PDA

View Full Version : UC Officer Shot 8 Times By His Own LT (ABQ, NM)

SteyrAUG
04-01-16, 20:20
This is one of the consequences of thinking a "gun" always equates to a "bad guy."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/albuquerque-police-release-video-showing-officer-shooting-undercover-cop-n549461

This could literally have been anybody since New Mexico is an "open carry" state.

Jarring videos showing the moments when an Albuquerque police officer was shot several times by his own lieutenant during an undercover operation were released Thursday, following the settlement of a lawsuit that awarded the wounded officer $6.5 million.

"I didn't know it was you!" says Albuquerque Police Department Lt. Greg Brachle moments after putting at least eight bullets into APD Officer Jacob Grant in January 2015.

Video from Brachle's lapel shows him running up to a vehicle that Grant was sitting in with suspects and yelling "gun," then promptly firing his weapon.

Grant and another undercover cop were attempting to buy $60 of methamphetamine from two purported drug dealers, and had pulled an unmarked police vehicle into a McDonald’s parking lot.

Firefly
04-01-16, 20:35
Were that me, LT would get a choice:
What does he want first....the lawsuit or the ass-whipping?

Then again, guys have held other uniformed police from neighboring jurisdictions at gunpoint before to write them a headlight ticket because they still had a gunbelt on.

It was like some shit out of Cop Land. That one where Rambo was fat.

I don't wish to be mean but officers have gotten fvcking stupider and more ignorant these days.

Used to, even if an officer didn't have college at least they had some common sense.

There's a LOT (not all, but a lot) of guys these days that make the dumb white cop from Sanford and Son look like freaking Columbo

El Pistolero
04-01-16, 20:44
Just saw this on my local news. I'm glad the undercover guy made it.

OH58D
04-01-16, 20:58
I know the family. I've done business with the father in law of the officer who was shot. The officer has so many internal injuries from the gun shots that he has been undergoing dozens of surgeries since the incident. He may never be able to live a normal life again, and his quality of life now is poor at best. I heard it was nine gunshots. Something went haywire with that LT. It's like he lost all control. Probably he should have picked another line of work from the beginning.

lowprone
04-01-16, 21:26
Probably he should have picked another line of work from the beginning.

About 6 out of 10 fall into that category now days.
A freaking traffic stop for any piddling thing is literally
a life and death situation .

Wake27
04-01-16, 21:29
I know the family. I've done business with the father in law of the officer who was shot. The officer has so many internal injuries from the gun shots that he has been undergoing dozens of surgeries since the incident. He may never be able to live a normal life again, and his quality of life now is poor at best. I heard it was nine gunshots. Something went haywire with that LT. It's like he lost all control. Probably he should have picked another line of work from the beginning.

After all of our officers that have been shot this year, it's not a huge surprise. I'd be very jumpy too.

26 Inf
04-01-16, 21:52
After all of our officers that have been shot this year, it's not a huge surprise. I'd be very jumpy too.

If you carry a weapon as a professional, jumpy isn't where you want to be.

Not much from the video.

Firefly
04-01-16, 22:05

THIS!!!

Cautious, yes. Jumpy, never.

Averageman
04-01-16, 22:34

Man I hate to hear that. A young guy like that, pretty much his life is forever altered over this, it's terrible.

Not much from the video.

Some folks take a job and then somewhere at some point figure out they just aren't cut out for it anymore, they need to do something else, or they just don't have it left to give. Unfortunately they don't always make a move, get out or back off a bit making it dangerous for everyone around them.

SteyrAUG
04-01-16, 23:22

For starters he doesn't know the four rules of gun safety, including "Be sure of your target and what is beyond it." You don't yell "GUN" and then light up an unknown. The gun wasn't being pointed at anyone so no immediate threat.

I'd hate to be the guy parked next to the suspect car with a gun on my belt. I'd also like to know the actual justification for moving to "deadly force" since it sounds like nobody was even holding the gun. Even if it was the drug dealer who got shot, this does not sound like a good shoot so far.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-01-16, 23:27
"You ok?" "No" with the biggest dose of WTF ever.

Eight shots and he lived and could have returned fire, probably wanted to.

l8apex
04-01-16, 23:53
How do you miss the morning brief and then get to go hot into an op is beyond me. Lots of ninja nasty in the video. Glad he made it.

El Vaquero
04-02-16, 00:29
Agreed. Rule of thumb is you miss the briefing, you sit out the op. LT or not. And why is an LT is participating on a buy bust anyway? Poor UC has got to have virtually no intestines left.

SteyrAUG
04-02-16, 00:51
Agreed. Rule of thumb is you miss the briefing, you sit out the op. LT or not. And why is an LT is participating on a buy bust anyway? Poor UC has got to have virtually no intestines left.

Something tells me there is an LEO equivalent to the military maxim "The most dangerous thing in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass."

