PDA

View Full Version : Recommended ACOG for precision shooting?

Damascus
08-22-08, 15:51
Hello again everyone. I am the one that had the post, and bad experience with the Burris XTR-14... I am waiting for it to get back to Midway, for my refund. I am running out of time to get a good PRS/SDM combat optic before I have to depart.. I am not taking any more chances on cheap scopes, so I'm going to do my best to get an ACOG (having to sell my laptop and .45 pistol)... I am stuck between models though.. LettersFromEarth has personally helped me out preparing for this more than anyone would believe - he truly deserves a LOT of credit for being part of this forum's excellent reputation for helping members.
I need something geared more towards long shots, than CQB. My shots, from what I've heard from a friend over there, will usually average between 75 and 250 yds., and up to 400 yds. Because of this, I thought I could get away with the cheapest 4x, the TA01, since it has a simple crosshair. Also, I don't care about daytime illumination, as I've never used Ill. in the daytime, ever. I like amber color at night more than red, but that doesn't matter so much.
The TA01, and TA01-NSN interest me...
The TA11B, TA11F also interest me, although I'm not at all familiar with the TA11's, they must be newer... if they don't have as much magnification as the TA01/TA31, why do they appear to be much larger??
The TA31F, TA31-RCO M4 CP (USMC version), and my favorite so far, the one I'm aiming for, the TA31-RCO M150CP (Army version).. both RCO's come with KillFlash devices, but the Army version comes with Flip-caps, USMC doesn't).
Out of these scopes, does anyone have a recommendation for me? Is the chevron reticle on the TA31F and RCO as precise as the crosshair on the TA01's? Is it hard to get used to ranging using the chevron?
Also, the red/amber tube on top of the TA31's, isn't there on the TA01 - this tube is just for daytime illumination, correct?? Would that tube "glow" in the dark and give away my postition? Can the tube be covered up? Also, would the Killflash device work with all models? LettersFromEarth advised me that the Killflash would act like a sunshade, when I asked him if it would affect my image clarity ... could I use it at nighttime? Sorry for so many questions everyone, I'm just trying to absorb all the info I can, so I can make a more educated purchase, this time.. lol.

RallySoob
08-22-08, 16:27
i don't know much about the ACOG but I do know for sure that the tritium tube on top of it does not glow. If you cover it up it will not be able to absorb light for the reticle, you need it exposed as much as possible in the night time. I've read alot of mil reviews on the ACOGs and everyone accross the board prefers the amber color over the red, supposed to be easier on the eyes. Good luck to you man. I hope you find a sight that works

and the killshade will not effect night time visibility

marty
08-22-08, 17:50
I've been looking into them too for longer range precision shooting. The TA01NSN is probably what I will get IF I get an ACOG. I'm not to keen on the short eye relief though with that optic, that is the only thing holding me back, but the crosshair rectile is to my preference. I've shot ACOGs with the chevron (and with better eye relief) out to 100 yards but for me it was not precise enough to do what I wanted to do. I have no need for a chevron rectile as I have no CQB use with the rifle. So, I'm gravitating towards the TA01NSN. I use an old Colt 4x scope with the bullet drop compensator on a carry handle out to 600+ yards on steel targets with what is for me, amazing accuracy. The eye relief on it is a little better than the ACOG, maybe by 3/4 inch, at least for me.

Damascus
08-23-08, 00:47
I absolutely love the new TA31H's reticle, the horseshoe w/ ranging tree, I wish these were available on the TA11's as well.
Does anyone know why the TA11 series scopes are so much bigger than the TA01/TA31's? When their magnification isn't as strong (even though it's only a minute difference)....
I wish Trijicon would make a variable power ACOG - or a 30mm 1-4x Accupoint with some sort of rangefinding reticle... That'd be sweet.

Bushytale
08-23-08, 02:39
Damascus, the tube on top of the ACOG scopes is a fiber optic rod. It is there for only one reason, to pick up light for daytime illumination of the reticle. The reticles are also tritium illuminated for low light and night use. If you cover the fiber optic rod in daytime use it will not light the reticle. The tritium is not bright enough for day light illumination either. The killshade (ARD) will decrease the amount of light the scope takes in for low light and night use by a small percentage. The amber color is a better choice for most use as it gives a better contrast for most peoples eyes. Amber is the color that was originally chosen during the development of the Bindon aiming concept.

My recommendation for you is the Trijicon TR-21 Accupoint 1.25-4 with the amber triangle in a Larue SPR-E. Zero it at 25 yds and you will be minute of man to 300-325 yds. depending on ammo with no hold over.

