PDA

View Full Version : AR trigger

pmanton
03-28-16, 17:22
I assembled my AR-15 from off the shelf parts and the trigger is terrible. Any suggestions to smooth it up without spending $200 on a custom drop in trigger?
Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

Ernst
03-28-16, 17:29
You might want to start at the low end and see if like this: https://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=294

I was shooting today with a guy who swears by them, and he let me try it. I was impressed.

Clint
03-28-16, 18:11
ALG QMS

Alpine2k3
03-28-16, 18:13
ALG QMS

I second this. I have two of them and they are great for the money.

Iraqgunz
03-28-16, 18:48
Those triggers are garbage. The latest one that failed caused the weapon to fire a burst. There are plenty of better options out there.

You might want to start at the low end and see if like this: https://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=294

I was shooting today with a guy who swears by them, and he let me try it. I was impressed.

Iraqgunz
03-28-16, 18:52
The SIONICS Enhanced Trigger is a great option well. Nickle/PTFE coating, with an approx. trigger pull weight of 6.5 lbs.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/lower-receiver-parts/47-bolt-carrier-group-hpmpi-tested-with-np3-carrier.html

bsoileau24
03-28-16, 19:25
I really like the sionics enhanced trigger. I got mine with the lpk when they first came out. From here on they will be my go to for my lpk with fcg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
03-28-16, 19:45
This

ALG QMS
Or this

The SIONICS Enhanced Trigger is a great option well.

Even one of these: BCM PNT Trigger (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-PNT-Trigger-Assembly-AR15-p/bcm-pnt-ta1.htm) would be a good call.

And if you're feeling a little extra jingle in your pocket, great sales like this one: Geissele G2S for $132 (http://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-g2s-2-stage-trigger-ar15-pin-154/p/g2s/) do happen from time to time.

JC5188
03-28-16, 20:14
This

Or this

Even one of these: BCM PNT Trigger (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-PNT-Trigger-Assembly-AR15-p/bcm-pnt-ta1.htm) would be a good call.

And if you're feeling a little extra jingle in your pocket, great sales like this one: Geissele G2S for $132 (http://www.primaryarms.com/geissele-g2s-2-stage-trigger-ar15-pin-154/p/g2s/) do happen from time to time.

Any of these ^^^

Or even the ALG ACT. I think they're $60 bucks.

wetidlerjr
03-28-16, 20:55
ALG ACT. Excellent trigger for the money. Smooth, steady pull with no grit. I have one in a Haley Jack clone I put together awhile back and I can find nothing to complain about.

HelloLarry
03-29-16, 17:06
I'll 2nd the Rock River. 2 stage trigger with a second stage that can't be safely matched by any single stage on an AR.

I have a couple that each have over 10,000 live rounds on them plus about on hour of dry firing 5 nights per week for at least 6 month out of the year over the course of about 10 years. I'm sure there is easily over 100,000 cycles on each one.

Berserkr556
03-29-16, 17:28
Geissele SSA is my favorite but you don't want to spend that kind of coin so try the Sionics.

shooterpunk
03-29-16, 21:15
I have the POF trigger and it's great. Very crisp. I havent tried any others though to be honest.

rattlesnake
03-29-16, 21:21
I'll 2nd the Rock River. 2 stage trigger with a second stage that can't be safely matched by any single stage on an AR.

I have a couple that each have over 10,000 live rounds on them plus about on hour of dry firing 5 nights per week for at least 6 month out of the year over the course of about 10 years. I'm sure there is easily over 100,000 cycles on each one.

Thanks for the incite from someone who actually uses these. I had one on a 5.45 AR and shot 5 tins of 7n6. It was a good trigger. I remember reading a thread on here where some industry guy toured their factory. He said each trigger is hand made and the hammer and triggers are matched and fine tuned together. I did hear some problems a while back about them turning into single stage mushy triggers but the one I had was great the entire time. I just got one of the 3.5 varmint triggers. I haven't used it yet, but it feels really nice.

