PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw Bar Lube as an AR Lube?

Whytep38
04-01-16, 12:19
Has anyone ever used chainsaw bar lube to lube their AR? I know there are all types of lubes out there, and people are dedicated to Mobil 1, FrogLube, etc. Each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages, and I'm not trying to start another "lube war" thread. However, I recently bought a chainsaw and the best bar lube I could find. I was very surprised at how thick it was (I was expecting motor oil viscosity). It seems like something that would stay in place better than any motor oil or specialty gun lube I've ever seen. Not being a chemist, though, I don't know what the potential downsides could be, so I thought I'd ask the collective M4Carbine mind about it.

GH41
04-01-16, 12:24
I wouldn't use it base on what the bottom of my 15 year old Husqvarna saw looks like but what do I know... I have been using BF CLP for as long as I remember.

Ernst
04-01-16, 12:25
I'd suggest sticking with well proven lubricants designed and manufactured expressly for the purpose of lubricating your AR 15 rifle.

wildcard600
04-01-16, 12:38
I wouldn't use it base on what the bottom of my 15 year old Husqvarna saw looks like but what do I know... I have been using BF CLP for as long as I remember.

Agreed, my saw is pretty nasty even after only a few years. Granted I dont clean my saw with any type of solvent but the tack additives in bar and chain oil give me pause as a weapon lubricant.

I use BF CLP, EWL or Valvoline synthetic since i've always got a bit left over after doing an oil change.

YMMV

Ernst
04-01-16, 12:40
Thinking more about this...my chainsaw is lubricated with the blood, guts and other organic matter from the Zombies I kill with it.

PS....OP great April Fool's Day joke. I finally got it, after it got me.

Whytep38
04-01-16, 13:05
I wish I could claim it was an April Fool's Day joke; that would have made me more clever than I probably am. But it's a legit question (at least for me). I've had about 70% good luck with "repurposing" things from one use to a different, unexpected use, so I tend to think along those lines. (I once knew a guy about 30 years ago who was starting his own brewery with repurposed diary equipment inside repurposed Matson Line car transportation containers. He made the best beer I've ever had, so I know the potential of repurposed things.)

I'd never seen bar lube before, so when I was adding it to the bar of my chainsaw, my first thought was, "Hey, this stuff looks like it might make a good AR lube." Wildcard600's comment about the tack additives is the kind of data I was looking for.

Primus Pilum
04-01-16, 13:20
2 parts M1S, 1 part ATF.

As good or better than anything out there and the price per/oz means $20 will last a lifetime.

All that wonder lube junk is just that. Designed to seperate fools from their money. Own and use WS, S2K, FC, Miltec, CLP, ect and none of them are as good or economical as M1S/ATF.

Jwknutson17
04-01-16, 14:23
I used some Bar/chain lube on a suppressed SBR about a year or 2 ago. Out on a TX ranch and nothing else was around. Forgot my slip2000.. Could have pulled the dip stick out of the truck and got lube that way, but just ran the bar/chain lube instead. Worked well. I did strip it clean and went back to my slip2000 when back in civilization. Was Stihl brand if that matters.

Dionysusigma
04-01-16, 17:25
2 parts M1S, 1 part ATF.

As good or better than anything out there and the price per/oz means $20 will last a lifetime.

All that wonder lube junk is just that. Designed to seperate fools from their money. Own and use WS, S2K, FC, Miltec, CLP, ect and none of them are as good or economical as M1S/ATF.

What are M1S and ATF?

Whytep38
04-01-16, 17:38
What are M1S and ATF?Mobil 1 Synthetic; auto-tranny fluid. Years ago, Armalite used to recommend ATF as an AR lube.

kantstudien
04-01-16, 18:00
It would probably work, but the real question is why? Why would you try exotic lube when stuff that has proven itself is readily available?

Primus Pilum
04-01-16, 18:15
Mobil 1 Synthetic; auto-tranny fluid. Years ago, Armalite used to recommend ATF as an AR lube.

ATF is not so much a lube as a corrosion inhibitor. Its one of the best things out there. Crack open a tranny with 15yrs/
150K miles on it and it looks new with zero rust.

