PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP still relevant?

bad aim
03-29-16, 22:12
When it first came out, it was the bee's knees. Continuous top rail, quick change barrels, and a super slim rail. But it was slightly heavy.

Fast forward to 2016 and now we see a trend for lighter rifles as well as a ton of extended rails on the market. Does anyone still use theirs regularly over other options on the market today?

sevin8nin
03-29-16, 23:31
Ive always like the looks of the lmt mrp. Currently own a cqb, rifle length and the mws.
For comparison i also have a custom noveske with a long KAC urx but for some reason i keep coming back to the mrp chassis.

9mm_shooter
03-29-16, 23:53
MRP still makes sense as a reliable piston gun. It can be converted to DI, but there are lighter options out there. The ease with which barrels of different calibers and lengths can be swapped out is an added plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEOZZ
03-30-16, 00:06
I'll continue using them. I've owned at least one as my primary AR for the last 10 years

CrabNSR
03-30-16, 00:21
Don't know about MRP or piston guns, but LMT's CQB16 is replacing their AUG's and it has the same monolithic receiver.

quackhead
03-30-16, 01:41
Still a very viable option. Continuous, integrated rail- solid system. The quick change barrels are also a plus

Duffy
03-30-16, 10:32
My 2004 vintage MRP is still the AR I shoot all the time, despite having built many other AR variants since then;) I never did change out the barrel for another caliber, I just like the one piece upper and handguard, I can put my stuff anywhere without worrying about straddling what would normally be two separate parts.

pinzgauer
03-30-16, 10:43
They are unpopular and out of fashion, you should unload yours immediately. Just to help you out, I'll trade you a good basic kiss carbine for it, as I would not want you to suffer further humiliation from ownership!

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

rushca01
03-30-16, 11:00
I think they are still a good choice, I think they dropped the ball with their skinny/light rail though. They should have gone with a keymod rail.

pointblank4445
03-30-16, 11:36
It's not trendy, but if good-shooting, reliable workhorses are "relevant" then yes.

If you're looking...
https://www.rainierarms.com/upper/complete-uppers/ar-15?p=2

Benito
03-30-16, 11:40
I think they are still a good choice, I think they dropped the ball with their skinny/light rail though. They should have gone with a keymod rail.

I totally agree. A monolithic KeyMod/MLok rail would have been sweet, but I think they released their "slim" MRP/MWS just before KeyMod came out. I might be mistaken on that, though.

Firefly
03-30-16, 12:42
I have an LMT rifle but not an MRP.

It's on the bucket list.

rushca01
03-30-16, 12:52
I totally agree. A monolithic KeyMod/MLok rail would have been sweet, but I think they released their "slim" MRP/MWS just before KeyMod came out. I might be mistaken on that, though.

I think you may be correct or they were within months of each other. For the money I think they also dropped the ball by not including steel inserts in their mounting holes. Repeatedly screwing and unscrewing from aluminum would be a concern of mine. Centurion Arms I think realized this and included steel inserts in their slim rails, but they are also releasing both a keymod and m-lok rail this year....

Renegade
03-30-16, 13:06
When it first came out, it was the bee's knees. Continuous top rail, quick change barrels, and a super slim rail. But it was slightly heavy.

Fast forward to 2016 and now we see a trend for lighter rifles as well as a ton of extended rails on the market. Does anyone still use theirs regularly over other options on the market today?

Mine is still my go-to hog gun for 556.

jstalford
03-30-16, 14:48
How is it compared to the monolithic Colts?

rushca01
03-30-16, 15:01
I'll also add they go quick here on the EE, that should be a clue.

ARETE
03-30-16, 19:44
They were well represented at a recent TAPS course I attended (mine continues to work fine).

krichbaum
03-30-16, 19:48
I enjoy the wide variety of "standard" AR15's and configurations enabled by the insane aftermarket support, but my favorite is still the MRP. I trust them the most, I enjoy them the most, and if I could only have one it would be an MRP.

bad aim
03-30-16, 22:16
"Relevant" was a poor choice of wording on my part. One of the top selling points of the MRP was the quick barrel-change feature, I was just curious if anyone has actually constantly changed barrels once getting one? We all have that "oh yeah, I'm definitely going to be using that feature!" when we buy something, but then maybe realize that you can have an entire new barrel + upper for about a hundred or so more.

