PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Flash Hider

nightchief
03-31-16, 15:52
I recently acquired a Surefire Socom flash hider (SF3P-556-1/2-28) and am looking for some advice regarding its install from anyone who has installed one on their AR...

The directions say to use Rockset and the supplied shim set for the timing...

1) Is it necessary to time this flash hider if I will not be adding a suppressor?

2) How "permanent" is Rockset? Harder to remove that red Locktite?

I am adding the flash hider to 11.5 ELW bbbl on a BCM upper

Thank you,
NC

Coal Dragger
03-31-16, 16:02
Rockset is harder to remove than Locktite, you have to soak it in water to get it to loosen.

Timing the flash hider is really not difficult, I installed and timed my Surefire Warcomp according to their instructions and it worked fine. If you have a dial caliper you can measure the gap and put your shim stack together off that reading, or just build it up until the device times where you want it. Start with the lowest torque spec on your torque wrench and work your way up if the timing can't be made perfect with the .001 washers, I found 2-3 more ft-lb of torque at a time solved this nicely.

GH41
03-31-16, 16:51
Rockset is harder to remove than Locktite, you have to soak it in water to get it to loosen.

Timing the flash hider is really not difficult, I installed and timed my Surefire Warcomp according to their instructions and it worked fine. If you have a dial caliper you can measure the gap and put your shim stack together off that reading, or just build it up until the device times where you want it. Start with the lowest torque spec on your torque wrench and work your way up if the timing can't be made perfect with the .001 washers, I found 2-3 more ft-lb of torque at a time solved this nicely.

You may have to soak RT in water but you have to soak LT red with 500+ degrees of heat. Under no circumstances use red LT. If you aren't suppressing it no need to use RT either. Timing with shims isn't a big deal. You could even use a crush washer if you have a rod to check it with. The problem is if he doesn't shim it and use RT he is setting up the guy down the road that buys the upper that appears to be setup for a can and it isn't. It's too simple to do it right.

nightchief
03-31-16, 17:56
I wasn't planning to use red locktite to attach the hider, just no experience with rockset...I am concerned with removing the hider at a later time if I were to use the Rockset and curious if it work ok without it if torqued to Surefire's spec

You may have to soak RT in water but you have to soak LT red with 500+ degrees of heat. Under no circumstances use red LT. If you aren't suppressing it no need to use RT either. Timing with shims isn't a big deal. You could even use a crush washer if you have a rod to check it with. The problem is if he doesn't shim it and use RT he is setting up the guy down the road that buys the upper that appears to be setup for a can and it isn't. It's too simple to do it right.

556BlackRifle
03-31-16, 19:04
I wasn't planning to use red locktite to attach the hider, just no experience with rockset...I am concerned with removing the hider at a later time if I were to use the Rockset and curious if it work ok without it if torqued to Surefire's spec

If you are not going to attach a suppressor - don't use Rockset.