rifle and cause it to fire, you have no one to blame but yourself.

There's plenty of argument to be made for storing a patrol rifle or other generally-mobile rifle without a round in the chamber, but we're talking about guns whose primary role is to sit against a wall or in a safe until they're used.

I cannot envision a scenario where it appropriate to have an AR with a loaded chamber and the safety off unless it is in my hands and I ready to use it, thus the passive safety/Glock comparison.

I have cats, dogs and other animals that can easily knock over a rifle. I also move them around a few times though out the day. The potential for a gun to slide or drop is there.

Ernst
03-28-16, 21:46
I truly hope nobody reading this discussion actually take the advice of the person suggesting ARs should be kept chambered with the safety off.

Uprange41
03-28-16, 21:48
I cannot envision a scenario where it appropriate to have an AR with a loaded chamber and the safety off unless it is in my hands and I ready to use it, thus the passive safety/Glock comparison.

I have cats, dogs and other animals that can easily knock over a rifle. I also move them around a few times though out the day. The potential for a gun to slide or drop is there.
I assumed the safety being on was a given if the rifle is chambered.

In any case, if there's the potential for your rifles to be out of anyone else's control, do what make sense. Having pets roaming around is a very valid point for keeping an empty chamber. I'm not in the "there's no time to chamber" camp, I personally just don't have the same considerations of anyone but myself moving or bumping the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
03-28-16, 22:24

Read the quote in post #20

daddyusmaximus
03-28-16, 22:30
Magazine loaded, empty chamber, safety off. Charge and go.

Uprange41
03-28-16, 22:37
Read the quote in post #20

Ah, I gotcha.

I completely glossed over that. The Glock comparison makes sense now.

titsonritz
03-28-16, 22:40
I thought it might.

MountainRaven
03-29-16, 01:20

If the hammer is down, the safety cannot be operated. If you pick up a rifle and attempt to operate the safety and it doesn't move from the Fire position, it is probably safe to assume that no one has been handling it in your absence. Ditto the closed dust cover. And AKs, you can either look through the safety if you have a Krebs and see the hammer down or you can swing the safety off to check the position of the hammer.

Or might cause you to give up your advantage and get killed?

You communicate with 911 telepathically? Because they'll probably hear you on the phone, too. Hell, they'll probably hear you jabbering with your kids and your SO, in addition to your jabbering with 911, so they'll know where you are and a rough estimate of how many of you there are.

In any case, if there's the potential for your rifles to be out of anyone else's control, do what make sense. Having pets roaming around is a very valid point for keeping an empty chamber. I'm not in the "there's no time to chamber" camp, I personally just don't have the same considerations of anyone but myself moving or bumping the rifle.

I have a handgun in the event that there's "no time to chamber". Frankly, most of the time, it's going to be much faster for me to just pull the handgun I'm wearing if time is a factor than it is for me to run to where ever I have the rifle. And the amount of time that it takes to charge the rifle doesn't really factor in for me in any realistic scenario.

If someone is trying to break into my home in the middle of the night, it's going to take time for me to wake up. Time that can be spent fetching the long gun and charging it. Time in which I may realize that the sounds that I'm hearing are actually my roommate having really loud sex with his girlfriend.

The only time I can think of that it would be completely beneficial to having a round chambered is if I'm carrying the rifle and someone intending harm kicks down the door or flies through the window. Something that frankly is not bloody likely for any of us.

Fluffy Bunny
03-29-16, 03:00
For me it is full magazine in, chamber empty, on safe. I believe this is best given my circumstances. If I lived alone I would go loaded chamber, full mag, on safe.

Koshinn
03-29-16, 07:47
If the hammer is down, the safety cannot be operated. If you pick up a rifle and attempt to operate the safety and it doesn't move from the Fire position, it is probably safe to assume that no one has been handling it in your absence. Ditto the closed dust cover. And AKs, you can either look through the safety if you have a Krebs and see the hammer down or you can swing the safety off to check the position of the hammer.

Well yeah, I know that. I guess the emphasis should be, why do you hammer down at all?

pinzgauer
03-29-16, 08:30
Repeatedly chambering a round over and over is bad for the primer and for the cartridge rim.