THEOZZ
03-30-16, 00:17
I think Rock River triggers are an excellent trigger at a excellent price range. Like stated above try one you might be very pleased.

quackhead
03-30-16, 01:44
I too have seen rock river triggers fail. The ALG is a great trigger for the price and is budget friendly

rattlesnake
03-30-16, 03:46
I too have seen rock river triggers fail. The ALG is a great trigger for the price and is budget friendly

You read about it on a forum, or you seen one fail? Can you be a little more specific? The ALG isn't a 2 stage trigger. It's a mil spec trigger that's enhanced .

Wake27
03-30-16, 03:55
You read about it on a forum, or you seen one fail? Can you be a little more specific? The ALG isn't a 2 stage trigger. It's a mil spec trigger that's enhanced .

OP didn't say he wanted a two stage.

rattlesnake
03-30-16, 03:56
He didn't say he primarily wanted a single stage either.

_Stormin_
03-30-16, 06:21
So maybe every option gets presented and the OP makes an informed choice.

As far as ANY factory, it really doesn't matter how a tour experience goes. You see a curated display that the manufacturer crafts in order to impress prospective customers. I've toured so many facilities I've lost count. I can't count on one hand the number of times that I've had a "bad experience" doing so.

How do they perform in the field? My personal experience with RRA triggers (sample size of one on a borrowed rifle with a high round count) was that they were nothing special. The QMS is probably the highest quality GI trigger I've used and comes in at a great cost. The Sionics and BCM triggers are great upgrades. Personally... My own new rifles will run Geissele triggers and I don't mind the cost when I know I spend it once and I'm good.

rattlesnake
03-30-16, 06:45
So maybe every option gets presented and the OP makes an informed choice.

As far as ANY factory, it really doesn't matter how a tour experience goes. You see a curated display that the manufacturer crafts in order to impress prospective customers. I've toured so many facilities I've lost count. I can't count on one hand the number of times that I've had a "bad experience" doing so.

How do they perform in the field? My personal experience with RRA triggers (sample size of one on a borrowed rifle with a high round count) was that they were nothing special. The QMS is probably the highest quality GI trigger I've used and comes in at a great cost. The Sionics and BCM triggers are great upgrades. Personally... My own new rifles will run Geissele triggers and I don't mind the cost when I know I spend it once and I'm good.

Great point. You're not going to see the bad in a tour. I had never heard about the Sionics trigger. I only have 2 different non LPK triggers. One is a Greiselle SSA-E, and one RRA 3.5LB varmint. The SSA-E is great and it's money well spent. The RRA feels very nice, but I have only dry fired it since I just put it in. If it fails I will post up a detailed thread with pics. This will be my 2nd RRA trigger. The first one performed well.

Iraqgunz
03-30-16, 07:16
I'll post the RRA pics later today. This is the about the 5th or 6th failure I am aware of.

Great point. You're not going to see the bad in a tour. I had never heard about the Sionics trigger. I only have 2 different non LPK triggers. One is a Greiselle SSA-E, and one RRA 3.5LB varmint. The SSA-E is great and it's money well spent. The RRA feels very nice, but I have only dry fired it since I just put it in. If it fails I will post up a detailed thread with pics. This will be my 2nd RRA trigger. The first one performed well.

556BlackRifle
03-30-16, 09:49
I'm very happy with my ALG ACT triggers. The now come with two different springs so you can go with a lighter pull if you like. I find them to be a very crisp break with virtually no over travel. However, on my next build, I'll be going with Sionics. Lots of great reports about them and I'm anxious to give them a try.

Joe Mamma
03-30-16, 10:05
I'll post the RRA pics later today. This is the about the 5th or 6th failure I am aware of.

Please do. There are at least 2 different generations (designs) of RRA two stage match triggers.

To the OP (pmanton), the cheapest and easiest thing to try is using grease (not oil) on the trigger/hammer/sear contact surface.

Joe Mamma

zackmars
03-30-16, 13:01
there are a few "enhanced" triggers on the market, BCM, Spikes Tactical, ALG, etc.

i've used the ones i mentioned above, and they perform the same, so buy whichever you want.

as for 2 stage, the G2S is almost impossible to beat as a budget option

pmanton
03-31-16, 11:47
Thanks one and all. I'll start with the grease first. :D

Paul
Salome, AZ

GunBugBit
03-31-16, 11:57
I assembled my AR-15 from off the shelf parts and the trigger is terrible. Any suggestions to smooth it up without spending $200 on a custom drop in trigger?
Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ
My suggestion is to simply save enough for a quality trigger. You won't regret that.