Too bad Spike's no longer offer their .22LR MRP barrel...seemed like a fun and cheap way to pull the MRP out for more practice. I know Marvin can convert barrels, but it's just an added expense.

Stickman
03-30-16, 23:32
It is as relevant as the quad rail VIS.

krichbaum
03-31-16, 04:53
The quick change barrel feature is not one of the reasons I love the MRP but it's still nice to have that feature. It makes cleaning the barrel, in particular the chamber and locking lugs, a lot easier. Return to zero with the same barrel is pretty darn good, but swapping to a different barrel will usually require re-zero of the optic in my experience.

Yes, you could put together a cheap standard upper for a little more than the cost of an MRP barrel straight from LMT. But the resulting assembly won't be nearly the quality you get in the MRP in my opinion. And keep in mind, the MRP barrels are *very* good barrels.

strambo
03-31-16, 12:30
I love my MRP CQB. Only downside is weight. If they came out with a slim M-Lok CQB and/or rifle length railed upper, I be all over one of those!

3ACR_Scout
03-31-16, 20:24
My brother's local shop outside Boston (believe it or not) had two complete MRP rifles on clearance for $1000 each. He balked at buying one because he would have paid extra to have it modified to be MA compliant. I'm kicking myself for not calling them to see if they would ship one out of state, but money's been a little tight. I've had an LMT lower sitting around for almost 9 years waiting to add an MRP upper to it. I just have never felt ready spending that much for the upper, even though I know it's a top quality piece of gear (but I definitely should have bought the complete rifle!). I still intend to buy one eventually - just need to keep saving up for it. I'm really interested in SBRing one and trying it out as a 300 BLK platform to take advantage of the interchangeable barrels.

Dave

jstalford
03-31-16, 20:25
So like. Is it too late to call, lol?

wesr228
03-31-16, 21:51
So like. Is it too late to call, lol?

Yea... I'll help out the merchant! I love my MRP. First AR I bought, and I still love to shoot it. Sometime this summer I plan to buy an extra barrel and have it sent off for a re-contour and cut/pinned just to loose some weight; that HBAR is heavy. I wouldn't pay full price for another quad rail, but if they ever offer mlok/km versions I would be all over that. I think the cost to change out the machining would have to be pretty expensive.

I was hoping to see some lightweight barrels at shot, but still only see the .308's have that option.

w3453l
04-01-16, 21:17
If an updated version with M-LOK/Keymod slick upper was released + paired with their new full Ambi MARS-L (?) lower... This would be a very nice package

Jim D
04-01-16, 22:25
Who would want a fixed length, wide, heavy, quad rail rifle with restricted barreling options... all at a premium price?

You can change rails and barrels on an Aero Precision enhanced upper receiver rapidly, too, for a fraction of the cost.

I didn't see the appeal then, and still don't. But then again the 6940 never did a thing for me, either.

Sure, it runs well, just like dozens of other guns on the market.

JoshNC
04-01-16, 22:55
Who would want a fixed length, wide, heavy, quad rail rifle with restricted barreling options... all at a premium price?

You can change rails and barrels on an Aero Precision enhanced upper receiver rapidly, too, for a fraction of the cost.

I didn't see the appeal then, and still don't. But then again the 6940 never did a thing for me, either.

Sure, it runs well, just like dozens of other guns on the market.

You've clearly never owned one. They are awesome rifles. If you are into the fad of changing out handguards every season, then sure the MRP is not for you. If you want a killer rifle, that is made by a top tier manufacturer with a unique feature set that is actually innovative, and don't feel the need to swap handguards then it's a great option.

If an updated version with M-LOK/Keymod slick upper was released + paired with their new full Ambi MARS-L (?) lower... This would be a very nice package

It would be cool if MLOK and Keymod were available, but certainly not a deal killer.

