PDA

View Full Version : What is your "Beater/Truck rifle"?

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 13:27
Lets re-phrase. What kind of build do you have for a beater/truck rifle? Building one for myself and I am just taking notes and gathering ideas. Price range 500-750.

scooter22
03-31-16, 13:37
Curious to see who all has a cheap AR? Alot of folks wanna show off what they have in top tier builds, but what about the rifles that are bottom of the barrel? Just wanting to see whats out there and what people believe to be cheap.

Cheap as in poor quality, or cheap as in inexpensive?

If the latter, please define a price range that you consider cheap.

Vandal
03-31-16, 13:58
^this, I consider my LE 6920 to be a "cheap" AR.

Ernst
03-31-16, 14:03
"what about rifles that are bottom of the barrel" would imply, as I read it, the OP wants to know about the crappiest AR rifles out there and how badly they are made or not working well.

But the OP does need to clarify.

My "least expensive" AR is a Colt AR-15A4. But it is a solid AR.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 14:31
The OP is curious who all was a Sportical and wont admit it is what Im getting at. BCM DD Larue and LMT score cool points, but I just wanna see who has what. Im talking sub $750 by the way.

Ive had my fair share and am not building the hoghest quality rifle either, but I am collecting parts for that one already on the side

Ernst
03-31-16, 14:33
You don't need anyone's permission to build a low-budget potentially crappy AR.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 14:36
You don't need anyone's permission to build a low-budget potentially crappy AR.

I wasnt asking that. So i see that a Colt is low end for you. Thats great. Next?

Ernst
03-31-16, 14:38
I bought the ARs that I bought after carefully researching all my options and investing in what I felt would be good ARs for my purposes. I did not go "cheap." Seems to me you are just trying to chum the water for a stupid argument. I think there's another forum for that.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 14:43
Not at all. Looking to see what others have that they have success with that I can use as a template.

Ernst
03-31-16, 14:44
Then why didn't you start the thread by saying that?

Instead you said: "The OP is curious who all was a Sportical and wont admit it is what Im getting at."

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 14:50
Youre absolutely right. The respectful nature of my comments has slammed you into a defensive corner to use derrogatory terminilogy to demean the topic. I am the one starting crap. I need a mod to delete this

StrikeFace
03-31-16, 14:52
Is this a thread where guys talk about the $600 Ruger (https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html) and S&W (https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-15-sport-811036-rifle-5-56-nato-16-inch-30rd-black.html) ARs out there? I believe those are the most common inexpensive Big Box ARs that Joe Sixpack is likely to see, although I haven't been in a gun shop in a minute nor am I up to date on what Bushmaster and Olympic Arms are pooping out these days.

I purchased several Aero Precision (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-ac-15-mid-length-rifle.html) ARs on deep discount from Brownell's for that roughly the same price. Cheapest ARs I've ever bought.

Firefly
03-31-16, 14:53
A bone stock 6920 is as "cheap" as I would go.

Part of me wants a Wyndham Dissipator for like a truck/camp/screw around gun.

ETA Just because I like the look and profile. Probably just the upper though

RazorBurn
03-31-16, 14:55
Is this a thread where guys talk about the $600 Ruger (https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html) and S&W (https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m-p-15-sport-811036-rifle-5-56-nato-16-inch-30rd-black.html) ARs out there?

I believe those are the most common inexpensive Big Box ARs that Joe Sixpack is likely to see, although I haven't been in a gun shop in a minute nor am I up to date on what Bushmaster and Olympic Arms are pooping out these days.

I purchased several Aero Precision (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-ac-15-mid-length-rifle.html) ARs on deep discount from Brownell's for that roughly the same price. Cheapest ARs I've ever bought.

Wow, it only took 2 pages for someone to figure out...

I have a couple of PSA "Premium" builds to go along with my "higher" value Colt and two BCM's.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 14:56
Go ahead. I had a Diamondback this summer, got it in the cash needed part if the trade. I am starting to scavenge for parts. Dont k ow whats worth while skipping over. Trying to put a few together on the lower end. Didnt know if it was cheaper to buy one out right

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 15:01
When BCM has lpks in ill be using one in my crappy build.

Uprange41
03-31-16, 15:18
I have an M&P Sport that I believe has a little over 1500 rounds, maybe 2000, through it. It's been fine.

It's the only cheap AR I'd buy, and I didn't buy it as a tool anyway... When I figured out that I wanted an AR to rely on and really start training around, I got a BCM.

Mrgunsngear
03-31-16, 15:25
Wow, it only took 2 pages for someone to figure out...

I have a couple of PSA "Premium" builds to go along with my "higher" value Colt and two BCM's.

As do I.

To the OP---this kit was on PSA's site last week for $599, add a lower and MBUS and you're under $700 even in today's market (I got this about 3 years ago):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vhan5sq6lo

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 15:50
As do I.

To the OP---this kit was on PSA's site last week for $599, add a lower and MBUS and you're under $700 even in today's market (I got this about 3 years ago):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vhan5sq6lo
I will look into that. I aready have 1 set of receivers and 2 lowers. The a1 olympic upper is going to be a x39 build. Dont see the sense in dimping copious amounts of cash into that. I got the stripped upper for next to nothing.

Coal Dragger
03-31-16, 16:03
I have a CMMG that was a steaming pile of crap. Now it is merely a pile of crap after some upgrades, but no longer steaming.

I regret buying it. Should have educated myself a lot more back in 2005 when I bought it.

26 Inf
03-31-16, 16:42
Go ahead. I had a Diamondback this summer, got it in the cash needed part if the trade. I am starting to scavenge for parts. Dont k ow whats worth while skipping over. Trying to put a few together on the lower end. Didnt know if it was cheaper to buy one out right

There you go, thats what I was thinking you were after.

My answer - it depends.

I have built all of mine using various lowers, LPKs, BCG's, barrels and rails. All of them ended up costing north of what I could have bought a Colt 6920.

If you are happy with a carbine length gas system, and handguards, I'd say you are better off buying a 6920, wait until someone runs a sale. You are probably going to be ahead buying a 6920 OEM 2 if you just want to have a rifle with a free float rail.

I really don't think a regular non-dealer/non-gunsmith joe can build a rifle less than you could buy a comparable quality one - simply because of discounts they can get and the regular joe doesn't.

I like putting them together, I'm so silly I buy bolt carrier group kits, I also prefer rifle length gas systems, I own one carbine length and it is on a pistol.

