PDA

View Full Version : Frag hazard from the rear steel plate

Chatterbox
04-01-16, 19:50
A little bit of a back story - I already own 2 sets of ceramic Level IV armor. I figure it's my insurance in case things go sideways. Lately, I've been thinking of expanding my "insurance policy" with some additional plates, but having already covered the 1% contingency I don't really feel like shelling out several hundred more dollars to cover the 0.01% case - where I need to have 2+ sets of body armor. So, I'm looking to go cheap. :)

It seems to me that the main hazards of bullet fragments come from the front plate. The throat, the jaw, the inside of the arm are all relatively likely to be hit by pieces of lead or brass. The fragments from the back plate, by comparison, can end up in the back of your skull and your gluteous maximus. In some borderline cases they could hit the back of your leg or the area around the elbow joint. Obviously, this would not be any kind of fun, but those would be mostly minor nuisance injuries. Given all the above-listed considerations, I'm curious if others would feel comfortable wearing an uncoated back plate.

rattlesnake
04-01-16, 22:23
If you're not issued it, you probably will not need it. Or are you talking about as a civilian running around the neighborhood playing war?

MFS1589
04-02-16, 09:05
Tape a XL groin protector insert on the steel plate, reduces spalling - cheap $20 fix.

Chatterbox
04-02-16, 09:53
Well, my personal dilemma got solved - I found coated steel plates for very reasonable price. Still interested in general opinions on the subject.

DevL
05-20-16, 22:08
Well, my personal dilemma got solved - I found coated steel plates for very reasonable price. Still interested in general opinions on the subject.

Id rather have no armor at all than buy AR500. Having owned and used AR500 plates for felony suspect take downs, due to a supplier screw up on my REAL 3+ ceramic/UHDPE plates, I can tell you its the worst product related to police or firearms I have tried. I have nearly broken a tooth putting my vest on in a hurry, banged it into my forehead countless times, it hurts my back to wear more than an hour, is a pain in the ass to handle when in a hurry, fits poorly, lacks padding, and generally just sucks. It has no redeeming qualities and I will strongly recommend to anyone considering it to NOT buy AR500.

TheBearMedic
05-21-16, 22:00
Id rather have no armor at all than buy AR500. Having owned and used AR500 plates for felony suspect take downs, due to a supplier screw up on my REAL 3+ ceramic/UHDPE plates, I can tell you its the worst product related to police or firearms I have tried. I have nearly broken a tooth putting my vest on in a hurry, banged it into my forehead countless times, it hurts my back to wear more than an hour, is a pain in the ass to handle when in a hurry, fits poorly, lacks padding, and generally just sucks. It has no redeeming qualities and I will strongly recommend to anyone considering it to NOT buy AR500.
What did you end up going with instead? How do you like it?