PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the Kool-Aid

grinchcop
08-21-08, 21:43
Although it's been a pain in the a@@, I will be picking up a new 6920 next week. I had a couple of dealers who'd been more than happy to send one to my receiving dealer, but the hoops that Calif. imposes on out-of-state FFL's are tough to deal with.

Anyway, it's been a long time since owning a Colt, so I hope that the trouble (and expense) will be worth it.

We're issued very old M16A1's through the 10-33 program and those are certainly a testament to durability. I hope that this Colt holds up half as well as those...

John

nickdrak
08-21-08, 22:51
While EVERYONE builds a turd from time to time, I am confident that you made the most informed decision possible. After seeing what comes out of many of the major civilian brand factories on a regular basis on brand-new department purched carbines (loose/un-staked carrier keys, loose/un-staked castle-nuts), I would make the same decision as you did.

Jay Cunningham
08-21-08, 22:54
You should consider the eventual addition of a DD LITE Rail 12.0 FSP:

http://www.danieldefense.com/img/product/7cfd8f95edb336651fee9747e58a6a84.jpg

The LE6920 is still hard to beat.

grinchcop
08-21-08, 23:31
Thekatar;

I have a DD 7.0 on an ADCO upper. Between it and the heavy profile barrel, I'm really looking forward to having something very light and handy in this 6920.

I love the DD products (and the KAC stuff, too), but think I'm going to hold off on adding any weight to the front end.

I have an Armalite NM that I compete with. It has lead all over it and weighs almost 16 lbs. I fear that I'm done with carrying something that feels like a turn-of-the-century elephant gun!

Nickdrak,

I work with some guys who are very proud of personally-owned AR's that scare me. These have been bought as complete rifles and most are very nice, but a few look like they were crafted in huts near the Kyber Pass; uneven anodizing, flaws in the castings, canted FSB's, no staking of keys, elliptical FCG pin holes, cracked bolts when first fired, etc.

On the other hand, we have guys with RRA, BM, Oly and some other rifles that seem to be very nice specimens, so it goes to show you.....you just never know!

Thanks, guys!

Safetyhit
08-22-08, 21:13
Although it's been a pain in the a@@, I will be picking up a new 6920 next week. I had a couple of dealers who'd been more than happy to send one to my receiving dealer, but the hoops that Calif. imposes on out-of-state FFL's are tough to deal with.

Just getting a 6920 in CA is a worthy accomplishment. Though, I do have one here in NJ, but it has minor mandatory modifications. :mad:

grinchcop
08-23-08, 11:43
Safetyhit;

At least the Calif. laws were modified a few years back to allow LEO's (with agency head approval) to obtain what those in power call "assault rifles." I still have to get a letter to have the 10-day waiting period waived and then have to (for a fee) send in all the other paperwork to register the rifle with the department of justice.

Expensive, time consuming and a pain, but at least possible. I really hate California's laws, social climate, etc. At least, being into motorcycles, I can ride year-round!

Broadway
08-23-08, 21:19
The 6920 is pretty much the benchmark AR-15. It certainly one of the top tier production brand/models available, and when it runs right, it should be expected not a pleasant surprise. :D