PDA

View Full Version : How to Stipple a Handgun (Glock)

ROGOPGEAR
04-04-16, 08:30
Gents,

I recently posted an instructional vid to YouTube on stippling a handgun, specifically a Glock. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/WcM6OBHEiqI

Big A
04-04-16, 13:45
Very good presentation, thanks for posting that.

ROGOPGEAR
04-05-16, 22:43
No problem.

Dionysusigma
04-06-16, 15:57
Regarding the mud/blood/sweat/oil/grease/etc on the grip that stippling solves, something I've always wondered is: How difficult is the stippling to clean?

26 Inf
04-06-16, 16:43
I simply use a GI cleaning toothbrush or a nylon machinist cleaning brush - no experience with blood, sorry.

thecolter
04-06-16, 16:44
Regarding the mud/blood/sweat/oil/grease/etc on the grip that stippling solves, something I've always wondered is: How difficult is the stippling to clean?

Not very difficult at all. The worst I've had mine was covered in mud, but a little soapy water, an old toothbrush, and a rinse cleaned it right up.

Tigereye
04-06-16, 19:05
Cool video
Thanks

antlad
04-11-16, 18:30

IME the dot type stippling really holds on to snow and mud and is a pita to remove. Usually have to thaw it out and blow with compressed air. Probably not as big of an issue not that I live in the good state of Tejas how ever this clay shit everywhere is probably even harder to remove. My current stippling technique is to dot with a sharp tip and then come back over to knock down the edges thus eliminating the craters. It produces a pattern very similar to the factory texture on the USP's. This pattern stays cleaner and still provides plenty of friction.

GO_ALLOUT
04-19-16, 22:15
No problem.
Great video and thanks!

Would you mind sharing the specifics of the grinding wheels, papers, and sanding blocks used(various grits, etc...)?

Also, looking at soldering irons, I see there are some with various heat settings and such...I'm assuming the more basic is adequate but any recommendations?

Just wanna get the right stuff the first time...bout to try my hand at this!

ROGOPGEAR
04-20-16, 19:43
Great video and thanks!

Would you mind sharing the specifics of the grinding wheels, papers, and sanding blocks used(various grits, etc...)?

Also, looking at soldering irons, I see there are some with various heat settings and such...I'm assuming the more basic is adequate but any recommendations?

Just wanna get the right stuff the first time...bout to try my hand at this!

Thanks for watching!

The wheel on the dremel was 120 I believe, I started out with 80, but that was too rough. The paper at the end was 120 as well, and the sponge after was finer, probably 220.

The soldering iron - just make sure you get a quality one that gets hot. I got a cheap one first that didn't get hot enough, or didn't stay hot enough long enough. The one I've used for my 3 glocks was from Lowe's, couldn't have spent more than $30, but it's been a while so I don't remember specifically. Just test it on the AR-15 grip every time before you start stippling on the handgun. Hotter is better, then you are just touching with the iron, instead of pushing. Really practice on the AR grips until you have something that looks and feels how you like, they are the closest approximation of the glock plastic that I've found.

Enjoy.

GO_ALLOUT
04-20-16, 19:59
Thanks for watching!

The wheel on the dremel was 120 I believe, I started out with 80, but that was too rough. The paper at the end was 120 as well, and the sponge after was finer, probably 220.

The soldering iron - just make sure you get a quality one that gets hot. I got a cheap one first that didn't get hot enough, or didn't stay hot enough long enough. The one I've used for my 3 glocks was from Lowe's, couldn't have spent more than $30, but it's been a while so I don't remember specifically. Just test it on the AR-15 grip every time before you start stippling on the handgun. Hotter is better, then you are just touching with the iron, instead of pushing. Really practice on the AR grips until you have something that looks and feels how you like, they are the closest approximation of the glock plastic that I've found.

Enjoy.

Thanks! I have a few laying around that I'll practice on and I was looking at some weller soldering irons and thinking I wouldn't want anything that got too hot but you brought up a valid point about touching vs pushing...makes perfect sense!