PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in Richmond VA Greyhound Station - ST Trooper down

tb-av
03-31-16, 14:34
Suspect dead

The VA State Police were apparently conducting some sort of exercises there today. I can't understand if the exercise was actually in the Greyhound station or what.

No other info available yet other than it is considered over. No info on suspect or motivation.

Confirmed some exercise was taking place inside the station when the attack began, however St Police will not confirm that or what was going on.

ETA: Drug training exercise. The guy walked up to a Trouper and shot him.

ETA: Trouper was actually talking to the suspect for unknown reasons. Trouper dressed in BDU dark blue and identified as a Trouper by uniform. Suspect pulled gun and shot him.

At this point.... from VA Police press conference

1 Trouper being treated for life threatening injury -- still alive
2 citizen for non-LT injuries.
1 dead suspect - male

Next VA Police press expected near 7PM

JC5188
03-31-16, 16:53
Thoughts and prayers for the Trooper and those shot.

This shit is getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
03-31-16, 17:10
Terrible news, and right after Gabby Giffords was rattling the saber for more gun control.

tb-av
03-31-16, 17:37
Apparently the exercise involved going around and talking to people in the station. When the Trouper went up to talk to this guy he pulled a gun and shot him in the chest. He was reportedly deranged.

SeriousStudent
03-31-16, 20:10
Prayers sent that the wounded Trooper makes a full and complete recovery.

Sensei
03-31-16, 20:42
News reports out of Richmond are that the Trooper has unfortunately died from his wounds.

titsonritz
03-31-16, 20:42
He didn't make it, R.I.P. Trooper

Virginia State Police say a trooper has died after a shooting at a Greyhound bus station in Richmond (http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2016-03-31/police-3-hurt-in-bus-station-shooting-suspect-in-custody)

tb-av
03-31-16, 20:47
Chad Dermyer - RIP

Marine
Newport News PD and possibly Chesapeake as well
2014 graduate to VA State Police
Wife and 2 children - 37yo

Just finished the classroom portion of a drug interdiction program they have. The bus station exercise was the 'public' aspect of the training and apparently it involves interacting with the public.. which honestly I don't understand how that works.

The VASP spokesman at the time of this shooting was at a gathering of Officers in the middle of a memorial of I think he said the 28 that were lost last year. He started the review of what they know so far with 'we recommend that vests are worn, but it's a person decision sometimes'..

So for whatever reason he approaches this guy, within 30 seconds the guy pulls a gun and shoots him multiple times in the chest. Other officers returned fire to him and he ran into the restroom or restaurant, I couldn't understand which he said. He was then extracted from there. No mention of him being deranged. No known warrants but he did have a record. No ties to terrorism.

The first spokesperson said the officer was wearing dark blue BDU. This person said he was wearing fatigues. Both said, even so, he was identified as State police. The audio from police radio dispatch the woman kept saying over and over... be advised... there are officers out of uniform... be aware, officers inside not in uniform.

Everbody showed up. FBI in camo, RPD, VA SP obviously and Homeland.

I just can't understand what sort of exercise happens where State Troupers on a drug team just walk up to people and start chit chatting. The shooter is not from here but they don't know why he was here.

Was this the most unlucky happenstance imaginable? That's basically what it's sounding like.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-31-16, 21:37
What an absolute shame. I guess he thinks it's a class, so he doesn't wear a vest?

What kind of record did the shooter have? Did he have drugs on him?

Firefly
03-31-16, 22:15
Any day could be the last day. Plan accordingly.

If I had the power...that line would be on a sign on the entrance of every ready room and the exit of every bathroom.
And the sick poetry of it is I heard it from a real career criminal dope hound.

Especially these days. No riots on Troopers behalf. Just a funeral and bye, Felicia.

37....I'd like to say that's a full life. But it isn't.

At least dickspit got killed too.

26 Inf
03-31-16, 22:29
I just can't understand what sort of exercise happens where State Troupers on a drug team just walk up to people and start chit chatting. The shooter is not from here but they don't know why he was here.

You got it in the sentence where you reported they had just completed classroom of a drug interdiction program. The basis of public space interdiction is observing behaviors, approaching and initiating a consenual conversation and then taking it from their to where ever it goes.

There are things the officers need to be careful to avoid - hindering the person's ability to leave/move so that the contact turns into a stop which must be based on reasonable suspicion is one major pitfall; on the buses matching up person's possessions to the right person is a problem, as is initiating conversation while maintaining the consensual nature.