You beat me to it... There is also the risk of bullet setback, especially in pistols. And primer dents in ARs, deformed hollow points, etc.

I've never seen a problem from primer dents. Have seen deformed HPs and bullet setback.

bzdog
03-29-16, 11:04
One thing to consider is a round in the chamber is much more dangerous in case of cook-off in case your house burns down. With that in consideration, I don't leave firearms in the safe with rounds chambered.

So for me, mag inserted, no round in chamber. Charge and go if needed.

But in reality, anything not on your person, like the stuff in the safe is secondary defense.

-john

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MegademiC
03-29-16, 12:15
I don't shoot or handle my ar much anymore so I keep it chambered, next to my bed. When I leave, it goes in the safe as-is. I have it positioned at night so I don't need to move anything but my arm to use it.

When I used to handle it often, it was empty chamber, safety off, hammer down. The ak is like this at all times, but stays in the safe unless i take the ar and the girl is home.

We don't have children, just pets.

Eurodriver
03-29-16, 13:22
You beat me to it... There is also the risk of bullet setback, especially in pistols. And primer dents in ARs, deformed hollow points, etc.

I've never seen a problem from primer dents. Have seen deformed HPs and bullet setback.

But why are people loading and unloading their firearms so often?

Just go shoot that round off in the backyard if you're worried about it. We all have suppressors, right?

titsonritz
03-29-16, 13:38

Just go shoot that round off in the backyard if you're worried about it. We all have suppressors, right?

Crazy Joe B. is that you?

26 Inf
03-29-16, 14:11

Euro - you do understand the 3 on the back of .223 makes a difference, correct?

Koshinn
03-29-16, 14:22
Euro - you do understand the 3 on the back of .223 makes a difference, correct?

Maybe he has a gigantic "back yard" lol

Berserkr556
03-29-16, 15:29
My HD (Home Defense) AR has one in the chamber and 29 in the mag, safety off. She's loaded with Speer LE 64gr. Gold Dot. I use to have 75gr TAP but the Speer shoots better in this AR. The carbine I carry in my car or truck is done so according to OHIO law but if I needed it I've practiced enough that I can get her ready with a quickness. That's the best I can do.

titsonritz
03-29-16, 15:39
My HD (Home Defense) AR has one in the chamber and 29 in the mag, safety off. She's loaded with Speer LE 64gr. Gold Dot. I use to have 75gr TAP but the Speer shoots better in this AR. The carbine I carry in my car or truck is done so according to OHIO law but if I needed it I've practiced enough that I can get her ready with a quickness. That's the best I can do.

I understand why some have a round chambered with the safety on, but I don't get leaving the safety off on a live round unless the weapon is in hand ready to rock.

Doc Safari
03-29-16, 15:40

I could have written this word-for-word. I don't chamber a round for the reasons listed above, plus the fact that repeatedly chambering a round might eventually force the bullet further into the case (I have seen this happen but I don't remember the brand of ammo).

Berserkr556
03-29-16, 15:47
I understand why some have a round chambered with the safety on, but I don't get leaving the safety off on a live round unless the weapon is in hand ready to rock.

No children and firearms just don't fire by themselves. Seeing how you won't ever be in my home you have nothing to worry about.

BangBang77
03-29-16, 15:49
I have a couple of various scenarios that dictate how my AR is stored, although the condition remains the same.

I have 3 grandsons, from age 15mos to 7yrs. Anytime they are at the house, everything except the G17 on my hip goes in the safe. My go-to AR has a mag inserted, chamber empty, safety on. I am a Reserve Deputy in my small county and "cruiser ready" is Dept Policy so that's how I roll in my POV as well. If the need arises where the AR is necessary, I immediately charge it upon removing it from the rack of my patrol car or the back seat of my Tundra. The time it takes to charge the rifle is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

rushca01
03-29-16, 15:55
Loaded magazine (28 rounds), empty chamber hammer down.

titsonritz
03-29-16, 16:07
No children and firearms just don't fire by themselves. Seeing how you won't ever be in my home you have nothing to worry about.

No worries here.

Stengun
03-29-16, 16:17
Howdy,

Loaded magazine (28 rounds), empty chamber hammer down.

That's how I keep mine if I have one out for SD/HD except round #23 is a tracer so "if" Inever have to shoot that much I'll know I only have 5 rounds left in the mag.