Jim D
04-02-16, 08:01
You've clearly never owned one. They are awesome rifles. If you are into the fad of changing out handguards every season, then sure the MRP is not for you. If you want a killer rifle, that is made by a top tier manufacturer with a unique feature set that is actually innovative, and don't feel the need to swap handguards then it's a great option.

It would be cool if MLOK and Keymod were available, but certainly not a deal killer.

I don't need to own one to be familiar with it. I've worked for two different LMT dealers, and some of my training buddies have them. I've spent plenty of time shooting and handling them, I've never wanted to buy one as a result of that.

What does a "killer rifle with innovative features" mean to me in the real world? It has nothing to offer me.

krichbaum
04-02-16, 10:30
Well, one thing it means is that it is a true monolithic upper, which has advantages. That alone sets it apart from 99% of the rest but I understand that feature doesn't have value to everyone, kind of like the easy barrel swaps.

Pappabear
04-03-16, 13:59
How is it compared to the monolithic Colts?
I have the colt version in a 10.3 barrel, the VLTOR VIS in a 11.5 Noveske and the MWS.

The Colt does not tout barrel / caliber change but it's a bad ass gun. I like the sturdy feel, they all make solid uppers. The price is weight. I have heavy guns and light guns, and enjoy both. Even when I ran a Colt 6940 in 16 inches, the rail doesn't extend too far so the weight was more centered so it wasn't bad.

I think with Colt, LMT, or Vltor custom build upper you are going to be happy. I really like the folding front site gas block on the colt. They are the most solid sturdy feeling uppers on the planet. I have no piston guns but would like to get the LMT MRP 12 inch piston.

Good luck

jstalford
04-03-16, 14:15
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have nice toys...

Leuthas
04-03-16, 16:07
The MWS set out at a point where .308 carbine rifles weren't very popular among the civilian/LE market, and that shows. It is certainly still relevant, but not for a role better suited towards lighter rifles. So far as the 5.56 MRP... That's another story.

I don't need to own one to be familiar with it. I've worked for two different LMT dealers, and some of my training buddies have them. I've spent plenty of time shooting and handling them, I've never wanted to buy one as a result of that.

What does a "killer rifle with innovative features" mean to me in the real world? It has nothing to offer me.

Your comparison of Aero Precision to LMT is interesting.

pinzgauer
04-03-16, 18:05

I like AP for certain things, and use their receivers at times if I decide to build a lower rather than just get an LMT complete lower.

But I can't think of a time I'd even use Aero Precision in the same sentence with LMT in terms of quality and rep comparison.

pinzgauer
04-03-16, 18:06
Also, if the MRP was Mlock I'd have one!

Leuthas
04-03-16, 19:56
I like AP for certain things, and use their receivers at times if I decide to build a lower rather than just get an LMT complete lower.

But I can't think of a time I'd even use Aero Precision in the same sentence with LMT in terms of quality and rep comparison.
I've known some of the machine operators at AP for years - since they were making aircraft components for Boeing - and I have a lot of respect for the skill there. They have fine machining. With that said, they are not long-hardened and experienced weapon engineers.

Also, if the MRP was Mlock I'd have one!
There is a lot that could be done on the monolithic concept from LMT. Maybe we'll see that in the future.

jwinch2
04-03-16, 20:03
I still have mine, and have zero intention of getting rid of it.

bad aim
04-03-16, 20:46
Whelp, I just picked up a 16" rifle-length MRP from Rainier and a Noveske lower to mate it to. Thought long and hard and figured that I can turn it into an 18" SPR down the line and later, pick up a CQB MRP and SBR it.

Consider me sold.

quackhead
04-04-16, 01:09

I'm curious as to what turned you off to LMT - is it all their rifles or just the MRPs? I have been using them for the past 12-13 years and find them boringly reliable with very hard use

Pappabear
04-04-16, 13:14
I seriously doubt anyone has issues with LMT base guns. They make first tier hard use weapons. But the MRP design is expensive and heavy and that is where people balk. Folks used to say " if something gets broke the whole upper dies" , well that is a dead issue in large part since they are built like tanks and has not been a significant issue from users.