Primus Pilum
03-31-16, 13:45
Nothing short of the G2S (Or maybe the $125 Larue MBT) is worth the coin.

The cheaper triggers are just that, cheap. Also unreliable. Even the cheaper ALG triggers really aren't much better than a run of the .mil spec trigger.

Spend the coin on a quality trigger that can always be moved to different guns down the road.

Iraqgunz
03-31-16, 15:30
Unfortunately, your experience doesn't mimic that of others in regards to the ALG and similar triggers.

The cheaper triggers are just that, cheap. Also unreliable. Even the cheaper ALG triggers really aren't much better than a run of the .mil spec trigger.

Spend the coin on a quality trigger that can always be moved to different guns down the road.

Bayoublaster
03-31-16, 15:39
I'll add another vote for the ACT. I like mine. It's clean and reliable.

Primus Pilum
03-31-16, 15:58
Unfortunately, your experience doesn't mimic that of others in regards to the ALG and similar triggers.

They all feel like cleaned up mil spec triggers, which they are. Compared to a G2S they are night and day. The ALG and such triggers SHOULD be the baseline, not a target. There is not much difference between them and a quality mil spec on the lighter side.

Once you are used to good triggers, its hard to go back. KAC 2 Stages & Hi Speeds ruined me over a decade ago.

Iraqgunz
03-31-16, 16:05
I am well aware of how they feel. I have several Geissele triggers to include the G2S, SSA, and SSA-E. The ALG, SIONICS, etc.. cleaned up single stage MILSPEC triggers advantage is that across the board they have consistent trigger pull.

They all feel like cleaned up mil spec triggers, which they are. Compared to a G2S they are night and day. The ALG and such triggers SHOULD be the baseline, not a target. There is not much difference between them and a quality mil spec on the lighter side.

Once you are used to good triggers, its hard to go back. KAC 2 Stages & Hi Speeds ruined me over a decade ago.

Iraqgunz
03-31-16, 16:22
Here it is.

The trigger is a Rock River and I was told it was roughly 3 years old, with approx. round count of 1500 rounds. It was in a duty rifle and the officer was doing a qualification when it happened. I was told that the weapon then fired a short burst when it failed.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/iraqgunz/IMG_20160331_131440538_zps00sme4dv.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/iraqgunz/media/IMG_20160331_131440538_zps00sme4dv.jpg.html)

Please do. There are at least 2 different generations (designs) of RRA two stage match triggers.

To the OP (pmanton), the cheapest and easiest thing to try is using grease (not oil) on the trigger/hammer/sear contact surface.

Joe Mamma

titsonritz
03-31-16, 16:23

I keep a spare ALG ACT around as a stop gap for any rifle or lower that doesn't already come with an "enhanced" trigger until I can spring for a Geissele, they are way better than a standard milspec trigger and are perfectly acceptable until I can get the trigger I really want.

556BlackRifle
03-31-16, 20:05
Here it is.

The trigger is a Rock River and I was told it was roughly 3 years old, with approx. round count of 1500 rounds. It was in a duty rifle and the officer was doing a qualification when it happened. I was told that the weapon then fired a short burst when it failed.

Wow.... That sucker snapped. Makes me nervous when I see stuff like that.

Wildcat0313
04-01-16, 00:01
I know it's been said approximately 432 times already in here, but I really dig my ALG ACT for what it is. The new BCM trigger has been getting positive feedback also from what I've seen.

If you want something a little higher end, or just looking for a mid-range 2-stage, I've read good things about the MBT by LaRue Tactical. I'll probably try one of those next time I get the itch to switch triggers. On a related note I snagged up a Geissele G2S for my 308 AR for super cheap last year during Memorial Day, so if you can wait for sales it's worth it.

SteveL
04-01-16, 09:19

Here it is.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/iraqgunz/IMG_20160331_131440538_zps00sme4dv.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/user/iraqgunz/media/IMG_20160331_131440538_zps00sme4dv.jpg.html)

Did all of the failed RRA triggers that you're aware of fail in the same way?