I usually use a Win 1300 Defender 12ga pump for home defense.

Plus I have a monitored alarm system with motion sensors outside that will go off if anything bigger than a cat comes within 30' of the house or enters the driveway. ( The dang deer set it off all the time.) It is cellular connected and has a battery backup system that will last for seven days so there isn't any wires to cut.

Even with being in rural Arkansas it usually takes the LEOs less than 5 minutes to get to my house.

Paul

ajacobs
03-29-16, 21:22
Of my couple dozen ar's I have one kind of near the bedroom and I think in the garage I might have a loaded mag.

The rest of my 500 mags or so aren't loaded.

So no magazine in, hammer down safety off. I don't really keep any gun ready in case or a immediate need, AR or otherwise.

MountainRaven
03-29-16, 22:18
Well yeah, I know that. I guess the emphasis should be, why do you hammer down at all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDtabTufxao

More serious: Why not?

THEOZZ
03-30-16, 00:15
I store mine in the safe. Loaded mag, empty chamber, safety off. I have a handgun in a quick access safe by my bed side. I have a Grandson so I never leave anything in the open.

di11igaf
03-30-16, 02:20
Some people would advise you develop of never putting a magazine in a weapon without making it then ready to shoot. That way you will know immediately what condition your weapon is in without trying to guess.

See a mag in your weapon? It is ready to be taken off safe and shot.

No mag? Weapon clear and safe.

I pretty much agree. My 14.5 bcm is my bedside gun, but every AR and pistol in my safe is loaded with one chambered. All except my bolt gun. My wife also has a bedside gun, but I like knowing if she grabs something from the safe out of desperation it will be ready.

Chiral
03-30-16, 06:56
Sionics patrol xl in safe, Aimpoint h1 on, sure fire x300u mounted at 12oclock, 20 rnd magazine in (Hornady TAP I think or cbc 77gr mk262 clone), hammer down safety off. Young kids in the house so every gun is in the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Koshinn
03-30-16, 08:09
More serious: Why not?

In my opinion, a few reasons.

1) I want to trust my safety. If it's on fire, I want it to be ready to shoot. If it's on safe, I want it to not be able to shoot. If it's on fire but the hammer is down on an empty chamber, that makes things inconsistent. I don't want to have to think about things when time is in short supply but badguys are not.

2) The idea of relieving spring pressure to save spring life has been debunked time and again.

3) Many people hammer-down to be sure the chamber is empty. If it's empty, it doesn't matter if you're hammer down or up for this purpose. If the chamber was not empty, you have just ND'd in your home when hammer-downing. If you don't hammer-down, you haven't ND'd. But if you're not in the habit of randomly pulling your trigger for no reason, you won't ND.

4) Not all ARs are prevented from being put on safe with hammer down. I don't own a 416, but they can be put on safe when the hammer is down... leading to more confusion.

5) With a tiny bit of training, it's not slower to actuate the safety from safe to fire when deploying an AR. I'm not saying anyone is convinced by this argument alone, but I can see it being made.

IMO, none of these by themselves are convincing arguments, but together I think they're convincing enough.

I actually use this: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/training-safety-gear/chamber-safety-flags/saf-t-round-prod1609.aspx
It's a bright orange plastic chamber flag with a brass head on the back, meaning it can/will be ejected when you use your CH. It's a glaringly obvious indicator that your chamber is empty and is no slower to deploy than hammer down on empty chamber, but you avoid possible NDs. The down side is that the dust cover is open. But this is a home defense weapon, not a weapon that's supposed to be exposed to the elements every day.

HeruMew
03-30-16, 08:28
Due to four legged fiends, 'Yotes after mah Chickens, I usually place mine close by when I sleep. Bolt open, unloaded with a mag within inches.

Nowadays, with all the "Yipping-Drills" I do, and have done, I don't have much issue getting awake and one in the chamber pretty quick.

Granted, I am also a young guy in his lower twenties with just himself and a girlfriend to deal with.

When we have our own youngins, things will have to change, but until then; my current method works pretty well.