In the AR10 world, the spec via military contracts for quick change barrels and caliber make it a big plus. And the MRP design makes that a perfect marriage.

Jim D
04-04-16, 16:20
I'm curious as to what turned you off to LMT - is it all their rifles or just the MRPs? I have been using them for the past 12-13 years and find them boringly reliable with very hard use

Nothing against their quality, but their pricing is way too high for what you get, and the MRP has nothing of value to offer me.

I also think their factory BUIS sights are awful (clunky, heavy, over priced, snag prone, and with exposed dials)

Why?

About the only thing that people can get excited about is a 1 piece upper/rail, and "quick change barrels".

Well an LMT upper (probably no BCG) is over $1200:
http://www.lmtstore.com/uppers/c-5-6c7-xxxxxxxx.html

An Aero enhanced upper uses a reverse barrel nut, so there is no timing necessary, you just torque and slip the handguard back on, then tighten the 8 handguard retention screws. So, it's different tools to do the change, but I could probably remove and rebarrel an AP enhanced upper in the time it takes someone to smoke a cigarette (keeping in mind that no-one I ever knew that had one ever changed calibers on their LMT MRP... but I'll play along).

So in contrast, an AP complete enhanced upper setup would be $415-$450:
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-556-16-mid-complete-upper.html

Now with that setup you can use barrels from Ballistic Advantage, Noveske, Krieger, etc. You can go between quad rails, MLOK or KeyMod... change between a 7" rail with an SBR length barrel, or do a 15" rail with an SPR setup, etc... for literally a third the price... what did you give up... a continuous upper? Who REALLY needs to mount optics forward of where a traditional upper receiver would end?

A new MRP in gas, 5.56mm, 16" barrel is $2300.
http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-weapon-systems-firearms-guns/5-56-modular-weapon-system.html

I'd much rather put $250 into an AP enhanced upper and rail, $130 into an AP BCG, $220 into a Ballistic Advantage barrel with pinned GB and gas tube, $90 into an AP stripped lower, $93 into an ALG LPK with QMS trigger, $150 for a B5 SOPMOD stock furniture kit and buffer tube assembly, $16 charging handle, and $150 for MBUS Pro sights, and I've got a gun guaranteed to shoot MOA with match ammo with an ALG trigger for ~$1,100.

I can literally buy two of those for the price of one LMT MRP, and have two guns instead the ability to change barrels on one.

I can also use any normal barrel on the market I want, and change rail lengths any time I like... and the gun will weigh less while doing it.

Now maybe they're selling for better than sticker on the MRP, but I'd bet I can put an Aimpoint and a light on the AP and still come in under the street price of the MRP.

So long story long... that's why I don't think LMT is competitive in the current market, or why I don't think the MRP is "relevant" today.

Leuthas
04-04-16, 17:59
If your concern is price, that's fine, but the quality of LMT products is incomparably above that of AP. I say that as an owner of both, and being closely tied with production guys at AP here in Washington.

Jim D
04-04-16, 18:04
If your concern is price, that's fine, but the quality of LMT products is incomparably above that of AP. I say that as an owner of both, and being closely tied with production guys at AP here in Washington.

So, if you're going to put it like that... what then, exactly, are you getting for your extra $1200 over the build I suggested.

I consider a rifle that runs to be "quality", and the build I gave you contained a barrel with an accuracy guarantee... which is something you aren't getting at literally double the price.

Leuthas
04-04-16, 18:12
So, if you're going to put it like that... what then, exactly, are you getting for your extra $1200 over the build I suggested.

I consider a rifle that runs to be "quality", and the build I gave you contained a barrel with an accuracy guarantee... which is something you aren't getting at literally double the price.

There is a copious amount of information here regarding the differences between low, mid and high grade ARs, and which manufacturers belong in each category so I won't discuss that, but I think it's important to point out that accuracy is not the only determining factor in quality.

