PDA

View Full Version : SBS / AOW Form 1 dimensions

Bluto
04-01-16, 13:49
I am finally getting around to submitting a form 1 for a side-by-side shotgun. I know you can only submit an application for an SBS, so what should I put on the dimensions for overall length if I am intending to create an AOW?

The gun currently has a 20” barrel with an OAL of 36” with the stock.

Here are the proposed lengths:
Barrel: 8” (will be once form is received)
OAL with chopped barrel: 24”
OAL with chopped barrel – final pistol grip-only configuration: 16”

Anyone else done one of these? What did you use for the dimensions?

BigWaylon
04-01-16, 14:24
A little confused by the post, but I'll give it a shot.

You're submitting a Form 1 for an SBS, not a AOW, right? Because you're not making an AOW...so that term isn't even part of the discussion.

If so, it's fairly straightforward. You submit how long the barrel will be in finished form, and same for overall length.

Bluto
04-01-16, 14:30
A little confused by the post, but I'll give it a shot.

You're submitting a Form 1 for an SBS, not a AOW, right? Because you're not making an AOW...so that term isn't even part of the discussion.

If so, it's fairly straightforward. You submit how long the barrel will be in finished form, and same for overall length.

Thank you for your input and sorry if the post is confusing. Let me clarify:

I want to make an AOW, but it's not an option.

I will submit it as an SBS, but want to use it as an AOW.

Should the overall length be the SBS friendly 24" or the finished AOW length of 16"?

BigWaylon
04-01-16, 14:36
It's still an SBS, no matter what...because it started life as a shotgun. SBS also includes "weapons made from a shotgun".

So, as I said, throw the term AOW out. I understand what you mean, but you're simply ending up with an SBS without a stock.

You file it for what you want to build. After that build is done, you can add a stock (since it's an SBS) if you filed the shorter length, or remove the stock (and it's still an SBS) if you filed the longer length.

As long as it's OAL < 26" and/or barrel < 18", it's still an SBS. Add a stock and a longer barrel, and you have a non-NFA shotgun you can sell without a Form 4, travel across state lines with, and hunt where SBSs aren't allowed.