During the day, I re case it, unloaded with open chamber, keep 4 loaded mags, spoon and 3 clips in the last pouch, and store it out of sight but still within quick access. It's not the fastest access, but considering my carry status during the day, it's not my primary go-to-end-all anyways.

ColtSeavers
03-30-16, 09:16
Empty chamber, bolt closed, hammer down, safety off and a 20rd mag of fusion in magwell.

Mysteryman
03-30-16, 16:34
That is an asinine statement. Read the quote below and get back to us.

It's not an asinine statement. Re chambering rounds is a poor practice, so shoot the ammo on occasion. If it's too expensive to replace then adjust your lifestyle to free up some cash for ammo. It's only your life we're talking about. In addition to that I have to ask the same question eurodriver did, why are you people constantly loading and unloading your guns? Make it ready and leave it alone.

In response to inebriated's quote, Glocks cannot fire regardless of whether or not the passive safeties are there. It's a DAO system.

MM

titsonritz
03-30-16, 17:08
It's not an asinine statement. Re chambering rounds is a poor practice, so shoot the ammo on occasion. If it's too expensive to replace then adjust your lifestyle to free up some cash for ammo. It's only your life we're talking about. In addition to that I have to ask the same question eurodriver did, why are you people constantly loading and unloading your guns? Make it ready and leave it alone.

In response to inebriated's quote, Glocks cannot fire regardless of whether or not the passive safeties are there. It's a DAO system.

MM

The asinine part is not the chambered round mode part, it is the insinuation that those who do not are "not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle" part.

Iraqgunz
03-30-16, 18:00
Well for some of us, its because we also use them for training and demonstration purposes which requires them to be cleared and safe.

MM

quackhead
03-30-16, 18:10

MM

Sometimes that have to be loaded and then cleared- those of us that carry rifles for a living need to have them empty for vehicle storage, admin purposes..... Chambered rounds get recycled for training

ICEMAN550
03-30-16, 19:44

This is what I do. My rifles are in the safe, but I have two speed vault safes. One has a glock 21 with tlr-1hl the other has a colt 38 special. I do have kids, but they understand and train a little with 22 rifles/handguns. The 38 is loaded with standard pressure 158 lswc. I live in the suburbs with neighbors nearby and crime is low here. I have my body armor /carrier loaded with my duty weapon mags 9mm and AR pmags. If I lived in the country, maybe I would change things up. My rifles are'nt "battle ready", but I can get it there fast if it came down to it. Like everything we do , we make compromises based on our own personal situations.

docsherm
03-30-16, 20:11
I had the complete misfortune to have enough free time to read all of this thread....... Do you know what I DIDN'T see in any post? I have my AR like this because this is how I was trained to have it. However you were trained to use it keep it that way.

I know a former Mossad guy that carries Hi Power without a round in the chamber and safety off. I asked him why, he said because that is the way he trained for years. He could draw it and put get rounds on target faster then most people I have seen with a Glock with around in the chamber.

Fight like you train and train like you fight.

Stengun
03-31-16, 00:10
Howdy,

I had the complete misfortune to have enough free time to read all of this thread....... Do you know what I DIDN'T see in any post? I have my AR like this because this is how I was trained to have it. However you were trained to use it keep it that way.

I know a former Mossad guy that carries Hi Power without a round in the chamber and safety off. I asked him why, he said because that is the way he trained for years. He could draw it and put get rounds on target faster then most people I have seen with a Glock with around in the chamber.

Fight like you train and train like you fight.

That's standard for the military, especially in the USA. I've stood flightline security, gate guard and silo security with a M-16 with a loaded mag and an empty chamber. Same thing with a 1911A1, and Rem 870. The only thing nice I could say about carrying a S&W Model 15 or 36/60 .38 Special was that it was loaded and all I needed to do it pull the trigger.

Most of us practiced drawing a 1911 and racking the slide to chamber a round as part of our draw. It's not much slower than trying to thumb off the safety or cock the hammer as long as you have both hands free.

One handed? Well, that can be a problem.

