PDA

View Full Version : Best Upper/Lower Set?

DrBroussard
03-28-16, 16:03
Building a 8.5" SBR 300 blk with tax stamp. I am agonizing over which upper lower stripped receiver set to get. Some are billet, some are forged, some have flared mag wells and larger trigger guards. What else am I missing?What set is the "best" to date? What sets are overpriced?

JG007
03-28-16, 16:15
My research led me to a MUR upper, and noveske gen 2 lower. Both are forged with the features of a billet

VIP3R 237
03-28-16, 16:20
What features do you prefer?

Do you care about ambi options such as right side bolt release/bolt catch, or built in ambi mag catches?
Forged is stronger, but billet can look better if aesthetics matter to you.

Personally I prefer ambi lowers as im a lefty, and I think the San Tan tactical set is about as good as it gets right now. If you don't like the look of the upper, then the Vltor MUR is a fantastic option.

DrBroussard
03-28-16, 20:47
What features do you prefer?

Do you care about ambi options such as right side bolt release/bolt catch, or built in ambi mag catches?
Forged is stronger, but billet can look better if aesthetics matter to you.

Personally I prefer ambi lowers as im a lefty, and I think the San Tan tactical set is about as good as it gets right now. If you don't like the look of the upper, then the Vltor MUR is a fantastic option.

Thanks for your advice. I guess have never come across a situation where I need ambidextrous options. I like that forge is stronger. I have forged Anderson lowers I could use but several people have told me they would never make a serious gun with those or use one for a tax stamp. When I look other forged lowers from other brands with stripped lowers they all seem identical to the Andersons so I feel like I can't use them. The companies like Mega Arms and American Defense have nice looking receivers but I can't convince myself that the price difference from a stronger forged receiver is justified. The one billet I would shell out money for just for aesthetics is Spikes Tactical "The Jack" but it looks like the magazine may not be well supported in the magazine well with half the posterior wall missing. So I am in a pickle. Are there some uppers that just work better with a bolt carrier and barrel than others?

DrBroussard
03-28-16, 20:48
My research led me to a MUR upper, and noveske gen 2 lower. Both are forged with the features of a billet
Thanks, I will definitely check these out!

Kenneth
03-28-16, 21:48
It all depends on how much money you have. My personal opinion is nothing from spikes. I do not care for their products at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swstock
03-28-16, 22:32
My Mega upper and lower are my best fitting.

Others I own for comparison: BCM, Noveske, Spikes, Aero Precision, and I have some unbuilt Seekins lowers that aren't as nicely machined.

DrBroussard
03-28-16, 22:52
It all depends on how much money you have. My personal opinion is nothing from spikes. I do not care for their products at all.

Funds are not the limiting factor. But the feeling of stupidity and gun companies laughing that I'm spending $300 extra for a receiver set without any functional benefit is a limiting factor. Why do you dislike Spike products?

Peshawar
03-28-16, 23:19
Perhaps consider the ADAC (licensed from AXTS) lowers from Rainier. Not quite as ambit feature-rich as the AX556 lowers, but it has the right side bolt catch and are forged. I found that the Rainier forged A4 Gen2 stripped uppers fit wonderfully on these lowers. I think they're cut by Mega for Rainier but I'm not certain of that. Might be a good route.

nate89
03-28-16, 23:19
Like was mentioned above, as a lefty I found ambi features were an advantage for me, which led me to the Rainier ultramatch sets. I actually am submitting the SBR paperwork on the lower this week (after ensuring it functioned with a variety of uppers and making sure critical dimensions were in spec). If you are not going to be needing the ambi bolt release or ambi mag release, I would look at BCM. I have a factory built lower and the quality is there. I also really appreciate the CS I have always gotten from them.

Kenneth
03-29-16, 04:08
It's just a personal preference I guess. I think they came into the AR market at the right time and they benefited by playing up the childish AR's. With all their different roll marks and goofy products. I never liked them. Too much snake oil in the brand for me.

Yes I'm just a hater on that brand lol.

The Rainer arms set looks nice. I have been interested in one of their rifles for a long time. My Colbert the top build AR will be off of a battle arms receiver set. They just look too cool.