Primus Pilum
04-01-16, 09:50
RRA triggers have a long history of failing. They would either break down over time (Like less than 2500 rnds) and turn into a really bad 1 stage or they would snap at the hammer like above. G man killed the RRA stage over a decade ago. I don't know anyone who competes who would ever buy one.

IndianaBoy
04-01-16, 10:11
Suck it up and buy a good trigger.

'cleaned up' standard triggers are gross.

SteveS
04-01-16, 13:11
I like to use over sized pins for the trigger and hammer they tighten the feel . Gisele uses over sized pins in their offerings .

HelloLarry
04-02-16, 09:39
Wow.... That sucker snapped. Makes me nervous when I see stuff like that.

I've never seen a brand of triggers that didn't have some failures like that. It's pretty typical failure mode in all swinging hammer designs.

Halln
04-02-16, 09:54
I have 2 ALG QMS triggers. They are smooth,crisp and have very little or no creep. I would like to try other triggers but these work for me.

wingspar
04-03-16, 19:18
Deleted

wanderson
04-04-16, 12:38
I've had a RRA 2 stage in one of my ARs for about 4 years & 2k rounds, no issues. For the money a very smooth crisp trigger. I think you can get one from RRA for $85 right now.

I also have a QMS single stage in another rifle, probably the best sub $50 single stage I've tried.

I've also dropped a few Palmetto State Armory el cheapo FCGs in my budget builds, up til a year ago they were VERY well polished and only $30. Then they upped the price to $40 calling it the 'enhanced' FCG and offered a 'basic' FCG for $30 that wasn't polished. That's when I spent another $5 for a QMS and never regretted it.

VIP3R 237
04-04-16, 12:54
RRA triggers have a long history of failing. They would either break down over time (Like less than 2500 rnds) and turn into a really bad 1 stage or they would snap at the hammer like above. G man killed the RRA stage over a decade ago. I don't know anyone who competes who would ever buy one.

Same here, I had a RRA go single stage on me close to 1500 rounds. I have also seen another one go to crap in about the same round count where it would not lock back at all.

cosmo223
04-05-16, 16:14
Funny, just replied to another thread about triggers by recommending the RRA. Then I saw this. Still have the same opinion. I have RRA National Match triggers in two AR's and have had 0 issues so far. Probably about 1000 rounds through each. I know a couple of other people at my local range who also have dropped in RRA triggers and haven't heard any complaints. Has RRA at least replaced these triggers after they failed?

rattlesnake
04-05-16, 16:18
The new Ruger 4.5# has been getting good reviews. It's in the same price range as the RRA.

Kdubya
04-05-16, 19:56
I think you've got a pretty good consensus with the two ALG options. If you're going for rock bottom value, they're a fine choice. Especially if your current trigger is as bad as you make it out to be.

I'm in the "buy once, once camp". If you're thinking of eventually upgrading, just suck it up and save for a little longer, then pick up a Geissele. Keep an eye on the sales. I've seen Primary Arms run a couple of 30% Off Geissele events, and they're a steal with that kind of discount. I picked up a SD-C for $168, and the SSA was running at about $100. If you're on the fence about shelling out that kind of money, take 20 minutes and watch Bill Geissele's video where he discusses the pros and cons of each of their triggers. Seeing how passionate he was about his craft gave me complete confidence in purchasing one of their products.

VIP3R 237
04-05-16, 20:49
I'm in the "buy once, once camp". If you're thinking of eventually upgrading, just suck it up and save for a little longer, then pick up a Geissele. Keep an eye on the sales. I've seen Primary Arms run a couple of 30% Off Geissele events, and they're a steal with that kind of discount. I picked up a SD-C for $168, and the SSA was running at about $100. If you're on the fence about shelling out that kind of money, take 20 minutes and watch Bill Geissele's video where he discusses the pros and cons of each of their triggers. Seeing how passionate he was about his craft gave me complete confidence in purchasing one of their products.

Exactly, I'll take a Geissele trigger all day every day over a slightly less expensive trigger from a mfg who is known for cutting corners and using inferior materials and manufacturing processes.

