PDA

View Full Version : Plinking Ammo 5.56 What do you use?

Lamented
04-03-16, 19:28
What 5.56 ammo do you plink with?
Price, Accuracy, Does it run clean or dirty, any problems with performance etc?

Thanks

Nightstalker865
04-03-16, 20:03
Wolf Gold .223 for me. It's cheap and loaded to 5.56 spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zane1844
04-03-16, 20:28
Wolf Gold, PMC Bronze.

Price is good, accuracy is fine. I am not sure if they are dirtier than other ammo because I don't care. No issues with either.

davidz71
04-03-16, 21:22
PMC Bronze 55 gr. seems to work well when I'm not shooting SS109 or CBC 77 gr.

pinzgauer
04-03-16, 21:29
Shooting up the last of my PMC bronze, converted over to wolf gold 5.56 now

Still occasionally shoot some steel case (Tula?) In my beaters.

Also shoot some ppu brass case (academy monarch house label)

Wake27
04-03-16, 21:37
Whatever brass is cheapest. I've never understood why people get hung up on plinking ammo. SD, or training ammo sure, but plinking is plinking to me.

themonk
04-03-16, 21:39
Wolf Gold

MegademiC
04-03-16, 23:39
Whatever brass is cheapest. I've never understood why people get hung up on plinking ammo. SD, or training ammo sure, but plinking is plinking to me.

This, as long as something isn't wrong with it (independence ) I buy the cheapest brass stuff I find. If I want accuracy, I load up 50 gr AE or 77gr privi.

Kdubya
04-04-16, 18:44
Generally, I seem to find the best sales on m855 and m193. But I'll pick up just about any brass cased I find around or below the 30¢ per round mark.

As far as accuracy out of mil-spec ammo I've found, and have seen others who agree, that IMI (not the Independece label, although I've not had an problems with Independence) and PMC X-Tac are the most accurate. YMMV on those particular rounds. But as some others have already said, range ammo is exactly that; range ammo. Unless it is remarkably unreliable or inaccurate in your particlar rig, you don't need to be too picky. Now, doing something like only shooting M855 to match a preferred SD load that's also of the 62(ish) grain variety may be wiser than just looking for the cheapest functional range ammo. At least your trajectories then remain somewhat consistent. Outside of matching Range and SD Bullet weights and ballistics, and finding one that goes bang every time, there's not much else I need when it comes to Range ammo. If the price is right, I buy it.

cougar_guy04
04-04-16, 20:42
PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, PP M193, or Federal 100rd boxes fromWalMart . . . whatever the cheapest, decent .223 55gr available is what I run for plinking/3-gun/whatever.

SteveS
04-04-16, 21:58
I reload . I look for sales on what ever bullets I can find cheap. Actually I really don't care much for rifle shooting. Loading 223 is fun.

Eurodriver
04-05-16, 07:01
Wolf Gold

Same.

tacticaldesire
04-05-16, 11:26
Range ammo is range ammo. If you're running drills or just looking to dump a few mags I don't see why it matters as long as it runs in your rifle.

themonk
04-05-16, 11:44
Range ammo is range ammo. If you're running drills or just looking to dump a few mags I don't see why it matters as long as it runs in your rifle.

Right, and the OP was asking for suggestions on what users are using that runs in their rifles.

bjxds
04-05-16, 18:24
What 5.56 ammo do you plink with?
Price, Accuracy, Does it run clean or dirty, any problems with performance etc?

Thanks

Whatever is cheapest..... which is mostly steel case. Tula, is about the best deal I can get. Wolf Gold seems to the best cheapest ammo over all. I have never had any issues reliability wise with any ammo. The Russian shit seems to be dirtier, but WTF, I run the gun till it need to be cleaned and start again.

bfoosh006
04-06-16, 08:24
Deleted

Lamented
04-06-16, 09:55
I prefer my plinking ammo to be accurate as practical.

I suggest you try some of everything you can find and see which one your rifle likes.

The difference in accuracy between barrels can be amazing. Mine have decided likes and dislikes.

IMHO, finding a round your rifle likes will pay off in much more useful training time.

You can focus on your trigger time rather then wondering if the ammo caused that miss.

My thoughts exactly

ColtSeavers
04-06-16, 10:43
I've found PMC XTAC 62gr m855 clone to be pretty cheap and accurate in my ARs. Just be aware that as an m855 clone, most if not all, indoor ranges will not allow it.

eddies66
04-06-16, 10:45
I usually use Tulammo for training and plinking only because it's the cheapest I can find when I buy it by the case. It is dirtier then some others and in my experience is less accurate when you push shots out past 100 yards but it always goes bang when you pull the trigger.

Turnkey11
04-06-16, 14:08
Whatever XM193 I can find cheapest, usually Federal packaging, I buy in bulk whichever package size I can get cheapest cost per round (not always the bulk pack.)