That is my take.

bigwagon
03-31-16, 17:03
I built this 723 carbine clone for under $600. It all started with the upper receiver I scored for $35 at a gun show. I found the stock in a parts box for $5. The rest, including the lower, LPK, Colt 6520 barrel and BCG, I paid closer to retail prices for.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w273/bigwagon/34a59631-d688-43f6-9d78-8d0abb0bfa9a_zpsekwti3uh.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/bigwagon/media/34a59631-d688-43f6-9d78-8d0abb0bfa9a_zpsekwti3uh.jpg.html)

StrikeFace
03-31-16, 17:13
I really don't think a regular non-dealer/non-gunsmith joe can build a rifle less than you could buy a comparable quality one - simply because of discounts they can get and the regular joe doesn't.

I concur. I've priced out dozens of builds and almost always end up buying a complete rifle or upper/lower and then modifying it based solely on convenience. I am that guy that buys KAC assembled lowers.

I wanted a "disposable" trunk gun / home defense gun... got some basic guns on sale. I wanted a Gucci builds for training for work and for gaming, I shopped around and bought the uppers/lowers.

*legit retro build*

Very nice. I miss BDUs and slick CAR stocks.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 17:36
I built this 723 carbine clone for under $600. It all started with the upper receiver I scored for $35 at a gun show. I found the stock in a parts box for $5. The rest, including the lower, LPK, Colt 6520 barrel and BCG, I paid closer to retail prices for.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w273/bigwagon/34a59631-d688-43f6-9d78-8d0abb0bfa9a_zpsekwti3uh.jpg (http://s178.photobucket.com/user/bigwagon/media/34a59631-d688-43f6-9d78-8d0abb0bfa9a_zpsekwti3uh.jpg.html)

That's what my x39 will be looking like. The upper and fsb I got for 80 shipped. even though its Olympic, I don't think I did too bad. Would have easily had more in it buying new and or higher on the food chain. Although yours is pretty legit, I'll be using the heavy barrel.

Iraqgunz
03-31-16, 17:51
WE AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THIS ANOTHER PIC THREAD.

dusterdude
03-31-16, 18:22
500.00 before sights,300 blackout

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

TMS951
03-31-16, 19:07
I have a Colt 6720

Freelance
03-31-16, 19:28
I have an Olympic Arms that I've had for 24 + years that was cheap and has always run like a champ, paid about $500 as I recall.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 20:27
I have an Olympic Arms that I've had for 24 + years that was cheap and has always run like a champ, paid about $500 as I recall.

Thats what I'm talkin about! That doesnt speak for current production, but let me ask, do you post up pictures or brag on it?

Ernst
03-31-16, 20:28
What difference does it make to you what people say about their ARs and what pictures they post of them?

Really weird stuff.

Berserkr556
03-31-16, 20:32
I have a bunch of BCMs and a few Colts but I couldn't pass up a S&W M&P15 Sport for 500. out the door. That's my cheap AR. IIRC I have about 5,000 rounds through it without a problem except one mag that was junk.

Jpoe88
03-31-16, 20:42
What does it matter to you if I care about that? Its like the picture threads. Why are they there? Do they meet your approval? I hope so!
What difference does it make to you what people say about their ARs and what pictures they post of them?

Really weird stuff.

See most folks brag on top tier rifles. Seems like several folks come out of the woodwork that have good experience with a low end setup. Does it mean its the best? Nah. Just thought this could be fun thread. Dont know why youre trolling it if youre not interested.. thats kinda weird.

Caduceus
03-31-16, 20:52
My 'cheapest' is a Smith and Wesson MP 15 ORC.

Though I have some PSA uppers (in 5.56, 6.8 and 7.62x39), none of them are my SHTF guns. They also tend to be my 'try out that configuration' and get sold down the road.

Lefty223
03-31-16, 21:02
Four years ago I bought an 'as new' in the box ATI piston-driven (Adams Arms kit installed as it was made) AR from my LGS for $500, used. Lower parts like bolt catch are pure crap, but she chugs along and has been 100% reliable. Truth be told, that's what got me into 5.56s and ARs ... although I now prefer them in 30-cal varieties ...

Circle_10
03-31-16, 21:40
My first AR was a CMMG upper on a Rock River complete lower. I ended up selling the upper without firing it. Ditto for a Del-ton upper I had for a while.

I still have the Rock River lower, but I switched out the receiver extension for a BCM one, put an "H" buffer in it, stuck a BCM lightweight carbine upper on it, spray painted it, and it's now my beater/steel case shooter AR and the one I'm most apt to grab when just cruising around country backroads or messing around in the woods. It was zeroed with XM855 but I mostly just shoot Wolf through it.

noonesshowmonkey
03-31-16, 21:56
I picked up a .gov overrun Troy Defense carbine for $599 during Black Friday and it has done extremely well over the course of a few thousand rounds.

26 Inf
03-31-16, 22:10

Really weird stuff.

I don't participate in them, but dang, Ernst, did someone steal your Mr. Magoo glasses?

You are in the AR General Discussion - go back and look at the top section, always at the top - AR Picture Thread; go to Handguns - Glock, M&P, etc.picture threads; shotgun - same thing; tactical gear - show your load out; and so on.

Some of these guys post pictures of their fricking watches, laying next to their pistol. Freud would stroke out. :dance3:

Jeez.

wildcard600
03-31-16, 22:31
I built a cheap jeep/camping/beater pistol out of cast off bits from friends and PSA sale parts. I think i have about $600 into it, $400 of that is the BCM upper.

ICEMAN550
03-31-16, 22:42
I have a S&W Sport that I paid $500 new from Bud's a couple years ago. I have run it hard just to see what it can take. So far 3000 plus rounds of mostly xm193, with several close range (15-50 yds) mag dumps after body armor drills. That rifle is the best beater I could have found. My other ARs I have $1500 into a build and $2300 into a DD with aimpoint, back up sights , geiselle trigger and surefire. Sometimes I wish instead of the $1500 build that I bought 3 more sports.

Ernst
04-01-16, 09:07
I don't participate in them, but dang, Ernst, did someone steal your Mr. Magoo glasses?

You are in the AR General Discussion - go back and look at the top section, always at the top - AR Picture Thread; go to Handguns - Glock, M&P, etc.picture threads; shotgun - same thing; tactical gear - show your load out; and so on.

Some of these guys post pictures of their fricking watches, laying next to their pistol. Freud would stroke out. :dance3:

Jeez.

OK, you probably have a point. I thought the OP's whole approach was bizarre, but to each his own.

