PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight issues

OIPactual
04-02-16, 21:40
I just purchased a BCM 16" middy from G&R. I installed my usual sights (DD fixed front and Matech rear) and noticed that I have to use a lot more of the elevation adjustment and slightly more windage than I am used to. I have used this sight combo for years and have never had a front sight need to be adjusted this high. The rear sight I can live with, but it's more right of center than any of my other rifles.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160402/7c41c652795d317d05f514539c73afa5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160402/06a8774042cb34bea59f283cd70a6122.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated. I tried the search feature but it works terribly on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
04-02-16, 22:18
You're worried about nothing.

Kain
04-02-16, 22:22

I second this. Have seen, and indeed have rifles where the windage is cranked a hell of a lot more than that. Seen, indeed have had with certain sights, Matech included, where to get the rifle zero we were concerned we were going to run out of adjustment. Rare is it that the mechanical zero is spot on in my experience. As long as you can get everything zeroed and there are no functional issues I'd just shoot it and not worry about.

wildcard600
04-02-16, 22:33
Looks fine to me. You should see my buddy's issued bushmaster duty rifle, the rear sight is at the edge of adjustment and the front site pokes out above the protective ears.

WS6
04-02-16, 22:55
I forget what it is, but there is a milspec for how much is acceptable. Your case looks acceptable.

RobertTheTexan
04-02-16, 23:39
I just purchased a BCM 16" middy from G&R. I installed my usual sights (DD fixed front and Matech rear) and noticed that I have to use a lot more of the elevation adjustment and slightly more windage than I am used to. I have used this sight combo for years and have never had a front sight need to be adjusted this high. The rear sight I can live with, but it's more right of center than any of my other rifles.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I tried the search feature but it works terribly on my phone.

Thanks in advance.

The only time I encountered this issue, but actually worse was when my front forward rail was slightly misaligned with my receiver rail. I learned from Docsherm to use an optic mount and center it at the joint of the rail and upper and force the alignment as you clamp down the mount. That wouldn't have anything to do with the elevation, but it's still a good trick to throw in the toolbox so I thought I'd share it.
I would concur with IraqGunz and Kain, and I have seen this particular issue between M4's that were assigned to me or that I fired. If your weapon zeros then your solid.

OIPactual
04-03-16, 06:25
Thank you for the replies. I must be lucky because on almost every one of my other rifles I didn't have to turn the front sight more than one revolution either way. I figured it wasn't a big deal I just never encountered it before.

Thanks again!

T2C
04-03-16, 11:40

I have to agree. I don't see a problem.

intense
04-03-16, 11:51
Glad to read that this is a non issue. Just zeroed my new build and ran into the same elevation adjustment issue. Got it running fine but early on worried I was going to run out of adjustment on the front sight post.

Molon
04-03-16, 12:04

Thanks in advance.

There's a reason that the sights are adjustable.

Etho
04-03-16, 13:43
The DD A1.5 rear sight on my work rifle is cranked way to the left, front sight is maybe one or two turns lower than being flush. Never have had one where the mechanical zero was even close.

Loose/shifted rails are definitely a problem that can cause windage issues. A guy I went to a class with had that problem not too long ago. The windage was cranked as far right as he could and still was shooting left.

quackhead
04-03-16, 15:11
I've seen and had numerous Colt/ LMT rifles with rear sight biased one way or another - not maxed out on windage, but very noticeable to left or right Elevation has always been pretty good. Maybe the front sight post is a bit taller?

OIPactual
04-03-16, 15:25
What was throwing me off was all of my other rifles that use this exact combo of sights, are almost perfectly centered, and maybe one revolution of the front sight either up or down. None of them were this extreme.

I know now it's a non issue, I just wanted to confirm and put a record of it out there for any others who may look into it in the future.

I think I'm going to try some other sights just out of my curiosity.

Whytep38
04-04-16, 15:30
Looks fine to me. You should see my buddy's issued bushmaster duty rifle, the rear sight is at the edge of adjustment and the front site pokes out above the protective ears.Sounds like one of my self-builts before I began reading up on who makes good parts. I got a Bushmaster LW barrel with attached FSB that was drilled noticeably off-center. Bushmaster refused to do anything for me. Given my situation at the time, I kept the thing but swapped the FSB pins front-to-back, back-to-front on the off-chance it might help. I got lucky, and now the rear sight dials in halfway between center and full left, and the front sight post base is about 1/4 turn below level.

As for the OP, yeah, like everyone is saying, your situation is fine.

T2C
04-04-16, 17:31
Looks fine to me. You should see my buddy's issued bushmaster duty rifle, the rear sight is at the edge of adjustment and the front site pokes out above the protective ears.

His department armorer should be able to center the windage on the rear sight.