The M1S is the lube, the ATF is a protectant. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Get some small oilers and some spray bottles and throw some in every bag, truck, ect and never be without.

I still run all the other crap, becuase I have so many bottles of crap given and bought over the years that I use whatever is on hand. Lube is Lube 99% of the time and just about anything will work in a pinch.

A 99% solution for 1% of the cost is a no brainer.

Skar
04-01-16, 18:33
I have use old moter oil as bar lube

bjxds
04-01-16, 21:21
Has anyone ever used chainsaw bar lube to lube their AR? I know there are all types of lubes out there, and people are dedicated to Mobil 1, FrogLube, etc. Each seems to have its advantages and disadvantages, and I'm not trying to start another "lube war" thread. However, I recently bought a chainsaw and the best bar lube I could find. I was very surprised at how thick it was (I was expecting motor oil viscosity). It seems like something that would stay in place better than any motor oil or specialty gun lube I've ever seen. Not being a chemist, though, I don't know what the potential downsides could be, so I thought I'd ask the collective M4Carbine mind about it.

I am by far an knowledgeable expert, but the idea is to keep the AR lubed/wet, not gunked up. I would think in the action it would collect all powder. carbon, dirt.... and do more harm than good, probably won't hurt, just more likely to slow down. The reason chain saw bar lube is so tacky is so it doesn't fly off, they make the same stuff for motorcycle chains.

I would not use it

samuse
04-01-16, 21:57
Way lube for lathes and other sliding equipment would probably be excellent. It's designed for heavy sliding metal parts, easy clean up, lots of corrosion inhibitors.

T2C
04-02-16, 00:10
Lucas gun oil was enclosed in the box with my new Sig P938. I noticed it was a little thicker than what I have been using and applied it to one AR rifle and two carbines. It has worked well so far. Time will tell.

Try the chainsaw bar lube, wring out your carbine and let us know how it works. Good or bad, some of us would like to know.

FlyingHunter
04-02-16, 06:30
Why not use lubes designed for firearms?

I've always used chainsaw lube for my chainsaw...that's what it's designed for. Maybe the gun lube would work, maybe it would result in a damaged chainsaw. I'm not using my expensive and reliable Stihl as a curiosity experiment. Nor would would I use my firearm the same way.

mk3mark
04-02-16, 07:23
I've used pretty much every kind of oil and grease (both automotive and "weapon") on platforms over the years and everything will work. Some things will work better than the other in different conditions, but rest assured you can lube your weapon with pretty much anything for ATLEAST a range trip. There's a lot of good weapon based products out there now and A LOT of snake oils. No matter what lube anyone prefers people they know darn well other lubes work just fine too.

rushca01
04-02-16, 07:31
I have three stihl chainsaws and I use stihl chainsaw bar oil in them and there is no way I would use that stuff in any of my guns. It's way to viscous. Also, why anyone wouldn't use one of the greener lubes on the market like slip 2000 etc. is besides me.

Inkslinger
04-02-16, 07:44
This thread is ridiculous. You can lubricant your AR with any material that's made to, well...lubricate. Should you? Probably not. It's amazing the number of people who can't just use something intended for firearms.

Whytep38
04-02-16, 08:48
This thread is ridiculous. You can lubricant your AR with any material that's made to, well...lubricate. Should you? Probably not. It's amazing the number of people who can't just use something intended for firearms.Your comment is ridiculous. Have you ever read ArmaLite Technical Note 64? Here are some interesting quotes from ArmaLite, the company that designed the AR15, regarding ATF and Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (neither of which were originally intended for firearms):

Findings: ArmaLite has consulted with Small Arms experts at Rock Island Arsenal and elsewhere, and has conducted preliminary evaluations of the materials they recommended:

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) as a cleaner and light lubricant. ATF performs admirably as a carbon remover, and protects steel surfaces excellently (“Have you ever seen a transmission that’s rusty inside?).

Twenty weight engine oil serves in an environment that is far more strenuous than normally found in small arms so is normally quite successful. The Army authorities recommend synthetic oils such as Mobil 1. (In fact, one noted authority has used Mobil 1 as his personal firearm lubricant for over two decades.)