I should start posting up my "Tier 1" operationally operating gear and bragging about it.

:)

JoshNC
04-01-16, 09:21

Exactly. Why buy cheap, lesser quality ARs? Such rifles would just sit in the back of the safe; red-headed step children never seeing use. Nope. Life is too short to own junk.

IndianaBoy
04-01-16, 10:21
My cheapest AR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/20140403_004000_resized_zps2d1aa5e0.jpg

Primus Pilum
04-01-16, 10:38
BCM and Colt are as "cheap" in both quality and price I will go. 6720 & BCM parts guns are backups to SR15's backups of SR15's.

Primus Pilum
04-01-16, 10:39
Exactly. Why buy cheap, lesser quality ARs? Such rifles would just sit in the back of the safe; red-headed step children never seeing use. Nope. Life is too short to own junk.

G&R sells the 6720 for $799. At that price, nothing touches quality/value. Everyone should buy one or two and throw under a bed or in a closet. That is as cheap as you will ever see a quality factory AR.

Ernst
04-01-16, 10:40
There are three things in life I will put up with but do not prefer:

Cheap women.
Cheap beer.
Cheap ARs.

BuzzinSATX
04-01-16, 11:50
There are three things in life I will put up with but do not prefer:

Cheap women.
Cheap beer.
Cheap ARs.

The following question is being asked by a guy who enjoys a nice cold Miller High Life from time to time...

Hey Bro, what in the name of all that is holy is wrong with cheap women?

LOL!

26 Inf
04-01-16, 11:53
OK, you probably have a point. I thought the OP's whole approach was bizarre, but to each his own.

I should start posting up my "Tier 1" operationally operating gear and bragging about it.

Yep. I was wondering, do you think accountants and CPA forums has threads for EDC pen pictures?

Tzook
04-01-16, 11:59
I wouldn't mess around much with anything much cheaper than PSA. I would have bought a S&W for 500 bucks or less if I could have, but not for more. I suppose if it isn't fulfilling any vital role there isn't anything wrong with having a dirt cheap carbine or two, stuffed away for a rainy day, but if you're betting your life on a 450 dollar ATI gun... God help you.

JC5188
04-01-16, 12:08
I have a CMMG that was a steaming pile of crap. Now it is merely a pile of crap after some upgrades, but no longer steaming.

I regret buying it. Should have educated myself a lot more back in 2005 when I bought it.

I fondled one of those for about 30 secs about that same timeframe. Controls felt like they had sand in them and the finish was horrible. Fortunately, I already had an AR for a baseline.

OP...cheapest I currently (or plan to) own is a 6920 Magpul. I'd have preferred the base rifle which is cheaper though.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-01-16, 13:40
PSA or Spikes would probably be the cheapest I'd buy.

Jpoe88
04-01-16, 14:01

I cannot believe I uave even indulged or dignified anything youve said. One other person has. Go blow smoke out your ass elsewhere.

As for the aforementioned Diamondback, it was gone after the first range trip. Couldnt hit the barn side of a broad.

T2C
04-01-16, 14:44

There is some merit to your comment. I've prices parts to build uppers in the past and ended up buying a complete upper for less than the cost of the parts to build one.

Zirk208
04-01-16, 15:38
In the words of Sterling Archer, "Phrasing."

Had you asked guys to discuss their knock around, beater, truck guns, range guns, used and abused, red headed step-child guns, you would have got some real good feedback. Instead you mentioned the dirty word, "Cheap" and the fallout ensued. Cheap and M4Carbine don't play well together, and as you can see few are willing to admit it.

sparky-kb
04-01-16, 15:39
I fondled one of those for about 30 secs about that same timeframe. Controls felt like they had sand in them and the finish was horrible. Fortunately, I already had an AR for a baseline.

My cheapest is a 14.7 pinned CMMG from 2006 or so. Maybe 2007. I didn't know much about AR's outside of issue weapons so I figured they were all pretty much the same. There weren't too many 14.5-14.7 pinned options available at the time (that I was aware of anyways) so I just went with the CMMG.

It's actually been a pretty decent rifle. It's not got a super high round count but it gets shot. It's my beater "trunk" gun now and all the extras on it are just the leftover parts I had laying around. KAC M4 RAS, KAC vert grip and rail covers, Surefire M951, Vltor clubfoot Modstock, chopped carry handle rear sight, DD or MI QD forward sling mount, VTAC padded sling. All covered in a well worn rattlecan paint job circa 2007.

As far as cheap rifles go now, I don't have much experience with the budget companies out there. I'm really wanting a mid-length "mock dissipator" upper right now but there aren't any options available from the higher quality companies. I may just go with a PSA mock dissipator upper when they are on sale but I'm not sure if it's worth rolling the dice on their quality. Maybe I'll just send a mid-length 16 inch BCM barrel out to be turned to .625 in front of the gas block and have a .625 FSB pinned in place....

ww2farmer
04-01-16, 15:50
I have several.............by this forums standards "cheap" AR's..................a couple PSA mid-length rifle kits that I got stupid cheap during the past few black Friday sales, one strapped to an Aero Precision lower, one strapped to an Anderson lower, one barrel is chrome lined 1/7 twist from their "premium" line, one is a non-chrome lined 1/9 twist from their "freedom" line. Both have nothing but plain jane Magpul MOE furniture slapped on them. Both have regular "F" marked FSB's, one with a Primary Arms red dot/magpul rear mbus, the other with a DD A1.5 fixed rear sight. They run like champs, and I semi abuse them. They gobble up everything I feed them, from Tula, to my crappy plinking grade reloads and every thing else...............I have not had ONE SINGLE malfunction with either. They get tossed in trucks, banged around in tractors, dragged through mud and cowshit, both will shoot shit ammo about 2 MOA at 100 yards off hand with irons, and I have less into both of them than most. Where...........IMHO...............these fall short..............will be on resale value. But I didn't buy them to resell, I bought them to beat the crap out of while I keep a couple of nice ones in the safe on standby for SHTF duty,and they are doing just fine.

