PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a SD load.....

ubet
03-27-16, 14:26
Both these loads I've shot 1.25 moa @ 100yds with. Bit with the sun at my 7 o'clock, the target in the sun and my astigmatism things weren't in my favor today. But here are two loads. One is the nosler 64gr bsb 26 grs cfe223 the other is 62gr tsx 26.1 grs cfe223. The zero I keep is with a 77gr nosler custom comp and it's the circled point. The target with the tape is 100yds. The other is 25yds with a dead center hold on the grey, they all hit right at the bottom of the red dot in my pro. The nosler 64gr I jerked the trigger.

Of all this, which one would you go with for a SD round? Rifle is a stock 6920 with aimpoint pro

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/c29edcf60fdf810f2d0f6de24c13b974.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/4eabdc8aa72897afc8f2971f21b91f00.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ubet
03-27-16, 14:33
Here's the original ocw test targets I did in the bullets at 100yds so that maybe you don't think I'm full of crap that they/I shoot better than what I did today.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/19159ec866f3220aecc474f5cb69f468.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160327/57eee7cb651e94eefc9f80e0ef5a4e83.jpg

Springfield
03-28-16, 06:10
I prefer to stick to factory loads for self defense and use hand loads for hunting and target shooting. That said, it is completely your call and both projectiles should get the job done. No personal experience with the Barnes bullets in .223 but load the 110gr TAC-TX for 300 blackout on top of WIN296 and have been happy with it's performance. Currently shooting factory Federal with the 62gr TBBC projectile and don't have plans to change any time soon.

ubet
03-29-16, 07:36
I figure I can do a better job than the factory loading ammunition, that and I can tailor it to my firearm. I load my own carry rounds for my pistol so why not for a rifle, being as I am less likely to have to use the rifle and it's not near as picky as my trp operator.

markm
04-01-16, 22:55
So... why not run the 77 OTM for defense? That bullet is brutally effective. Bonded stuff is nice, but the 77 OTM is bad ass.

ubet
04-01-16, 22:59
So... why not run the 77 OTM for defense? That bullet is brutally effective. Bonded stuff is nice, but the 77 OTM is bad ass.
I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed. First shot she went down but got back up, took 4 more. The shot placement was decent and should have worked but they didn't

NinjaLoader
04-02-16, 08:56
I remember browsing a report like this: http://www.mlefiaa.org/files/ERPR/Terminal_Ballistic_Performance.pdf

..in the past. This report does contain 77 ft smk findings but I think there more specific info out there on terminal ballistics if 77's.

markm
04-04-16, 21:26
I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed.

Yeah.. Cattle don't equate to human threats. Probably want a 30 cal solution for that.

TexasAggie2005
04-04-16, 21:41
Re: putting down cows

I've always had good luck with bulk pack .22 from a bolt action rifle when needing to dispatch large animals. Shot placement matters.

jwinch2
04-04-16, 22:20
I prefer to stick to factory loads for self defense and use hand loads for hunting and target shooting.

I agree. I always try to find out what the state or local LEO's use and by the same. In the unlikely event that I have to use my firearms defensively, explaining my choice of ammo will be one less thing I have to worry about.

markm
04-05-16, 20:37
I agree. I always try to find out what the state or local LEO's use and by the same. In the unlikely event that I have to use my firearms defensively, explaining my choice of ammo will be one less thing I have to worry about.

That's old school thinking. I remember this logic popping up on TOS from time to time... A good shoot is a good shoot.. period. A bad shoot will only mean that a prosecutor will say "you used LE powered ammo" to do this terrible thing... "and you're not a cop", etc.

Pick the best ammo, and pray you never have a questionable shoot.

Cokie
04-06-16, 02:19
What do you think about the hornady 75's vs the 77 OTM

bfoosh006
04-06-16, 12:16
Deleted

markm
04-06-16, 18:12
What do you think about the hornady 75's vs the 77 OTM

Not sure who you're asking... but the 75 stuff is really good too.

civiliansheepdog
04-06-16, 18:38
So it is conventional wisdom to zero your optic for your SD load as opposed to your range ammo like Wolf Gold or whatever else? Just making sure due to the fact most folks run a heavier grain load for SD versus a 55 gr. FMJ for the range.

tacticaldesire
04-06-16, 22:31
So it is conventional wisdom to zero your optic for your SD load as opposed to your range ammo like Wolf Gold or whatever else? Just making sure due to the fact most folks run a heavier grain load for SD versus a 55 gr. FMJ for the range.