I'd bet the class split up into several section with one section going to the bus station, another on the highway making vehicle stops, etc. I'd also imagine the instructors were the plainclothes officers the dispatch advised of, they'd be better able to observe that way.

RIP Trooper Dermyer, Semper Fi!

tb-av
03-31-16, 23:19
What an absolute shame. I guess he thinks it's a class, so he doesn't wear a vest?

What kind of record did the shooter have? Did he have drugs on him?

Haven't said yet. They think they have some of his baggage. Latter tonight the newsguy did say again though that he was acting deranged or something to that nature.

tb-av
03-31-16, 23:38
You got it in the sentence where you reported they had just completed classroom of a drug interdiction program. The basis of public space interdiction is observing behaviors, approaching and initiating a consenual conversation and then taking it from their to where ever it goes.

There are things the officers need to be careful to avoid - hindering the person's ability to leave/move so that the contact turns into a stop which must be based on reasonable suspicion is one major pitfall; on the buses matching up person's possessions to the right person is a problem, as is initiating conversation while maintaining the consensual nature.

I'd bet the class split up into several section with one section going to the bus station, another on the highway making vehicle stops, etc. I'd also imagine the instructors were the plainclothes officers the dispatch advised of, they'd be better able to observe that way.

RIP Trooper Dermyer, Semper Fi!

How bizarre can it get. You are training for a job, in class, and get killed by the first person you meet while you are being observed in a totally random situation where no one is expecting anything to be a problem, for the very thing you are being trained for. That's hard to think about.

Dienekes
04-01-16, 00:01
No vest. In 2016.

What a waste. Now to plan the funeral.

SteyrAUG
04-01-16, 01:21
No vest. In 2016.

I wonder if they were even issued yet.

And it's no guarantee of anything. At close contact plenty of lowlifes, even the crazy ones, know to look for a vest and if they see one take the head shot.

Bottom line is everything about this is just wrong. Sounds like we lost a good one because somebody let a bad one walk around free.

Moose-Knuckle
04-01-16, 02:08
Suspect dead

The VA State Police were apparently conducting some sort of exercises there today.

I can't help but to notice that every time there is some headline grabbing shooting or attack that their is also a training exercise going on in the area.

This is how some conclude they are hoaxes/false flags/black swans OR maybe there was credible intel of a threat and the suspect(s) slipped the net so in order to explain the presences of specialized units and or large numbers of personnel in the area they just use the old exercise song and dance.

C-grunt
04-01-16, 04:58
Has it been confirmed that he was contacting the guy as part of the training? Maybe he just noticed the dude acting weird and contacted him while at the training.

Edit: I know guys who dont wear a vest. Stupid.

J-Dub
04-01-16, 07:13
No vest. In 2016.

Gee thanks for that insight. I can only hope if I'm killed in the line of duty some jackass will make a snarky comment about it.

Sensei
04-01-16, 07:14
I can't help but to notice that every time there is some headline grabbing shooting or attack that their is also a training exercise going on in the area.

This is how some conclude they are hoaxes/false flags/black swans OR maybe there was credible intel of a threat and the suspect(s) slipped the net so in order to explain the presences of specialized units and or large numbers of personnel in the area they just use the old exercise song and dance.

OR, maybe this trooper was participating in a training event and was coincidentally killed just like the VASP is reporting. Keep in mind that the most powerful man in the world couldn't keep an Oval Office blowjob secret. Yet about 200 local, state, and federal LEO's are perfectly concealing a coverup involving the death of one of their own? You think that they will do that while lying to his widow and two kids?

Crap like that makes me long for the good old days when LE threads were forbidden.

Ernst
04-01-16, 07:58
I will pray that the comfort of the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ be with and surround all who are now grieving. Very sad news.

tb-av
04-01-16, 08:04
Has it been confirmed that he was contacting the guy as part of the training? Maybe he just noticed the dude acting weird and contacted him while at the training.

Edit: I know guys who dont wear a vest. Stupid.

I can't seem to get a clear picture on that. I think it was actually both. IOW, he was there to apparently approach people that look or act the part that he was training for. That's what makes it so bizarre. I have even wondered could he have thought the guy was a plant as part of the training.

The shooter was James Brown III out of Chicago with a long criminal record. ... and no, that is not a 4-1 joke. Actually they say it's Aurora, which is apparently just outside Chicago.

ETA: The left isn't going to like this.... it doesn't fit the narrative.