Primus Pilum
04-06-16, 13:20
Funny, just replied to another thread about triggers by recommending the RRA. Then I saw this. Still have the same opinion. I have RRA National Match triggers in two AR's and have had 0 issues so far. Probably about 1000 rounds through each. I know a couple of other people at my local range who also have dropped in RRA triggers and haven't heard any complaints. Has RRA at least replaced these triggers after they failed?

That's about a weekend of two or shooting for most HP shooters, just saying. Hence why not all opinions are equal.

Ask ANYONE with real competitive shooting experience, and they will tell you exactly what I just said. The issues goes back 15 years and is widely known.

Buying one is pissing money away.

HelloLarry
04-06-16, 16:47
That's about a weekend of two or shooting for most HP shooters, just saying. Hence why not all opinions are equal.

Ask ANYONE with real competitive shooting experience, and they will tell you exactly what I just said. The issues goes back 15 years and is widely known.

Buying one is pissing money away.
I've been shooting Highpower for almost 20 years and have never heard of any substantial issues with the Rock River.

I've traveled for matches, shot at the Nationals many times and have never heard of RR triggers breaking.

Like I said, I easily have 100,000 cycles on each of my 2 RR triggers. Never let me down and always made weight. I've never had to adjust them.
That's ~200,000 trigger breaks just myself. Never an issue.

rattlesnake
04-06-16, 17:13
I've been shooting Highpower for almost 20 years and have never heard of any substantial issues with the Rock River.

I've traveled for matches, shot at the Nationals many times and have never heard of RR triggers breaking.

Like I said, I easily have 100,000 cycles on each of my 2 RR triggers. Never let me down and always made weight. I've never had to adjust them.

Thanks a lot. I've seen many replies on this subject on various forums where people said, "I have RRA 2 stage triggers in 2 of my lowers, and they've been great". Also the posts where people say they're junk, buy geisille. Your post makes me think the RRA trigger problem may be greatly exaggerated.

Iraqgunz
04-08-16, 15:49
Then you should buy one if it makes you feel better. Let us know if you feel the Bern.

Thanks a lot. I've seen many replies on this subject on various forums where people said, "I have RRA 2 stage triggers in 2 of my lowers, and they've been great". Also the posts where people say they're junk, buy geisille. Your post makes me think the RRA trigger problem may be greatly exaggerated.

rattlesnake
04-08-16, 17:08
Then you should buy one if it makes you feel better. Let us know if you feel the Bern.

I have one. This is my second. The first was the NM. I shot 5 tins onlf 7n6 with a 5.45 upper. It performed great. A little over 5k rounds is nothing compared to HelloLarry's experience. This new trigger is the 3.5# varmint. I paid $79 shipped. If it breaks (which I doubt) I will contact RRA. Will also let you know if I feel the Bern :-).

Primus Pilum
04-08-16, 17:36

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

cosmo223
04-10-16, 10:38

And I'm sure someone out there has bought a Rolex watch and had it break the next day.:)

BTW - I don't shoot high-power but a friend of mine and shooting buddy is a Distinguished Marksman and regularly competes in local, regional and national matches. You know what trigger he has in his "fun" AR? A RR National Match.:)

lysander
04-10-16, 13:41
Spend $150 on an Armalite trigger?

Or, you can polish the one you got.

Just be careful not to change the angles or cut through the case hardened crust....

squid8286
04-10-16, 16:25
I have ACT ALGs in all but two of my ARs. I only use the things at the range, but they are all set up for "serious" use. I like a decent even pull and reliable ignition, so the springs in them aren't lightened or anything. I have no real need for spending the kind of $$ it takes to get a nice two-stage, because I don't do that kind of shooting. But I don't want a gritty/nasty trigger, either. And I don't trust myself to polish a factory trigger without going thru the surface hardening. So it's the ACT for me. I may try one of the similar BCM triggers soon.

wingspar
04-10-16, 19:22

Unless you are on military time. ROFL

wingspar
04-10-16, 19:30
I wonder if stating a poll with all the triggers mentioned in this thread would be beneficial? I’m sure Geissele would be at the top of the poll, but it would be interesting to see where all the others fell.