Paul

lt211
03-31-16, 06:57
Also known as “patrol car ready” or “cruiser ready.” The bolt is forward/closed on an empty chamber. The safety is “ON”
(which requires the hammer to be cocked) and the dust cover is closed, full magazine inserted. I NEVER chamber a round in my home (not a good practice)or out unless I have reason to. The chambered round goes right into a range only bag once chambered. I don't know why you would have the hammer down with the safety off? goes against all that I have learned... no dis intended just not getting it.
Below is from a Police Department's Patrol Rifle Training Course, but I do agree with it:

There is a misconception that patrol rifles should be stored with the bolts closed and hammers
down or uncocked in order to relax the hammer spring. This is not true, and dangerous as it
is foreseeable that a negligent discharge could occur with any mandatory dropping of
hammers onto a supposedly “empty” chamber!! This myth has made its way into LE by way of
officers who had prior military experience. Our military has had a need to store firearms long term,
sometimes for decades at a time, and some of these old weapon designs incorporate out-dated
spring technology where compressed springs could become weakened. Modern spring technology
reveals that springs are not harmed by just being compressed but begin to wear when constantly
being worked by compression and relaxation. What little damage is done to AR hammer springs
comes from cocking/uncocking such as firing or bolt manipulation not by leaving hammers cocked.
When the hammer is not cocked or “relaxed”, the safety lever cannot be put on “safe” and this is
never an appropriate safety lever position for a LE patrol rifle unless the officer is intentionally
firing the patrol rifle.
I do agree with this and this is my departments policy as well.
PS: I am VERY confident with the AR/M4 platform.
Bob

Watrdawg
03-31-16, 07:27
I keep mine with a loaded mag, empty chamber, hammer down and my Aimpoint on. I started keeping my AR this way because of my young kids at the time. Even though they are grown now I am so used to my AR being in this status I don't see a need to change it. I've practiced deploying my AR from this condition so much over the years that I don't really think about it and it is 2nd nature now.

Mysteryman
04-01-16, 16:34
The asinine part is not the chambered round mode part, it is the insinuation that those who do not are "not confident in your abilities or don't understand/trust the design of the rifle" part.

I don't believe my statement was a blanket statement covering everyone. Those who are required to have an empty chamber due to policy are a different story.

Well for some of us, its because we also use them for training and demonstration purposes which requires them to be cleared and safe.

Fair enough, still no reason to not chamber. Shoot the chambered ammo and replenish with fresh stuff. It's not that expensive.

Sometimes that have to be loaded and then cleared- those of us that carry rifles for a living need to have them empty for vehicle storage, admin purposes..... Chambered rounds get recycled for training

MM

RHINOWSO
04-02-16, 10:20
Consistency is key. Firearms are stored with magazines in place only when the magazine is loaded. Empty mags are removed from firearms and stored separately.

Autoloading rifles have hammers cocked, safety on, chamber empty, mag inserted.

Handguns stored with chamber loaded.

All firearms are stored in safes. Carry gun is stored in a Gunvault once I get home from work, allowing for quick access but away from my son's ability to get ahold of it.

By my own convention, if I grab a firearm with a magazine in place it is ready for use. By this convention, the pistol is immediately ready, the rifle needs to be charged and the safety disengaged. I don't deviate from this convention, which is the key to it working.

Same here, an bolt actions are magazine loaded, empty chamber, safety on as well.

quackhead
04-02-16, 11:16
[QUOTE=Mysteryman;2295974]I don't believe my statement was a blanket statement covering everyone. Those who are required to have an empty chamber due to policy are a different story.

Fair enough, still no reason to not chamber. Shoot the chambered ammo and replenish with fresh stuff. It's not that expensive.

Rifles are usually stored in trunk/ truck vaults with empty chambers , loaded mag in well- when needed, rounds are chambered Riflles are not chambered unless in our immediate control for use- in hands/ on sling/ inside vehicle with us for immediate use. It's a safety issue and all are trained with it. Our pistol are our immediate "oh crap" solution as they are loaded. If you have time to access the rifle, working the charging handle with your off hand is easy and doesn't add time when picking up,rifle

Iraqgunz
04-02-16, 18:21
That's your opinion. Do whatever makes you happy. I don't need anyone dictating how or why I keep my weapons because I am the only one using them.

I don't believe my statement was a blanket statement covering everyone. Those who are required to have an empty chamber due to policy are a different story.

MM

friendlyfireisnt
04-02-16, 20:47
I have a wife and kids, so safety and consistency are very important to me. I was taught cruiser ready, and that is how I have taught my family.