Court records show James Brown III had been charged with murder, intent to kill, aggravated battery with a firearm, failure to obey police, resisting a corrections officer, aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, aggravated battery of an unborn child, numerous drug charges, intimidation, domestic battery, felony possession of a weapon, among many driving charges.

http://wtvr.com/2016/04/01/trooper-killer-was-from-a-chicago-suburb-with-a-long-record-and-anger-at-police/

26 Inf
04-01-16, 08:39
No vest. In 2016.

At this point, each year 30-35% of the officers killed by felons are not wearing vests, most officers have them available.

Many agencies issue vests as job essential safety equipment and require their officers to wear them anytime they are in uniform, some don't.

Perhaps, as someone mentioned, the Trooper hadn't been issued one yet. It could be Trooper Dermyer was not aware that the class was going to do the exercise and, because he was in a classroom setting, did not wear his vest.

I have a genius (literally) friend who never wore a vest (he was never on TAC). He had made, for him, an informed decision based on harm-to-activity ratios and decided the discomfort of vest wear outweighed the potential benefits. He retired before his agency made vest wear mandatory.

Yes, it is tragic.

tb-av
04-01-16, 09:16
Perhaps, as someone mentioned, the Trooper hadn't been issued one yet. It could be Trooper Dermyer was not aware that the class was going to do the exercise and, because he was in a classroom setting, did not wear his vest.

Headquarters is just across the river. I doubt they held a class in the bus station. In fact the classroom could have been the day before. But it's not far at all to get from headquarters to that bus station due to the proximity of both to the expressways. I doubt he didn't know what the schedule was going to be. Plus he was a 2 year Trouper. This was simply a new job title he was being trained for.

Averageman
04-01-16, 10:24
In my younger days while in the military, I traveled from Ft Knox to Anniston Alabama by Bus.
In the larger Cities we passed through we would occasionally have to depart the bus for a half hour or so for bus refueling or services. I quickly came to the conclusion there is no bigger collection of criminals or low lives than in a Bus Station.
God Bless this Trooper and his Family.

ggammell
04-01-16, 11:08
I wonder if they were even issued yet.

This wasn't an academy exercise. He'd been a trooper for almost 2 years with other LE jobs before that. This was a real world training scenario for an interdiction class.

platoonDaddy
04-01-16, 12:08
Product of Chicago! To all your LEO's stay-safe!

Va. trooper's killer reportedly hated cops, stoking new fears of anti-police climate

James Brown III had a criminal record in his hometown near Chicago before he gunned down a state trooper in Virginia Thursday. (Aurora, Ill., Police)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/01/va-troopers-death-came-in-training-exercise-gone-awry.html?intcmp=hpbt2

titsonritz
04-01-16, 12:39
Product of Chicago! To all your LEO's stay-safe!

Va. trooper's killer reportedly hated cops, stoking new fears of anti-police climate

James Brown III had a criminal record in his hometown near Chicago before he gunned down a state trooper in Virginia Thursday. (Aurora, Ill., Police)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/01/va-troopers-death-came-in-training-exercise-gone-awry.html?intcmp=hpbt2

But there would be a riot for the piece of dog shit had the shooting been the other way around.

tb-av
04-01-16, 15:09
Update:

Brown was in resturant.
Chad entered resturant.
Brown gets up and walks out to his bags that are in the main entrance area.
Chad follows him and then Brown walks away from the bags. Next Chad speaks to him for what is considered seconds. Brown was to Chad's right, side by side, and turned into him and fired.

.40 cal Berretta + 143 rounds unspent ammo. 2 partially loaded mags. Handgun was purchased legally 13 months ago but not by Brown - still working on that chain of custody.

No one knows what caused Chad to approach him or what was said. Expected only small talk due to how short the time contact was.

Brown was traveling from Raleigh-Durham to Chicago with stops in Rich and DC.

No drugs discovered.

The Training:
17 agents & supervisors

Some experienced. Chad was new to this counter terror + drug interdiction.

The exercise was both instructional and live. IOW, if something were noticed and/or illegal it would be handled as normal. IOW, not a 100% training. More like OJT. Refresher for some, new for some, instructional for some, but still live police work.

Chad was also the guy that recently found the dead child in the trunk of a car. The woman that had killed her child and driven around with it in the trunk... I think for quite some time. He also was apparently recently on social media for rescuing a dog ( maybe it fell through the ice, I didn't catch all of that ). Anyway, he was apparently a pretty sharp guy.