I want a Geissele, but for as much as I shoot my AR and the cost of the Geissele’s, I have to give serious consideration to a lower cost trigger.

zackmars
04-10-16, 19:34
I wonder if stating a poll with all the triggers mentioned in this thread would be beneficial? I’m sure Geissele would be at the top of the poll, but it would be interesting to see where all the others fell.

I want a Geissele, but for as much as I shoot my AR and the cost of the Geissele’s, I have to give serious consideration to a lower cost trigger.

I used to be the same way, but then i got an SSA...

It's well worth it.

Dogman83
04-11-16, 13:44
I second this. I have one and am quite pleased.

ALG ACT. Excellent trigger for the money. Smooth, steady pull with no grit. I have one in a Haley Jack clone I put together awhile back and I can find nothing to complain about.

STF
04-17-16, 18:13
Another for Geissele followed by ALG.

My SSA was an extreme upgrade over the stock trigger from Daniel Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCMNick
04-18-16, 02:15
If you want "cheap" look into the CMMG fire control group that comes in their Mil-spec lpk. I've used nothing but those triggers on my builds. Probably the most crisp break of any Mil-spec trigger that I've fired, plus you can find them pretty cheap. I upgraded my BCM rifles trigger with their PNT trigger, $60, but the only downfall is that the entire trigger is coated in teflon so it is pretty slippery if you get sweaty palms while shooting like I do so gloves are a must for me. Then I added the JP 3.5lbs. Spring kit and it lighted the pull a tad bit. Came out to $70ish. Hope that helps!

stwings
04-18-16, 08:12
I really dislike it when someone post up about a mil spec trigger and how to improve it as best you can without spending a lot of money and the thread immediately turns to triggers well north of $200.00. We all know those are great triggers, but they don't fit the criteria of the OP's request. ALG, SIONICS, and the like are great options for not a lot of money. I think PSA is making an "enhanced" milspec trigger too but I have no experience with it.

zackmars
04-18-16, 10:39
I really dislike it when someone post up about a mil spec trigger and how to improve it as best you can without spending a lot of money and the thread immediately turns to triggers well north of $200.00. We all know those are great triggers, but they don't fit the criteria of the OP's request. ALG, SIONICS, and the like are great options for not a lot of money. I think PSA is making an "enhanced" milspec trigger too but I have no experience with it.

Because most of us have gone down that exact route, and end up getting said $200 triggers, and then we realize why we were told to buy the $200 trigger.

It makes more sense to get the $200 trigger now, than spend $50 on an enhanced trigger, then buying the $200 trigger anyway.

crosseyedshooter
04-18-16, 12:51
Because most of us have gone down that exact route, and end up getting said $200 triggers, and then we realize why we were told to buy the $200 trigger.

It makes more sense to get the $200 trigger now, than spend $50 on an enhanced trigger, then buying the $200 trigger anyway.

I was pretty happy with my ALG ACT triggers until I tried a friend's Geissele G2S. He spent $135 for his G2S while I spent $65 each on my ACTs. From all accounts, the G2S feels as good as the more expensive SSA, so I'm thinking G2S will be the sweet spot for cost vs performance for me. I'm now keeping an eye out for sales on the G2S!

STF
04-18-16, 13:34

Buy once, cry once.

Buy right, buy once.

Wildcat0313
04-18-16, 13:57
I was pretty happy with my ALG ACT triggers until I tried a friend's Geissele G2S. He spent $135 for his G2S while I spent $65 each on my ACTs. From all accounts, the G2S feels as good as the more expensive SSA, so I'm thinking G2S will be the sweet spot for cost vs performance for me. I'm now keeping an eye out for sales on the G2S!
I bought my G2S on sale for $135 also. Memorial Day weekend Geissele does a big sale usually. Sweet deal on their triggers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

STF
04-18-16, 18:54
I second that. Got my SSA on sale direct from Geissele during a sale last year.