If you're interested, the thread here regarding Anderson lowers is a good source for some information on the shortcomings of lower quality components - particularly receivers.

Jim D
04-04-16, 18:22
There is a copious amount of information here regarding the differences between low, mid and high grade ARs, and which manufacturers belong in each category so I won't discuss that, but I think it's important to point out that accuracy is not the only determining factor in quality.

Correct, and yet you can't seem to point to much that justifies the difference in price, it would seem.

That's why I listed known good quality components. Putting together a good working AR isn't wizardry... all the info to do it is out there on sites like this one.

Do it another way... take a Colt 6920 OEM2 at $750, add some furniture and sights, drop the barrel into an AP enhanced upper received and rail, and you're still around $1200. Is the Colt 6920 "not in the same league" now?

Leuthas
04-04-16, 18:30
I thought there was a point, but demonstrating you can build an AR cheaper than an MRP isn't a point at all. A monolithic upper from LMT isn't a product aimed at those looking to save their pennies. I'll retire to another conversation.

Perhaps a more relevant comparison on your behalf would include the question, "Why should I buy the MRP for $2100, when I could buy a standard LMT for $1700?"

Going4Broke
04-04-16, 19:24
I got my LMT MRP, which I love , delivered and transfered in "like new" condition for $1020.00. Is it now relevent? I believe so and woukd do it again in a heartbeat.

Jim D, I see your point and I too would not pay $2300 for a new MRP when I could put together a rifle like you referenced. I can't justify that expense on a rifle. . . . which is why I bought a used one at a steal.

Hart
04-04-16, 21:53
Can get an MRP CQB with DI carrier for $1700 out the door locally and the light weight rail version for about $100 less. It's still in the 7 lb. range so its not too heavy.

Why the semi auto carrier? The rear sight is solid but with the attachment screw on the charging side of the gun, for right handers, sticking out the way it does I can see someone wrecking
a hand or finger. Optics? The sights are definitely in the way, need flip downs. Monolithic rail is nice especially compared to some of the new flimsy light rails.

It's well built gun and not too far out of price range compared to other top brands not withstanding Colt's pricing these days. I bought one so it's relevant in my book.

Jim D
04-04-16, 22:04
I thought there was a point, but demonstrating you can build an AR cheaper than an MRP isn't a point at all. A monolithic upper from LMT isn't a product aimed at those looking to save their pennies. I'll retire to another conversation.

Perhaps a more relevant comparison on your behalf would include the question, "Why should I buy the MRP for $2100, when I could buy a standard LMT for $1700?"
Fair enough, but I would be inclined to ask the question "what does a basic LMT offer at $1700 that an $800-900 6920 doesn't?"

It might not be a gun on the cheap side, but we're talking about a production carbine... not a semi-custom, built to order 1911 or something. I think something costing $1k+ more than other options with nearly identical performance characteristics warrants some justification.

If someone just has a lust for it, then have at it. But I just don't see what someone is getting for the additional cost.

slow10ker
04-05-16, 17:25
I paid 1699.00 for a MRP at Buds approx 12 weeks ago. It was in their store in Lexington. The showroom sample had a scratch on it. I asked if they had another one and they brought out one that had never been out of the box. It lives in my safe now��

TMS951
04-05-16, 18:13
I think it's a very cool, but by today's standards heavy platform. I have always wanted one, but price, availability and weight have always kept me from actually buying one over other goodies.

If an Mlok version was released I'd probably finally break down and buy an upper.

jstalford
04-05-16, 18:21
Didn't they used to have cut rifled ss barrels for them? Still able to get them?

MegademiC
04-05-16, 20:00
Didn't they used to have cut rifled ss barrels for them? Still able to get them?

They used to be Mike rock barrels, trident has some good info on them. The accuracy was outstanding iirc.

bad aim
04-05-16, 20:11
They used to be Mike rock barrels, trident has some good info on them. The accuracy was outstanding iirc.

Are they no longer made by them?

ALCOAR
04-05-16, 20:17

MegademiC's correct they used to have Rock SS blanks, however nowadays I'm not sure what exactly they're using. My guess is that they are stilling moving towards producing everything in house including their own blanks.