C-grunt
04-02-16, 00:59
Maybe APD is different but everywhere around here Lieutenants are much more involved in administration work than street work. Why would a LT be involved in an operation like this?

SkiDevil
04-02-16, 06:25
That NBC video was better than the ABC news version shown yesterday.

The expert in the video is Scotty Reitz, retired LAPD, use of force expert, and owner of the ITTS training school. He writes a column in SWAT magazine and is a published author. There is a column where he wrote about the bungling LT (a unnamed individual from the LAPD organization) and how to deal with generally incompetent brass in a tactical environment.

I wonder if the Albuquerque Police Department uses the "color of the day" a reference to a specific piece of clothing provided in order to prevent shooting a fellow plain clothes Officer or under cover Officer working in the field.

If I shot and gravely wounded, or killed a friend, and colleague, I think that would be hard to live with. The LT who shot that Officer retired promptly and is a high risk person for suicide.

Many lives were ruined in this tragic, and preventable incident.

26 Inf
04-02-16, 10:09
That NBC video was better than the ABC news version shown yesterday.

The expert in the video is Scotty Reitz, retired LAPD, use of force expert, and owner of the ITTS training school. He writes a column in SWAT magazine and is a published author. There is a column where he wrote about the bungling LT (a unnamed individual from the LAPD organization) and how to deal with generally incompetent brass in a tactical environment.

I wasn't going to say anything, but I saw Reitz on the video. It kind of made me wish I hadn't bought his book.

But, that's just me.

TF82
04-02-16, 11:49
From what I read he didn't know there was an undercover in the back seat because he skipped the briefing and the undercover had his gun drawn because the suspect had a BB gun. I don't if that's definitely the way it went down but it sounds like a recipe for disaster. But aren't "buy busts" basically always a recipe for disaster? They're pretty much unheard of around here. I guess they make for cool episodes of Cops, but why not just get a recorded sale into the guy, or better yet, more than one, get a warrant and grab him in a more controlled way. We also don't really do no knock warrants for drugs either so I guess Sheriff John Bunnell would hate us.

Wake27
04-02-16, 12:17

Of corse not. But I don't find it surprising, sadly.

TAZ
04-02-16, 12:57
Of corse not. But I don't find it surprising, sadly.

I don't find it surprising that today's modern man has no effing idea what a professional is; I am still disgusted by it though.

The LT should be in jail; same as any other non government employee who shoots someone who doesn't need shooting.

A mans life is screwed for $60 of meth and a serious case of retardation. I'm thinking it's not a good trade.

Caduceus
04-02-16, 16:30
Wasn't ABQ being investigated for.so many shootings over the last few years? I remember a homeless guy last year making big news.

usmcvet
04-02-16, 16:43
Was it listed as overtime? I know officers getting ready to retire often work as many special details and OT as possible to get there last three as high as possible. When retirement is set as an average of your high three.

El Pistolero
04-02-16, 16:59
Wasn't ABQ being investigated for.so many shootings over the last few years? I remember a homeless guy last year making big news.

Correct. Albuquerque is the best city to be in if you want to earn your domestic CIB.

Firefly
04-02-16, 20:05
Correct. Albuquerque is the best city to be in if you want to earn your domestic CIB.

Not the only place ugh...

Averageman
04-02-16, 20:15
Domestic CIB, damn, that would be funny if it weren't so damned true.
The funny thing is Dope, especially Meth has an ability to bring crap to the nicest of rural communities.
It's a damn shame this guy nearly died trying to stop some one dealing $60.00 worth.

Firefly
04-02-16, 20:25
I think a Domestic CIB should be a Remington 870 instead of a Kentucky rifle and instead of a crest, two hands giving the bird.

Or the FAL one I saw one time on the internet.

SteyrAUG
04-02-16, 20:35
Domestic CIB, damn, that would be funny if it weren't so damned true.
The funny thing is Dope, especially Meth has an ability to bring crap to the nicest of rural communities.
It's a damn shame this guy nearly died trying to stop some one dealing $60.00 worth.

And money doesn't fix everything. I bet 80% of it goes to his medical expenses over time, also something like that takes years off your life expectancy.

Firefly
04-02-16, 20:53
And money doesn't fix everything. I bet 80% of it goes to his medical expenses over time, also something like that takes years off your life expectancy.

Truth. He'll either become real religious and/or inspirational or he'll live his remaining days in darkness.

Now is the time to get out of it. You don't get anything out it for your trouble and...

Real Talk. Who here has said "one day I'll motorbike the California coast", "one day I'll make more time for my loved ones" "one day I will do whatever" and you put it off for some fat police chief or some asshole major then you get messed up or dead.

Wee.

Sometimes the stuff Tommy Lee said at the end of No Country for Old Men and some of what Tom Cruise said in Collateral rings truer and truer each day

SteyrAUG
04-02-16, 23:21
Truth. He'll either become real religious and/or inspirational or he'll live his remaining days in darkness.