My overall line-up is formed from pretty modestly priced stuff. I only have two weapons I have paid over $1000 each for, a SA Inc. M1A, and a Colt 1911. All my garands and M1 carbines came from the CMP, my other 2 AR's (Colt and BCM) were bought slightly used, my other 2 1911's are an old beater USGI Rem. Rand that I paid $300 for 25 years ago, and a Rock Island GI clone that cost me like $250 out of pocket after using gift cards at Cabela's..........both of those run like sewing machines. My carry guns are not fancy...........a Ruger SR9 and a SW Shield 9mm. My fudd guns are all lower end basic stuff..........10/22, a 10/22 take down, a 582 series Mini 14 ranch,a pair of Mossberg 500s (one in magpul furniture, one with the original wood), an old Rem. 700, an old Winchester 94, Ruger MK1..................I consider myself to be just an "average Joe" when it comes to firearms. I am not so in love with AR's that I have to spend $1800+ on one, I like to spread it around.

Jpoe88
04-01-16, 16:05

Had you asked guys to discuss their knock around, beater, truck guns, range guns, used and abused, red headed step-child guns, you would have got some real good feedback. Instead you mentioned the dirty word, "Cheap" and the fallout ensued. Cheap and M4Carbine don't play well together, and as you can see few are willing to admit it.
Lol, I can see that. I was somewhere where a guy classified a SCAR Heavy with a TA31 as a truck gun. Wtf is that? Who does that?

I appreciate all of the comments guys. Phras8ng sucked but I can see how it could have the negative effect.

So far, I guess you could classify this as a truck gun that I am building.

Uprange41
04-01-16, 16:17
Truck guns have to work. I've never agreed with the dirt cheap truck gun concept.

Toys can be as junky as the owner wants.

Jpoe88
04-01-16, 16:29
Truck guns have to work. I've never agreed with the dirt cheap truck gun concept.

Toys can be as junky as the owner wants.
I respect that, I really do. So, may I clarify? Are there plenty of good parts that can be had for less that dont have "certain" names on them? Yes. Being economical doesnt mean buying the cheapest stuff on the market either. But it works for some people who may not pyt but 500 down range in a years time. Me? The past rifles I had that was average per month and i know theres guys that shoot more than that I am very sure!

Freelance
04-01-16, 16:58
No, its a tool, not something I brag on or post a bunch about. People here from my own humble experience tend to be less brag, more about fact and hard data then some of the other sites I peruse, and I really appreciate that :)

Ernst
04-01-16, 17:12

That and the OP went out of his way to disparage people who own more expensive ARs....and then played all "innocent victim" when he got called on it.

Jpoe88
04-01-16, 17:30
That and the OP went out of his way to disparage people who own more expensive ARs....and then played all "innocent victim" when he got called on it. you are dead set to make yourself look like an arrogant ass, arent you? Can I be cool since I bought a barrel nut and delta ring from a higher end company? Do you think it will reject threading onto my olympic upper?

I will rename the post so it is more appealing ok?

Dionysusigma
04-01-16, 17:43
First AR I ever owned was a build on a Stag lower with a Del-Ton midlength upper kit, M4 stock, and UTG's copy of the LMT rear. Literally about as cheap/inexpensive/questionable/bare-bones as anyone could go. I loved that rifle, but sold it (actually for only $50 less than I spent to build it) to pay rent. Never failed me once - a C Products magazine did, though. It had one of its topmost welds break which vomited the rest of the rounds once I was able to rip it out after a double feed. Ran exclusively Magpul and proper USGI after that.

I've since put together several more, but with everything I've learned over the years I'll always lean toward known quality for a higher price. To be honest, I've thought a lot about recreating that first one, but using more reputable parts this time. If I still had that original rifle, though, I'd neither baby it nor mistrust it until it actually died on me, and then replace only what was needed.

I'm part of the camp that sees "daily drivers" as more useful and interesting than "flashy toys" that cost 7 times more.

titsonritz
04-01-16, 18:03
The following question is being asked by a guy who enjoys a nice cold Miller High Life from time to time...

Hey Bro, what in the name of all that is holy is wrong with cheap women?

LOL!

I was thinking the same thing.

My cheapest AR was a Bushmaster before I knew better. I have since sold that POS.

I have an SAR-1 I use for my "truck gun".

Jpoe88
04-01-16, 18:23
I dont dare insult my pallet with cheap trash like High Life...
Pabst all the way!

But seriously, I do like craft beer.. you guys ever had Avondale or Good People? Alabama thing.

Koshinn
04-01-16, 18:28

Part of me wants a Wyndham Dissipator for like a truck/camp/screw around gun.

ETA Just because I like the look and profile. Probably just the upper though

Yeah idk why, dissipators are just really cool.

Then I got one and remembered I don't like iron sights and I can get long FF rails.

SeriousStudent
04-01-16, 18:38
Two people are banned from the constant bickering, baiting and personal attacks. If you have a problem with another poster, use the "Report Post" button. This back and forth bullshit solves nothing.

I don't care who started it, the motarditry will stop.

Beat Trash
04-01-16, 18:50
I bought a Colt 6920 that came with some factory dipped MagPul stock kit for about $799. I pulled off the stock set and sold it on line for about $175. Bringing my cost down to about $624. I had enough AR furnature parts floating around to turn it back into a complete gun again. This is my cheapest Truck Gun.

If I am carrying a Truck gun, reliability is paramount. If I am carrying an AR in my truck or in my trunk, it's for defensive purposes and not as a recreational toy.

I also have a Colt 6720 that I got for a couple hundred more.

It's hard to beat the cost of the Colt 6920 OEM series, so long as you pay the regular price and not any inflated panic prices. That's a lot of gun for a decent price.

Uprange41
04-01-16, 18:53
I respect that, I really do. So, may I clarify? Are there plenty of good parts that can be had for less that dont have "certain" names on them? Yes. Being economical doesnt mean buying the cheapest stuff on the market either. But it works for some people who may not pyt but 500 down range in a years time. Me? The past rifles I had that was average per month and i know theres guys that shoot more than that I am very sure!

You have no way of knowing that, and neither do they. If a person only shoots 500 rounds, they are clueless about how or if their rifle functions.

There's nothing wrong with using an inexpensive but proven rifle, but part of the process of finding out if a rifle won't just fall apart is using it in various conditions.

Has nothing to do with "certain names", "top tier" brands, or any other phrase you've used to hint that you think people here only paid for a brand.

Firefly
04-01-16, 19:02
Part of me wants a Dissipator and part of me wants an HK33 clone.

I don't really need a truck gun I guess but maybe like for camping trips or something..

At risk of smart arsery, I guess my truck gun would be whatever longarm I take to the range. Mainly because I don't really want to leave a rifle in my pov full time

Firefly
04-01-16, 19:06
Yeah idk why, dissipators are just really cool.

Then I got one and remembered I don't like iron sights and I can get long FF rails.

IKR!