<snipped comments regarding copper fouling of rifle barrels>

Recommendations: Employ ATF as a small arms cleaning agent, and follow with 20 weight synthetic motor oil as a lubricant.

Inkslinger
04-02-16, 08:56
Your comment is ridiculous. Have you ever read ArmaLite Technical Note 64? Here are some interesting quotes from ArmaLite, the company that designed the AR15, regarding ATF and Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (neither of which were originally intended for firearms):

How about bar oil? They do any testing on that?

samuse
04-02-16, 09:32
ATF stinks and motor oil will not even wash out of clothes.

I don't want that kind of mess in a handgun or a long gun that is always in contact with my clothes.

Sure, it lubes great, but damn near anything will. So that lets me choose a lube with other criteria as a selection point.

rushca01
04-02-16, 09:34
ATF stinks and motor oil will not even wash out of clothes.

I don't want that kind of mess in a handgun or a long gun that is always in contact with my clothes.

Sure, it lubes great, but damn near anything will. So that lets me choose a lube with other criteria as a selection point.

Exactly.

Bar oil has to be close to a 90 weight, it pours like molasses, at least the stihl oil I use does. On the flip side I wouldn't use slip 2000 in my chainsaws...

Whytep38
04-02-16, 10:04
How about bar oil? They do any testing on that?I don't know, and I doubt you do either. What is obvious is that they tested fluids that were not originally intended for firearms and then recommended some. So at some point, someone must've said, "I wonder if this [already available fluid] would be a good lubricant?" Which is exactly the basis of my question. Just because the answer doesn't always lead to "yes" doesn't mean the question isn't worth asking.

bfoosh006
04-02-16, 12:32
Read this link.... it spells out some things I hadn't thought of.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-192-gun-lubrication/

T2C
04-02-16, 14:25
Read this link.... it spells out some things I hadn't thought of.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-192-gun-lubrication/

I've used a little bit of everything to lube rifles over the past 40 years. For a lot of years I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, especially on the AR platform, and the article in the link makes me think it is a good choice.

The heavier, stickier oils may be better suited for use on M1 Garands where I don't use wheel bearing grease.

223to45
04-02-16, 15:28
Your comment is ridiculous. Have you ever read ArmaLite Technical Note 64? Here are some interesting quotes from ArmaLite, the company that designed the AR15, regarding ATF and Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (neither of which were originally intended for firearms):

When was that written? ? ATF has changed greatly over the years.

It is not as great as it once was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dusterdude
04-02-16, 16:44
Why not,it has to be better than it used to be years ago,have you seen the bullshit transmissions these days

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

223to45
04-02-16, 16:50
Why not,it has to be better than it used to be years ago,have you seen the bullshit transmissions these days

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
ATF used to use Sperm Whale oil, that is where ATF got its reputation. It has been decades since it has used it.

Yes I have seen the trans, that is why there are dozens of different types of ATF.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HKGuns
04-02-16, 17:38
This is a good read and his advice has served me well for years. It speaks to pretty much all of the commonly mentioned alternatives and gives a recommendation of what he considers the best, all things considered.

You can continue to use whatever floats your boat. It is certainly no skin off my nose.

Lubrication 101 (http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/)

Let’s be clear: there are no “new”, “revolutionary” lubricant products made for firearms.

[Ahem -FireClean- cough cough]

ATF is not perfect, however; aside from the aforementioned deficiencies, it does have a slight odor to it, the red dye used to differentiate it from motor oil will stain, and it’s not non-toxic. Particularly because of the toxicity I no longer recommend its use.

Bar lube would probably fall into the category below.

Gear oils: Too thick for the application. In addition, they contain tackifiers which gives them poor migration and lead to oxidization in open air, rendering them even more “sticky” – pretty much what we don’t want.

Motor oils: Generally good boundary lubrication (particularly the Havoline formulations), but very poor corrosion resistance and poor resistance to open-air oxidation. The biggest problem is that their pour-point additives often contain benzene compounds, which aren’t a good thing to have next to your skin on a regular basis!

Iraqgunz
04-02-16, 18:02
Please check yourself. The Armalite of then is nothing like the Armalite of today. Most of their stuff is mediocre especially in 5.56. That being said, we really don't need another lube thread. Use whatever makes you happy.