Now is the time to get out of it. You don't get anything out it for your trouble and...

Real Talk. Who here has said "one day I'll motorbike the California coast", "one day I'll make more time for my loved ones" "one day I will do whatever" and you put it off for some fat police chief or some asshole major then you get messed up or dead.

Wee.

Sometimes the stuff Tommy Lee said at the end of No Country for Old Men and some of what Tom Cruise said in Collateral rings truer and truer each day

I really wish him the best possible outcome given his circumstances. He pretty much deserves all the consideration he can get. Not sure how well I could deal with being lit up by my boss, who didn't make the briefing and really shouldn't have even been there, let alone for a $60 bust.

$6.5 million sounds like a lot of money until you think about the fact that Stella Liebeck received 2.86 million back in 1994 for spilling hot coffee on herself which adjust for inflation would be about 4.6 million today. She lived to be 91 years old twenty years after the incident. I wonder if this guy will get 20 more years?

jpmuscle
04-02-16, 23:24

Wee.

Sheeeet....I haven't even been on the job that long and I'm starting realize this....ugh

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Benito
04-03-16, 00:24
That LT belongs in prison, and deserves to lose his job at a bare minimum. Missed briefing but goes in like Rambo. Not cool.

SteyrAUG
04-03-16, 01:42
Just an update, looks like this event actually happened last year, but the video was just released.

http://www.abqjournal.com/749357/news/police-release-video-of-grant-shooting.html

The video release came one day after the city settled a lawsuit Grant had brought against the city by agreeing to pay $6.5 million. Grant will also receive lifetime coverage for medical expenses and disability retirement.

So that's better news than I originally thought.

Brachle retired from the department last month, just days before the Police Oversight Board announced that it had reviewed the video and evidence of the shooting and recommended that Brachle be fired for violating numerous policies in the shooting.

On Wednesday, Eden said the department has already made several policy changes, especially for undercover operations, in the wake of the shooting.

Footage of the shooting and other evidence are being reviewed by District Attorney Kari Brandenburg’s office, which will determine if Brachle will be charged.

I would hope so.

JC5188
04-03-16, 02:53
Geez...what an f'd up situation. Glad to hear the 6.5 is in addition to full med and disability.

Just a general question...how do you LEO's view the $60 worth of dope aspect? Doesn't seem "worth the squeeze", this incident notwithstanding. Knowing that the shit could go bad, and affect families for the rest of their lives over 60 bucks? Damn. You catch a Mexican at the border with $100k of heroin shoved up his ass, maybe. I mean, is it just an accepted "part of the deal" when you accept that job? If this question seems disrespectful, please disregard. That's not my intent.

It seems Police work is much like teaching...must be a calling, because it can't be about the money.

IDK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williejc
04-03-16, 02:57
In my area meth dealers have a thing for unicorn symbols and are known to be stupid and mean and always armed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-03-16, 03:17
That is just a little over $800k per shot.

Can't believe that LT is that much of a dipshit and that good of a shot. You'd think he would have pulled a couple of the shots.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-16, 03:25
It's amazing the UC lived.

It's amazing that the shit for brains Lt. didn't kill everyone in the car and the officers on the other side. He should have been behind his desk where he's um "experienced".

The link stated the UC was hit in most major organs. Anyone know what caliber and ammo the Lt. was slinging that day?

SteyrAUG
04-03-16, 03:48
It's amazing the UC lived.

It's amazing that the shit for brains Lt. didn't kill everyone in the car and the officers on the other side. He should have been behind his desk where he's um "experienced".

The link stated the UC was hit in most major organs. Anyone know what caliber and ammo the Lt. was slinging that day?

.45 and reportedly JHP. The .45 crowd is having a rough go of it this year.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-16, 04:03
.45 and reportedly JHP. The .45 crowd is having a rough go of it this year.

Yeah first the gun toting mom shot in back and now this, sheesh . . .

C-grunt
04-03-16, 04:39
Geez...what an f'd up situation. Glad to hear the 6.5 is in addition to full med and disability.

Just a general question...how do you LEO's view the $60 worth of dope aspect? Doesn't seem "worth the squeeze", this incident notwithstanding. Knowing that the shit could go bad, and affect families for the rest of their lives over 60 bucks? Damn. You catch a Mexican at the border with $100k of heroin shoved up his ass, maybe. I mean, is it just an accepted "part of the deal" when you accept that job? If this question seems disrespectful, please disregard. That's not my intent.

It seems Police work is much like teaching...must be a calling, because it can't be about the money.

IDK...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, the amount of dope isnt an issue. Getting a dealer is what it's about.

J-Dub
04-03-16, 06:29

Ya. I would rather be homeless than work for that dept.....they do things differently for sure.