I bought my G2S on sale for $135 also. Memorial Day weekend Geissele does a big sale usually. Sweet deal on their triggers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

AKDoug
04-18-16, 22:17
I'm another SSA shooter. I do it for another reason not mentioned. When I train I have a hell of a time going from a Glock trigger to my old single stage AR mil spec trigger and back the other way. One of my instructors advised me to try an SSA (back before we could get a G2S) and I was in love. I don't regret buying that trigger for one moment. Hell, if I just stop drinking beer and fancy coffees for two weeks I can pay for one.

stwings
04-19-16, 02:07
I'm another SSA shooter. I do it for another reason not mentioned. When I train I have a hell of a time going from a Glock trigger to my old single stage AR mil spec trigger and back the other way. One of my instructors advised me to try an SSA (back before we could get a G2S) and I was in love. I don't regret buying that trigger for one moment. Hell, if I just stop drinking beer and fancy coffees for two weeks I can pay for one.

The SSA is a great trigger, I own two. My work gun has the stock Colt trigger as we are prohibited from modifying the FCG. This is where the ALG and their peers come into play as a way of improving the "stock" trigger.

USMC_Anglico
04-19-16, 05:17

And I specifically asked a number of Army team shooters about triggers just recently (multiple president's 100, distinguished, etc.) including 2 of the 3 living multiple president's trophy winners. They all, 100% recommend geissele. Not one mentioned RRA. I shoot geissele. YMMV.

HelloLarry
04-19-16, 16:20
And I specifically asked a number of Army team shooters about triggers just recently (multiple president's 100, distinguished, etc.) including 2 of the 3 living multiple president's trophy winners. They all, 100% recommend geissele. Not one mentioned RRA. I shoot geissele. YMMV.
I never said the RR was better. The Geissele is a better trigger, but it is also 3x the price.

That said, if you can't win the Nationals with a RR, you can't win the Nationals.

nedceifus
04-21-16, 08:03
Before I would spend $ I would take a Dremel & a polishing wheel to the trigger you have. Look it over close for burrs & manufacturing defects. Then use a quality trigger grease & dry fire it a hundred times. Re grease & assess weather it is livable or not.

nedceifus
04-21-16, 08:05
That being said I have Geissele triggers in 2 of my rifles, a factory trigger slicked up in a 300bk BCM & a factory LMT trigger in another.

Waylander
05-11-16, 17:06
I recently tried two different Ruger Elite 4.5lb Two Stage 452 triggers at a sporting goods store. The two were like night and day. One was good and the other was rough. I like that they come assembled in the test housing and if you need a grip and safety that's a bonus.

They are really a doubled edged sword. If the good one I tried had been a lot better price comparable to online prices I may have bought it. I couldn't justify paying what a G2S costs.

Ordering the Ruger online is a lot cheaper but obviously there's the caveat of not being able to try it before you buy it.

I won't ever sell my SSA though.

Norman
05-12-16, 11:26
I have 3 of the triggers being discussed, here are my thoughts.
RRA: I have about 4,000 rounds through this gun and the only issue is that it has a long reset. When shooting fast, I will occasionally short stroke it.

G2S: Only have about 1,000 rounds through this one. Good trigger, would definitely buy again.

Ruger 452: Ruger isn’t generally known for quality triggers and I would have passed on it but it is packaged so that you can dry fire it and I was impressed enough to try it. The pull is slightly heavier than the G2S but the reset is shorter. Only have about 400 rounds it but so far, so good.

LoboTBL
05-13-16, 09:39
Before I would spend $ I would take a Dremel & a polishing wheel to the trigger you have. Look it over close for burrs & manufacturing defects. Then use a quality trigger grease & dry fire it a hundred times. Re grease & assess weather it is livable or not.

This made me cringe. I know you meant a dremel with the soft polishing wheel attachment and probably some fine jeweler's rouge or polishing compound; but I'm worried about all the wannabe gunsmiths out there going nuts on the trigger and hammer with a grinding attachment or cutoff disc. :nono:

nova3930
05-13-16, 10:22
This made me cringe. I know you meant a dremel with the soft polishing wheel attachment and probably some fine jeweler's rouge or polishing compound; but I'm worried about all the wannabe gunsmiths out there going nuts on the trigger and hammer with a grinding attachment or cutoff disc. :nono:

Just forget the dremel and take it over the bench grinder. That will smooth things out a lot.... ;)

3 AE
05-13-16, 11:44
Thanks one and all. I'll start with the grease first. :D

Paul
Salome, AZ

6 weeks later, no updates from OP on how his trigger group is working out. Plenty of good recommendations offered. Why waste bandwidth?