Basically, if the trigger guard isn't covered via holster, or if the weapon isn't in hand, the weapon is unchambered. That goes for carbines and pistols.

Ready weapons (3 carbines, 1 pistol) have loaded magazines inserted, but are unchambered. Carbines are put on safe. Ready shotgun has its mag tube loaded -1, unchambered, safety on, and hammer down.

When the primary carry piece is off my hip, it's in a gun vault in its holster.

Empty magazines are seperate from weapons. Loaded magazines are set either on the safe, on the belt, or on a plate carrier.

Benito
04-02-16, 23:58
Speaking for myself, I'd never store an AR with the chamber loaded. If I was carrying on patrol, then definitely chamber loaded and safety on.

If a gun is out of my control/supervision, the chamber is empty. Within my control or on my body, then chamber can be loaded.

Boba Fett v2
04-03-16, 02:38

This is my exact readiness condition also.

MWAG19919
04-03-16, 10:45
Empty chamber, safety on, muzzle up. 64 gr GD in the magazine. My EDC is always ready to go, should the need arise. If I have time to go get the rifle I have time to run the CH.

jpmuscle
04-03-16, 10:48
My go to long gun sit muzzle up, empty chamber, off cock, mag inserted, selector off safe.

Grab weapon, charge it, and go to work if need be. Same way we run them at work so it's habit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

intense
04-03-16, 11:35
Mine are in the safe, muzzle down, bolt locked back, safety on, loaded mags right next to them. East for me to grab, insert mag, send the bolt home/ chamber round and take safety off. The safe door opens to the right, and as a lefty, it is very easy for me to reach in and grab the pistol grip.

Mysteryman
04-04-16, 20:09
Empty chamber, safety on, muzzle up. 64 gr GD in the magazine. My EDC is always ready to go, should the need arise. If I have time to go get the rifle I have time to run the CH.

You may have time but what if you are wounded and only have one working hand/arm? Just a thought..

MM

MegademiC
04-04-16, 20:49
You may have time but what if you are wounded and only have one working hand/arm? Just a thought..

MM

I would stick with a pistol for one handed shooting in most scenarios I can think of.

You could also rack it off a nearby object, or with your good arm.

Iraqgunz
04-04-16, 21:18
Exactly. And they are nearby as well.

I would stick with a pistol for one handed shooting in most scenarios I can think of.

SteveS
04-04-16, 22:06
I just keep my edc carry pistol by my side. My son is out of the house and my wife and daughter have their hand guns near them . I haven't the [hopefully] for having a rifle ready but it would be the better weapon for really serious work.

Mysteryman
04-05-16, 19:42

Don't see the logic in keeping ones pistol chambered but not their rifle. One handed manipulations are doable but take time, which you may or may not have.

MM

MegademiC
04-05-16, 19:53
Don't see the logic in keeping ones pistol chambered but not their rifle. One handed manipulations are doable but take time, which you may or may not have.

MM

That's fine. Other people do see the logic, and it's been explained. You just don't want to hear it.
As i said if time is a factor - pistol.

I could be wrong, but you seem to have a problem accepting that different people have different lifestyles and reasons for doing things. For most people, the pistol is the primary means for self defense, and a rifle is 2nd.

A pistol is ussually on a person. It may not be all the time, but it's going to be daily. Rifle, not for most people.

I keep my rifle loaded, but I don't dryfire/practice much with it right now.

As long as you know the status, and train to be effective, I'm not going to tell you you are wrong.

SeriousStudent
04-05-16, 20:33
Mysteryman - your point has been made, along with the other posters making their points. Everybody knows where you stand.

Let's move on.

tarkeg
04-06-16, 23:27
My rifle resides in my safe. Hammer down, safety off, mag inserted, Port cover closed. If I'm digging into my safe for my rifle, things have gotten REALLY BAD. Like, angry mob coming down the street bad. The rifle is not in a position to be used for "bump in the night" scenarios.

I think it's finally been said, that the pistol is generally going to be the "go to" tool for most of us. I have a small house, I would much rather navigate it with a pistol than a rifle. Manipulating a pistol one-handed will be easier than a rifle as well.