Most people I know have them zero'd for their SD load because if you ever find yourself on the two way range, which is when it counts you're presumably using your SD/Duty ammo.

You could always check where you're hitting with your range ammo after you're zero'd with your SD ammo to confirm POI.

Cokie
04-07-16, 00:42
Not sure who you're asking... but the 75 stuff is really good too.

You advocate the 77's a lot. 75's are similar afaik. Is it accuracy or terminal ballistics or both that makes them so good?

markm
04-07-16, 17:06
You advocate the 77's a lot. 75's are similar afaik. Is it accuracy or terminal ballistics or both that makes them so good?

I'm big on the 77s because the Nosler CCs can be bought for a good price in bulk. The 75s hand right in there. And if I got 5k 75s for a great price, I shoot them in a heartbeat.

ubet
04-17-16, 08:18
I just used the 64bsb to drop a coyote it went through and through and the shoulders, not much expansion. The 77gr custom comps are a lot more devastating on the coyotes.

JasonB1
04-17-16, 17:06
I went to put a cow down with the 77s, in the head they failed. First shot she went down but got back up, took 4 more. The shot placement was decent and should have worked but they didn't

Killed a white tail doe last fall with 62gr Fusion MSR. Started to slowly walk off after a heart/lung shot and stopped at the tree line so, since it was almost dark, I shot her in the head and she dropped.
Got over to her, tapped her, and she tried to stand so another shot to the head and she went down and did the all over spasms before lying still. Tapped again, rolled to get her feet under her, 3rd round to head, repeat of spasms, and that was it.

Based on the mess after I was connecting with important stuff, but sometimes things just don't work out well.

MegademiC
04-17-16, 18:53
Killed a white tail doe last fall with 62gr Fusion MSR. Started to slowly walk off after a heart/lung shot and stopped at the tree line so, since it was almost dark, I shot her in the head and she dropped.
Got over to her, tapped her, and she tried to stand so another shot to the head and she went down and did the all over spasms before lying still. Tapped again, rolled to get her feet under her, 3rd round to head, repeat of spasms, and that was it.

Based on the mess after I was connecting with important stuff, but sometimes things just don't work out well.

Hunting experience is extremely variable. I wouldn't make any decisions based on animal reaction from 1 experience. Deer take a 12ga slug through the heart and run 60yds sometimes. It doesn't mean the round didnt perform. Bone can make bullets do wierd stuff as well. There is repeatable scientific testing for a reason.

ubet
04-18-16, 11:31
Bullet placement is everything. And I was about 2"high from where I wanted my poi. But passing through as much bone as it did, straight through the shoulder blades up high, the penetration was fine, it was the lack of damage that I was disappointed in. I bet it would make a great deer round, but for a coyote might not be the right bullet. I'll try the tsx out on some and see what the results are there.

KeithTexas
04-25-16, 20:10
Bullet placement is everything. And I was about 2"high from where I wanted my poi. But passing through as much bone as it did, straight through the shoulder blades up high, the penetration was fine, it was the lack of damage that I was disappointed in. I bet it would make a great deer round, but for a coyote might not be the right bullet. I'll try the tsx out on some and see what the results are there.

Just curious, why are you evaluating 100 yard shots/grouping for SD ammo? By definition, self defense is when you reasonably expect that your life is under imminent threat. I don't view someone a hundred yards away as an imminent threat. That said, my bedroom ARs are loaded up with bonded soft points; Speer Gold Dots and Federal Fusion MSR. If I was awakened by someone in the house, I think I would reach for the bedside Mossberg 500 with the Federal FliteControl buckshot. I live alone so no real worries about over penetration.

ubet
05-12-16, 14:16
Just curious, why are you evaluating 100 yard shots/grouping for SD ammo? By definition, self defense is when you reasonably expect that your life is under imminent threat. I don't view someone a hundred yards away as an imminent threat. That said, my bedroom ARs are loaded up with bonded soft points; Speer Gold Dots and Federal Fusion MSR. If I was awakened by someone in the house, I think I would reach for the bedside Mossberg 500 with the Federal FliteControl buckshot. I live alone so no real worries about over penetration.
I did it at 100yds because my ar pretty much lives in my company pickup. And the bullets do double duty of self defense (heaven forbid I ever need to use it) and to shoot whatever else I need to shoot.