I have plans for a URX 4 w/ mlok but still want a dedicated iron sight dissy.

Probably one more in the vein of a Colt 605. Which I could just cobble together. Would want mine with SP1 length stock.

Jwknutson17
04-01-16, 19:29
My truck gun is a suppressed Daniel Defense SBR. (10.9 inch chopped down car barrel to be exact), with M4-2000, Surefire light, aimpoint, BUIS, and MK262's. Don't need any "reach out and touch" rifle for a truck gun, so I went the handy route.

Going4Broke
04-01-16, 19:51
I have several.............by this forums standards "cheap" AR's..................a couple PSA mid-length rifle kits that I got stupid cheap during the past few black Friday sales, one strapped to an Aero Precision lower, one strapped to an Anderson lower, one barrel is chrome lined 1/7 twist from their "premium" line, one is a non-chrome lined 1/9 twist from their "freedom" line. Both have nothing but plain jane Magpul MOE furniture slapped on them. Both have regular "F" marked FSB's, one with a Primary Arms red dot/magpul rear mbus, the other with a DD A1.5 fixed rear sight. They run like champs, and I semi abuse them. They gobble up everything I feed them, from Tula, to my crappy plinking grade reloads and every thing else...............I have not had ONE SINGLE malfunction with either. They get tossed in trucks, banged around in tractors, dragged through mud and cowshit, both will shoot shit ammo about 2 MOA at 100 yards off hand with irons, and I have less into both of them than most. Where...........IMHO...............these fall short..............will be on resale value. But I didn't buy them to resell, I bought them to beat the crap out of while I keep a couple of nice ones in the safe on standby for SHTF duty,and they are doing just fine.

My overall line-up is formed from pretty modestly priced stuff. I only have two weapons I have paid over $1000 each for, a SA Inc. M1A, and a Colt 1911. All my garands and M1 carbines came from the CMP, my other 2 AR's (Colt and BCM) were bought slightly used, my other 2 1911's are an old beater USGI Rem. Rand that I paid $300 for 25 years ago, and a Rock Island GI clone that cost me like $250 out of pocket after using gift cards at Cabela's..........both of those run like sewing machines. My carry guns are not fancy...........a Ruger SR9 and a SW Shield 9mm. My fudd guns are all lower end basic stuff..........10/22, a 10/22 take down, a 582 series Mini 14 ranch,a pair of Mossberg 500s (one in magpul furniture, one with the original wood), an old Rem. 700, an old Winchester 94, Ruger MK1..................I consider myself to be just an "average Joe" when it comes to firearms. I am not so in love with AR's that I have to spend $1800+ on one, I like to spread it around.

Nothing wrong with that.

Boba Fett v2
04-01-16, 22:33
My truck gun is a suppressed Daniel Defense SBR. (10.9 inch chopped down car barrel to be exact), with M4-2000, Surefire light, aimpoint, BUIS, and MK262's. Don't need any "reach out and touch" rifle for a truck gun, so I went the handy route.

I'm of the same mindset. I consider a truck gun something that needs to be reliable above all else because that's the reason why it's in the truck in the first place. If SHTF while you're on the road, wouldn't you want something reliable as opposed to cheap? Sure you could build reliability on a budget, but I wouldn't go all out cheap.

JoshNC
04-01-16, 22:58
Colt 6920, LaRue 7.0 rail, aimpoint comp m2, sopmod stock.

Kalash9305
04-01-16, 23:05
Bulgarian SLR-107CR sidefolder ... :D

Arik
04-02-16, 10:03
To me a cheap gun is one that I bought used. I have a safe full of cheap Glocks, HKs and Colts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

larryp
04-02-16, 10:10
I was wondering if I was the only one who used an AK as a truck gun. Mine is a modified MAK90 with a folding stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/lwrnc1963/practicleak001_zps9ff34ffd.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lwrnc1963/media/practicleak001_zps9ff34ffd.jpg.html)

antlad
04-03-16, 12:20
I don't care who started it, the motarditry will stop.

I love learning new words but was a bit disappointed when motarditry did not show up in the urban dictionary.....

cd228
04-03-16, 12:35
I love learning new words but was a bit disappointed when motarditry did not show up in the urban dictionary.....
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Motard

Split66
04-03-16, 12:39
Do SUV guns count? I don't have a truck at the moment. This gun was not cheap but it takes a beating. It's really handy even with the can thing screwed on the end.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1687/25406804154_af4215e221_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EH7vHu)IMG_5273 (https://flic.kr/p/EH7vHu) by splittiebus 66 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/96653819@N04/), on Flickr

wildcard600
04-03-16, 12:42
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Motard

Whenever I see the word "motard" I think of supermoto bikes.

Had no idea it could mean something else.

twm134
04-03-16, 18:12
I was wondering if I was the only one who used an AK as a truck gun. Mine is a modified MAK90 with a folding stock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/lwrnc1963/practicleak001_zps9ff34ffd.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lwrnc1963/media/practicleak001_zps9ff34ffd.jpg.html)

I have a mak90 that I want to update. It runs great as is but I want to change out the stock and grip. Can you give me any details on your stock and angled receiver adapter?

veeklog
04-03-16, 19:53
My truck gun is also my KISS rifle:

(1) Spike lower receiver with M-4 stock
(2) FN marked M-4 upper
(3) Toolcraft military overrun BCG
(4) Colt 6920 SOCOM barrel cut to 14.7", and 203 cuts machined into barrel by ar15barrels
(5) Colt detachable carry handle
(7) LMT M-4 hand guards

This rifle is a laser, shoots beautifully with irons, and the only thing I need is a IWC light mount. No need for anything more complicated, plus built with quality parts sitting in my spare parts bin. All together I may have about $500 into the rifle

OH58D
04-03-16, 22:54
I've never considered any of my Black Rifles a throw away or beater. The lowest end rifle I ever bought was a Bushmaster with a mini-Y comp back in the ban years. Sold it after 2004 for an LMT. Right now I carry a stock 6920 on horseback with a 20 round mag. Maybe my Army days taught me to care of the weapon since your life could depend on it. In recent years as my income improved a little, I have gotten into the SBR arena and my collection of ARs is close to a dozen. Something to pass onto the kids and grandkids.

