PDA

View Full Version : My Wife "Cleaned" My Workbench....

MassMark
08-22-08, 15:14
....And threw away my O-ring for my new BCM M-16 bolt.... :rolleyes:

She was trying to be nice. She's also OCD about the order of things and something snapped when she was down doing laundry. She spotted what "looked like and empty bag with a hole punched in it" hanging on my peg board. She threw it away. I always thought my workbench was sacred ground. In 10-years, she has never even approached it - except maybe to grab a hammer. Why she decided to "clean" it is beyond my wildest imagination, but it's now at Vicon producing a micro watt of electricity....

Is this a commonly available item at Home Depot, or do I need to order another one? I know I was supposed to put 1k through my build, (almost here!) before I added it to my extractor, but is there anyone running one without? Anyway, I know I can order one from Grant, but was curious if this little black magic was available locally...

MaceWindu
08-22-08, 15:18
My Wife "Cleaned" My Workbench....

What the heck were you thinking!? :cool:

Mace

MassMark
08-22-08, 15:27
What the heck were you thinking!? :cool:

Mace

LOL..It's never been an issue - until now. I came home last night from 15-hours working two jobs and went to the only place in the house I can smoke my pipe, (my workbench). I turned on the light and gasped: All the tools were neatly arranged, my cleaners, oils and toothbrushes were all on a shelf, Dewey rods hanging on the pegboard, (where once my O-ring lived in peace) - ammo cans lined up under the banch - she even used the Shop-Vac...God knows what she took up in that thing. :eek: She even took my Dewey patches out of the bag and lined them up, (largest to smallest) in a Tupperware container, (with a lime green lid no less). She was all proud too - even washed my Hoppes9 work mat. I curled my toes and smiled appreciatively as she came down to show me what she had done....

MaceWindu
08-22-08, 15:29
Sometimes bro, you have to hide the angst behind a smile! LOL!

Women see "junk", we see "tools and parts"...my workbench? OFF LIMITS! :D

Mace

Gramps
08-22-08, 15:30
My wife loves to get rid of things. It doesn’t matter if I told her I want that, if it is still there when she gets in a cleaning mood, it's GONE.

That’s why I have the "MAN" room downstairs, and she is forbidden to be in there unless I am there. And then she is still not allowed to touch any thing. She has the rest of the domain, but that room is MINE! She is a little jealous of the grand daughter that can go in there but not her. But the granddaughter loves to help reload. The wife doesn’t.

Jay Cunningham
08-22-08, 15:36
Thank her and buy her some flowers.

O-rings are cheap.

MassMark
08-22-08, 15:39
My wife loves to get rid of things. It doesn’t matter if I told her I want that, if it is still there when she gets in a cleaning mood, it's GONE.

That’s why I have the "MAN" room downstairs, and she is forbidden to be in there unless I am there. And then she is still not allowed to touch any thing. She has the rest of the domain, but that room is MINE! She is a little jealous of the grand daughter that can go in there but not her. But the granddaughter loves to help reload. The wife doesn’t.

That's funny, because my daughter is the same way. I let her do school projects there - anything she wants. She even helps me clean guns after we go shooting, but my wife never goes near it - until now. As for getting rid of things - this is not the first time - only the first time she has approached my bench. Before we met, I kept my PUR Hiker next to the sink, (seemed to make sense), for years. When she moved in, she decided to rearrange the cabinets - took me 2-years to find that filter....She's lucky I love her - bet she says the same about me...;)

You are so right Thekatar - some things you just have to let go of....

Gramps
08-22-08, 15:41
But we still love them don't we.

Seth Harness
08-22-08, 15:42

I gotta be honest, Im the same way to my wifes stuff. So if I throw something away of hers in "cleaning mode", I have to be accepting of that kind of thing happening to me also. Bottom line is these things are going to happen and you have to see the greater good... The gift of your wife doing something nice for you. :D

Seth Harness
08-22-08, 15:43

O-rings are cheap.

AGREED. ;)

theJanitor
08-22-08, 15:45

O-rings are cheap.

+1. nothing to worry about.

and i bet she's not as OCD as my ex. she used to take my screwdrivers to remove the faucet handles from the kitchen and bathrooms to clean the valve stems. and once, i came home and found the stack washer/dryer in pieces on the floor. she wanted to clean behind it and couldn't move it, so she dug out some tools and tried to disassemble it, hoping she could make enough room behind it to clean. O-rings are no big deal.

Gramps
08-22-08, 15:58
Don't get me wrong, I like having a clean wife, I can't stand a filthy disorganized household.
And yes I do love my wife. I'm queing 3 racks of ribs right now and made macaroni salad, will pick her up after work and take out to her bosses house for dinner tonight. Boss is a parapaligic and it is to hard for her to get around in our house so we go there. It's nice to have a boss she can get along that well with.
We men have to make it sound like we are in total control now and then.