TMS951
03-29-16, 09:40
If i was going to go through the difficulty of doing an SBR, and buying a lower instead of just picking one of mine I'd use a KAC.

Complete KAC lowers are available. They are not cheap but the value is mostly there, t comes with some good parts like the trigger.

If you already have the upper I'd consider matching it to that as far as manufacturer goes

rcoodyar15
03-29-16, 11:19
I really like the CMT tactical billet upper/lower set

Rainier carries them

https://www.rainierarms.com/cmt-tact-uhp-15-ambi-combo-set

bighawk
03-29-16, 11:26
I highly recommend Mega forged uppers and lowers. They are great quality and you can get a stripped set for about 220-250 which is pretty cheap. I'm currently doing a 8"300 blackout on my Mega set.

GH41
03-29-16, 15:43
MEGA ambi for me and I am not a south paw. There is more than one way to manipulate the controls. While true that forged aluminum is stronger than billet it doesn't mean a forged lower is stronger than a billet lower.

titsonritz
03-29-16, 16:19
I want to pair a MUR upper with a Battle Arms forged lower.

slowrx
03-29-16, 18:55
I have 2 upper/lower combos from Noveske. Gen 1 and Gen 2 I like both of them/got a good deal and they fit well. I also have an AAC 300blk upper paired with a gen 1 Noveske lower in SBR form with no complaints. My duty rifle is an issued bushmaster and its good enough for a bare bones work gun, wouldnt buy it if it were my money though. I wouldn't beat yourself up to bad over it. I would assume any reputable company is going to have a good fit especially if you are pairing the same company's upper and lower.

Ernst
03-29-16, 18:56
Why such a short barrel?

jstalford
03-29-16, 20:19
For 300blk? 8.5" isn't THAT short.

556BlackRifle
03-29-16, 20:35
Just to add to the other posts regarding Rainier Arms. I have a forged set (mil-spec) and they are a very nice fit.

Jpoe88
03-30-16, 06:22
Perhaps consider the ADAC (licensed from AXTS) lowers from Rainier. Not quite as ambit feature-rich as the AX556 lowers, but it has the right side bolt catch and are forged. I found that the Rainier forged A4 Gen2 stripped uppers fit wonderfully on these lowers. I think they're cut by Mega for Rainier but I'm not certain of that. Might be a good route.
Idk about fit and finish but Rainier has some wicked looking billet sets...

DrBroussard
03-30-16, 07:36
Why such a short barrel?

That's the length available from Noveske. I really wanted a 9.5 inch and 10.5 inch may be a hair to long for me.

556BlackRifle
03-30-16, 09:25
That's the length available from Noveske. I really wanted a 9.5 inch and 10.5 inch may be a hair to long for me.

Here's a fairly recent thread that might be of interest to you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?147216-Lets-talk-9-quot-300-BLK-SBR-barrels-Noveske-Ranier-AAC-what-s-good

Rayrevolver
03-30-16, 10:36
I want to pair a MUR upper with a Battle Arms forged lower.

My first SBR uses the BAD forged lower (gen 1) and MUR.

Are other manufacturers claiming increased rigidity like the Vltor MUR? They can be had used for $120-140 and new $160, so they are not crazy money like when they first came out, relatively speaking.

The Noveske Gen 2 Upper is an MUR.

One drawback to the MUR with a forward assist is that you cannot use 45 degree folding offset sights like KAC or Magpul PRO. I have a set of DDRTS that do work.

You can find complete Vltor lowers on Gunbroker if you wanted to match. I do not know much about the Vltor lowers other than they have a bigger mag release button.

DrBroussard
03-31-16, 23:34
Thank you all for your input. Over the past few days of painful agonizing over this I literally was a click away from buying every single receiver y'all mentioned from the San Tactical
set the way to the MUR. I just ordered the Americam Defense UIC reciever because of the ambidextrous feature, the weight, and by the mag release button appearing more protected. There's still time for me to cancel the order so if anyone has a reason talk me out of it please do so now before it's too late!

jackblack73
04-01-16, 00:21
I've never seen one in person, but I think the ADM has the best execution of bolt catch/release out there.