PDA

View Full Version : RTI Duty mount kydex slide or MULE ISS carry

SRMartin15
03-31-16, 09:10
Hey everyone!
So I'm deploying and getting issued a M9. Now I am going to be getting a AWS Inc Battle Belt and a G Code XST holster, but I'm looking for a carry solution for my M9. I will be running an IOTV/PC with battle belt setup. I have come up with two solutions and wanted to see what your experience was with either.

First is the G Code RTI duty mount. Now this will easily drop the side arm low enough for me to clear my IOTV/PC in order to draw. My big concern is sitting down in a Vehicle or chair while wearing it. I'm concerned that it will get in the way and was wondering if anyone has this setup and been in a Vehicle for a decent length of time with it on.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/e5b6e59b6843e018aaf1b9daf19166c8.jpg

Second is the G Code MULE ISS. Now I know some people opt out of drop legs, but the MULE rides much higher. My concern is having the strap on my leg all day depending on how much movement I'm doing. What is nice about this setup as well is that it will bend at the waste with me when going in and out of vehicles. I want to get the RTI attachment on the belt that way when I'm not wearing my IOTV/PC I can unclip the MULE and then clip the holster to the Belt directly.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/e4f24d9180f51f1e935f6906a004d0da.jpg
And attach the RTI to this on the belt
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160331/a8da52e2f3207601a5e751f83c4b6751.jpg

Thanks in advanced guys!

SRMartin15
04-02-16, 23:41
Afraid this might have fallen off the radar. Just giving it a friendly bump

Wake27
04-03-16, 01:30
I've used several of the RTI attachments and they are great. Not super low profile, but that's the only downside. I have not used the MULE, because I am not a fan of drop legs like you said. I think you'll have to weigh how much you'll be walking vs riding. I have used the duty mount, if I remember correctly it's sized for 1.75 belts and does slide around quite a bit if you're using a 1.5, even as an inner belt. I use the one above on my molle belt and switch between the paddle or belt slide when not wearing the molle belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikelowrey
04-03-16, 01:52
With the battle belt I would go with the first option. In my duty belt I have the Safariland UBL and will be changing it for the first choice. I have the mule but I only use it with the old belt mount that you can see here (http://www.tacticalholsters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=EW1&Product_Code=GCA77&Screen=SCRNSHOT&scrnshot_offset=1) for when using a 1.5 belt. But remember, you have to plan according to your duties and what would work best in your situation. I would note here that the main reason is to have everything revolve around the RTI wheel because is very convenient.

Best of luck and come back safe. Thank you for your service.

Jellybean
04-03-16, 15:38
SRMartin- Do you mean the AWS LAB belt or something else?

I think what Mike Lowrey pointed out is the key, IE, everything you're looking at revolves around that RTI wheel/3pt attachment system.
The clear solution here is... get both, take them with you, and all your issues will sort themselves out in the field, since you have that RTI system and can easily swap things out as needed.Seriously-you could either change from whichever system isn't working, or simply swap back and forth as mission dictates.

Now, I'm not a military guy but I've had both types of holster in Safariland flavor (a 6395 with UBL, and then 6395 and 7TS on a 6004-10 DL panel with the factory drop strap replaced with something more suitable).
The UBL style (similar to the RTI-Duty mount) *was* my go-to option, as it was really stable when worn and moving, but as soon as I started sitting down with it, there were issues. If you have a knife sheath, this is very easy to envision- attach the sheath to your belt, notice how it hangs straight along your leg. Now squat into a sitting position- notice how the sheath remains oriented vertically like it thinks you're still standing, instead of conforming to the new angle of your leg. If the sheath is long enough to protrude below your ass, there may be issues sitting in a vehicle. Same with a holster.

So, I switched to a DL, which after some slight modification works fine. Personally I found the factory Safariland strap too stiff to bend and flex with my leg when moving or kneeling, etc., and inner velcro constantly popping apart when the strap flexed was annoying as hell. So I replaced it with a DIY strap- It is now comfortable, silent, and flexible. :)

Per movement and comfort of the leg strap- unless you have a very abrasive strap, I think you'll be ok for the most part. I used the DL I have at a couple multi-day classes that involved a *lot* of running around, and I did not experience any chafing or discomfort in general. There will be some slight shifting of the holster, likely toward the front of the thigh, but that's after about 1/3 to 1/2 a day of running around, and is hardly noticeable.
That being said, A) IMHO Safariland has the best elastic leg strap on the market right now- they use a different style of elastic than some others use, which seems a little "softer" than others, and B) obviously I have not worn the thing for an entire deployment, so... YMMV.