ST911
08-22-08, 17:47
Mark- PM me your address, I'll send you a few.

28_days
08-22-08, 18:11
I know I was supposed to put 1k through my build, (almost here!) before I added it to my extractor, but is there anyone running one without?

I'm still fairly new so I might be missing something. You're referring to replacing it at the 1K mark right? Because unless I'm losing it (or just not understanding), Crane o-rings come stock on BCM and LMT BCG.

Link: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CRN-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dkit%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

David Thomas
08-22-08, 21:03
I curled my toes and smiled appreciatively as she came down to show me what she had done....

Smart man. I am not always that smart.

Jeffy
08-22-08, 21:16
....something snapped when she was down doing laundry...

There's your problem! Maybe she wanted you to do it. ;)

MassMark
08-22-08, 22:09
Mark- PM me your address, I'll send you a few. Thanks - much appreciated!

Smart man. I am not always that smart.

LOL - my wife is a box of dynamite. It took me some time to learn for sure, but after nearly 11-years, I'm getting the hang of it.... ;)

There's your problem! Maybe she wanted you to do it. ;)

She hates it when I do laundry - dishes too. She has a "way" she likes it done and even if I were to replicate it - she would still find something wrong with it. We're kind of traditional that way - she does the inside stuff - I do the outside stuff. With the exception of the cooking, (she's not a whiz in the kitchen). Besides, I'm working 3 jobs to get her through the final 2 semesters of nursing school, so I'm thankful she does it. I give her all the credit - getting her Masters at 46 - my brain shut down long ago... :)

ST911
08-22-08, 22:30
For those with a need for O-rings, you can order a known-good here:

http://www.marcorubber.com/orings.htm

Order p/n V1000-006, Viton o-ring (75D), $5.20/50. Order five bags and they're $2.00 or $2.50 a bag, something like that. For what they charge for shipping, you may as well order a bunch and pass them around.

sharps_74
08-22-08, 22:48
I'll bet that if you contacted the company that you got them from and told them what happened they'd send you a bag of them. Sometimes when the wife does something like that you just got to hug and kiss her and tell her "thank you". All with a :D on your face.

Stickman
08-22-08, 23:33

O-rings are cheap.

And O-ring all the flowers together....

MassMark
08-22-08, 23:36
And O-ring all the flowers together....

ROFL! :D At the prices Skintop posted, I think I'll make her a necklace - at least I'll know where to find them... ;)

Paul45
08-23-08, 06:33
I keep my "MAN ROOM" locked. 1- I don't want my wife to see how much STUFF I have. 2 - I don't want to hear about how much money I waste. 3 - I like the security of leaving partial projects on the bench and not worry "someone" will clean it.
There is a tool bench and everything else the wife will need in the garage but my "GUN ROOM" is locked and off-limits. I'd move a bed in there if I had room. It's quiet and secure.

Eye Spy
08-24-08, 10:09
:D

I would have reacted the same way you did if my wife did that .... can't really get mad at her 'cuz she was just doing you a favor. :p

Luckily, my wife does not touch my stuff .... guess she's afraid i'd tidy up her closet full of her bags and shoes! :D

MH64
08-24-08, 20:44
The wife is not allowed to touch my desk or my tools.

She has her own to clean and sort and forget where she puts things.

DHC45
08-25-08, 16:17
The more you buy, the cheaper they are. Shipping was a flat $11.46 no matter how many I bought. Got 250 O-rings for $21.46. Bagged 'em up 10 to a bag and gave most out to all my shooting buddies. Still have more than I'll ever need...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sales@marcorubber.com

Visit us often at: http://www.allorings.com

Item Subtotal: $10.00
Shipping Cost: $11.46
GRAND TOTAL: $21.46
Includes 0.00 sales tax (if applicable)

Subtotal reflects line item discounts of $16.00

-----------------Individual Item Breakdown-----------------

Item Ref. / Price ea. / Qty. / Description

V1000-006 / $5.20 / 5 (50 per Bag) / -006 Viton O-Rings 75D Black

------------------------End of Order-----------------------

kittyhawk
08-26-08, 10:41
I wish Mine would get in a cleaning mood..................

markm
08-26-08, 10:45
O-rings are cheap.

And not necessary in the AR bolt! :D

Sounds like the wife has the sense to leave the plumbing products out of the GUN! If you really want an O ring, I can look for the few BCMs that I haven't thrown away and mail them to you.

Bimmer
08-26-08, 19:41

O-rings are cheap.

+1. Marriage counseling is expensive. Divorce is a disaster. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Perhaps you should nicely offer to clean your own workbench, next time, if she'll just "remind" you to do it.