Also clarified that the uniform was fully patched chest and sleeves as identification.

Firefly
04-01-16, 15:26
We could MMQB some of this but it happened too quick.

Vests make for safer policing. Not safe.
Safer. No guarantee that he still would've survived.

He probably saw something in mannerism and demeanor but didn't have time to parse through it as dickspit decided he'd been made and took initiative.

Action beats reaction. Fact.

Whenever you approach someone for ARS (or RAS whatever) the joke is always on YOU.

These dubious MFers know what they are up to. You don't. You just have an idea or a hunch.

Moose-Knuckle
04-01-16, 15:57
OR, maybe this trooper was participating in a training event and was coincidentally killed just like the VASP is reporting. Keep in mind that the most powerful man in the world couldn't keep an Oval Office blowjob secret. Yet about 200 local, state, and federal LEO's are perfectly concealing a coverup involving the death of one of their own? You think that they will do that while lying to his widow and two kids?

Crap like that makes me long for the good old days when LE threads were forbidden.

So you inferred from my post that I'm claiming this to be a conspiracy?

That is not what I said at all.

While most times Occam's razor is the correct answer it does not explain away the coincidences.

Firefly
04-01-16, 16:07
The changing Richmond Greyhound Shooting narrative.

http://youtu.be/ePA8iyHn2BQ

What am I missing here?

tb-av
04-01-16, 16:15
The changing Richmond Greyhound Shooting narrative.

http://youtu.be/ePA8iyHn2BQ

That is absolute BS. The officer died shortly after the encounter. Just after 3PM. They were trying to delay the reporting so they could locate and notify his wife and two children.

The guy with glasses works for CH6 news. Rob Cardwell.

The guy on his phone is Mike Valerio with Ch 12 news.

In addition... Mark Holmberg was on his way to work... Reporter for CH6 News which is just a couple blocks away. He had the Police blow by him, and followed them. He actually got inside the yellow tape before the yellow tape was even there. Mark Holmberg saw the first two people loaded in the rescue squad. He described it as fast and "load and roll" or some such term. IOW, no IVs no nothing, just get to the Trauma center ASAP. That is where the confusion of two officers happened. It was actually Chad and the woman that got shot.

Not sure who the idiot is that made that video but it is total BS. In fact it even looks/sounds like some sort of overdub job. As do his others. I honestly can't tell if it's a joke like he's a Borat wannabe or he is just flat out nutz.

This was not some conspiracy. Just really bad luck.

Firefly
04-01-16, 16:26
So it's a conspiracy , now?

What's the point? What are they even trying to say what the point is?

Looks like a case of "shit happens" to me. Richmond is a shithole anyways.

tb-av
04-01-16, 16:28
What am I missing here?

The story kept changing from 6 people and 2 troupers. Dead, alive, dead. The guy that made that video is a complete jackass. Google "chris dorsey richmond" some of his nonsense is NSFW. I've actually never heard of him but apparently he is well known among reporters.

I watched the whole thing live and there was nothing shady looking. All the interviews were telling basically the same story from different angles. Even the ST Police guy said these exercises are done all the time. Some are even announced. In fact one was announced today for something. Telling people that live in a certain area to ignore the sirens.

All it is, is some nut case conspiracy theorist trying to get some web site hits. No one is even remotely suggesting this was something other than what has been reported. It was just really bad day of two people coming together. Even the SP spokesman said tht even he had had a vest it may not have done a bit of good. He said because it was so close, but I think what he was saying was the guy would have just shot him in the face. IOW, Brown was going to kill him no matter what, once he made that decision. Vest or no vest. In that specific set of circumstances with that guy, he was a dead man walking.

Firefly
04-01-16, 16:48
I see. No offense but I'm not googling up some dude that is either struggling with severely closeted homosexuality or going through his midlife crisis ungracefully and being Don Quixote with an iPhone.

When the time comes for me to go crazy....I'm just gonna go vegan or join a hippie commune.
Some people.

tb-av
04-01-16, 16:50
Richmond is a shithole anyways.

Actually that area is moving upscale pretty fast. In fact the bus station is probably the worse place in that vicinity. You are probably thinking of east and south east Richmond. Especially the 2nd precinct area across the river. That's supposed to be the nightmare assignment area for city LEO.

The Boulevard - where bus station is. That's not the same as The Belt Boulevard where 2nd P is. Two different sides of the James River. Totally different. Like walk around after dark vs get shot after dark difference.