That said, so much of the MRP's inherent accuracy lies within it's unique chassis, and the way it captures the barrel so any quality barrel should shine once mated with a MRP.

The old barrels were indeed excellent :)

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00616-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC00616-1.jpg.html)

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00600-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC00600-1.jpg.html)

bad aim
04-05-16, 23:21
Ah, thanks for the info, Trident. A quick search turned up that they started moving barrels in house around the 2014 mark..have you had any experience with their SS offerings since? Would be curious to see how they shoot compared to the Rocks (if this was, indeed, a money-saving move for LMT).

Find ManBearPig!
04-06-16, 00:26
That said, so much of the MRP's inherent accuracy lies within it's unique chassis, and the way it captures the barrel so any quality barrel should shine once mated with a MRP.

That's an interesting observation, thought it does make a good deal of sense to me. I am wondering though, does the MRP chassis derive the majority of its accuracy from the fact it's a monolithic chassis, and the barrel attachment system is just gravy on top, or is the other way around, where it is the barrel attachment system that makes the rifle so accurate, and the monolithic upper is just an additional bonus?

ALCOAR
04-06-16, 01:36
Ah, thanks for the info, Trident. A quick search turned up that they started moving barrels in house around the 2014 mark..have you had any experience with their SS offerings since? Would be curious to see how they shoot compared to the Rocks (if this was, indeed, a money-saving move for LMT).

It's been some time since I asked about this subject with my friend at LMT, however the last time I did I got a sketchy reply with no real information. What I did take away from the conversation is that he assured me that anything new would meet or exceed the performance of the previous MRP/MWS barrels. From most companies I would take that response with a grain of salt, but from LMT it's different for me. I trust that they will continue to provide the same previous barrel performance standards to any future ones they decide to use.

Congrats on the new MRP by the way:)

That's an interesting observation, thought it does make a good deal of sense to me. I am wondering though, does the MRP chassis derive the majority of its accuracy from the fact it's a monolithic chassis, and the barrel attachment system is just gravy on top, or is the other way around, where it is the barrel attachment system that makes the rifle so accurate, and the monolithic upper is just an additional bonus?

To me it's kinda an equal mix of both aspects, and you can't have one without the other. The main advantages I've found that the MRP/MWS design has over traditional AR upper designs (w/regards to accuracy/precision) are:

1. Reduced barrel flex

2. Increased upper rigidity

3. Significantly improved heat dissipation

The barrel lockup design contributes highly in the reduced barrel flexing, whereas having the one piece monolithic chassis contributes to providing a more rigid structure from which to mount optics/kit on, or when using the rifle in a braced/supported position. Then both aspects marry together to turn the entire URG into a very efficient heat sink.

While the above is true for both the MRP, and MWS tops, I've found the advantages are most obviously seen when shooting, and inspecting the MWS.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/043667fe-a3bb-4687-b6ce-60ed3b81b595_zps63996f83.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/043667fe-a3bb-4687-b6ce-60ed3b81b595_zps63996f83.jpg.html)
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/65bda031-822c-47ac-94be-3f25cef58061_zps65fba322.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/65bda031-822c-47ac-94be-3f25cef58061_zps65fba322.jpg.html)

Benito
04-06-16, 03:28
Jim D. made some damn good points. No doubt the MRP owned the hill for quite a long time, and was way ahead of it's time in 2004, but the market has caught up and surpassed it in many ways. LMT still make outstanding ARs in terms of quality though.

One could even use LMT parts for highly stressed areas, such as the bolt, or even the entire BCG, and still come in way under LMT's pricing on their uppers using the approach in Jim D.'s post.

MikeCLeonard
04-06-16, 21:55
My progression of AR15's over the years:
#1: Bushmster - Sold
#2: LMT MRP - Sold
#3. Colt - Sold
#4. and #5. Noveskes - Sold and Sold
#6. and #7. 10.5" Hk 416's - Sold and Sold
#8. and #9. Back to LMT with twin 11.5" MRP's...and I'm not looking back. No matter what other AR I went to next, it never measured up to how much I liked that first MRP.

mattmcg
03-12-18, 03:18
total necropost but given the excitement around the new LMT products at SHOT 2018, had to give this a bump.