To each his own, as it's your house and your skill level. For me, I feel fine with my pistol. It's a S&W M&P 9L with Trijicon HD's, TLR-1 HL, Crimson Trace lasergrips, and using a TTI baseplate it's got 24 rounds of 147 gr. HST in it. I think that'll work.

schpier
04-06-16, 23:57
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/8e24ae05f180de9088606875232b8b6b.jpg

wildcard600
04-07-16, 00:22
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160407/8e24ae05f180de9088606875232b8b6b.jpg

I dont see an AR, just a cute dog and a glock.

schpier
04-07-16, 00:48
I dont see an AR, just a cute dog and a glock.

The Tavor in the case!

tehpwnag3
04-07-16, 08:50
Off topic! :p

The Tavor in the case!

I keep my primary AR mag full, chamber empty, Aimpoint on.

wildcard600
04-07-16, 10:21
The Tavor in the case!

The Tavor was an Armalite design ? :confused:

7.62NATO
04-07-16, 13:12
One in pipe, 30 in mag, hammer back, safety off, RDS on.

ballsagna
04-07-16, 13:30
Operator as f***!

Sent while driving, so?

ScottsBad
04-07-16, 14:09
I'm probably the only one who does this with my bedside AR: magazine in, BCG locked back - chamber open, safety off, Aimpoint on. Muzzle down leaning against wall between night stand and bed. I never have feeding problems so I feel comfortable and I always know the chamber is empty when I pick up the rifle.

26 Inf
04-07-16, 21:24

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Back here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've got him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

(Welcome Back Kotter song)

THCDDM4
04-08-16, 01:05

Wait, wait, wait...

You have an evil "assault rifle"!?!?!? Like the kind you questioned my "need" for?!?!?!?

Seriously, what's your deal bro?

Are you 100% BS? Seriously on hardcore meds and not stable? Confused? Hypocrite to the extreme? Or what?

I ask with the utmost sensitivity and compassion. From your post history and our interactions here (Please take the time to research this if you're reading this and wondering what I'm speaking of) one of the above must be true or I'm missing something big time. So what's up bro?

Leaveammoforme
04-08-16, 02:43
Wait, wait, wait...

You have an evil "assault rifle"!?!?!? Like the kind you questioned my "need" for?!?!?!?

Seriously, what's your deal bro?

Are you 100% BS? Seriously on hardcore meds and not stable? Confused? Hypocrite to the extreme? Or what?

I ask with the utmost sensitivity and compassion. From your post history and our interactions here (Please take the time to research this if you're reading this and wondering what I'm speaking of) one of the above must be true or I'm missing something big time. So what's up bro?

I believe he picked up an electrical tail about the time the folks who left the refuge were getting snagged up.

Appears he went Devil's Advocate mode to Ninja smoke his way out. I didn't expect him back so soon but, the All Seers can now back door iphones so who knows.

HCM
05-12-16, 18:11
The Tavor was an Armalite design ? :confused:

Internally, a Tavor is basically a bull pup version of the AR-18.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 18:22
Loaded pistol or rifle/carbine in every room. Some rooms have multiple. Have enough guns and it saves safe space. Never more than 5 or 10 feet from a gun in my own house. All loaded hot on safe or not if there is no saftey.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 18:24
I'm probably the only one who does this with my bedside AR: magazine in, BCG locked back - chamber open, safety off, Aimpoint on. Muzzle down leaning against wall between night stand and bed. I never have feeding problems so I feel comfortable and I always know the chamber is empty when I pick up the rifle.

Why? nothing wrong with a chambered round. Leaving it open is not only going to let dust settle in, but give away tactical advantage and waste time if you need it. The only sound that should be heard is moving the selector from safe to semi.

Not to mention in the heat of the moment you will probably forget to charge it or take the safety off. I would leave the safety off for this very reason, but enough deployments and muscle memory with the MOA of the M4/M16 its not really an issue for someone with tons of training. For most folks, they will be squeezing the trigger wondering why the gun won't fire.

Eurodriver
05-12-16, 18:46
For most folks, they will be squeezing the trigger wondering why the gun won't fire.

Tunnel vision ****s you up man. Still remember reaching for my left shoulder trying to unbuckle the seatbelt in my Humvee because that was "down"...