PDA

View Full Version : MI free float handguard differences?

dirkmagurk
04-02-16, 12:17
I'm looking through Midwest Industries site shopping for a free float M-LOK handguard. What exactly are the differences between the G3, G3 SSM and the regular SSM series? They don't really specify anything on their site. I've heard about issues with some generations of their rails mounting system. I want to get the most current model with all the bugs worked out.

Brahmzy
04-02-16, 13:15
Barrel nut, attachment methods and anti-rotation are the biggest diffs. Research those. Tons of info on them.

joeyjoe
04-02-16, 13:46
yeah, MI has quite a few options and, as brahmzy said, there is a plethora of info out there on their products. I know some of the older FF MI rails used a form of "friction lock" to keep the rails attached to the barrel nut. I'd stay away from friction lock. When selecting an MI rail, id recommend looking in the description for reference to a "patents pending torque plate system". There is a new piece that links the rail with the barrel nut. They were wise to go this route. Below is a link to the piece I'm referencing:https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/g3handguards_sb/g3mseriesbarnut_358.jpg

Press Check
04-02-16, 17:20
Between rails dislodging from the barrel nut, and rails not leveling with receivers, there are much better options out there.

Brahmzy
04-02-16, 17:36
Agreed. Not to mention adhesive.
They check all the boxes. Weight, profile, until you start looking closer, JMO.

dirkmagurk
04-02-16, 19:51
Thanks for the input everyone. I've already got two builds with BCM KMR 13 rails on them, now I want to give the M-LOK system a try. What are the best options out there for a FF M-LOK handguard? I know Centurion has the CMR in M-LOK now.

Brahmzy
04-02-16, 20:16
Thanks for the input everyone. I've already got two builds with BCM KMR 13 rails on them, now I want to give the M-LOK system a try. What are the best options out there for a FF M-LOK handguard? I know Centurion has the CMR in M-LOK now.

SMOS Arms.

They made the NSRs for Noveske. Nuff said. Best/thinnest MLOK offerings out.
Built 3 now, and they're great.

klawson
04-02-16, 20:33
The G3 is the newest version with the torque plate. Check out SLR. I have their ION m-lok rail and am pretty happy with it so far.

dmd08
04-02-16, 21:42
Have you looked at Geissele?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Live2Gun
04-03-16, 03:10
yeah, MI has quite a few options and, as brahmzy said, there is a plethora of info out there on their products. I know some of the older FF MI rails used a form of "friction lock" to keep the rails attached to the barrel nut. I'd stay away from friction lock. When selecting an MI rail, id recommend looking in the description for reference to a "patents pending torque plate system". There is a new piece that links the rail with the barrel nut. They were wise to go this route. Below is a link to the piece I'm referencing:https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/g3handguards_sb/g3mseriesbarnut_358.jpg

It doesn't "link the rail with the barrel nut". It's just an improvement to keep the rail from rotating. How these pinch the barrel nut is the same as the gen 2's. The gen 2's used little tabs that were prone to bending.

That being said I run a couple of the gen 2's on my AR-22's and they do just fine for that.

For anything other than that I'd look elsewhere IMO.

OP, I would look at Faxon if you want a friction FF handguard that's inexpensive, or as other's have mentioned, SLR or Geissele. ALG would be another good inexpensive option.

Auto-X Fil
04-03-16, 05:36
Seekins makes a very nice M-Lok rail as well. It has an extremely positive and close-tolerance four-screw mounting system.

jackblack73
04-03-16, 08:22
It doesn't "link the rail with the barrel nut". It's just an improvement to keep the rail from rotating. How these pinch the barrel nut is the same as the gen 2's. The gen 2's used little tabs that were prone to bending.

That being said I run a couple of the gen 2's on my AR-22's and they do just fine for that.

For anything other than that I'd look elsewhere IMO.

OP, I would look at Faxon if you want a friction FF handguard that's inexpensive, or as other's have mentioned, SLR or Geissele. ALG would be another good inexpensive option.
He's referring to the fact that G3s have tabs that lock on the barrel nut. It's not just a friction lock and it does more than prevent rotation. It makes it virtuality impossible for the handguard to slide forward.

hotrodder636
04-03-16, 11:24
Just recently got an ALG EMR V2 in MLOK. It is pretty lightweight, solid barrel nut and lockup. If you were looking at the MIs you should check the ALG out.

dirkmagurk
04-03-16, 15:59
How grippy is the texture of the ALG? It reminds me of the Troy VTAC, at least the looks of it.

Live2Gun
04-03-16, 16:10
He's referring to the fact that G3s have tabs that lock on the barrel nut. It's not just a friction lock and it does more than prevent rotation. If males it virtuality impossible for the handguard to slide forward.

I'm with ya now. My apologies, I was misunderstanding what he was talking about.

hotrodder636
04-03-16, 18:40
It has lateral grooves but that is about it. I wouldn't call it or any handgaurd of that style (BCM KMR, ALG EMR, Troy Alpha, MI SS-KM) "grippy", and I have all but the Troy.

How grippy is the texture of the ALG? It reminds me of the Troy VTAC, at least the looks of it.

joeyjoe
04-03-16, 22:40
@ live2gun: Yes! precisely what i was talking about. In a practical sense, the new torque plate DOES hook the rail up to the barrel nut. I don't own a G3, but if i was going MI free float, id definitely look to the G3s. The new torque plate seems like a great design improvement. The older friction lock stuff is unacceptable, in my opinion.

@OP: But seriously, i have a sneaking suspicion that the G3's deserve a look.