Maybe some folks like the OP think it's cool for a weapon to have that battlefield pick up look; resembling something dragged on a gravel road. Not me. Hell, I even hate to drop mags on the ground for a quick change. But I'm not in combat any longer and I'm not training for combat. I can still take care of business if the need arises.

wildcard600
04-03-16, 23:26
I've never considered any of my Black Rifles a throw away or beater. The lowest end rifle I ever bought was a Bushmaster with a mini-Y comp back in the ban years. Sold it after 2004 for an LMT. Right now I carry a stock 6920 on horseback with a 20 round mag. Maybe my Army days taught me to care of the weapon since your life could depend on it. In recent years as my income improved a little, I have gotten into the SBR arena and my collection of ARs is close to a dozen. Something to pass onto the kids and grandkids.

Maybe some folks like the OP think it's cool for a weapon to have that battlefield pick up look; resembling something dragged on a gravel road. Not me. Hell, I even hate to drop mags on the ground for a quick change. But I'm not in combat any longer and I'm not training for combat. I can still take care of business if the need arises.

I doubt most people are talking about abusing thier equipment when they call it a "beater". More likely its a gun that isnt particulary valuable and if it gets worn or scratched up there will not be any (or as much) remorse.

I take care of my jeep pistol, but if the anodizing wears off prematurely or the magpul furniture gets gouged due to the environment it is being subjected to, i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

MistWolf
04-03-16, 23:33
My first "truck gun" was a 10/22 Ruger when I was a kid. It went everywhere with me. I've had other "truck guns over the years, including a Springfield M1A, M1 Garand and a couple of different ARs. I'll do inexpensive and prefer KISS, but I learned long ago, cheap firearms are nothing but heart-breakers.

My current "truck gun" is an AR pistol, the Wolf Pup
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfPaint001_zpsmauf2rrz.jpg

OH58D
04-03-16, 23:46
I doubt most people are talking about abusing thier equipment when they call it a "beater". More likely its a gun that isnt particulary valuable and if it gets worn or scratched up there will not be any (or as much) remorse.

I take care of my jeep pistol, but if the anodizing wears off prematurely or the magpul furniture gets gouged due to the environment it is being subjected to, i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

You see it more with the AK folks, but I know what you're saying. I just don't like the idea of abusing the weapon by careless use.

Texpatriate
04-04-16, 02:11
I don't own a "sub $750" AR-15, but I do have a "beater/truck rifle". Mine is a BCM Midlength with an Aimpoint CompM3. Ain't nothin' cheap about it, and considering that it rides in the truck with me constantly and I may need it when my
Life depends on it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-04-16, 12:05

I have a mak90 that I want to update. It runs great as is but I want to change out the stock and grip. Can you give me any details on your stock and angled receiver adapter?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where his comes is from, but I'm using one from desert fox sales that uses ar15 buffer tubes.

noonesshowmonkey
04-04-16, 14:50
I don't own a "sub $750" AR-15, but I do have a "beater/truck rifle". Mine is a BCM Midlength with an Aimpoint CompM3. Ain't nothin' cheap about it, and considering that it rides in the truck with me constantly and I may need it when my
Life depends on it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think that the point of this thread was to step back and away from that attitude and see what folks have that is outside of / under the pricing tier of BCM and Colt, and to discuss the viability of those rifles for being abused and used on the range. Maybe that kind of discussion also happens a fair amount on TOS, but it is an elitist attitude here that squelches the conversation on this site, which is a damn shame. This is a broad, knowledgeable community. I don't need to own Ferraris to discuss a Ford Taurus, nor vice versa.

The Troy Carbine that I have, which carbines have been discussed at length here, was purchased well under the sticker price of ye average Colt, and has been flawless for over 2,000 rounds, and hasn't been cleaned more than once. I haven't rucked it over a mountain or taken it into a firefight, but any firearm that I would do that with, regardless of the name associated with it, would undergo a serious trial run in during a shooting package prior to the fight. No matter what, your serious gear gets shaken out, even if it has a pony or a star on the side.

Frankly, for what I paid, a melonited 4150 CMV 16" midlength with a free float handguard and some decent furniture is a steal and it has run just fine and is at or under 2 MOA at 100m, and would likely be tighter were I a better shooter or using an optic with magnification.

titsonritz
04-04-16, 15:00
I have a mak90 that I want to update. It runs great as is but I want to change out the stock and grip. Can you give me any details on your stock and angled receiver adapter?

ACE Internal Receiver Block (http://riflestocks.com/store/product61.html) + your choice of ACE Stocks (http://riflestocks.com/store/page3.html)

The adapted is not angle cut but attaches via the pistol grip nut/bolt for stability.

stwings
04-04-16, 15:00
As do I.

+1 PSA is good to go!

twm134
04-04-16, 16:08
ACE Internal Receiver Block (http://riflestocks.com/store/product61.html) + your choice of ACE Stocks (http://riflestocks.com/store/page3.html)

The adapted is not angle cut but attaches via the pistol grip nut/bolt for stability.

Thanks for the reply. I found it online after I posted.

My truck gun has always been whatever rifle I've had or was shooting the most at the time. I've abandoned the idea of cheap guns a while ago. They just end up being too much of a pain in the ass.

Jpoe88
04-04-16, 23:13
I think that the point of this thread was to step back and away from that attitude and see what folks have that is outside of / under the pricing tier of BCM and Colt, and to discuss the viability of those rifles for being abused and used on the range. Maybe that kind of discussion also happens a fair amount on TOS, but it is an elitist attitude here that squelches the conversation on this site, which is a damn shame. This is a broad, knowledgeable community. I don't need to own Ferraris to discuss a Ford Taurus, nor vice versa.

The Troy Carbine that I have, which carbines have been discussed at length here, was purchased well under the sticker price of ye average Colt, and has been flawless for over 2,000 rounds, and hasn't been cleaned more than once. I haven't rucked it over a mountain or taken it into a firefight, but any firearm that I would do that with, regardless of the name associated with it, would undergo a serious trial run in during a shooting package prior to the fight. No matter what, your serious gear gets shaken out, even if it has a pony or a star on the side.

Frankly, for what I paid, a melonited 4150 CMV 16" midlength with a free float handguard and some decent furniture is a steal and it has run just fine and is at or under 2 MOA at 100m, and would likely be tighter were I a better shooter or using an optic with magnification.

Which was exactly what I was getting at. I had a rifle fall into my lap today. Dpms receivers, psa midlength lightweight 16" in stainless. Utg pro 15". Magpul moe stock, k2 grip, sone flashy strike industries do-dads and mbus setup. Overall, it feels decent. But only time will tell at the range right? The bcg appears to be properly staked and carrier is chrome lined. I am concerned with the jp springs though. I wasnt looking for the rifle, just kinda fell into place.

