PDA

View Full Version : bladetech cobra buckle instructor's belt

trinydex
04-01-16, 13:59
i bought 2 of these, one was a medium and one was a large. the reason i bought two was because the medium was too small. unfortunately the large is sort of too large. on with the review.

this belt is fairly novel simply because it pairs a 1" cobra buckle male end to a 1.5" cobra buckle female end. this makes the belt extremely easy to thread through pants.

the way they attach the 1" buckle is innovative. it's just a piece of 1" webbing that is sewn on the outboard side of the 1.5" webbing of the belt and the 1" webbing is closed off on the body side of the 1.5" webbing by velcro. the female buckle is attached the typical way with adjustable velcro tail.

other features. the belt has nylon inserts, plural because the nylon stiffeners are broken up into 3 sections. not sure why, but that's the way it is. the actual webbing of the belt is the slick, sheen, smooth type. not stiff, probably not abrasion resistant.

the cons. their sizing is awful. i don't know why they decided to size their belts the way they did, but i found myself between two sizes and i am a size 32 pants that wears a gun iwb, which puts me at size 33 waist (i would expect that this is a very common size).

because of the nylon stiffeners inside the webbing, you cannot adjust tighter than the point where the stiffener butts up against the female buckle (this exacerbates the sizing issue). because they don't include a lot of loop velcro on the webbing of the belt to catch the adjustment tail, when you adjust to full tight the tail wags and gets caught on belt loops. this can be remedied by sewing on an extra bit of velcro, but you'll need an industrial machine to sew through the nylon stiffener (or hug the edge of the webbing and not puncture the stiffener). sewing through the stiffener will actually rub the thread also and the thread might become "unsheathed."

my conclusion on this belt is that i wish it were perfect. i wish this staggered buckle system were executed by some other company like osoe that would have done it right. i wish they had made it out of stiff webbing so the stiffeners didn't have to be used. at the same time i wish they hadn't skimped on the velcro that holds the adjustment tail.

i'm not using this belt for anything serious, it's just the belt that throws onto pants quickly and easily and still handles an iwb gun well enough. it's the pants expedient belt. if it were a perfect product, i'd replace all my current osoe belts in a heartbeat.

quackhead
04-02-16, 04:45
The sewn 1" webbing is not so innovative. Have seen it on several others who use reduced size Cobra buckles on 2 or 1.75" belts. Blade tech is a holster maker- they wouldn't be my first, second,or third choice for a belt . A lot of gear / belt makers used a polymer stiffener for rigidity

trinydex
04-02-16, 05:37
please show an example of the same buckle staggering on a different belt, namely because unless they have this same staggered buckle sizing, they aren't attaching the 1" buckle in the same way. the 1" buckle is sewn only on one side and it is velcro on the body side of the belt. this allows the buckle to still be removed and the velcro can't come undone or snag because it is on the body side. it affords some adjustment also, but I would prefer not to adjust on that side of the belt.

there are many companies that sew on a 1" buckle and they may also have an adjustment tail, but that is not really the same way blade tech has done it in this belt.

quackhead
04-02-16, 10:37
Not staring a fight here. I'm just saying that plenty of other companies used reduced sized cobra buckles - Ares, Vertx ( raptor not cobra) and Volund are just a coupe that come to mind. They use a reduced size for both male and female- not quite sure why blade tech uses 2 different sizes for theirs. They all are adjustable for size variation - they also use reduced width webbing in the buckle attachment area . While they may not be exactly the same , they are all a very similar concept

quackhead
04-02-16, 10:46
I re-read you post. Are you saying it's so innovative because neither buckle is permanently sewn down? It also sounds like the tail on the female side doesn't have Velcro on the outer side to secure the lose end back to belt? Am I reading that correctly? I checked blade techs site for clarification and the belts were showing up as blank pages

trinydex
04-04-16, 16:02
i'm not trying to be antagonistic either, it's really hard to explain exactly what's going on with this belt without a lot of pictures which are not available through stock product photos.

my main complaint with the ares and volund style offerings is that these 1" cobra buckle belts all come with the "overlapping" stiff underbelt that the 1" adjustment webbing is attached to. these are all sub optimal because they increase bulk and complexity, it's essentially an inelegant solution to the problem.

there is no overlapping underbelt for the bladetech belt. the buckles come together and there's nothing underneath. the 1.5" webbing and the 1" webbing that attaches to the corresponding sides of the buckle are both adjustable. the 1" side, while adjustable, is made for less adjustment and more for holding the buckle head in place, while maintaining buckle head removal. the 1.5" webbing side has the traditional rigger belt adjustment style with a velcro tail.

the belt is poorly equipped from the factory, it does not have enough loop coverage to tape down the adjustment tail when it's at full tight adjustment. this i remedied by sewing extra velcro on.

additionally the belt has limited tightening because the nylon stiffener will eventually butt up against the female buckle head. this i remedied by opening up the belt and cutting down the stiffener and resewing. this increased the soft tail length in order to allow more tightening.

in my opinion, these modifications should not be required, this should be done at the factory so a more perfect product is provided to the consumer.

a better product with a more elegant (and more expensive) fix than the ares and volund offerings is the variable width belt from velocity systems.

http://www.velsyst.com/store/0/203/Enhanced-Variable-Width-Riggers-Belt.html

you can see that by design, these belts will have limited tightening as eventually the wider section of webbing will no longer feed into the buckle head and limit how tight the belt can get, however velocity systems has a larger sizing range and their loop velcro goes all the way around the belt so taping down the adjustment tail will never be an issue. also it appears the entire belt is made of stiff material so no internal stiffening agent is required.

rainbow5ive
04-12-16, 15:59
Does anyone know of a company that does a 1.75" belt, with the 1" cobra (or raptor) buckle? All i seem to find are the 1.5" variants. All my belt gear is already set up for 1.75", but i'm sick of having to remove the buckle to thread the belt through my belt loops.

trinydex
04-12-16, 17:07
Does anyone know of a company that does a 1.75" belt, with the 1" cobra (or raptor) buckle? All i seem to find are the 1.5" variants. All my belt gear is already set up for 1.75", but i'm sick of having to remove the buckle to thread the belt through my belt loops.

if you can't find one you might be able to modify what you got. milspec monkey sells staggered cobra buckles. I think you can even buy just one head of a buckle.

rainbow5ive
04-13-16, 18:54
You know, you may be onto something here.

trinydex
04-15-16, 19:24
http://www.skdtac.com/Ferro-Concepts-EDCB-p/fer.101.htm

found another option that might intrigue people it's a 1" 1" buckle belt that has 1.5 inch webbing that necks down at the buckle heads.