Good luck with your choice and during your deployment

Bushytale
08-23-08, 03:04
The TA-11s are larger to gather more light and to get the extra eye relief.

LettersFromEarth
08-24-08, 09:11
Damascus,

Take whatever LettersFromEarth tells you w/a grain of salt. I know him and he's mostly full of $hit! LOL

Damascus
08-24-08, 12:23
Damascus,

Take whatever LettersFromEarth tells you w/a grain of salt. I know him and he's mostly full of $hit! LOL

LOL, Yeah right! You know as much or more about optics and mounts as anyone I've ever talked to! So yeah :) Thanx everyone for the help! Finally got some things sold, so, I'm down to 2 choices, the TA01-NSN and the TA31-RCO-M150CP Army... I like the NSN's reticle a lot more, but I know the RCO will serve me better as an all-around optic, so I'll just have to flip a coin LOL.

Damascus
08-28-08, 16:52
Well, I just ordered one, a TA01-NSN. I just love the amber crosshair, it worked for me in the Army, and it should work for me now, in Africa.
I ordered it from www.4scopes.com, they got some killer deals on ACOGs (as well as Nikons, Zeiss, and Burris's).
I'll post some pics and a review when it arrives, if you all would like to read about it.

LettersFromEarth
08-29-08, 17:29
TA-01 NSN...are you Amish or something and are scared of a little tech?!?! Thats the worst scope in the world, man! You shoud of went w/ the Barska knock-off...its WAY better and SOOOO much cheaper! ;-) Lol Good job, bro! Post pix when it gets in and let us know what dealing w/4SCOPES is like. Out.

Parabellum9x19mm
08-29-08, 22:21
i don't know much about the ACOG but I do know for sure that the tritium tube on top of it does not glow.

that's fiber optic, not tritium....the tritium source is not visible on the outside of the optic

Damascus
09-01-08, 00:10
What's the best option for lens protection? The rubber bikini cover deal that is coming with my ACOG is just going to be too slow to get off, and Trijicon doesn't list any flip up caps for sale... The TA31-RCO M150CP comes with a ARD that has a flip cap mounted to it, and a rear cap, does anyone know where I can buy one of these setups? If it fits the TA31, it'll fit my TA01-NSN, right?
Also, I'll probably have a MRD on top of the ACOG, so a rear flip up cap isn't going to fit, any other options for lens protection there?
Also, as far as ARD's go, I checked Tenebraex's website, and they list the RCO version for sale, but it's just a link to Trijicon's contact page, and Trijicon sells their own ARD as well, which is better? Do both accept scope caps? Thanx!

Battl3fr0nt
09-02-08, 23:10
Best bet would be the TA31F with the Chevron or TA01NSN with lines.. I like them both but I would pick the Chevron over anything..

Boss Hogg
12-17-08, 11:31
It's expensive and big, but the red chevron TA55 is an absolute ass kicking scope for precision use. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned above.

LettersFromEarth
12-18-08, 15:36
It's expensive and big, but the red chevron TA55 is an absolute ass kicking scope for precision use. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned above.

Good optic but not really made, IMO, for general use. I once deployed to a location where I met someone with a TA55 mounted on his M4. That optic totaly dominated his weapon to say the least and factor in its weight (at least compared to a TA31) leads me to conclude that for MOST applications the 3X, 3.5X, and the 4X ACOGs are better optic solutions.

BTW--looking through a TA55 at night is impressive to say the least ;)

Damascus
12-18-08, 15:45
Man, this is an old thread - I posted this way back when I was deciding which ACOG to buy - finally chose the TA01NSN.
I liked the 5.5x ACOGs, and would have gotten one if they were in my price range. I don't regret my purchase, there's no other ACOG I'd rather have for my shooting needs, BUT, I would prefer to have a TA11 IF they had the reticle that's found on the TA01-ECOS/TA31-ECOS.

abnartyguy
12-21-08, 12:47
Gents,

I know i picked up a NSN with mini-red dot for competition before i came over here but i never thought of bringing it with me. I did do a trade for a TA33-8 and ended up bringing that with me on a lark when i realized I'd be doing more "observing." So far the amber chevron with tree has become invaluable determining distances. I kinda wonder what my NSN would have been like, granted i was more afraid of bringing something that expensive over and loosing it, hum, later!
-ZM:cool:

TehLlama
12-21-08, 22:29
If not the M150, the TA01 is the best.

You might have some luck with the Progressive Machine & Tool parts to cover the front up.