I dont know what I want in a rifle yet. This is my first slim handguard full flat top. I dont mind a more expensive higher quality rifle, but I just dont know what I like as far as a certain style. Some guys like a3 and fsb. Some like carry handle and fsb, while folks like optics and such. Dont know where I fit just yet, and its easy for me to play around with a few for cheap and say that I have found what I like. Not 1 rifle fits everyones needs. And if this fits the bill, ill build something similar but out of better components and toss this one in the closet.

larryp
04-06-16, 21:50

I have a mak90 that I want to update. It runs great as is but I want to change out the stock and grip. Can you give me any details on your stock and angled receiver adapter?[/QUOTE]
ACE adaptor, and stock. The pistol grip is a Tapco SAW grip.

masakari
04-06-16, 22:02
My first "truck gun" was a 10/22 Ruger when I was a kid. It went everywhere with me. I've had other "truck guns over the years, including a Springfield M1A, M1 Garand and a couple of different ARs. I'll do inexpensive and prefer KISS, but I learned long ago, cheap firearms are nothing but heart-breakers.

My current "truck gun" is an AR pistol, the Wolf Pup
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/WolfPaint001_zpsmauf2rrz.jpg

Details on that brace and light mount please.

SteveL
04-06-16, 22:15

Not my gun but I'm pretty sure that's a Mossie light mount. I don't know about the brace.

titsonritz
04-06-16, 22:20
Not my gun but I'm pretty sure that's a Mossie light mount.

Correct

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?180148-Colt-6720-upgrade-suggestions&p=2263758#post2263758

masakari
04-06-16, 23:05
That's no mossie mount, they mount to a front sight base and that weapon does not have one.

brianc142
04-07-16, 01:05
I keep whichever one of my rifles I feel like using at the time in my truck. I don't subscribe to the truck gun theory. If I have a rifle in my truck (and I always do) it has an optic, sling, light and everything else I accessorize my rifles with. They are all set up basically the same way with very minor differences. There is nothing wrong with having a truck gun as long as you are competent with it and it's reliable, just not my thing. If I were to have a rifle such as you describe, I would probably go with a bare bones 6920 or AK of some sort.

brianc142
04-07-16, 01:09
Disregard

XD40Colorado
04-08-16, 14:11
This is my beater/truck rifle.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-moe-freedom-rifle.html

Intended purpose is in the event of civil unrest, to allow me to walk the 9 miles home from work and be protected. It's my "get home alive" gun. (It's kept in a locked case in my trunk with old pair of hiking boots, backpack with 3 loaded 30 round magazines, some beef jerky, granola bars and a liter of water)
1K rounds through it so far. Decent accuracy, ~2.5" groups 100 yds with M193. The finish on the upper and lower is a little rough, but it's been reliable.
For its intended purpose I would not hesitate at all to recommend to friends.

Pilot1
04-08-16, 15:35

My first AR was an Olympic bought during the AWB, prolly 1995 or so. It had a 20 inch HBAR barrel so was very nose heavy. However, that rifle was very accurate. Easily sub MOA, stock. I ended up selling it because it was to heavy, and unpleasant to shoot offhand. It was also reliable.

Linebacker
04-08-16, 15:48
I keep whichever one of my rifles I feel like using at the time in my truck. I don't subscribe to the truck gun theory. If I have a rifle in my truck (and I always do) it has an optic, sling, light and everything else I accessorize my rifles with. They are all set up basically the same way with very minor differences. There is nothing wrong with having a truck gun as long as you are competent with it and it's reliable, just not my thing. If I were to have a rifle such as you describe, I would probably go with a bare bones 6920 or AK of some sort.

A lot of folks dismiss the need for a vehicle rifle. In law enforment and military, the old saying is, handguns are only good to fight your way back to your rifle. That being said, why in the heck would a gun owner not carry a rifle in their vehicle? What is the likelyhood of an active shooter incident in your neighborhood??

T2C
04-08-16, 16:02
I keep a M1 Carbine in the vehicle. It's short, light weight and good enough inside 100 yards.

If you have any concerns about public perception, several people who have seen it thought it was a Ruger 10/22 and not comparable to an evil black rifle.

E_Johnson
04-08-16, 16:42
High value (vs. just inexpensive) is the key to me.

Got a BCM "blemished" 16" middy upper when they were running the free BCG and mod0 compensator deal for $399. MOE handguard for $20. Surplus MATECH BUIS and there's a functional and high quality upper for pretty cheap. Lower is a blem AP, put in a ALG trigger that was bundled with a full LPK from brownells, VLTOR A5 RE. Even after adding a flashlight and sling, the thing is still well south of $800. Runs great and didn't break the bank.

titsonritz
04-09-16, 00:29
That's no mossie mount, they mount to a front sight base and that weapon does not have one.

My guess it is a chopped FSB.

GFX_9
04-09-16, 00:31
An 870 lol

Jpoe88
04-09-16, 08:05
High value (vs. just inexpensive) is the key to me.

Got a BCM "blemished" 16" middy upper when they were running the free BCG and mod0 compensator deal for $399. MOE handguard for $20. Surplus MATECH BUIS and there's a functional and high quality upper for pretty cheap. Lower is a blem AP, put in a ALG trigger that was bundled with a full LPK from brownells, VLTOR A5 RE. Even after adding a flashlight and sling, the thing is still well south of $800. Runs great and didn't break the bank.

Thats what I was after was low cost high value. Ill keep checking BCM. Wonder if they have any of their demo uppers still? I keep buying parts that are on sale in hopes to build a few rifles. Parts bin is getting full

Mikill Drengr
04-09-16, 08:49
I haven't built it yet but it will likely be a PSA with the FN barrel

Pilot1
04-09-16, 08:55
I used to use my Russian SKS's for that role, now they are too valuable. G.I. M1 Carbine is also a good choice, but I am not going to use mine as a beater, they are also too valuable.

Jpoe88
04-09-16, 09:44
I know what you mean. A 91/30 wouldbt be a bad one either. ARs are so cheap to build nowadays, but that can compromuse qualityn as others have pointed out. Alot of companies have blems and sale bins. That I frequent.

brianc142
04-09-16, 22:56
A lot of folks dismiss the need for a vehicle rifle. In law enforment and military, the old saying is, handguns are only good to fight your way back to your rifle. That being said, why in the heck would a gun owner not carry a rifle in their vehicle? What is the likelyhood of an active shooter incident in your neighborhood??
I agree. I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. I don't have a specific "lower grade" truck gun but I always keep a rifle in my truck along with a simple plate carrier with plates loaded with a few spare mags. You can never be too prepared.