Particularly interested in the MLOK uppers and the 224 Valkyrie barrel options.

Certainly LMT has upped their game!

bad aim
03-12-18, 08:44
Yep, it's good to see the MLOK uppers and their new website is infinitely better to navigate than their old site. A part of me still reeaalllly hope they'll come out with a lightweight .223 barrel option, but I'm not holding my breath.

mattmcg
03-12-18, 15:41
Yep, it's good to see the MLOK uppers and their new website is infinitely better to navigate than their old site. A part of me still reeaalllly hope they'll come out with a lightweight .223 barrel option, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, agreed. A standard lightweight pencil barrel would be nice.

A few years back, I packaged up a 16" barrel and sent it to Marvin Pitts to have it turned down forward and aft of the gas block. Shaved a bunch of weight and didn't break the bank. Now I'm happy with it. Also did a bling barrel with him in the KAC dimple pattern which turned out awesome as well.

scottryan
03-12-18, 18:31
Yep, it's good to see the MLOK uppers and their new website is infinitely better to navigate than their old site.

Of course you can't buy their rubber SLK8 panels by themselves.

They also took the suppressed/unsupressed gas valves off their website.

Slippers
03-12-18, 20:40
I have a pair of the M-Lok MRP receivers, one carbine, one rifle length. Annoyingly, if you have more than one M-Lok accessory mounted, it's basically impossible to remove the barrel without first removing some or all of the accessories. If you have just one accessory mounted, and the screws don't protrude past the back of the m-lok nut, then you can pull the barrel.

Probably not a big deal for most people, but still.

bad aim
03-13-18, 12:52
Have you tried contacting them directly? I know when the new site first launched, a ton of stuff were left off from the old site, but it looks like they're slowly adding things back.

LMT Shooter
03-13-18, 16:51
I have a pair of the M-Lok MRP receivers, one carbine, one rifle length. Annoyingly, if you have more than one M-Lok accessory mounted, it's basically impossible to remove the barrel without first removing some or all of the accessories. If you have just one accessory mounted, and the screws don't protrude past the back of the m-lok nut, then you can pull the barrel.

That kinda bothers me, but thanks for the info.

LMT Shooter
03-13-18, 16:54

Yes to all of this, especially the lw barrel!

Coal Dragger
03-14-18, 01:08
New products look good. Tempting.

jcgodfrey
03-16-18, 01:22
I love my lmt I run at work

patriot_man
03-17-18, 01:34
I think LMT needs to cut M-LOK to the end of the rail instead of an integrated QD. I'd rather have more usable M-LOK.

If it was to remain I'd at least want a steel insert for the QD cup to decrease wear and any potential damage. Just seems odd in how it stands at this point.

Leftie
10-18-20, 11:48

Slight necropost, but does anyone know if this is still an issue with current MLC/MLR uppers? Also curious if this is the case with their large frame MLOK uppers, as it seems like a fairly large limiting factor for those of us who like to mount bipods, foregrips, and lights to our rifles using MLOK.

call_me_ski
10-19-20, 15:33
I imagine that it is still a “problem”. Not much that can be done about it as mlok attachments will occupy more space on the internal side of the handguard. The LM8 is the solution.

Leftie
10-21-20, 08:58
I imagine that it is still a “problem”. Not much that can be done about it as mlok attachments will occupy more space on the internal side of the handguard. The LM8 is the solution.

I spoke with LMT yesterday, and they basically said the same thing. They did note that some of the screws and attachment plates work better than others due to the size and screw length. interestingly, the KDG Kinect MLOK QD mounts were mentioned by name as not having this issue. They did mention that the LM8 does not have this issue, and is compatible with CMR-compatible attachments.

It doesn't sound like LMT is going to modify the internal dimensions of the MLOK compatible monolithic uppers to address what seems to be a minor issue.