Dr Tran
04-10-16, 01:56
Started keeping my best rifle in the trunk about a month ago. Always thought that would bother me but no. Might as well have a great rifle if it's ever needed.

It's one of those BCM/Spike's/LaRue/Noveske/Magpul jobs.

MistWolf
04-10-16, 04:09

The brace is the new Galil Pistol Brace from Sig and sold through Atlantic Arms. Here's a link for a more detailed thread

https://www.m4carbine.net/https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182527-New-Sig-Arm-Brace-LMT-Gen-I-Enhanced-Bolt.php?182527-New-Sig-Arm-Brace-LMT-Gen-I-Enhanced-Bolt

The light is mounted to a rail section I modified to mount to the inside of the Slimline handguard with a screw. It's a prototype made from a section of plastic rail as a proof of concept. Later, I'll make one from aluminum. The plastic rail works but is more flexible than I'd like. Someday, I'll catch it on something and break it. Tomorrow, when I'm on the computer instead of the phone I'll look and see if I've got photos showing how the rail is mounted

Linebacker
04-10-16, 04:42
Started keeping my best rifle in the trunk about a month ago. Always thought that would bother me but no. Might as well have a great rifle if it's ever needed.

It's one of those BCM/Spike's/LaRue/Noveske/Magpul jobs.

Precisely.

squid8286
04-10-16, 13:15
My "Beater Rifle" (which I rarely carry in the vehicle) is a Stag lower with a Spikes Battle Trigger and Magpul MOE pistol grip mated to a PSA 14.7" (pinned FH) M4A1 barreled upper. I have a Surefire 6P with a 325 lumen head in an Elzetta 6 o'clock mount. I use a carry handle on it (like my other ARs.) I don't beat the hell out of it on purpose, but if it gets a nick or ding on it, I don't cry over it, either. I occasionally carry it in the vehicle if I go out of town for several days.

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 14:00
My "Beater Rifle" (which I rarely carry in the vehicle) is a Stag lower with a Spikes Battle Trigger and Magpul MOE pistol grip mated to a PSA 14.7" (pinned FH) M4A1 barreled upper. I have a Surefire 6P with a 325 lumen head in an Elzetta 6 o'clock mount. I use a carry handle on it (like my other ARs.) I don't beat the hell out of it on purpose, but if it gets a nick or ding on it, I don't cry over it, either. I occasionally carry it in the vehicle if I go out of town for several days.
Sweet. Thats what Im really looking for.

squid8286
04-10-16, 15:26
Sweet. Thats what Im really looking for.

It's not a "cheap" rifle. It's not overly expensive, though.

Jpoe88
04-10-16, 16:02
It's not a "cheap" rifle. It's not overly expensive, though.

Sounds like most of the bucks is in the light and mount!

Some folks assume cheap means poor quality or no regard to quality. I loosely meant carefully selected parts

squid8286
04-10-16, 16:18
It wasn't all that expensive. I have forgotten exactly what I have in it, but it wasn't outrageous.

sig1473
04-10-16, 16:25
My "cheap-o" rifle is a PSA CHF 16" M4 upper with carry handle mated with MOE handguard w/TLR-1 on a PSA CTR blem lower w/ALG QMS and MagPul ambi safety. I started adding the cost of it and it's coming in at ~$800 :eek:

nedceifus
04-21-16, 08:28
BCM pistol, 300BK 8.5" SigBrace. T1 on a 660. Not really cheap but compact & effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit47
04-21-16, 11:49
Don't hate, but mines currently a 580 mini 14 tactical in a beater police trade in bc fixed stock. I'm currently trying to fit the bc folder to it. I've got a dd m4a1, colt expanse I could use as well but always throw the mini in my subie.

nedceifus
04-29-16, 07:42
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/176cfd526d4bae466dfbbcee8c1f989d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithTexas
05-01-16, 16:32
My go tos are Colt 6920, but I've been pleased with the few PSA uppers and lowers I've bought.

Here's a decent low cost ($450 delivered) beater truck gun with a mid-length gas system, a Magpul MOE stock and grip, and a key mod rail to boot.

Not a bad feature set, and definitely not bad for the money.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-11-lightweight-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html

misfit47
05-01-16, 16:43
That's a pretty good deal there. Lot of features for a fair price. Wouldn't cry over it getting beat up either.

seb5
05-01-16, 20:20
I have 3 BCM's, if there's a beater in there it's the one without the Centurion rail, Surefire, and Giesselle. All three are 14.5 LW middies.

Campbell
05-01-16, 21:14
FR8 Mauser in .308 with dot on top

slowrx
05-01-16, 22:50
Generally, its a Bushmaster patrolman carbine because that is what they issued me at work. Its a basic setup with a fore grip, surefire scout light, and iron sights. I say generally because I carry it at work, and to and from work. Also, I would prefer to carry that to any of personal weapons because if god forbid I have to use it, its getting confiscated for the duration of the investigation (which could be a very long time). I would prefer to lose that to my own rifle.

jwfuhrman
05-02-16, 02:05
ATI 9mm AR carbine (form 1 pending) that takes Glock 17 mags. That way I only need 1 type of magazine with me for both my truck gun and my side arm

KeithTexas
05-04-16, 21:17
My "cheap-o" rifle is a PSA CHF 16" M4 upper with carry handle mated with MOE handguard w/TLR-1 on a PSA CTR blem lower w/ALG QMS and MagPul ambi safety. I started adding the cost of it and it's coming in at ~$800 :eek:

Nice. Just like I have done it, except with STR stock. A little better cheek weld to me and handy storage for earplugs or what not.

Colt 6720 at $800 is another quality route.

Also saw the PSA MOE kit at $450 shipped lately. That's definitely decent if you're looking for a cheaper beater.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-11-lightweight-moe-freedom-rifle-kit.html

People talk about gold and silver being a good investment, but I don't think it would take much of a crazy event to double your money on any of the above if you're buying for investment.

bloodlord77
05-04-16, 21:31
My "beater" rifle is a bushmaster xm15-e2s that I've "beat" out of 90% of its factory parts. I guess now it's a frankenmaster.

JohnnyRambo
05-05-16, 22:16
spikes lower (that I scratched up installing my first lower parts kit) and a PSA upper. Reliable and don't care if it gets scratched anymore than I already did to it myself.